• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

7BBcpEO.png

Okay, I have literally paid to win. Thanks to Reddit for tempting me: the market price for 2400 points is just 20% more expensive than the store price for 1000 points, and 40% less expensive than the store price for 2400 points.

vRLyHzQ.png

utz5afB.png

Acinixys

WW is very fun

Laning phase is pathetic but one you get some levels shes a killer

Her heal and her split shot are amazing

Wok

WW is very fun

Laning phase is pathetic but one you get some levels shes a killer

Her heal and her split shot are amazing

I made a team implore us to finish fast after they lost all the teamfights against WW. The team had an Axe and a Troll Warlord. This is how good WW is.

Internets

So what is the phoenix build?
I went mid and got a bottle-> tranqs ->mek (and hated it because of how much mana it uses) -> shvia
Do I go blink after? pipe? aghs? or should I have gotten quick euls?

I'm no expert on Phoenix, but iceiceice seems to be a big fan of Urn on Phoenix. Afterwards he gets either Mek or Midas, depending on the situation. Mek for early team fights, or if no early fights then Midas for fast levels, since Phoenix benefits a lot from levels. After that, it's more situational, scythe of vyse, or euls to deal with silence, or shivas for armor, etc. Of course this is offlane Phoenix rather than mid.

shira

So Valve just lowered the price of the points, gave Arcana owners more points, and let people get more points from recycling.

money paid before lower price $0

money paid after lower price $0

uTjb62A.jpg

Get that weak stuff outta here

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i really enjoy phoenix but i think she's quite a skill dependent hero so i'm not v good at her

but then she has easily the most awesome looking ult in the game, so, i will never stop picking her

Hero discussion (or is that frowned upon since everyone here is a 5k mmr pro :p )

Axe is popular now, but he's always been my favorite hero (because he can lane well and be a bully, and there's always a spot for him in the jungle otherwise).

For people who are still learning him my hard learned advice: (share yours if you play him a lot)
Starting items:
for lane: tons of regen and a stout shield and a ring of protection (and a stick obviously) , the only way to beat axe in lane is to make him run out of regen,unless you have a trilane with heroes that can just outright kill him.
If you take 8 tangos and a salve you're going to be creepskipping and dominating lane to your hearts content.
If you let yourself be scared of bullied behind your creepwave then you're either in a lane you shouldn't be in or playing axe wrong. Axe only works in lane if they fear you. The best form of damage mitigation is people running away from you, they can't right click you while running from the blender.

For the jungle : stout + ring of protection, axe has terrible base armor you need the ring even if you don't want tranquils imo else you just get owned by creeps (same goes for doom)
Killing single camps sucks, you have to stack or you'll be farming slowly and wasting tons of regen.
Grab the 2-4-6 min runes while you're in the jungle so they don't get used against you or your safelane.
captain obvious: blink first item after (brown or other) boots, you can't snowball without it. Maybe some rare exceptions where you have your team able to set up for you so you can just waddle in to call.
Every time an axe builds a blademail first a kitten dies.
If there the enemies have a lane that is likely to dive towers then spend the 100g on a tp instead of rushing blink, easy kills. If your teammates get dived and you don't have a tp you failed at jungle axe.
Imo don't leave jungle till you have blink unless it's for a 100percent sure kill or to save your carry, delaying your blink with a failed gank is probably going to ruin your impact on the game.

But the main advice that pub axes don't do:
Stop playing as initiator in teamfights once you hit mid-late game (unless you can get a 5 man call and your team is in range to do something with it, or you have some wombo combo to drop on top of the call)
Your team is never going to be in position to do their stuff in those 3 seconds when you blink in and your spins become pretty worthless once they have some armor items and hp.
You will just feed those snowballed levels and gold away and you will start losing the game (e.g the axe falls off thing people always used to say about the hero).
Level 11-16 is where your chop becomes good and if you initiate you are almost never going to be alive to use it, your killing power drops off a cliff, you are only good at executing low hp enemies , chasing and the short call CC after the 20 min mark.

What I build after blink + boots + vanguard or blademail (depending on if they are physical or magic dmg dealers, blademail works poorly with call but it's great vs support nukers)
I really like pipe or mek as it works well with the counter initiate role and makes you more useful in a team that has trouble taking towers.
AC if noone else is building one, shivas if you are rich (that's what you are in lategame, aurabot)
If your team is doing bad and you didn't snowball then in a pinch basi + mek + vlads can provide tons of armor aura to your team vs carries like troll, void or pa.
Bkb is amazing if they have annoying lockdown or just lategame in general. Heart seems pretty useless to me it does nothing for your team. Any utility item to counter an enemy hero is better.

Sceptre is something I don't really build anymore since the chop cooldown reset was made baseline (maybe it's good I don't know) Maybe if I'm snowballing hard and none of the above items are needed on the team.
It's best to be the one to buy gem/sentries in midgame if they're needed so your support has a chance to turn into a core.

captain obvious 2 , the duh-a-ning: don't rely on call+spin+chop to kill sblade/invis heroes,carry dust you cheapskate.

Even manta works if they have silences preventing you from chopping (illusions spin for full damage, the stats(mana) of manta are useful, I always build one against silencer, clinkz or skywrath), it's fun to use the illusions for farming/pushing/teamfighting/tower push creepskipping too.

TLDR: axe's role changes over the course of a match, from initiator/core to support and counter initiate. An axe who doesn't adapt to the midgame becomes a huge liability and a throwing machine.
Also stop hogging the jungle once you have your blink, let the carry or supports have it.

Against axe: some armor on supports makes his spins crap, any kind of silence counters his chops which makes him go from scary monster to weak kitten in mid-late game. If you can time mek when he is about to chop then you just destroyed the rest of his current teamfight.
If he snowballed early and is still initiating in midgame then you should focus his killstreak rubberband patch loot pinata ass down every time. You just need to realise he is no longer half as scary as he was 10 minutes ago and start punishing him. Killing him puts a dead stop to his item progression and levels too. , and then he really does fall off hard.

Tieske

Neo Member
Lotsa pro games with phoenix lately involves a midas which make sense, hero is really item independant but needs those levels

atos is also pretty good sometimes

BraXzy

Hmm.. I bought a 2400 points pack last night on my phone and then never ended up opening dota to accept them. I just booted it up and saw three in my inventory which is weird. I also just noticed the price for the various points are different now.. It was £4.99 last night and it's now £3.19 so am I getting back paid or something?

Manus

But the main advice that pub axes don't do:
Stop playing as initiator in teamfights once you hit mid-late game (unless you can get a 5 man call and your team is in range to do something with it, or you have some wombo combo to drop on top of the call)
Your team is never going to be in position to do their stuff in those 3 seconds when you blink in and your spins become pretty worthless once they have some armor items and hp.
You will just feed those snowballed levels and gold away and you will start losing the game (e.g the axe falls off thing people always used to say about the hero).
Level 11-16 is where your chop becomes good and if you initiate you are almost never going to be alive to use it..

I don't find this true at all. He's one of the best initiators in the game. And if you played Axe correctly in the early game and snowballed he's unstoppable when initiating late game.

Acinixys

Hmm.. I bought a 2400 points pack last night on my phone and then never ended up opening dota to accept them. I just booted it up and saw three in my inventory which is weird. I also just noticed the price for the various points are different now.. It was £4.99 last night and it's now £3.19 so am I getting back paid or something?

Yes

G.ZZZ

WW skillbuild rectified: 4-1-1-1. That W is way too unreliable for a nuke, it's more of a farming skill. The projectile is super megaslow too. Unless you have like Magnus and Enigma on ur team, maxing Q earlier feel a much safer and stable build. 1 level early for the slow and then it's situational which to max first even if i think W better in most games.

Flight to deward, flight to escape, flight to chase, 1100 range 40% slow with that 30% pure damage nuke is just so good in teamfights. Her R is another overrated ulti that is basically a roar in 90% of the cases. Trying to wait and use it as an AoE ult just make for many fights with the ult still off CD.
Mobility items are her best items imho. I'm trying to juggle with the build. I've tried blink/force/Eul and i prefer eul as first item as of now. Blink is decent but trying to find the perfect ulti in teamfights is often just worse compared to spamming ice breaths from afar and using her ulti in a safer way.

rexor0717

WW skillbuild rectified: 4-1-1-1. That W is way too unreliable for a nuke, it's more of a farming skill. The projectile is super megaslow too. Unless you have like Magnus and Enigma on ur team, maxing Q earlier feel a much safer and stable build. 1 level early for the slow and then it's situational which to max first even if i think W better in most games.

Flight to deward, flight to escape, flight to chase, 1100 range 40% slow with that 30% pure damage nuke is just so good in teamfights. Her R is another overrated ulti that is basically a roar in 90% of the cases. Trying to wait and use it as an AoE ult just make for many fights with the ult still off CD.
Mobility items are her best items imho. I'm trying to juggle with the build. I've tried blink/force/Eul and i prefer eul as first item as of now. Blink is decent but trying to find the perfect ulti in teamfights is often just worse compared to spamming ice breaths from afar and using her ulti in a safer way.
Good analysis, especially about the ult. Just as a disable its good and the other effect is icing on the cake. The one part I don't like is that it scales really poorly. Between level 1-3 don't you get like a half second more?

i usually go urn after tranqs.

i go bottle tranqs and euls then force.

I'm no expert on Phoenix, but iceiceice seems to be a big fan of Urn on Phoenix. Afterwards he gets either Mek or Midas, depending on the situation. Mek for early team fights, or if no early fights then Midas for fast levels, since Phoenix benefits a lot from levels. After that, it's more situational, scythe of vyse, or euls to deal with silence, or shivas for armor, etc. Of course this is offlane Phoenix rather than mid.

Yeah I think urn is better too but huskar got one first. I should try euls next time. ty.

side thought: there should be an euls emoticon.

52club

I'll add you, hopefully we can find a few more.

My bad I changed my name a while back when I was on a Riki kick, to:

watch your back

Also I won again with WK, so good.

I think I added you Eleuin, assuming your name matches your ID here.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Oh my god they still haven't fixed this dumb disconnecting bullshit in the year beast event

wtf wtf wtf

Kard8p3

Oh God, this is why I play DOTA.

Basically I picked Bristleback and dove the tiny like 4 minutes into the game killing him. He adds me and then goes on a tirade against me LOL. We won and he ended up going 2-15. At the end he changed his name to something like "I hope all Bristle pickers die"

dude is hella mad.

inkls

Wok

This is what I have just played with.

jaD3AJK.png

Just WTF is this player. Leshrac all the time, really?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You're supposed to cast W from behind fog!

W a creep -> Q and fly over trees -> pew pew pew

But yes it comes down to what you want to do in the early game, whether maximizing burst or harass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom