• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Let's not take anything away from iG--they played incredible.

As for EG having to do all their games today, let's not forget that Na'Vi had to play just as many (8) at the TI3 finals.

Long hours of Dota is part of the job playing professionally. I think all teams have had to weather endurance runs.

Finals aren´t even BO5. ESL isn´t even a big tournament. C´mon the Summit was harder for EG and they won that. People are getting to much emo, where there is none to be found.

Cassius

I feel like they should have rotated Sand King out with Tiny for safe lane.

RTZ had to go jungle because he was so vulnerable in mid. SK would have a chance with burrow strike to evade some of the damage coming out from the Disruption/Torrent combo.

KingKong

What really suprised me was how much better Fnatic looked against EG than NaVi.

It would be hard to believe but there are so many good teams right now, NaVi could drop out at the group stages at TI4

Finals aren´t even BO5. ESL isn´t even a big tournament. C´mon the Summit was harder for EG and they won that. People are getting to much emo, where there is none to be found.

The summit had a fourth of the prize pool and about 1/100000th of the crowd.

ESL is bigger than the summit if not solely for the reason that it's closer to TI.

shira

They ran too late.
200k prize pool
10k fans

That's as big as it gets.

The summit had a fourth of the prize pool and about 1/100000th of the crowd.

ESL is bigger than the summit if not solely for the reason that it's closer to TI.

I obviously meant the amount of games played (ESL is a small tournament) since we were talking about endurance and schedules.

Welp, now that ESL is over i must admit that against my doubts it turned out amazing. Tbh i was mostly worried about them filling the stadium.
My only hope is that redeye spends the next year playing dota and working with other established dota personalities so that perhaps he'll stop calling Maelk Malcolm. Considering how relatively little preparation he had, im not going to bash him, but im still thinking how much better it would have been if we had someone like James or someone else with equally long involvement with dota 2 hosting the panel.

Shengar

I'm glad TI4 will be held during my semester break. Gotta watch'em all!
void better not win the model rework, he's one of the best designed heroes in the game

Need some rework on the detail, but the core design shouldn't be touched at all. Many heroes need the rework more than him.

Ketch

China is still looking really scary. I was thinking today, that with the new format, and just how unpredictable the winners have been…. there's a real chance I won't get to see my favorite teams play in person. Which is kind of scary. If EG, Na'vi, and Alliance all get eliminated before the stadium event I'm gonna be bummed.

No belly at TI4 please.

You picked the wrong person to split a room with.

manfestival

I recently interviewed DrKirby. I asked him, "Why do you keep raising your dongers?" To which he replied - "If you want something you never had, you must do something you've never done"

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder how much of an effect eg having to play all day had. Oh well, 2nd is still great, but its going to be hard to live down a 0-22 score.

Also I have given no interviews manfestival is a dirty liar.

ksan

I wonder how much of an effect eg having to play all day had. Oh well, 2nd is still great, but its going to be hard to live down a 0-22 score.

Also I have given no interviews manfestival is a dirty liar.

Proof please! Do you have an alibi?

Zeth

On the bright side for EG: If "0 - 22" is the lasting impression on the minds of the competition going into TI, they might be a kind of dark horse regarding preparation/research/analysis.

they won't get off that easy

Manus

I still hate the whole Wisp Tiny combo just because how risky it can be. If the plan doesn't work the game is pretty much over.

Pratfall

Phoenix is still so insanely strong. Once you have Mek and Shivas you just become a team fight nightmare for the other team. Also love when people try to solo kill you and you just spirits them and ult in their face. They just run back and forth and then die.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
So who do you guys think are underrated teams going into TI4? I kinda feel like LGD and VG are being slept on. Looking at the Dota2Lounge bets, VG is at 35.13, compare that to Na'Vi at 2.97 and Cloud9 at 16.47. I would put VG ahead of Cloud9 for sure, and possibly Na'Vi (but Na'Vi's odds are skewed by the popularity factor). LGD is at freaking 69.7, second to Na'Vi.US for worst odds, yet they have a really strong team, in theory. It wasn't even that long ago that they came in second in a tournament with all of the top Chinese teams, beating all but Newbee (mostly in BO1s).

xanavi

And I said GOTDAYUM!

xDRCdft.jpg

Broke my 900 GPM cherry.

Acinixys

Thought on ARDM?

I think it comes down to who gets the heros they know how to use.

Naga was KotL for the first 20 mins or so. Died. Started ratting like a bastard, got 6 slotted, carried us hard. We had 2 kills left and they had 6

dmshaposv

void better not win the model rework, he's one of the best designed heroes in the game

My favourite hero design when dota 2 was unveiled. The guillermo del toro esque design is one of chief reasons i'm drawn to valve's art direction.

If the chinese want squid thing void, we have that set for that. Please keep my void without a face. K thx.

jokkir

Started playing as Death Prophet again and started winning most of my games. I guess it helps I played as her for 200/1000 games played

Razzer

Btw, here is an example of what I mentioned earlier.

Team: Alliance
Players: Loda, S4, AdmiralBulldog, EGM, Akke.
Recent results: Winners of Dreamleague, semi final of ESL One.
Signature heroes:
Loda: Lifestealer, Riki, Sven, Phantom Lancer. (He plays everything really)
S4: Magnus, Puck, Storm Spirit.
AdmiralBulldog: Lone Druid, Nature's Prophet, Clockwerk.
EGM: Rubick, Shadow Demon, Windranger, Io.
Akke: Chen, Enchantress, Keeper Of The Light.
What to say when they are winning: Based [A]lliance!, ENTER GOD MODE!, Akke is so good, Holy shit Bulldog! Fuck rat Dota, get r[A]tted, I really wish this style of Dota would go away.
What to say when they are losing: Lol Loda, r[A]ts exterminated, Bulldog only plays two heroes they should kick him.
General description: Alliance return to The International as defending champions, and one of the lesser favorites. After a large slump post TI3, in which they were seemingly lost, with no clear purpose to their draft, they spent a large time bootcamping, even declining tournament invitations to practice. This appears to have worked, as they have looked impressive since returning, winning Dreamleague and performing well at ESL One. That said, they were dismissed by the spectacular IG easily, and will need to think hard to come up with a way to beat EG and the big Chinese teams.

At TI3, Alliance dominated through a complete understanding of the patch at the time, being incredibly efficient on the map, and getting away with a lot of greedy lineups by drawing games out with splitpush and clear, coordinated movement across the map in the mid game. This strategy became less viable in the following patches, and suddenly Alliance looked weak. They experimented a lot, but never met any real success. However, it seems as though they have decided to not change their playstyle any longer, but reinvent their old, comfortable style for this new meta. When watching their games, look out for S4, Akke and EGM, as they will be the playmakers and space creators, allowing Loda and AdmiralBulldog to farm. The fact that the offlane takes the 2 role and the mid takes the 3 role is highly unusual, but for Alliance, it works.

This is only a quick draft ofc, and I suck at formatting so somebody else would probably be able to make it look nicer, but you get the idea. Whilst typing this up I also realized it might be a good idea to put a quick explanation of some basic Dota concepts for newcomers, like the 1-5 system and what 'ganking' and 'splitpushing' mean etc.

Wasn't that long ago that Luo was getting a lot of flack for his performances as carry (I think around SL9?). Seems as though IG have progressed well since then.

Top Bottom