• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Print Screen I was so annoyed that I could never buy wards because they were always out of stock because of you, great dedication there
goodjob.gif

Thanks! To be fair I was just so bored that game I had nothing to do but look at the ward timer. Not a great match for supports.

Big Brett

I've been barely playing lately. Need to get back on and stack with the peeps who added me a bit ago. Want to get to know you fine ladies and gents!

Trickster

Why are these moba games so hard to get into <_<

Trying to buy items in the middle of a match and there's like a 100 small icons right next to each other @_@

Haunted

Trying to buy items in the middle of a match and there's like a 100 small icons right next to each other @_@
If you're new to the game, you should stick to the handful of items in the guide section anyway. :D

Trickster

Just type what you want in the top right its faster

Dude, I've played litterally 3 games of dota 2. I have no goddamn clue what the items are called :p

If you're new to the game, you should stick to the handful of items in the guide section anyway. :D

Yeah I know, but I wanted to see if any of the items I already had were able to be used to upgrade into a bigger item. And when you don't know the game inside out it just seems very....confusing

Quesa

Dude, I've played litterally 3 games of dota 2. I have no goddamn clue what the items are called :p

Yeah I know, but I wanted to see if any of the items I already had were able to be used to upgrade into a bigger item. And when you don't know the game inside out it just seems very....confusing

It doesn't seem that way. It is.

Keep playing and if you like the game, that stuff will eventually follow.

While in the store interface, you can right click an item in your inventory and choose to view its store page. That's what you're looking for.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

It's okay just buy Blink and Drums on every hero followed up SnY or a Skadi

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You could jump into a private game with bots and mess with the items for a bit. Turn on cheats and give your self a bunch of gold too.

Well I pretty much played all the inhouse games I could so hopefully I've done enough to impress. Mostly did well as support which is weird because that's not even the role I'm best at but then again I am best at initiation support so yeah. Except that mid necro game. That was brutal.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Personally I feel Eul's SF is garbage at my MMR. I don't think I have lost to it yet, SF get out carried really easily when he has sunk 6k gold into mobility items and only gotten 2 or 3 kills out of it.

Went 23/5/8 last game as Sniper, got Godlike twice. Shrapnel good spell
88EGmCc.gif

Low Tier
Personally I feel Eul's SF is garbage at my MMR. I don't think I have lost to it yet, SF get out carried really easily when he has sunk 6k gold into mobility items and only gotten 2 or 3 kills out of it.

Went 23/5/8 last game as Sniper, got Godlike twice. Shrapnel good spell
88EGmCc.gif

sniper.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
shoutout to madouu for being awesome

if you ever see me successfully gank someone it's because he showed me how

jew

Banned
hows euls sf garbage if it allows you to double raze almost every camp and never have to return to base? if anything its increasing your farming potential exponentially because of the movespeed+spammability. its actually better than a midas if you are efficient.

shira

hows euls sf garbage if it allows you to double raze almost every camp and never have to return to base? if anything its increasing your farming potential exponentially because of the movespeed+spammability. its actually better than a midas if you are efficient.

In potato tier you don't even raze. Max souls and armor aura.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Most SFs I see get it tend to go "Har har I am unkillable, and can now kill any support with my ult! Wait, don't what do you mean you had back up!"

I went though the last month of games. I played 6 SFs in match making, 3 won, 3 lose. All 3 that lost went Eul's/Blink, all 3 that won went different builds. Sure, the Eul's/Blink ones had over 500 GPM and XPM, but at about 40 minutes they had the likes of Eul's, Blink, Midas, BoTs, BKB, and then just get mowed down.

I can see it working if they were better at the game, but they weren't, and thus it was just a gold sink for them. But its a small sample size, maybe the guys were just having off games.

It's simply just the players saying 'I saw this in professional play, I should try this' without actually understanding why it works. Blade Mail Furion was the exact same thing (even though Blade Mail is much easier to understand).

Please, if you're playing Shadow Fiend, stick to safer items in pubs.

kionedrik

Just checked my dotabuff and in these past few weeks my record has been 40-9. I've gained nearly 600 MMR and even surpassed my calibration rank.

I'm scared, because when forced 50 hits it will hit hard.

_Legacy_

I'm looking for some people to play this with, feel free to add me: D4rk Legacy

I usually play 2/3 games a day after work in the UK. Get a bit bored with randoms sometimes, especially when they don't communicate.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I thought it was supposed to be internationally released? Wasn't that part of the deal with the contributors? What happened?
I really don't know, some of the items look released, but they are batting really low ownership numbers so far. I sort of wondered if any of you guys had more info.

I wrote a post earlier summarizing the most common and important items for beginners, hopefully this makes it a little easier for you:

Here, I've summarized the most important items in dota for beginners. Learning these (over time) should be a huge help! Items after the arrow means the first item can be upgraded into these. I linked to the wiki pages so you can find more info about the listed items.

EVERYBODY WANTS THESE:

Healing Salve, Tango, Clarity Potion

Buy these items at the start of the game to regenerate health and mana lost in the lane. Salves heal you by a lot in a short time, but are one-time use and the effect stops if you take damage. Tangos have 4 charges that heal you a little, slowly, but the effect cannot be removed. Clarities regenerate mana slowly, and can be stopped like salves. As a general rule, buy one of each at the start of the game.

Boots of Speed (-> Power Treads, Phase Boots, Arcane Boots, Tranquil Boots, Boots of Travel)

Movespeed is very important on any hero, so all heroes get boots ASAP. From there, you can upgrade these boots into 5 different variations. Boots are too expensive to buy at the start unless you are confident you don't need the regen items. However, make them your first priority once the game has started. On carries, upgrade boots into treads or phase boots (never both!) as they give attack speed or attack damage. On supports, get arcanes or tranquils (again, only one) as they give mana or health regen. Late game, consider Boots of Travel for free teleportation (more on that below).

Town Portal Scroll

Allows you to teleport to any tower you own, one-time use and on a cooldown of 65 seconds. Use this to move around the map quickly and efficiently, escape from enemy heroes without stuns, or quickly help allies that are attacked. Rule 1 of dota: always carry a tp scroll.

Magic Stick (-> Magic Wand)

Every time an enemy casts a spell nearby, your magic stick gains one charge. When you use the stick, it depletes all charges and gives you 15 health and mana for every charge. It can be cheaply upgraded into a magic wand which has the same function, but also gives you some extra stats. The magic stick/wand is a very cost-effective item that is generally good on everybody.

CARRIES WANT THESE:

Damage items

This is super dependant on the hero you're playing. Just follow the in-game suggested items for these.

Black King Bar

Activating this item makes you magic immune for 10 seconds (-1 second for each use, minimum 5 seconds), meaning you can't be damaged or affected by most enemy spells. Extremely useful for staying alive and effective in a fight.

Blink Dagger

Allows you to instantly jump a large distance every 12 seconds. Essential for any hero that needs to close the gap with enemies quickly (some supports get this item as well).

SUPPORTS WANT THESE:

Animal Courier (-> Flying Courier)

The courier will deliver items to everyone on your team so they don't have to walk all the way back to base. From 3 minutes onward, it can be upgraded into a flying courier which is faster. You only need one courier per team.

Observer Wards

Everytime you buy wards, you get a set of two. Wards can be placed around the map to give a large amount of vision for 7 minutes, like a watchtower. Every 6 minutes, a set becomes available, to a maximum of 2 sets.

Mekansm

When you activate a mek, you and all allies around you are healed for 250 hp. Players can only be healed this way once every 25 seconds, so having more than one mek on a team is redundant.

Hope this helps!

Purge is your friend

He does a great job of getting you into the game. Especially if you've found a hero that you want to play.

The noob stream from The Interational last year is also a good source.. it's on the dota2 website somewhere.. at work right now so I don't have a link.

Feel free to ask questions here too..

Why does every single legion go that stupid blink/shadowblade + blademail build, it never works out unless their team is already winning hard for them.

Last game a guy last picked legion when we needed a carry... and then went that build (because the guide told him so I guess?)

Obviously he can't farm for shit with those items and can't carry, at 40 minutes everyone on our team and the enemy team did 2-3x more damage than him.

The enemy team was a 5 man deathball too with a ton of stuns.
People who don't adjust their build based on the team setup or situation need their own seperate matchmaking...

I've also not seen this little variety in all pick in years.
People always pick the same few heroes this patch... troll, axe, pudge (always pudge no matter what patch:p) jugg, witch doctor,pa
there's always at least 3 of these in every game

Acinixys

I agree with this comment

I hope at some point Valve makes a statement along the lines of "if you swap teams 3 times in the period between the previous TI and current TI (before invites) you and the team you are on at the time cannot be eligible for TI" because honestly this is the most dumb shit ever

this team WILL disband after TI guaranteed, everyone knows it

Making team of known players just to get into TI is bullshit

People always pick the same few heroes this patch... troll, axe, pudge (always pudge no matter what patch:p) jugg, witch doctor,pa
there's always at least 3 of these in every game

You didnt mention LMFAO HO HO HA HA SHRAPNEL Sniper, aka the most annoying hero currently in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom