• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

E-sports is a business. This may come as a shock to a lot of people but competitive gaming is no longer 50 man LANs in the college auditorium on a Saturday evening. Serious prize money is involved, sponsorships, the tax man, etc. As a team manager at Fnatic, it makes complete and total sense to replace Era right before a major tournament like TI4 if he didn't look stable, whether in terms of in-game performance or out-of-game behaviour. That's what any manager in any other sport would do. Could they have gone it about it better? Sure. But the idea, of replacing Era, is entirely rooted in logic.

Well I think they were trying to drum up sympathy/support.
That doesn't mean "Screw the players and the rules, I have money" nor does that make it any less scummy if they actually are trying to kick Era. A lot of businesses do things because they are a business. That doesn't excuse it from being wrong.

huh. i thought the dota community always solved its issues with 1v1s mids. or so i was led to believe. just have icefrog 1v1 the fnatic manager or era 1v1 excalibur or whatever. winner goes to ti4 and loses before the main stage, loser gets a shitty hat. everyone's almost happy.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That doesn't mean "Screw the players and the rules, I have money" nor does that make it any less scummy if they actually are trying to kick Era. A lot of businesses do things because they are a business. That doesn't excuse it from being wrong.

Wishful thinking. I wasn't excusing them, I was saying it was logical.

A lot of logical decisions leave a bad taste in people's mouths.
Their thoughts are logical but actions unprofessional. They should never have appealed to the public in the hopes of getting fan support to pressure Valve to change their mind. It should have stayed between management and tournament organizer.

(I also think Valve's disclosure is 'unprofessional' as well even if they are protecting Era.)

I agree with this.

And the parenthetical statement. But, yeah, FACE is right. Diretide? Valve learned their lesson. We only had to wait 24 hours this time.

FACE

Banned
Their thoughts are logical but actions unprofessional. They should never have appealed to the public in the hopes of getting fan support to pressure Valve to change their mind. It should have stayed between management and tournament organizer.

(I also think Valve's disclosure is 'unprofessional' as well even if they are protecting Era.)

If Diretide is anything to go by then Valve being "unprofessional" and making a public statement is way better than the alternative.

manfestival

man this e-sports drama on here is like listening to the ladies in my office talk about the housewives shows and the kardashians. Its almost sickening

Shinypogs

E-sports is a business. This may come as a shock to a lot of people but competitive gaming is no longer 50 man LANs in the college auditorium on a Saturday evening. Serious prize money is involved, sponsorships, the tax man, etc. As a team manager at Fnatic, it makes complete and total sense to replace Era right before a major tournament like TI4 if he didn't look stable, whether in terms of in-game performance or out-of-game behaviour. That's what any manager in any other sport would do. Could they have gone it about it better? Sure. But the idea, of replacing Era, is entirely rooted in logic.

Well I think they were trying to drum up sympathy/support.

The problem here is that it functions with all the goals of a business but rarely the responsibilities of one. How many times have player contracts been garbage, non existent or not enforced? How many tournaments have never paid out, paid out less than they advertised or managers got the money and never gave it to players?

Organizations can look out for themselves and their profits without attempting to fuck over their employees. Looking at how major the prizepool got via crowd funding you'd think that maintaining a good image to your fanbase would be just as important as making sure your players are at peak performance. Sowing ill will in the community to ensure a better chance at one event could lead to a loss of support in future years and a wariness from players to join you in fear that you will try the same to them should they ever be below their best at an inopportune time.

Valve really really needs to get more involved and set some groundrules so that teams have more freedom to manage their rosters but players also have more protection in the case of shifting. I know they want to let the scene do as it will but that only leads to problems because a lack of regulation means it's gonna be players who suffer far more than anyone else.

Zeth

Did anyone post a 10 million thread gaming side?

"We will of course keep this confidential."
Hah. Wow.

They did - it became public weeks ago and Valve needed to clarify their position since Fnatic management was trying to rally public opinion disingenuously.

Wok

Valve really really needs to get more involved and set some groundrules so that teams have more freedom to manage their rosters but players also have more protection in the case of shifting. I know they want to let the scene do as it will but that only leads to problems because a lack of regulation means it's gonna be players who suffer far more than anyone else.

Actually, it would make sense to have official stand-ins in a team, so that it is not just the five players and the manager, but also 1-2 stand-in players. Any prize would be split between the players, including the stand-ins.

Yea this story is definitely with being on the gaming forum. Who doesn't like a bit of drama.

Actually, it would make sense to have official stand-ins in a team, so that it is not just the five players and the manager, but also 1-2 stand-ins players.

I agree. But then teams would have to be okay with splitting the prize pools 6 or 7 ways instead of 5 at every tournament. But I do agree in general.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The problem here is that it functions with all the goals of a business but rarely the responsibilities of one. How many times have player contracts been garbage, non existent or not enforced? How many tournaments have never paid out, paid out less than they advertised or managers got the money and never gave it to players?
This is due to the infancy of the scene itself. For whatever reason, organizations like Fnatic (or even Valve) don't learn from the lessons of sports. But I can't really fault them overmuch. As a video game person, I know jack shit about sports or the culture or history, especially with regards to management. These things take time, and shit like this helps put everyone on the fast track to a better organized scene.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
My daily hero challenge... Six attempts to carry 4 retards as Luna solo queue today. Six failures. The level of retardation in these games is staggering. STAGGERING.

edit: tell me it's my fault GAF http://dotabuff.com/players/1637848

Wok

Now that I am ranked at 2.9K instead of 2.6K, I can feel a big difference: teammates actually know how to play! Most of the time.

My daily hero challenge... Six attempts to carry 4 retards as Luna solo queue today. Six failures. The level of retardation in these games is staggering. STAGGERING.

edit: tell me it's my fault GAF http://dotabuff.com/players/1637848

You are either really unlucky, or it is your fault.

k6qf4u2.png

Wok

I agree. But then teams would have to be okay with splitting the prize pools 6 or 7 ways instead of 5 at every tournament. But I do agree in general.

It would be their choice:
  • either have stand-ins from the start, and therefore split the revenues,
  • or accept that you cannot ditch a player once he is officially invited to TI, and therefore avoid last-minute begging to IceFrog and Valve.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I'm really curious if this is coming from Fnatics manager(s) or the players. If it's the latter then that's a damn shame, since they've been a team for so god damn long.

Shinypogs

This is due to the infancy of the scene itself. For whatever reason, organizations like Fnatic (or even Valve) don't learn from the lessons of sports. But I can't really fault them overmuch. As a video game person, I know jack shit about sports or the culture or history, especially with regards to management. These things take time, and shit like this helps put everyone on the fast track to a better organized scene.

How did none of them learn from whatever policies regarding standins were being used or abused in CS, quake, the original Dota etc? I know the scene wasn't as big or developed as it is now but these had to be issues people saw coming from miles away as the scene grew. The contracts problem seems to crop up in every game and appears to be eternally unsolvable . Well minus cases like Riot and Kespa where one organization has complete control which can be both good and bad.

Bah, I suppose you are right though and this will force everyone to work harder to get a workable system hammered out sooner.

Fnatic should just concede and let Era play in the International. If they keep this up then they might just be banned for unsportsmanlike conduct.

I was playing shadow shaman, and my teammates told me I should put my serpent wards around the enemy tower (by casting them directly on the tower) rather than besides it like I normally do. Is there any reason for this?

So I've been playing for about two weeks now and I feel like I have a fairly decent handle on a few different heroes. Only thing is none of my friends play and I can't take playing with random teams anymore. The lack of cooperation is killing me. I know it's not like an FPS but I'm usually the only one with a positive KDR as well as being several levels above the rest of my team. Everyone always seems to want to go off and do their own thing instead of playing smart. So if anyone wants to party up send me a friend request. Steam ID is GlenChivas.

It says "No group or player records were found matching your search terms". Maybe you set your account to private?

Also, I'm a newer player who's been adding a lot of other people for that exact reason. I'd be happy to add you so we can play together, or at least set you up with the other friendly, communicating people I play with.

Alternatively, connect to the GAF and Giant Bomb chatrooms, there are often people looking to put together groups over there.

Quesa

Ok so I'm not sure I get the difference between Base ATK speed and IAS. Is BAS like a multiplier for IAS or is it the other way around?

BigAT

I certainly disagree with how Fnatic treated this situation, but does anyone else find it odd that EG has seemingly gotten a pass for the same thing? Fear has been streaming out 5-6 hours of Dota a day, so it's not like he's incapable of playing now. EG is certainly better off with Mason at this point since they have been practicing with him for so long, so it is hard to feel that EG isn't using Fear's old injury as an excuse to use a better lineup.

RS4-

I bet this weeks offerings are the best yet, especially because I didn't offer anything but 4 items....because I forgot to do it.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I certainly disagree with how Fnatic treated this situation, but does anyone else find it odd that EG has seemingly gotten a pass for the same thing? Fear has been streaming out 5-6 hours of Dota a day, so it's not like he's incapable of playing now. EG is certainly better off with Mason at this point since they have been practicing with him for so long, so it is hard to feel that EG isn't using Fear's old injury as an excuse to use a better lineup.

Don't worry, Fear got a paycheck comin his way with a note: "STOP FUCKIN STREAMING AND MAKE MORE DOCTOR TWEETS."

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I was playing shadow shaman, and my teammates told me I should put my serpent wards around the enemy tower (by casting them directly on the tower) rather than besides it like I normally do. Is there any reason for this?

not as far as i know. i would even say it is disadvantageous since your wards will be more spread out.

Ok so I'm not sure I get the difference between Base ATK speed and IAS. Is BAS like a multiplier for IAS or is it the other way around?

Calculating attack speed is kind of confusing with those terms so I'll just explain you how to do it.

Most heroes have a base attack time of 1.7. The base attack speed for everyone is 100, and increased attack speed is your agility + any IAS items (+30 from treads, +80 from mjolnir, etc.).

To calculate your attacks per second, divide your total attack speed by your base attack time * 100.

A lvl 6 Wraith King with strength treads and magic wand (29 agi): (100+29+30)/170 = 0.94 attacks per second.

A lvl 6 Juggernaut with a poor man's shield and magic wand (43.25 agi): (100+43.25)/140 = 1.02 attacks per second.

Hope that helps! Also I could be stupid and have this all be wrong, but I believe I tested this in game some time ago and the numbers worked out.

Rorschach

EG informed them way ahead of time. Fear hasn't been at odds with his team. Era contacted volvo asking them to uphold his invite to TI. Valve is looking out for the player so that management doesn't take advantage of the situation. If Fear had been asking to play back when this first happened, they probably would have taken the same action. If Era hadn't asked to go to TI, they probably would have let fnatic get away with this. Basically, they invited Era and Era still wants to play, so they're upholding the invite.

iamblades

EG has been playing with Mason for months, even before invites went out, so they were a proven TI level team with or without him.

More importantly, Fear didn't email valve telling them he could play but was being pushed out.

Sibylus

Banned
Also, Valve did keep the process confidential. Fnatic unilaterally decided it no longer needed to be and pushed a self-serving narrative to curry mob favor. Forced Valve's hand.

Could you imagine if Drew Bledsoe had emailed the NFL and told them Bill Belicheck was lying about his injuries so that they could play some random kid named Tom Brady over him? The course of history might've been forever altered.

BigAT

I mean less how Valve handled things (I think they acted appropriately, in both situations) and more the community's reaction. Seems to me that Fear was also forced out due to an excuse, he just accepted it better than Era did.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I mean less how Valve handled things (I think they acted appropriately, in both situations) and more the community's reaction. Seems to me that Fear was also forced out due to an excuse, he just accepted it better than Era did.

He got his hush $$$ and a promised piece of the TI pie before era did. Sounds like era sent that email to Valve and then got his hush $$$ and promised cut of TI afterwards, and now the whole thing has blown up.

Hupsel

Man anxiety disorder sucks I have this shit. Cant imagine a pro player having to deal with it since Dota 2 is such a tense game. Best of luck to him.

Rorschach

^they're going to show the x-rays and/or cat scans!
Could you imagine if Drew Bledsoe had emailed the NFL and told them Bill Belicheck was lying about his injuries so that they could play some random kid named Tom Brady over him? The course of history might've been forever altered.

NFL doesn't look out for players. That's what the NFLPA is for. NFL is about making money and the owners' best interests first. That letter would have been burned in the same fire as all those spy gate tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom