• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
What's the big deal? You play better with people you play with all the time. If there was a ringer, why isn't he always on your team, you know? Just seems like they switch people out because there's a problem with the current player. Do you really want team's playing like shit jsut because they HAVE to keep a handicapped in some regard player?
What does handicapping a team have to do with it? If you want the flexibility that a larger-than-5 roster avails to you right before the year's premiere tournament, pay for them like any other sporting team on the planet.

sixghost

3 weeks? 10 days son.

Preliminaries (Bellvue Westin) - July 8-14, 2014
GGYwVyk.jpg
t1404846000z4.png

Phase 1-3

Crap it's that soon?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Lets say nether CIS nor Fnatic can make it, do you think Valve would simply turn the 16 team round robin into a 17 team round robin and skip the wild card game? It would replace the original 6-9 game mini tournament with 16 additional round robin games.

Also, I voted Viper. I rather he have a remake then Slardar.

i think its funny the UNSEEN EMAILS were edited into the valve post before the fnatic post even went up

also

Broken confidentiality
We understand it was, with Era’s permission, that we released the course of events to the community. We agreed with Valve that emails shared were to be kept confidential, not to hide anything but rather to protect all of the emotionally charged parties present. It is extremely saddening that confidential information shared between two parties was laid out in the public eye- crucially excluding the one email that outlines Era’s condition with the attached Doctor’s certificate. We’ve read the Valve blogpost countless times now and without the email detailing Era’s medical condition, we’d criticize us too. In the spirit of transparency and as the confidentiality of our email exchanges have been made public by Valve, the community should know that all correspondence from our end has been approved by Era himself. This includes the blog post our Dota 2 team themselves posted and signed yesterday.

um no we can clearly read in the emails that YOU said it was going to be kept confidential valve didnt say shit

and you dragged it all out in the first place anyway

Shinypogs

Honest question if someone on one of the teams picks up a physical injury in the next couple of weeks would you have the same attitude? Like if Dendi picked up a shoulder injury would your stance be Dendi plays or Na'vi doesn't?

And let's not get into Excalibur being a better player than Era it just isn't true, he's better on Meepo and Tinker sure but he's shown to be weak on a lot of other heroes like Shadow Fiend and Lone Druid. Excalibur is just really inexperienced and it shows

At this point it's unfair to any of the other teams to allow standins for any reason because they wouldn't honestly be available for everyone. If Burning gets hurt today DK are straight fucked because there is almost no way could they get a replacement player a visa fast enough.

If everyone doesn't have the chance of making last minute substitutions in case of emergency than no one should have it. It sucks but in the spirit of fair play there has to be a point where you draw the line and stick to the rules.

All of that said I wish Era a speedy recovery and hope that his teammates are actually behind him right now and not pressuring him one way or another.

Also holy fuck but post TI4 valve needs to set the TI5 rules in stone fucking pronto.

Slardar is as bad as Viper IMO. They shouldn't have had to be pitted against each other so early.

For the record, I think I voted for Viper. Green bat...thing, definitely needs so help.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Also, Valve added an All Star Hero thing, who did you guys put down?

allstarheroes.jpg

I encourage all of you to put Earth Spirit down. I want to see him in something close to a pro game.

Aselith

What does handicapping a team have to do with it? If you want the flexibility that a larger-than-5 roster avails to you right before the year's premiere tournament, pay for them like any other sporting team on the planet.

The person doesn't get paid while he plays for the team?

FACE

Banned
Pretty hilarious to see Fnatic complaining about broken confidentiality when they went public with the whole thing and tried to paint Valve as bad guys.

Sibylus

Banned
The person doesn't get paid while he plays for the team?
I wouldn't know the particulars of what each team's standin compensation looks like, but it's obviously not a contracted, official position on the team (even if only a benchwarmer). Disposable on a minute-by-minute basis.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I want to see a Gaf team in the next Cevo.

Also, if the emails being posted by Fnatic are right, Fnatic was effectively already DQed as of a week ago, though it sounds like the Valve blog gave them one last chance to still attend (Which Fnatic seem to be saying they aren't taking, since they don't feel they Era can take)

shira

Alliance just put up a courier made by T_Vidotto, I like it:
268x268.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=277364698

Also, their really diffrent looking Silabear set got put up too:
268x268.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=277293716

Feels a little late though, these things have a lot of custom effects and I think Valve is going to end up shipping all the pro player related stuff in a single update next week, they may not have time to really implement them.

Tvidotto really downhill since his wife started working with him.

Also, Valve added an All Star Hero thing, who did you guys put down?

allstarheroes.jpg

I encourage all of you to put Earth Spirit down. I want to see him in something close to a pro game.

Not interested in the slightest.

BrL8JWECAAEDRD0.jpg

My Godznezz

Shinypogs

I voted earth spirit for the all star thing because I imagine he'd incite some rage, forgot phoenix though might have to replace Huskar with them.

Ketch

I voted earth spirit for the all star thing because I imagine he'd incite some rage, forgot phoenix though might have to replace Huskar with them.

Can you vote for heroes that aren't in CM?

Gonna pick legion, phoenix, earth spirit, terror blade, and brood mother then…. maybe necrophos, omniknight, spirit breaker… husker… and whoever else doesn't get picked a lot.

Shinypogs

Can you vote for heroes that aren't in CM?

Gonna pick legion, phoenix, earth spirit, terror blade, and brood mother then…. maybe necrophos, omniknight, spirit breaker… husker… and whoever else doesn't get picked a lot.

Yes you can vote for any hero, I also voted for legion cause I love her. I tried to keep an even mix of what I want to see and what I remember pros having fun dicking around with on streams.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

We’ve discussed this internally and do not see a path where Fnatic can compete in The International with a different team from the original five that were invited. The key issue here is less about player health, and more about time. The tournament will begin in a little over two weeks, which is well past the point where roster changes can happen.

backtrack backtrack backtrack, valve looking out for the player! the player's champion!

valve evil fnatic evil valve evil fnatic evil; seems like both sides presented a third of the complete picture

man at this point, fuck it, let fnatic play with xcalibur, set some more concrete rules for next tournament, and get this rain cloud off of fucking TI.

Hush money or not, the thing that all this comes down to is the doctor's note; did fnatic provide sufficient proof that Era's doctor believes Era's condition directly prevents era from participating? If so, one side has speculation (era was kicked); the other has more tangible evidence (a third party recommendation), like it or not.

FACE

Banned
backtrack backtrack backtrack, valve looking out for the player! the player's champion!

valve evil fnatic evil valve evil fnatic evil; seems like both sides presented a third of the complete picture

man at this point, fuck it, let fnatic play with xcalibur, set some more concrete rules for next tournament, and get this rain cloud off of fucking TI

Literally Faceless Void.

ElyrionX

Sup guys. Just wanted to leave this here. Lol

Sorry but I think anxiety attacks for a professional athlete is a very poor excuse.

If it's serious enough then don't play. Why did he even play in Starladder when he skipped the previous one? They should have just replaced him as soon as he was unfit. They clearly had reasons to stand by him and if he can't play in TI4 on the basis of health, why should Valve give them a free pass? Yes, I know the precedent had been set with Fear but I disagree with that decision anyway. Valve clearly wants to make this a top tier professional esports. But bending over just because teams can't get their shit in order is not helping.

Because you clearly know more about his condition than I do.

How do you know Fnatic isn't lying and is just trying to replace him with a better player? $10mn is at stake here. I wouldn't rule that out.

Actually, given the stakes here, no one should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Empathy is different from knowledge. Neither you nor I know how severe his condition is. My stance is that no one should be given the benefit of the doubt when the stakes are so high and it's an inherent nature of the job. How many of us have a realistic chance of winning a $5mn top prize split among five at any point in our life?

Yes, Valve needs to make the rules clearer but giving him the benefit of the doubt now is just making it unfair for the other invited teams.

And therein lies the issue. The team didn't get their house in order and the communication within is clearly lacking. They are a professional organization. It's not rocket science to judge the severity of a team member's medical condition when he could not attend an important tournament. And if he was able to compete in a tournament after that, then something is clearly fishy. Is he or is he not medically unfit? So who decides?

I haven't check the results of SL but was he performing noticeably poorer than his usual games?

Tobe

they always play prelims, that how they sort the winner brakcet and losers bracket. and yeah its 19 days left for TI (well for me to board the plane)

im collecting my ticket the 17th, so maybe do something that day with gaffers get a couple of beers or something?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
they always play prelims, that how they sort the winner brakcet and losers bracket. and yeah its 19 days left for TI (well for me to board the plane)

im collecting my ticket the 17th, so maybe do something that day with gaffers get a couple of beers or something?

My plane doesn't touch down until 9:50pm, on the 17th, so I'm not too sure if I will really be able to do anything that night with people. I imagine I will likely get checked in at around 11.

What places did all of you end up at? I booked a bed at the City Hostel near the arena.

Ketch

Well, it's a pretty complicated situation… I believe, that even today right now, there's absolutely no way that Era doesn't want to play in TI4… if DOTA is your life and you got invited to the biggest DOTA tournament of all time then you're going to want that so so badly, medical issues or not. It's easy to see how an 18 year old kid whose being told that he's out of the biggest tournament of his life might be mad enough to go straight to valve to complain about it…. even if his organization has best interest in mind.

And I want to give the benefit of the doubt to Fnatic and believe that the only thing guiding their decision making was the health of the their player… but once I start thinking about the insane amount of money on the line it becomes hard to fully comprehend much less trust the motivations of anybody…. Would you dick over a friend? and would you dick over a friend a for 5 million dollars? are two very different questions.

I do trust valve's intentions of doing right by the player, and I don't think that they are as effected by the amount of money in the prize pool…. but, once you have that size of prize pool "case by case basis" doesn't really cut it as official tournament law.

I am really happy that both sides provided as much information as they did. Even though I do feel a bit bad for Era having to share his private medical information with the whole world. It would be a whole lot worse, and everyone involved would look a whole lot shadier, if those emails weren't released.

I think the bottom line here, no matter how you parse it, is that this situation is fucked. The best outcome anybody can hope for is Era's speedy return to health and a positive change to the way the tournament is run to keep anything like this from happening again.

arab

That early? I'm not arriving until the 18th (at fuck all in the morning... going to sleep at the airport I think since I can't check into my hotel until later in the day).

well i figured it wouldn't hurt to visit the city ahead of the tourney + the situation was kind of out of my hand so i'll be exploring seattle

antigoon

I think it would be completely irresponsible for Fnatic to take Era to TI4 given the latest update.

There's nothing worth saving here. I wish they would just make an exception and add a reserve slot for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom