• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

Why do you think I don't compare Doom favorably to other junglers?

Because he has no presence before 6! Because he can't salvage a lane like I did for Sniper.

Salvage how? You were always in the lane and you guys would have wrecked those baddies just as easily with sniper doom. They were not good players.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Salvage how? You were always in the lane and you guys would have wrecked those baddies just as easily with sniper doom. They were not good players.

I only went up there when they got FB on Sniper. I figured I could kill two birds with one stone by messing with Doom and making space for Sniper. Doom would not have gotten those kills I did, not having a slow, or range, or two creeps to provide DPS.

Aselith

Look at this shit. 11 fucking minutes. Your team might as well be playing a 4v5. If they can't handle being one down, then your Doom pick basically loses the game for yourself. A hero that relies on your teammates playing well, in pubs, is a bad hero. You need to be the one to dictate the pace of the game. As a support like CM or VS, I have more impact on the game than Doom does until late, when he actually has items and is more than a glorified Ultimate.

Hence the support moniker. And I actually had it at 9 minutes but I died to a creep because I fucked up my devour lol

Raxious

So I started playing since yesterday and....I'm so used to LoL ( Movement wise and game speed ). If I can get 20 last hits I'm happy xD

Haly

And I actually had it at 9 minutes but I died to a creep because I fucked up my devour lol

I'm not talking about when you got Midas. I'm talking about when you actually did something for your team.

Aselith

I'm not talking about when you got Midas. I'm talking about when you actually did something for your team.

You mean immediately after I got my Midas when I went to defend a tower and we won the teamfight and then we rolled face for 20 minutes and won the game at 32 minutes? I'd have ganked earlier but they were doing fine in their lanes. Just depends on the situation.

Reckoner

Is Viper a good beginner character? I've been playing with it a lot, after trying Lion, Lich, Vengeful Spirit and Drow Ranger. I think I adapted well to all of them, but Viper seems to be the one I get more success - buying Shadow Blade and Sange makes things real interesting. He seems to be really good for ganking too.

Ultimatum

Banned
You mean immediately after I got my Midas when I went to defend a tower and we won the teamfight and then we rolled face for 20 minutes and won the game at 32 minutes? I'd have ganked earlier but they were doing fine in their lanes. Just depends on the situation.

what about if you got ganked in jungle? what about if you needed to gank before you got your 6? what about if your ult isn't enough to turn around a lost lane? what about when you fight after you get midas and realise you are weaker than everyone else because you got midas?

Razzer

So I'm reading an Arteezy Q&A on Reddit from his stream, and he mentions that he refers to his teammates by their in-game names, rather than their real names, even on lan. And in the EU couch stream everyone does the same, unless it's someone who has specifically made it so they are known more by their real name like James. Which makes me wonder, what do people think of this phenomenon? If anyone has been to a Gaf meetup, do you call each other by Gaf or real names? As more people grow up in the internet age do you think this will become more and more common, until having a nickname like that becomes just a normal thing, or will it be rare always?

So I'm reading an Arteezy Q&A on Reddit from his stream, and he mentions that he refers to his teammates by their in-game names, rather than their real names, even on lan. And in the EU couch stream everyone does the same, unless it's someone who has specifically made it so they are known more by their real name like James. Which makes me wonder, what do people think of this phenomenon? If anyone has been to a Gaf meetup, do you call each other by Gaf or real names? As more people grow up in the internet age do you think this will become more and more common, until having a nickname like that becomes just a normal thing, or will it be rare always?
I think it depends on both people. I know I think people using my online handle in real life sounds really dumb so I just ask them to use John.

Razzer

Is Viper a good beginner character? I've been playing with it a lot, after trying Lion, Lich, Vengeful Spirit and Drow Ranger. I think I adapted well to all of them, but Viper seems to be the one I get more success - buying Shadow Blade and Sange makes things real interesting. He seems to be really good for ganking too.

Viper is fairly good for beginners, yes. He is great at winning lanes which is the most important thing in lower pub dota, and he has two passives + two incredibly easy actives. And he doesn't buy items that are hugely skilful either. So you can focus on the positioning, awareness and last hitting parts of the game.

I think it depends on both people. I know I think people using my online handle in real life sounds really dumb so I just ask them to use John.

Yeah, I imagine this also plays a role. Some nicks roll off the tongue a lot better than others.

Haly

If I met milk or pro in real life I'd probably still call them milk/pro.

Or maybe Ellen.

1.09 would be a bit awkward though.

Aselith

what about if you got ganked in jungle? what about if you needed to gank before you got your 6? what about if your ult isn't enough to turn around a lost lane? what about when you fight after you get midas and realise you are weaker than everyone else because you got midas?

If I got ganked in the jungle, I'd put up wards and go for a different build then midas. If I needed to gank before 6 I'd eat a satyr and gank with stun or eat a troll guy and gank with net. That plus aura burn makes me relevant fairly simply.

Good thing about Midas is you're not locked in until you buy the recipe.

And as for being weaker than everyone with just Midas? Nah, burn plus Doom Lvl ? + an aura make you relevant in those early fights anyways.

Haly

And all is right again with pudge:
9547adef.png

What happened here?

patapuf

I've been called by my online name by people who knew me online for years before we met (and voicechat wasn't as common then). It was a bit awkward but it's what they were familiar with.

I don't think it's going to be "normal" since most people introduce themselves with their first name rather than their nickname.

Kard8p3

Prob gonna call bokr and milkman just that when i see them at ti4; i don't even know their real names yo. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Wok

I've been called by my online name by people who knew me online for years before we met (and voicechat wasn't as common then). It was a bit awkward but it's what they were familiar with.

I don't think it's going to be "normal" since most people introduce themselves with their first name rather than their nickname.

It is because patapouf is a funny nickname.

Nirvana

I always make a point of learning people's real names so I'm not calling them 'xxx1337sniperpro360xxx' all the time.

Nirvana

So it seems the biggest thing is just whether your nickname sounds cool when spoken aloud.

I think it depends on how well you know someone and how friendly you are as well. It feels weird to call someone you've played with for 2 years by a gamertag, it's strangely impersonal, I feel. Maybe it's just me though.

Ketch

I think it depends on how well you know someone and how friendly you are as well. It feels weird to call someone you've played with for 2 years by a gamertag, it's strangely impersonal, I feel. Maybe it's just me though.

I think the biggest factor is how stupid your user name is.

I have a friend I play with in game who goes buy "Big$exy", and I never call him by his user name... he's just Sven, or Elder Titan.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
CN DOTO
A name is an identity that you associate with someone to identify them.
If all your interaction is online and you know them as 'x' then you can call them 'x'.

This is what I explained to the hotel receptionist as we had to call late people to the lobby and we didn't know what names they booked under in a group of 10 online people.

I don't care either way for me.

Nirvana

It's something i try too, it's definetly much easier over voicechat than through text.

Yeah I guess I hadn't thought of that distinction, I always talk to friends I play with over voice, but I suppose if you just text chat with people it might be a different scenario.

Then again, not voice chatting with people you've played with for over a year or so is just as weird to me as not knowing their names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom