• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
FINALLY DID IT! I finally finished Luna. It took finally getting a good support. Commended the HELL out of this Maiden.

ssotB3k.png

The only info I could see coming is more medical reports or later Era comments... maybe Skype audio or text logs? It's a little bit hard to believe that Valve/Erik hid information in that blogpost, although I wouldn't rule it out completely.

I'm starting to think that Valve should've followed up on Era's direct e-mail, although that wouldn't change their assertion that they invited Era FNatic not Xcalibur FNatic and the latter should have to qualify to gain entrance. I don't know how strong that argument is after they did alright recently at LANs and have been bootcamping together, but I guess in the end it's their tournament.

Skinpop

Member
I feel for Era, I've watched the young lad since his early days in competitive e-sports when he played for DM in HoN. I don't think the fnatic boys mean any harm to him, they are probably frustrated not being able to practice and compete with the full roster for the past few weeks and from their point of view they don't want to see a years worth of hard work go to waste. This whole ordeal sounds more like a communication issue than scummy things going on at fnatic.

Shinypogs

Member
Odds on Fnatic having proof EG did the same thing to Fear ( and that he is in shape to play) and that what's gonna be shown to try and force Valve's hand?

What should be Dota 2's shining moment so far is going to be forever marred at this rate.

Filth

Member
Now that I am ranked at 2.9K instead of 2.6K, I can feel a big difference: teammates actually know how to play! Most of the time.

You are either really unlucky, or it is your fault.

k6qf4u2.png

thats crazy, lunas my best played hero.

Iihw7Er.jpg

i find it easy to gank really early mid game you farm like an animal and you go ham late game.

I think this is a case for teams having to carry more than 5 individuals on their roster ... Like 8ish. I've always felt that the whole practice of standins in general have been unprofessional.

What's the point of Fnatic posting shit like this and keeping people waiting? Just stirs up drama and speculation. Just post your side of the story if you wish, but don't be intentionally causing drama...

only way they are going to get dota money in the next month is by the ad revenue coming from this article.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The scene is experiencing serious growing pains at the moment.

On one hand is the ad-hoc, self-managed gaming competitions of yore, made by fans, for fans, with a small, maybe-thousand dollar pot and bragging rights for a year.

On the other is a multibillion dollar industry in the making, a new paradigm of "athleticism" and "competition", a form competitive entertainment that involves fans on an unprecedented level, because people actually play more D I G I T A L S P O R T S than they do real sports.

The potential size and scope of e-sports will not be contained, no matter how much players want to retain the casual gaming culture that was the breeding ground for this monstrosity. Both players and fans want the hype, the legitimacy, the scale of large sporting events, but also the community, and casualness of smaller gaming events, and it's clear they can't have both at the same time, especially not at a tournament as big as TI4.

And this is pissing off a lot of people, who see their beloved hobby being appropriated by market forces.

What the scene really needs is some sort of central authority, either explicit, like FIFA, or implicit, like a role model, to set standards and proactively predict and prevent this kind of shit with clear, concise, duplicatable rules. Such an authority would do wonders to add legitimacy to esports, especially in the eyes of governments all over the world, so that our players will get the same treatment as physical athletes. Ideally, this would be Valve, and not Riot, but at this point I wouldn't mind if Riot stepped up to the plate. It's certainly better than everyone standing around with their dicks in their hands going "not my problem".

Or else this drama is just going to repeat itself over and over and over and over again and esports will never get anywhere very fast. And maybe some people are fine with that, but I am personally not fine with the status quo. It embarrasses me, as a DOTA2 player and gamer, that these are the people who are and will be representing me to the world.

DanSaxon

Member
[...]

I couldn't agree anymore.

So i'm playing more HotS and the game seems to play itself, the only strat you need is a five man death ball. I can totally seeing this game appealing to little kids tho

^they're going to show the x-rays and/or cat scans!

NFL doesn't look out for players. That's what the NFLPA is for. NFL is about making money and the owners' best interests first. That letter would have been burned in the same fire as all those spy gate tapes.

Well now you gotta go and be all logical and ruin my metaphor.

you people are delusional. valve doesn't want to hire people to filter their steam games, a basic service that's guaranteed to generate them money and they'll always need, yet you expect them to create an entire committee/suborganization to manage not just dota 2, but esports in general. rofl

that's not even taking into account that this game, like every other game out there, will eventually get old and people will move on to something else. it happened to every multiplayer game that has ever existed, from street fighter 2 to world of warcraft, with the only exception being maybe eve online, which is more of an online spreadsheet than an actual game. its appeal is also extremely limited

the gaming companies and the sponsors also have nothing to gain by organizing esports. valve can raise money easily without having to hire one single person dedicated to manage the community, the sponsors don't want the players to get more rights and the viewers, outside of the hardcore forum goers, won't care. if the money is there, the players will go. so as long as the prize pools keep increasing, or even at where they are right now, there will be players, viewers and sponsors

bububu muh drama

ksan

Member
edit: actually he did
I agree with everything else that Haly said except that Valve or a game company doing it.

Apparently I'm the one who can't read the full statements and correspondence this time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
it happened to every multiplayer game that has ever existed, from street fighter 2 to world of warcraft, with the only exception being maybe eve online

I wasn't under the impression that World of Warcraft is dead... And Street Fighter 2 comes from a different era when games were completes experience with a clearly delineated start and end, not continuously compounded upon ad infinitum.

DOTA has existed in some form or another since 2003, which is when EVE launched. Its ancestor, Aeon of Strife, originated in 1999-2000. Even if DOTA2 bleeds 90% of its userbase within the next year, it'll still be a bigger game and more relevant than EVE.

It's like, you have no idea what you're fucking talking about, and I doubt you ever did. Just "lololololololo vidya gaem you silly kids". You can't even remain consistent in a single post.
that's not even taking into account that this game, like every other game out there, will eventually get old and people will move on to something else.
if the money is there, the players will go. so as long as the prize pools keep increasing, or even at where they are right now, there will be players, viewers and sponsors
So which is it? Are people going to move on or will the status quo continue? Who will shift the landscape first, the players or the organizers? It's a Catch-22, anyone can see this.

I don't even know why I bothered writing this, this post was a waste of my time. I'm going to go back to watching JoJo.

i never said it was dead. i said it got old and people moved on. and they did. the userbase keeps getting smaller.

i mean, yeah dota existed before dota 2. and it had tournaments with 2k prizes and 2k viewers. i'm sure dota 2 won't die completely in one day/year/whatever, but the games lose all but the most dedicated players as the years pass. even ftf2, which already had many of its traits -- valve support, hats, good updates -- keeps losing players. it's still doing ok today, but again, it's not gonna become more popular

and if the counter strike games are any indication, a previous game is in no way guarantee that the players will move on to the sequel. so, dota 3/tf3/etc aren't really guaranteed anything. but hey, there are people who believe in magical flying unicorns, so whatever

Apparently I'm the one who can't read the full statements and correspondence this time.

hey what's this about "this time". i'm from a third world country with a failed educational system. what's your excuse

Another Luna attempt. I got called a noob so many times in this game.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/745477787

On paper, I'm absolutely baffled at how this could have been a loss. I'm checking the boxes here.

50+ minute game? Check. Favors the team with more cores. Your team has the advantage here, 3 (Gyro, Luna, Puck) to 1 (Viper).

Last hit advantage? Check. In terms of pure cs, they were out-cs'd by 150 creep kills.

BKB's on all cores vs a team that is ult/magic-dependent? Check. Tide, Earth, and Lion are largely irrelevant, and Pudge only offers a disable in that situation.

Sheepstick and Euls for additional cc? Check. Puck getting play-making items.

...and yet, we have a loss. Outfarmed, out-gpm'd, out-itemized. You only finished 3 items (4 if you count treads) in 54 minutes. On an ez farmer like Luna, that's bad by any measure. But that's nothing compared to Shadowblade Gyro, who managed nothing but a Shadowblade and BKB (+boots) in 54 minutes, and almost the lowest net worth in the game. Support Leshrac (6/13/17) bought a Bloodstone...surely he never had more than a few charges on it after purchase. As if to add insult to injury, he purchased an Aghs...which means carry Leshrac...which means you plan on staying alive long enough for your ult to do major damage...but oh, you don't have a BKB so you get blown up by all the CC coming out of the enemy team. And then he had the nerve to buy bladmail as if his low-HP self can take any right-clicks anyway. Axe was as manly as ever, doing the most hero damage on the team along with you, but he needed some help.

No pipe (despite all the team fight cc), no urn and no mek to sustain the lead and push harder.

Sorry man, everyone on Dire sucks needs practice and a better understanding of how to itemize.

edit: I'mma watch this and see what happened @ 30 minutes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The fact that you think there's even the remote possibility of a DOTA3 shows just how out of touch you are with...

Everything.

The last half decade of gaming apparently flew over your head.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A discussion generally implies an exchange of ideas, whereas in this back-and-forth, I'm the only one contributing any semblance of knowledge.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Valve added some more emails to their blog post, anything interesting in them? I can't really read though them at work.

So Valve added another email to the letter chain