• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acinixys

i4SpGPN.png

We in the big leagues now?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They asked him for medical records to really show that he was able to play, but there's no evidence of that happening.
Did they lie when they said that was the entire correspondence? Obviously they don't have to attach his medical records, but at least show that there was an e-mail or something.

Regardless, it once again shows valve's incompetence in communicating.

Dunno what its like in Swedeland, or what the law is for cases like this, but medical confidentiality is a really big fucking deal here, You can't so much as hint at knowledge from medical records without losing your license and opening yourself to lawsuits, if you're a practitioner or nurse. The whole process is bound with layers and layers of red tape.

Well that's what I figured they'd do, but if you look at the back of the ticket there's a diagram of the arena. They show a separate building outside of the arena as "The Secret Shop."

Fuck. I hope they've thought this through. Maybe even hired a group that works with the NFL team up there to help them better understand how to manage 15,000+ people. Otherwise, it could be a nightmare. Last year was rough as it is and it was only 2k people.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
yeah bokr sucks. nobody is gonna like fnatic and now nobody is gonna like you get rekt

WOW bro i cant beleive i defended this person on rd2l, time to retract and tell sweetkissing the truth about how u conned ur friends into defending u with key bribery and willfully missed practice and replay analysis ez ez ez cy@

On a more serious note, yeah I took what fnatic said yesterday at face value without knowing the whole story, and I was wrong. Fnatic are dickwads for trying to kick era, I just didn't actually believe they would do that to a player that has been with them for years, and especially so because they haven't even done that well with xcalibur. I still think EG swapped out fear for the same reasons though, but they happened to get away with it ;).

They asked him for medical records to really show that he was able to play, but there's no evidence of that happening.
Did they lie when they said that was the entire correspondence? Obviously they don't have to attach his medical records, but at least show that there was an e-mail or something.

Regardless, it once again shows valve's incompetence in communicating.

I'm not surprised that Valve didn't even bother acknowledging whether or not they received medical records. That shit is a mess.

edit well haly

SamVimes

Dunno what its like in Swedeland, or what the law is for cases like this, but medical confidentiality is a really big fucking deal here, You can't so much as hint at knowled from medical records without losing your license and opening yourself to lawsuits, if you're a practitioner or nurse. The whole process is bound with layers and layers of red tape.

Yeah but the patient himself should be able to disclose anything he wants.

The situation seems really messy. I really wish there was another Era correspondence with Valve to see if he ever changed his mind, but yeah as it stands it seems like basically forced him out. Even if he did eventually agree that his state was dangerous that could easily be the result of pressure from the others and using his inherent worries about his own state of health. That part where they said he spent a day puking cause of stress sounds like it would cause anyone to worry even if doctors said they're okay.

Haly

Yeah but the patient himself should be able to disclose anything he wants.

He's not publishing this, Valve is.

When I switch doctors, I have to sign a disclosure agreement every time to give the new doctor access to my medical records. Sometimes, this is for doctors within the same hospital, like, down or up two floors from my referring doctor.

Era is not only not a US citizen, but Valve is a non-medical entertainment company. I might be overstating it, but it's an entirely different animal.

ksan

Dunno what its like in Swedeland, or what the law is for cases like this, but medical confidentiality is a really big fucking deal here, You can't so much as hint at knowled from medical records without losing your license and opening yourself to lawsuits, if you're a practitioner or nurse. The whole process is bound with layers and layers of red tape.

It's a really fucking deal here as well, the point is that Era probably should have sent an e-mail to prove that he was indeed okay, as he was asked to.
For example, if you take sick leave, you gotta get some evidence for your employer.

So I've been playing for about two weeks now and I feel like I have a fairly decent handle on a few different heroes. Only thing is none of my friends play and I can't take playing with random teams anymore. The lack of cooperation is killing me. I know it's not like an FPS but I'm usually the only one with a positive KDR as well as being several levels above the rest of my team. Everyone always seems to want to go off and do their own thing instead of playing smart. So if anyone wants to party up send me a friend request. Steam ID is GlenChivas.

Haly

It's a really fucking deal here as well, the point is that Era probably should have sent an e-mail to prove that he was indeed okay, as he was asked to.
For example, if you take sick leave, you gotta get some evidence for your employer.

I don't know if Valve can publish that without restrictions :x

ksan

I don't know if Valve can publish that without restrictions :x

Then don't write that it's the full correspondence, because it isn't.

I still don't understand why they didn't follow up with Era after Carn saying that they had his blessing to play with xcalibur.

Razzer

I'm still reading through all the posts here, but H4nni's email mentions that Era had a Skype call with the rest of Fnatic, where they explained they thought it would be best to play without him. Judging from the wording, it seems as though the players were genuinely worried Era was going to be throwing up everyday like at the bootcamp, and were making the decision at least partly out of fear for their friends health. Era took it as being snubbed and sent the email to Valve. H4nni claims that was a misunderstanding, and that the skype call had actually ended in complete awkward silence as noone knew what to say.

The final decision here is the right one by Valve. If Era feels he can play, he should be allowed to and Fnatic must be told to enforce this. However, let's not paint all of Fnatic as moustache twirling villains just yet, the situation seems far to complex for that.

SamVimes

He's not publishing this, Valve is.

When I switch doctors, I have to sign a disclosure agreement every time to give the new doctor access to my medical records. Sometimes, this is for doctors within the same hospital, like, down or up two floors from my referring doctor.

Era is not only not a US citizen, but Valve is a non-medical entertainment company. I might be overstating it, but it's an entirely different animal.

Oh, then what i mean is that they should be able to at least disclose that they did receive medical documents corroborating his story or something.

I've gotta say, that hearing Valve's stance on how the invites are for the players not the organization is incredibly respectable. Sometimes I worry about how e-sports teams and organizations treat their players, and Valve is basically ensuring that individual players can't be treated poorly while their team reaps the benefits. It really sucks that something terrible like this had to happen to be able to get some insight into their policy.

Haly

Then don't write that it's the full correspondence, because it isn't.

I guess.

(I tried the cider, it's pretty good, but as sweet as I expected it's about comparable to Framboise, which I also love.)

Shinypogs

I'm betting Era has been beaten ( or bribed) into submission at this point and Fnatic's counterpoint will be that they truly have his blessing to play with xcalibur/ that's he's suddenly ill again.

I have no respect for the people running the organization at this point but I don't have it in me yet to think poorly of his teammates, they seem like such a family.

Haly

Swedish chemicals!
ok, not really, or maybe?

I recognize the smell but I can't place
Rekorderlig is the shit. I love that stuff as a warm up before the heavy drinking starts.

What is this smell I'm smelling Razzer please help i don't want to die from Swedish chemicals.

Razzer

I recognize the smell but I can't place

What is this smell I'm smelling Razzer please help i don't want to die from Swedish chemicals.

I dunno man, I'm usually surrounded by too many other smells to notice.

It's Swedish chemicals, I've been turning more Swedish all year, my hair is almost blond!

That may have been 100% lies

Haly

I dunno man, I'm usually surrounded by too many other smells to notice.

It's Swedish chemicals, I've been turning more Swedish all year, my hair is almost blond!

That may have been 100% lies

If I drink enough of this will I turn into Joakim Ackterhall???
Don't worry, the only side-effect is you ending up like this

I forgot you guys were neutral during that clusterfuck.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just played a game with a Disruptor that got a Mek recipe before headdress or buckler because "it's the most expensive piece and the other parts are useless"

I don't know why I even fucking play this game anymore.

Also the Legion Commander in the game was blinking into their entire team of 5 and dueling the blade mail Timber. Fun times.

ksan

Just played a game with a Disruptor that got a Mek recipe before headdress or buckler because "it's the most expensive piece and the other parts are useless"

I don't know why I even fucking play this game anymore.

Also the Legion Commander in the game was blinking into their entire team of 5 and dueling the blade mail Timber. Fun times.

Maybe he time travelled from 4-5+ years back when you actually didn't get gold as a support.

BeesEight

Holy shit, Fnatic.

Honestly, this should have all been done behind closed doors. There's no reason to bring fans in on either side.

I doubt fnatic really tried to dump Era because they think xcalibur is better, but just because they could practice with him in person. Like the emails say, a lot of dota at that level is specific preparation for matchups and adapting to how teams play. They won't be able to do that with Era as easily while he is at home, would have with xcalibur.

And on that note I doubt xcalibur is an upgrade from Era. They won games because people weren't prepared for tinker and not-notail meepo strats, and you see these wins going away as xcalibur is figured out.

EDIT: Still very disappointed in fnatic for trying to box out Era, they've been my favorite team for a long time and this makes me doubt their character.

These are exactly my feelings. I'm really disappointed in Fnatic first trying to edge Era out (though I can understand how it came to that) and then waving all this in public. No one's going to look well at the end of this.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
The worst part about this is that Era's medical problems had to be dragged out into the open because of what appears to be greed from Fnatic's management, which would be pretty despicable

Edit: the only Swedish cider worth a damn is Sommersby
Edit 2: it appears it's a danish cider. close enough

ksan

Just re-read the original statement, feels way more honest than valve's "oh, we got one e-mail from era, who obviously has gone through some mental issues, but this will make it easy for us"-statement.
The worst part about this is that Era's medical problems had to be dragged out into the open because of what appears to be greed from Fnatic's management, which would be pretty despicable

Edit: the only Swedish cider worth a damn is Sommersby
Shit, did we finally conquer those danish-bastards?!
I think it's made by carlsberg :p

edit: shit, you beat me... and here i was hoping we finally brought some welfare to the heathens!

Haly

E-sports is a business. This may come as a shock to a lot of people but competitive gaming is no longer 50 man LANs in the college auditorium on a Saturday evening. Serious prize money is involved, sponsorships, the tax man, etc. As a team manager at Fnatic, it makes complete and total sense to replace Era right before a major tournament like TI4 if he didn't look stable, whether in terms of in-game performance or out-of-game behaviour. That's what any manager in any other sport would do. Could they have gone it about it better? Sure. But the idea, of replacing Era, is entirely rooted in logic.
Just re-read the original statement, feels way more honest than valve's "oh, we got one e-mail from era, who obviously has gone through some mental issues, but this will make it easy for us"-statement.

Well I think they were trying to drum up sympathy/support.

Haly

I picked up the Rekorderlig on a whim cause it was on the counter at the liquor store while I was getting my Kraken.

BeesEight

E-sports is a business. This may come as a shock to a lot of people but competitive gaming is no longer 50 man LANs in the college auditorium on a Saturday evening. Money is involved, sponsorships, the tax man, etc. As a team manager at Fnatic, it makes complete and total sense to replace Era right before a major tournament like TI4 if he didn't look, whether in terms of in-game performance or out-of-game behaviour. That's what any manager in any other sport would do. Could they have gone it about it better? Sure. But the idea, of replacing Era, is entirely rooted in logic.

Their thoughts are logical but actions unprofessional. They should never have appealed to the public in the hopes of getting fan support to pressure Valve to change their mind. It should have stayed between management and tournament organizer.

(I also think Valve's disclosure is 'unprofessional' as well even if they are protecting Era.)

ksan

Well I think they were trying to drum up sympathy/support.

To me it seems just as likely that Valve wanted to prove that they were right by an e-mail that was actually a one-time thing that Era sent during a really bad period.
After all, they still said that it was the full correspondence. Valve's gonna look stupid to me if there was actually only one e-mail, or they lied about the full disclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom