• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Quesa

I mean I know where you're coming from steve but

a) This is not the right topic for this
b) Zionist history and the holocaust are poor excuses for what Israel's doing to Palestine right now

Hylian7

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/5/50/Wraith_ability_incarn1_07.mp3

So that was a long two weeks, time for my two cents on some topics I really wanted to chime in on.

The International

Great event, shitty final match. You just don't gg out before you lose rax in a match for FIVE MILLION DOLLARS. I don't care how far behind you are, even if it's 50k down and the other team is all 6-slotted and you are still walking around with gg branches. You don't gg out before you lose a rax in a final like that. Newbee did deserve the win though, and congrats to them.

Earth Spirit

He's OP right now. I had two recent games as him that I did well in both of them. One we lost and the other we won. Even in the one we lost, the other team complimented me and said they were actually legitimately scared of me. I ain't no pro, but in the hands of a pro Earth Spirit will be absolutely ridiculous, especially with pro-level team coordination. As to how to nerf him, I have no idea. They really gotta be careful with him as he can easily be overnerfed. I still really love the idea of the hero though, and hope to see him in competitive one day soon. For those saying he's not OP and citing his winrate, remember his winrate in his extremely OP days was not far above what it is now.

MMR, definition of the "trench" and things of that nature

As often as I get frustrated with my teammates, I sometimes have to take a step back and realize what Dota 1 is like as far as teammates go. Asking around with the people that played in it's heyday, and playing it myself somewhat recently, Dota 1 pubs are generally what we would consider 1k-2k MMR by Dota 2 standards. No courier, 3-4 couriers (nobody shared so everyone just got their own), dual core lanes, no stun teams, no wards, ignoring runes, ignoring Rosh unless it's an absolute stomp, Vanguard on so many heroes that have no business buying it, and much much more. All these things were things I saw when I played some Dota 1 pubs. You really have no idea how good we have it here in the decent MMRs in Dota 2.

Something I do grow tired of is that there seems to be just a "good" and "bad" players, no in between. The 5k-6ks are "good", everything below that is bad. Not true at all. I'd say there's a steady trend in the MMR, however there are times when it is quite wonky. I think it still has some issues to be sorted out (for instance you always lose or gain around 25 points per game, why is that, and what does it accomplish other than being a glorified win/loss ratio?). I would be lying if I said there were never times when I was just stuck on absolute shit teams with no way to pull the game out of the gutter by myself. That sucks and sadly there's nothing you can really do about it. This, I feel, is another issue of MMR. But honestly I'm not sure what would be a good skill metric in this type of team-based game anyway.

Demiheroes

Bounchfx is awesome for hooking me to with a Tiny and Slark. I tried to order the others, and tried all day yesterday and the order never went through. I gave up and went to bed last night, and tried it first thing this morning and they are sold out! What the fuck?! Seriously Valve? Did it really only work for 5 minutes at some ungodly hour? Christ.

And finally, a slightly off topic note

Does anyone here enjoy Arma games? Something I've really wanted to do is get an actual Arma GAF community going. We sort of have a DayZ community, but that isn't actual Arma. I would love to have a group that could maybe come up with a playlist of missions to do, either cooperative or adverserial, and have a play session every Saturday or something. There's a crapload of user made missions out there for Arma 2 and 3 that would be fun, even with as little as 5 people. I would like to make an |OT| for this and am working on one, and though I would ask around in here about it.

Earth Spirit

He's OP right now. I had two recent games as him that I did well in both of them. One we lost and the other we won. Even in the one we lost, the other team complimented me and said they were actually legitimately scared of me. I ain't no pro, but in the hands of a pro Earth Spirit will be absolutely ridiculous, especially with pro-level team coordination. As to how to nerf him, I have no idea. They really gotta be careful with him as he can easily be overnerfed. I still really love the idea of the hero though, and hope to see him in competitive one day soon. For those saying he's not OP and citing his winrate, remember his winrate in his extremely OP days was not far above what it is now.

He's going to be one of the most difficult heroes to nerf. I'm a pretty decent ES and there are a couple of things that are broken with him as of right now. Rolling boulder goes through BKB and you can do a long distance rolling boulder and use boulder smash and get the stun off using just one remnant (i never use the bug though). His ult CD is super low as well.

eznark

Banned

As often as I get frustrated with my teammates, I sometimes have to take a step back and realize what Dota 1 is like as far as teammates go. Asking around with the people that played in it's heyday, and playing it myself somewhat recently, Dota 1 pubs are generally what we would consider 1k-2k MMR by Dota 2 standards. No courier, 3-4 couriers (nobody shared so everyone just got their own), dual core lanes, no stun teams, no wards, ignoring runes, ignoring Rosh unless it's an absolute stomp, Vanguard on so many heroes that have no business buying it, and much much more. All these things were things I saw when I played some Dota 1 pubs. You really have no idea how good we have it here in the decent MMRs in Dota 2.

All of those things were happening in dota 2 alpha and beta as well. I think the proliferation of streaming and esports has just raised the awareness and lifted the floor a bit higher. The community has just gotten slightly better/smarter as a whole.

I think that's kind of the unmentioned huge bonus to things like TI. It genuinely makes the experience of playing the game better because many more people know the basics from watching the game being played.

Randdalf

Something I do grow tired of is that there seems to be just a "good" and "bad" players, no in between. The 5k-6ks are "good", everything below that is bad. Not true at all. I'd say there's a steady trend in the MMR, however there are times when it is quite wonky. I think it still has some issues to be sorted out (for instance you always lose or gain around 25 points per game, why is that, and what does it accomplish other than being a glorified win/loss ratio?). I would be lying if I said there were never times when I was just stuck on absolute shit teams with no way to pull the game out of the gutter by myself. That sucks and sadly there's nothing you can really do about it. This, I feel, is another issue of MMR. But honestly I'm not sure what would be a good skill metric in this type of team-based game anyway.

When both teams are equally balanced in terms of average MMR, the system will award each team 25 points. The further the distance between the averages, the more the point discrepancy. Hence why SingSing's stacks usually only gain like +5 mmr per game, because they have a very high average MMR. I believe you get more points for beating a team with a higher average MMR than you do for losing to that same team - which is where it diverges from being a win-loss ratio.

Hylian7

Nay, the unpredictable crapshoot... lies within.
Sometimes, sure, but I think it's ignorant to ignore the major factor of your team's skill.

Take this game for example:

http://dotabuff.com/matches/817325662

This game, I tried my best, but pretty much knew about 5 minutes in I was going to lose 25 solo MMR and there was nothing to be done about it, for a number of reasons.

1. I was the only English speaker on my team. The language barrier was already against us.
2. Our picks were horrible, The last pick was Invoker, who, for some reason wanted to lane with Slark top sending Axe and I not.
3. Slark calls gg immediately because "they have Tinker, we lose"
4. Storm goes the scrub build: Arcanes > Bloodstone, proceeds to be useless.
5. Axe keeps diving to T2 5 minutes in. I try to tell him to back as they had a Pudge and NP but he doesn't listen. He just says Spanish stuff that I can barely hear or understand in his mic, which sounds like he is in an air tunnel.
6. My other four teammates are calling to report each other.
7. We win a team fight and then Invoker instantly abandons.

At that point I tried until one more death and just left after that, as we had no hope of winning. Did I make a few mistakes? Sure. But I know I played damn well that game, and I don't think there was any feasible way I could have saved it.

Speaking of raising awareness, I would like it if there was some better way of educating my fellow trash tier players how to use smoke. I've played in so many games recently where I felt like my team needed to make a play to get some momentum, but all anyone did is dicked around in the woods or casually push back a lane. In a pro game, with a somewhat similar situation the team would probably smoke up and either go for Rosh or go for a pick off.

I realize this is one of those hard to quantify sort of situations, but I feel like smoking and getting pick offs is an important part of the mid game that most people I play with don't understand.

Ketch

Speaking of raising awareness, I would like it if there was some better way of educating my fellow trash tier players how to use smoke. I've played in so many games recently where I felt like my team needed to make a play to get some momentum, but all anyone did is dicked around in the woods or casually push back a lane. In a pro game, with a somewhat similar situation the team would probably smoke up and either go for Rosh or go for a pick off.

I realize this is one of those hard to quantify sort of situations, but I feel like smoking and getting pick offs is an important part of the mid game that most people I play with don't understand.

This kind of thing happens to me all the time! We will a team fight hard, like 5 man wipe them. and I'll say "Lets push mid! go go go" and then 3 people go mid and one person goes to jungle and one person decides to push bottom and then we don't get the tower and it's a huge waste of time.

It's so frustrating, especially so when it's people you play with all the time! It's like OKAY NOW PUSH! and then our carries like "I'm just gonna finish bkb real fast and then I'll come"... NO MOTHERFUCKER PUSH NOW BKB LATER! GARAHHAHA
rage.gif

maybe i've had too much coffee this morning.

collige

Banned

I've found that smoking is most effective in the early game for supports to help lanes win and the late game. It's much more important when you're behind or at a stalemate though. If you're having trouble getting people to use it in solo games, what I would do is just buy it myself, use the "alert allies" button, then draw your gank path on the minimap.

Sibylus

Banned
Sometimes, sure, but I think it's ignorant to ignore the major factor of your team's skill.
I didn't, crapshoot within them too, but the only thing you can reliably improve (in matchmaking, at any rate) is your own play. Blaming your teammates for your not reaching 4k isn't going to get you there. It isn't an xp bar you can just fill up without elevating your own play.

Pratfall

smoke to me is a little like trilanes at 3K MMR. without some idea of when and how it is used (neither of which exist at 3K), you are almost better off just focusing on fundamentals and efficient farming. They always seem to win me more games than any advanced tactics. This is probably why I will be at my MMR forever but I am winning more games than I am losing.

Hylian7

I think this is one of the cases where SirActionSlacks was right. Smoke near teammates and it just makes them go with you.

I've found that smoking is most effective in the early game for supports to help lanes win and the late game. It's much more important when you're behind or at a stalemate though. If you're having trouble getting people to use it in solo games, what I would do is just buy it myself, use the "alert allies" button, then draw your gank path on the minimap.

Right, its those stale mate situations that I feel like it would work best. I have tried buying it and alerting allies, but that doesn't work as much as I would like. I guess if it works even once then I should accept it as a victory.

Its weird, I find in DotA2 there's a lot more indecisiveness and situational confusion than there is when I play LoL. I mean, people in LoL still have the same mid game stagnation issues, but it seems to be easier to push people to go for Dragon than it is to get people to group up and go for a smoke gank. Both things solve the same issue from a design perspective, but I think one might be a little easier to grasp.

Sorry, I dwell on these weird issues of game design sometimes and then I ramble mentally.

smoke to me is a little like trilanes at 3K MMR. without some idea of when and how it is used (neither of which exist at 3K), you are almost better off just focusing on fundamentals and efficient farming. They always seem to win me more games than any advanced tactics. This is probably why I will be at my MMR forever but I am winning more games than I am losing.

Well right, I think that being better at the fundamentals is the first step to moving up. But I still think as a pub game DotA2 suffers from the issue of mid game stagnation. One of the reason low tier games drag on is because games stale mate and no one knows what to do. The other is the situation Ketch described where you actually do win an engagement but then no one knows what objective to secure.

I dunno, to me these are interesting global problems.

G.ZZZ

My team throwers especial legao meravigliao pelao.

2-0-4 mid in 10 mins + i get tower, our trilane feed against clock, tide go 0-6 against their trilane, we manage to almost win the game miracously then we decide to take worst fights ever uphill like my team never played this game before and we get wiped 3 times in a row
crazy.gif

Hylian7

Ehhh, I am in upper 3k/4k Party and trilanes and smoke generally work pretty well.

Pratfall

Well right, I think that being better at the fundamentals is the first step to moving up. But I still think as a pub game DotA2 suffers from the issue of mid game stagnation. One of the reason low tier games drag on is because games stale mate and no one knows what to do. The other is the situation Ketch described where you actually do win an engagement but then no one knows what objective to secure.

I dunno, to me these are interesting global problems.

Totally, I 100 percent agree with you, I think smoke would be a great solution to those 5 man mid standoffs where no one knows what to do except clear the creep waves and stare at one another. Drop back, smoke, and wrap around.

Ehhh, I am in upper 3k/4k Party and trilanes and smoke generally work pretty well.

Can't count the games where a trilane goes 10 minutes without a kill, limited pulling and terrible lane control by the carry. The supports are basically food at that point.

I'm in 2.3k, so I'm probably expecting too much. It is just frustrating when you spend 10-20 minutes with nothing being accomplished. No cores being farmed, no objectives being taken, no Roshan's being claimed etc etc. I think this mid game dullness is one of the things that turns a lot of lower tier players off the game and its one of the reasons why pub DotA matches stretch on too long.

Hylian7

I don´t know, i rarely have to type anything at all in my games.
The chat wheel and pings get everything done for me. Sometimes a b or go but that is understandable for everyone.
I don't think so. I usually need to suggest a strategy, item, or priority and that stuff doesn't really do that.

For instance, suggesting, then justifying that your carry buy Diffusal against Warlock or Omniknight.

Can't count the games where a trilane goes 10 minutes without a kill, limited pulling and terrible lane control by the carry. The supports are basically food at that point.

I've kind of gravitated to sniping captain when I play CD with my regular three stack and I need to stop drafting trilanes for this reason. People just seem to not get how they work. Like if I go to stack that doesn't mean the other support shouldn't come into the woods to stack another camp. Or at the very least harass. And if I buy courier and wards the other support will think that means its a great time to rush boots instead of grabbing sentries or smoke. So I end up dicking around in forest, while there is no harass from the other support that soaks up XP and 3 heroes end up behind.

So any good tips on executing trilanes, or explaining their purpose to laning partners?

Top Bottom