• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Zeth

The loading screen tool tip about the "hard lane" is wrong or I'm misunderstanding the wording.
"The Hard Lane is the shortest lane on your team's side of the river"

The hard lane is longest - which is why it's dangerous - you're closer to the enemy tower. Am I crazy?

Anilusion

The loading screen tool tip about the "hard lane" is wrong or I'm misunderstanding the wording.

The hard lane is longest - which is why it's dangerous - you're closer to the enemy tower. Am I crazy?

The t1 tower is closer to your base, so the lane is shorter.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

This always fucks with me as well. If you look at the actual map one lane is very clearly short and very clearly long based on how the team coloring is laid out, but the one that looks short is the "long lane"

Hard lane is the shortest. The river curves. Only look at the radiant or dire sides. The reason why it's dangerous, as you said, is you're in enemy territory.

B374BF259E31BB824406A993674FC6B971FEB04F

So at this point, do you just quit if you're the Invoker?

edit:

Black in top form. That was 25 minutes.

had an enemy invoker complain about my teams' picks once he started losing. yeah, cause your tidehunter, qw invoker, void, jakiro team was totally playing for funsies. my bad we didn't do a triple carry trilane

That's what I though, but what technomancer says suggests the opposite.
then pay him no attention. The long lane is the safe lane. The short lane is unsafe because the creep wave tends to be closer to the enemy tower, opening up multiple avenues for ganks to come up behind you. Hence the "suicide" lane. It's very easy to die mutliple times there. Especially if you don't have a built-in escape.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The terms long lane and short lane historically represented the distance between the tier 1 tower and the ancient (where safe lane would be long lane), however many people (e.g. TobiWanKenobi[2] and Purge[3]) use opposite definitions of these terms, referring to the distance between the natural creep equilibrium (where the creeps initially meet up, assuming no blocks) and the tier 1 tower (where safe lane would be short lane).

Fuck everything

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just call it off and safe, long and short are terrible terms.

Nailed it. Haven't used the terms long/short ever in my time playing Dota.

Love when I run into the obvious League kiddies that don't even know safe/off tho and only refer to them as top and bot, like they're symmetrical or some shit.

Zeth

I see it now. The tool tip "length" is the distance from base to T1 and not the distance to the creep wave. I'm not surprised this causes some confusion.

I call it off and safe, the wording of the loading tip just threw me off.

boosh5

Banned
Love when I run into the obvious League kiddies that don't even know safe/off tho and only refer to them as top and bot, like they're symmetrical or some shit.

I've never played League and I call them top and bottom. How many posts did it take to describe what safe/suicide/off-lane/hard meant? Saying top or bottom requires much less explanation for people to grasp and doesn't vary based on the team you are currently playing as.

Demoli

C9 will be nowhere close the top 6, neither will Na'vi.

IG/DK/Newbee are the top dogs followed by EG/Empire/Alliance. Titan might pull some upsets and so can Fnatic.

Razzer

After DK/NB/EG/IG/[A] I think it's up in the air personally. Empire, C9, Vici, Fnatic, Navi would be my group to take the last 3 of the top 8 from, though I don't know how good Titan have been. Then an underdog could scrape through as well, Liquid, Narvi, LGD etc.

SamVimes

We basically don't know anything about how fnatic will perform, most likely they will play terribly though i hope they prove me wrong.

Ketch

doom is my go to for easy wins as well but I feel like instant picking him is almost a loss considering most people wait till the last second to do picks.

Well that doesn't matter right? Cus doom literally counters everybody.

After DK/NB/EG/IG/[A] I think it's up in the air personally. Empire, C9, Vici, Fnatic, Navi would be my group to take the last 3 of the top 8 from, though I don't know how good Titan have been. Then an underdog could scrape through as well, Liquid, Narvi, LGD etc.

When was the last we've seen empire play. They were rediculiusly strong in Dreamleague right?

kvk1

I've had this theory of a core-mid Lina making a comeback for TI. I remember watching a Dendi stream a few months ago saying he thought it was very powerful early-mid game, but that Puppey didn't agree.

The thing is, I can't find that stream anywhere, and I'm starting to think I might be dreaming it up.

Anyone else have any predictions of new and "unorthodox" lineups we might see?

Ties

Banned
Personally I hope QOP makes a comeback, she was the first hero I really got into so it'd be nice to see her getting picked again.

I hope we see some venomancer so I can learn how to make smart use of veno wards. I feel like I would enjoy venomancer if I got decent with him, but currently he feels like an inferior jakiro.

Acinixys

Roaming gyros and slardars is what I want to see
wink.gif

I really do hope we see Slardar picked up more.

Hero is so beastly between levels 6 and 11 with a Blink. He doesnt even need to build any damage because his Ult and Bash do so much damage already. He can just tank up with Heart and AC and dominate the midgame. Easily my favourite solo pub stomp hero

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I hope we see some venomancer so I can learn how to make smart use of veno wards. I feel like I would enjoy venomancer if I got decent with him, but currently he feels like an inferior jakiro.
Just watch some 6.78 6.79 games. Venomancer or Visage every single game.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Kinda surprised Visage fell off so hard. Familiars have a bunch of utility uses you don't really see replaced by other supports.

Wok

Getting first blood with Treant Protector is so easy: buy boots first, level up seeds, and play with a hero with a stun. You get the first blood at the first encounter of the opposite team in the lane.

As for TI4, I remember reading on Reddit that some people were expecting Ogre Magi mid as a secret strategy.

i max q with veno, get at least 1 point in w. in lane, if you can't kill, it's better to get 1 level in w so you can harass. level 1 gale does no damage now, so it's really bad. you need at least 2 levels in it unless the other hero on the lane can do all the damage, like a gyro with level 1 q

if getting levels fast/stomping, i'll max q and w, then max wards. i only take levels in ult after i have enough items. it's pointless to get levels in the ult if you don't have enough stats/mana regen. you're just gonna use it and die or run out of mana and have to go base. if my team is not doing so well, i skip w after 1-2 levels too. you're not gonna get many right clicks in after the laning phase is over if you aren't stomping

i usually buy wand treads drum aquila (if no one else buys it/basilius). pipe if the enemy team has enough magical damage, otherwise necrobook. euls is good too. atos is good if you maxed w and you can right click someone down after gale. i only buy aghs as a 4+ item

Top Bottom