• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

DanSaxon

Overall for the Gaffer's who went to TI how did you enjoy the whole experience ? A few mates and I are considering going next year and going off this year I think they'll go for Key Arena again.

traveler

Not Wario
Pretty sure the International is going international next year. If people can be believed

That would be hilariously appropriate. I've gotten tickets two times in a row and had to cancel attending at the last second both times. I just got a job in Seattle, so I'll be moving there this year and I was definitely planning on attending next year. I guess it's just not supposed to happen.

Kard8p3

Pretty sure the International is going international next year. If people can be believed

a friend of my was actually talking to one of the people who ring you in at Key Arena, they said valve booked the place for the next 5 years or so.

Ketch

Overall for the Gaffer's who went to TI how did you enjoy the whole experience ? A few mates and I are considering going next year and going off this year I think they'll go for Key Arena again.

Overall, I think it was pretty awesome. Definitely worth the money/time. It's a slight trade off between being able to really focus on the games, and the rest of the experience of being in the crowd and at the venue and hanging out with GAFers/other dota fans.

It's not a thing where it's like you HAVE to go for the optimal experience, I actually think the optimal viewing experience is through the client, but the experience as a whole is one of a kind…. I think everyone who's a fan of the game should go at least once.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looks like ixmike's contract is officially up. He changed his twitter handle and posted "GOODBYE @TeamLiquidPro"

Chris R

a friend of my was actually talking to one of the people who ring you in at Key Arena, they said valve booked the place for the next 5 years or so.
That would be fine with me as Seattle is so close to me, meaning I'd be able to attend them all. But the various reddit musings and taking with some of the big names at TI4 made me think it might be held on the European or Asian continents.

Aselith

I'm new to the game, and I've played ~70 hours or so, I'm about to quit unless I can find a static group to play with, I just can't tolerate pubs anymore. The complete lack of co-ordination and vitriol just ruins the game for me :(

I play late at night, you can play with me but if you do bad (or I do bad and I want to blame you) I'm a real asshole so prepare thyself!

Qvoth

has einbroch said anything about mason's departure? was this planned from the beginning?
i still don't think fear's coming back though

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't really expect the International to leave Seattle. The cost and difficulty of running an event of that magnitude is just so much more insane when you're running it thousands of miles from your home base.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I heard nothing credible about it moving, but a Valve employee was talking to one of the guys who was running the secret shop on how to improve it next year. The gist of it was to turn it into a cafeteria style line where you would go into sub-line for each item you wanted, so people who only wanted 1 or 2 things could get though faster, and they could shift resources based on demand. Also, they don't want to sell lose cards next year since they are a huge pain to ensure they are all there.

sephi22

I'm mixed on it.

This was my first time there and I've wanted to go since last year. I overpaid for the ticket, the flight and the hotel but I realized that it was my fault and it would still be worth it. I'm not sure it was.

My biggest mistake and biggest advice - if you love dota, and if you can afford only one trip to TI, don't go to the secret shop. I spent 10 human hours during the first 3 days of the tournament lined up at the secret shop to buy stuff for friends and family. It felt less like the biggest dota tournament in the world and more like an exotic shopping convention with screens playing Dota 2 on twitch.tv. Again, my fault. It felt like that because I chose it to be that way. Being a 'big' guy, 5 hours of standing in line were bad for my ankles and knees, and I got too tired to meet up the gaffers in their daily meetups.

Regardless of my follies, the whole thing did feel a little soulless compared to last year, mainly due to the number of fans and the thing being in an arena. There wasn't a dedicated player-fan meeting area for non-VIPs, so you had to run around the hallways hoping to run into someone and ask for their autograph or player signature card. Some players came out for so less time that if you weren't at the area during the 10 minutes they came out on the day they came out, you weren't going to meet them anymore.

What little time I did spend sitting in the crowd watching games was magical, especially on Day 1 and Day 3. Day 4 can kiss my ass though. A bad end to the whole tournament. VG vs NB was a bad series IMO, and I had left the hotel late to go watch it. By the time I got there, the series was over in 30 minutes and then I had to go back.

However, if you and your friends can afford a VIP ticket, I would say go for it. No matter how the tournament goes and which team goes through, the VIPs get the best fucking treatment. Unrestricted access to the secret shop, to the players, afterparty, qualifier matches, best seats in the house, separate entrance to the arena, trip to the Valve office. Its a fucking great deal.

I think every Dota fan should go there once before they die if they have the means to do so. My experience wasn't the best, but I don't regret going. I guess I chose the wrong year to go. This was the first year of them going big and trying out the new format. They're going to learn from their mistakes and give a better experience to the attendees next year.

DanSaxon

I'm mixed on it.

This was my first time there and I've wanted to go since last year. I overpaid for the ticket, the flight and the hotel but I realized that it was my fault and it would still be worth it. I'm not sure it was.

My biggest mistake and biggest advice - if you love dota, and if you can afford only one trip to TI, don't go to the secret shop. I spent 10 human hours during the first 3 days of the tournament lined up at the secret shop to buy stuff for friends and family. It felt less like the biggest dota tournament in the world and more like an exotic shopping convention with screens playing Dota 2 on twitch.tv. Again, my fault. It felt like that because I chose it to be that way. Being a 'big' guy, 5 hours of standing in line were bad for my ankles and knees, and I got too tired to meet up the gaffers in their daily meetups.

Regardless of my follies, the whole thing did feel a little soulless compared to last year, mainly due to the number of fans and the thing being in an arena. There wasn't a dedicated player-fan meeting area for non-VIPs, so you had to run around the hallways hoping to run into someone and ask for their autograph or player signature card. Some players came out for so less time that if you weren't at the area during the 10 minutes they came out on the day they came out, you weren't going to meet them anymore.

What little time I did spend sitting in the crowd watching games was magical, especially on Day 1 and Day 3. Day 4 can kiss my ass though. A bad end to the whole tournament. VG vs NB was a bad series IMO, and I had left the hotel late to go watch it. By the time I got there, the series was over in 30 minutes and then I had to go back.

However, if you and your friends can afford a VIP ticket, I would say go for it. No matter how the tournament goes and which team goes through, the VIPs get the best fucking treatment. Unrestricted access to the secret shop, to the players, afterparty, qualifier matches, best seats in the house, separate entrance to the arena, trip to the Valve office. Its a fucking great deal.

I think every Dota fan should go there once before they die if they have the means to do so. My experience wasn't the best, but I don't regret going. I guess I chose the wrong year to go. This was the first year of them going big and trying out the new format. They're going to learn from their mistakes and give a better experience to the attendees next year.

Thanks for the advice I'll definitely look into it.

Chris R

I could easily see not liking the final day if you got there at 8 and grabbed a seat right away.

Lucky for me I didn't show up until 9:45 and after that I spent ~1 hour in the shop line (well really, it was like 10 minutes when the line started to move, before that the store seemed to be closed)

Meaning I wasn't ass in chair during the silly interviews or team recaps. Sure the games were easily the worst of the event, but whatever, days 1-3 provided plenty of great games, and I saw them ALL*

If the event is in Seattle again next year, I'll be there, no doubt. Only thing I'd change about it would be to get here a day earlier and to bring a computer that could play DOTA so I'd not be having the terrible withdrawals I'm facing now :(

Great DOTO, meeting a bunch of Gaffers and other people around town who were into dota, great food, nice weather (even if it was way to fucking hot for me), ect. If it is in Seattle again next year I do hope it syncs up with the Bite festival again, great prices on food and booze (well, great price for buying not from a store) and a nice crowd.

Maybe Valve even syncs things up properly and we get a Sunday Grand Finals. I do hope they look at tweaking the schedule just a little bit though, didn't like having all the upper bracket games on one day.

I missed G1 of IG vs LGD drinking beers in the beer garden with Gaffers and ShackNewsGuy. Look at all the fucks I give

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I enjoyed it a lot. I wish the food wasn't so expensive in the arena, but the floor seats were really nice. The final day sort of sucked, but they just weren't very good games, and there is not much you can do about that.

The shop had pretty long lines, but I think next year they will fix that.

Chris R

I heard nothing credible about it moving, but a Valve employee was talking to one of the guys who was running the secret shop on how to improve it next year. The gist of it was to turn it into a cafeteria style line where you would go into sub-line for each item you wanted, so people who only wanted 1 or 2 things could get though faster, and they could shift resources based on demand. Also, they don't want to sell lose cards next year since they are a huge pain to ensure they are all there.

What's so hard about allowing everyone with a ticket an online order form? You fill that out, pay online and Valve knows exactly when things are out of stock, months/weeks before the event.

You can then pick up your swag at any time from "TI5 Courier Corner" or whatever, simply by flashing a piece of ID along with your ticket badge. Yes there would be a fuckload of bags to go through, but I don't think it would be that big of a deal. Hell, make a special area for those big spenders who dropped more than $1k if you wanted.

Still have the shop, but mostly as a way to go and stock up on the items that you didn't know you wanted until you go to the event and saw everyone trading pins or whatever.

Ketch

Being in the arena for the universe chrono on 3 (including venge) into the zai BLACK HOOOOOOLE! and the crowd goes FUCKING INSANE! USA USA USA

#worth

Aselith

What's so hard about allowing everyone with a ticket an online order form? You fill that out, pay online and Valve knows exactly when things are out of stock, months/weeks before the event.

You can then pick up your swag at any time from "TI5 Courier Corner" or whatever, simply by flashing a piece of ID along with your ticket badge. Yes there would be a fuckload of bags to go through, but I don't think it would be that big of a deal. Hell, make a special area for those big spenders who dropped more than $1k if you wanted.

Still have the shop, but mostly as a way to go and stock up on the items that you didn't know you wanted until you go to the event and saw everyone trading pins or whatever.

Yeah, if you go to the Walmart pharmacy they have all the orders on racks in bags and organized by section. That would by far be the easiest way to do this. You just place your order and go pick it up all neat and organized.

Sometimes I think about attending the International in person.

Then I remember I don't actually like crowds and if I did go I'd just be annoyed by all the yelling and chanting.

shira

hffRerO.jpg

Next time baby

Are you talking about Arsenio? Because he literally runs the Secret Shop.
BJvIeHa.jpg

Valve employees work the Secret Shop. Everyone there is a Valve engineer or Valve artist or something. They volunteer to work there at their normal salary rate and it is an opportunity to interact with their customer base on a personal level.

IGN said:
Confirming obvious suspicions, Valve’s Erik Johnson told IGN that, yes, Valve plans to create new Heroes for Dota 2. When asked about adding new Valve-created characters once Dota 2 catches up to the original DotA's huge character roster, Valve’s Erik Johnson said, “Yes. We just keep going. Dota never stops."
nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

Roshan fucking Christ

Sometimes I think about attending the International in person.

Then I remember I don't actually like crowds and if I did go I'd just be annoyed by all the yelling and chanting.
You don't want to experience twitch chat IRL?

hffRerO.jpg

Next time baby

BJvIeHa.jpg

Valve employees work the Secret Shop. Everyone there is a Valve engineer or Valve artist or something. They volunteer to work there at their normal salary rate and it is an opportunity to interact with their customer base on a personal level.

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

Roshan fucking Christ

You don't want to experience twitch chat IRL?

Erik Johnson said on the interview with Hot Bid that Key Arena is big as TI will get (if it stays in Seattle) due to the football stadium being outdoors and the baseball season going on during the time The International usually takes place. No other hint on future plans though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nah, he wasn't the one in the conversation with the Valve Employee I talked to, It was some other guy. I know the person I talked to wasn't directly on the Dota team, though he seemed to be fairly in the loop and brought up a few things they were working on like a overhauled autograph system that was basically done but wasn't deployed this year. It sounded like you would actually get a copy of an item the players played a game with that had the autograph in it.

arab

steve, mss, me, and chizzanger

we were at a bar when stevewinwood noticed the people sitting behind us and bet that they played dota. so he asked them and they responded that one of them played in TI4. this picture was taken right after we gave him a fireball shot

Quesa

we were at a bar when stevewinwood noticed the people sitting behind us and bet that they played dota. so he asked them and they responded that one of them played in TI4. this picture was taken right after we gave him a fireball shot

oh fuck

Please tell me someone else is watching PPD's stream? He just unfollowed Sneyking on twitter and unfriended him on steam after Sneyking beat him with Naga.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
20 minutes in I thought this was lost. Zero coordination. So much feeding to early game bullies (Axe Gondar and Dirge) then all the sudden out of nowhere we found our coordination. PotM ulti, dream coil initiations with Lich ultimate = rape every time.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/794016307

I'm still kinda shitty with Puck but boy oh boy is that hero too much fun in 5v5 fights.

shira

Nah, he wasn't the one in the conversation with the Valve Employee I talked to, It was some other guy. I know the person I talked to wasn't directly on the Dota team, though he seemed to be fairly in the loop and brought up a few things they were working on like a overhauled autograph system that was basically done but wasn't deployed this year. It sounded like you would actually get a copy of an item the players played a game with that had the autograph in it.

As long as I get my whirling dildo of many rape

Valve bring The International to Singapore.
bbe6978b308f126506524be0d59335c8a8cbe634_full.jpg

GG

RTB withdrew $22,000 US cash from Seattle banks the night before the VIP Secret Shop access and spent it all - not $13,000. This combined with an extremely high credit limit meant he was able to corner the market on specific items. There were reports that he wanted to hire 30-40 people to make his orders and help him carry all the items. In the end Valve employees removed the purchase limits for him and allowed him to buy as many demiheroes as he wanted.

In 48 hours he shipped and resold more than $50,000 worth of items back to Singapore and China

Vamlock

Oh, I was right in front of you in line for the Secret Shop on Day 3.

Top Bottom