• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.
dota thread, how do you beat storm spirit

i tried searching for this but i can't find any useful tips

be better than storm spirit :(

In seriousness, I think silences fuck him up pretty bad. the standard long-duration disablers like Mag and Void should do pretty well against him as well. I struggle to deal with hat hero, too.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
playing as a support in a game with like any half decent storm spirit is just like.......okay i guess i'll just sit in my fountain. this is a fun game. i'm having fun rn.

Low Tier
pick skywrath and dual lane him mid.

qop
viper
sf
ember is 50/50 depending on if you watch your guard vs remnant/overload

Artanisix

As a support player mainly, I'll tell you that in MM, the best way I've found is exactly what 1.09 said -- choose Skywrath, buy boots and three clarities, and sit the fuck out of mid. Every last drop of mana goes to arcane bolting that son of a bitch. Steal every single one of his runes. Really, really slow down his snowball so it never gets to the point where he's just mowing down your team.

This is all general advice of course, since you'll still have to deal with enemy supports roaming, offlanes, blahty blah.

shira

Which hero you want to get first Ti5 immortals --> clink here 4 link

Weekly Reminders

TI5 Tickets on sale @ Ticketmaster --> direct link

Batch1
t1427475600z4.png

Batch2
t1427518800z4.png

MLG S1: Columbus April 10-12 Qualified: EG, NiP, Not Today, Rave, BBC, Empire
t1428685200z1.png

Starladder 12 & Dreamhack Bucharest April 24-26 Qualified: iG, VG, Tinker
t1429894800z1.png

May 1 TI INVITES

Red Bull Battle Grounds in SF May 10
t1431277200z1.png

Summit 3 May 13-17 Qualified: VG, Rave
t1431536400z1.png

i-League 3 May 19-24
t1432058400z1.png

TI5 Qualifiers (Last week of May)
t1432573200z1.png

MLG S2: Austin June 4-7
t1433437200z1.png

Dreamhack Jonkoping June 13-16
t1434214800z1.png

ESL-ONE Frankfurt June 20-21 Qualified: EG, VG, Secret
t1434819600z1.png

TI5 July 28- August 8
t1438106400z4.png

IHL2 starts
t1429925400z4.png

By the way, who were the scrubs who claimed that Terrorblade's most recent nerfs (400% illusion dmg) wouldn't kill him? Ridiculous. The hero is entirely dead and not self sufficient at all until he has a crapton of farm.

Low Tier
By the way, who were the scrubs who claimed that Terrorblade's most recent nerfs (400% illusion dmg) wouldn't kill him? Ridiculous. The hero is entirely dead and not self sufficient at all until he has a crapton of farm.

pretty sure terrorblade is like 100% winrate ihl Kappa

ok done.

bzlJVA9.jpg

AlITggr.png

Last game was solo offlane sniper with no wards. Was still carrying the team hard as hell. Safe carry first-pick Spectre with only 300gpm with a 45-minute Vanguard + Manta FTL. Monster in every game.

5:2 as safe carry
0:1 as off
1:1 as supp

KDA of almost 8? Not bad I guess. Not enough to carry dead weight, though.

Artanisix

Play Like a Pro is a great youtube series that does just what I recommend for people seriously looking to improve. It leaves professional commentary on while replaying a competitive game from player perspective. Lots of very good and very recent material in the channel too.

Pick a player or role you like and spend some time watching what goes on.

Raytow

Thanks for the kind words, also thanks to the guy coaching had a long as name, and don't recall it from the forums, but thanks nevertheless.
ps:what should I buy as earth spirit? skill is w q e max e then w, ulti when available.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ok done.

bzlJVA9.jpg

AlITggr.png

Last game was solo offlane sniper with no wards. Was still carrying the team hard as hell. Safe carry first-pick Spectre with only 300gpm with a 45-minute Vanguard + Manta FTL. Monster in every game.

grtz. Good performance in all games. Should go higher.
Play Like a Pro is a great youtube series that does just what I recommend for people seriously looking to improve. It leaves professional commentary on while replaying a competitive game from player perspective. Lots of very good and very recent material in the channel too.

Will check out.

grtz. Good performance in all games. Should go higher.

Will check out.

ty sir. 7-4 now. It really is refreshing having balanced team comps. Even if people suck sometimes, at least the comp *could* have won.

ty will watch. I still don't feel comfortable with when to pull a lane as Supp. I hate putting carries in the position to have to farm under tower, but I don't know if a lane's equilibrium can be reset without having to deal with the occasional last-hitting under tower. Maybe one of the episodes has that featured.

Wok

ok done.

bzlJVA9.jpg

AlITggr.png

By the look of it, you were at 3.7K MMR after 4 games: 3rd game is "high skill", 4th game is "very high skill", 5th game is "high skill", 6th game is "very high skill".

So your last 4 games only made you win about 0.1K MMR on average, despite your insane KDA ratio.

I don't know from which hidden MMR you started, but by the look of it, the ranking system only needed 3 games to match you to your current MMR.

RoVlC2E.png

In my case, I did the calibration with Legion Commander because it was an all-new hero which I wanted to play with the Arcana which I had bought. I did not know how to play this hero, kept initating team fights with duel, and got matched to 2.5K MMR.

If I had to do it again, I would just spam Silencer with slahser's build.

fPjLQ59.png

My win-rate even increases dramatically with the game duration.

6ObyFUv.png

Jesus, you got 7 games out of 10 as safelane carry?

yessir. I simply asked for the lane, clicked a hero and clicked the minimap. ez no problems.

By the look of it, you were at 3.7K MMR after 4 games: 3rd game is "high skill", 4th game is "very high skill", 5th game is "high skill", 6th game is "very high skill".

So your last 4 games only made you win about 0.1K MMR on average, despite your insane KDA ratio.

I don't know from which hidden MMR you started, but by the look of it, the ranking system only needed 3 games to match you to your current MMR.
Very interesting. In most of the games someone was 4K (~3.9-4.2 depending on the game). I figured it'd be around there, yea.

In my case, I did the calibration with Legion Commander because it was an all-new hero which I wanted to play with the Arcana which I had bought. I did not know how to play this hero, kept initating team fights with duel, and got matched to 2.5K MMR.

If I had to do it again, I would just spam Silencer with slahser's build.
Nice work on LC, damn.

Also, funny we just shit on a Slasher Silencer.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1342089018

Bought a gem at 15 minutes and that was fuckin that. We terrorized them mercilessly.

kionedrik

Is there any VODs of last night's IHL games?

I'd like to check something but I can't look in-client.

PS: It's not my 20 urn charges nyx plays... Let it go.

Big Brett

ok done.

bzlJVA9.jpg

AlITggr.png

Wow I'm bad. Haha.

Acinixys

Playing in a two stack and both randoming into the offlane is the most fun ive had in ages

First game was Wraith King + Leigon and game two was Tiny + Axe

Also how can I know when an IH game is on so I can watch. The two ive seen have been at like 2am my time.

kvk1

Yesterday I saved an enemy Storm's life from certain death by disrupting him right as our Axe was culling.

I literally strolled over from base, walked up to a fight that was nearing an end for our advantage, and made sure the enemy didn't die.

cBj1LTf.png

DrPizza

Banned
can you use items through his seven hour disable?

i'm not a mid player, i mostly play supports
So the trick with Storm Spirit is, the more health you have, the more mana he needs. If you keep him down early on then, unless he's very good (Sumail, for example, who managed to _just_ buy out each time before dying, and then get like a double kill) then his item and level progression should be sufficiently slowed that he runs out of mana whenever he tries for a kill.

So, tank up, and shit on him in lane.

ksan

thats actually an awesome channel, thanks

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So the trick with Storm Spirit is, the more health you have, the more mana he needs. If you keep him down early on then, unless he's very good (Sumail, for example, who managed to _just_ buy out each time before dying, and then get like a double kill) then his item and level progression should be sufficiently slowed that he runs out of mana whenever he tries for a kill.

So, tank up, and shit on him in lane.

well, as i say i'm a support player so i dunno exactly how feasible it is to get tanking items, but thanks anyway

kionedrik

Out of curiosity, what have been the most picked heroes in IHL games?

From what I played it seems Lion, Witch Doctor and Sand King have a clear advantage, followed by Storm, Jugg and maybe Gyro.

abunai

well, as i say i'm a support player so i dunno exactly how feasible it is to get tanking items, but thanks anyway

It's not the most helpful advice if you don't have someone to co-ordinate with but whenever I see the enemy team picking a storm, me and a friend usually smoke gank with Skywrath + stunsupport. Aka shitting on him in lane. However, if Storm does have a good laning stage and I'm still a position 5 Crystal Maiden who is ~5 levels behind him, I focus on dewarding, to prevent him from having ganking room to maneuver on our side of the map. I really like playing a roaming duo type support in this scenario, but it isn't always an option. Disruptor makes his life a nightmare though, which should buy you plenty of time for teammates to rotate.

I cannot express the thoughts in my head properly, this is a lot of words which really says nothing at all.

Pratfall

i think the important takeaway from that post is that if you want to beat storm, make his early game hell which you are best equipped to do as a support. pre 6, he has no escape, so buy a smoke and gank him mid. very few storms in pubs will see that coming. then, when he gets back to lane, kill him again. make it your focus to ensure that your midlaner has levels and farm on storm and then, when he hits 6, he will be so desperate for xp and gold from kills, play safe, never be alone and always be in a position to help someone who is vulnerable to a storm gank.

itemizing against a snowballing storm as a poor support is incredibly difficult, so have the maximum impact that you can when you are most relevant.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
disruptor - glimpse

yeah i've been meaning to play a bit more disruptor anyway; my issue is that it seems like any smart SS will always pick off disruptor first anyway. i guess you have to try and bait him into jumping on someone else? idk.

It's not the most helpful advice if you don't have someone to co-ordinate with but whenever I see the enemy team picking a storm, me and a friend usually smoke gank with Skywrath + stunsupport. Aka shitting on him in lane. However, if Storm does have a good laning stage and I'm still a position 5 Crystal Maiden who is ~5 levels behind him, I focus on dewarding, to prevent him from having ganking room to maneuver on our side of the map. I really like playing a roaming duo type support in this scenario, but it isn't always an option. Disruptor makes his life a nightmare though, which should buy you plenty of time for teammates to rotate.

I cannot express the thoughts in my head properly, this is a lot of words which really says nothing at all.
it's a lot of words that's really useful! to be honest i really need to work on my rotating, roaming, and ganking anyway and have needed to for a long time, so this is really valuable feedback.
i think the important takeaway from that post is that if you want to beat storm, make his early game hell which you are best equipped to do as a support. pre 6, he has no escape, so buy a smoke and gank him mid. very few storms in pubs will see that coming. then, when he gets back to lane, kill him again. make it your focus to ensure that your midlaner has levels and farm on storm and then, when he hits 6, he will be so desperate for xp and gold from kills, play safe, never be alone and always be in a position to help someone who is vulnerable to a storm gank.

itemizing against a snowballing storm as a poor support is incredibly difficult, so have the maximum impact that you can when you are most relevant.
see above; seems like the big takeaway from this is 'learn how to rotate, roam, and gank', which is something i need to do anyway. so this is all helpful.

now i just have to learn how to do those things.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
so i guess the natural follow-on from that post is: does anyone know of any good guides on how to roam, gank, and rotate?

The best part about disruptor is that you can put your kinetic field around their ancient as it explodes. gg ez bm.

Also my #RoadTo3K journey is way more stressful than it should be. I only needed 1 win for 3k from calibration, and so far it has been loss-win-loss-win...

By the way here's my super secret disruptor item build tip: don't get mana boots. Instead, go boots - magic stick - urn (plus standard support items). This gives you just enough hp and mana regen to get by and gank often, at least in my experience. After that get aghs if the enemy carries get bkb, or hex if they don't. If youre doing exceptionally well early game, get euls instead of urn for easy solo kills (euls -> ult -> wait a sec -> kinetic field).

From what I played it seems Lion, Witch Doctor and Sand King have a clear advantage, followed by Storm, Jugg and maybe Gyro.

hard to tell since there are multiple lobbies at different times.
when the ticket gets accepted then we should be able to see all games and stats on dotabuff.

kionedrik

so i guess the natural follow-on from that post is: does anyone know of any good guides on how to roam, gank, and rotate?

From my experience, there's 3 major rules that you must always obey:

- Never rotate alone and be sure to have at least one reliable disable. This means that you will always have the means to lock your target in a position that is favourable to you, i.e. not under his tower.

- Make sure to have vision of the person and area you are rotating into, otherwise it will be a waste of time and money of the smoke (at least), most of the times it can come at the cost of your own death.

- A sucessful rotation is useless if your carry is left in a position where he can't farm or is vulnerable to getting easily picked off.

There are a lot of other small things, like show in lane before rotating, gank middle from the top rune stairs, etc...

Edit: Regarding tanking up as a support, there's a lot of cost effective choices like bracer, urn, medallion, tranqs, basi->vlads, mek. (I think I listed them by price but I'm not sure)

52club

I'm really enjoying the space cow. I went on quite a run with him this weekend. Basically Treads into Blademail into MOM into BKB seems like a really good build on him. This is such a counter to any sniper pick.

I saw a couple of items on Axe and Luna this weekend I had never seen. Which one is more controversial:

Phase boots into blink on Axe

Blink into Manta into Refresher on Luna

Both made me chuckle a little bit.

Chris R

I'm really enjoying the space cow. I went on quite a run with him this weekend. Basically Treads into Blademail into MOM into BKB seems like a really good build on him. This is such a counter to any sniper pick.

I saw a couple of items on Axe and Luna this weekend I had never seen. Which one is more controversial:

Phase boots into blink on Axe

Blink into Manta into Refresher on Luna

Both made me chuckle a little bit.

Yup, sniper is so easy to destroy as the cow. Even better when your team has nice warding or a riki/bh/ect to spot for the charge.

Only bummer was having to only go 5 slotted since I had to carry a dust when they build shadow blade :(

Vaporak

Practically every IH I play has been against a Gofu techies. :(

Demoli

SK, Gyro and maybe storm arent that common. Bristleback should def be up there and Silencer has been quite common too. Tide aswell.

lion, axe, and sniper also show up more than I expect. They should probably be banned more frequently.

And there's a lot more SB than I would expect.

voOsh

I've played ~6 IHL games so far and it has been a blast. I'm not calibrated and generally don't know wtf I'm doing but everyone is cool and no raging. I'm also learning a bunch.

Last night our captain (shoutout to Eventide) picked Sniper/Chen into Spirit Breaker/Clinkz. I thought for sure we were toast b/c everything I watch says SB >>>> Sniper. But we ended up winning pretty handily. I believe we were using Storm as bait to keep SB off Sniper?

So anyway the moral of the story is to play IH games if you haven't yet! With all the signups we should be able to get 3+ lobbies popping off in the evenings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom