• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleuin

Undying always delivers the W

especially since somebody said in this thread that you can soul rip the tombstone

Haunted

you guys were right; nobody focuses the tombstone during YB fights

undying is kind of nuts if he's able to stay alive
My winrate with Undying tanked for a while when I transitioned into an MMR bracket of people who understood that you actually have to focus the tombstone asap. ;_;

My winrate with Undying tanked for a while when I transitioned into an MMR bracket of people who understood that you actually have to focus the tombstone asap. ;_;

After this event look forward to everyone focusing the tombstone. just like how people learned to get MKB vs PA
grave.gif
cry.gif

Hylian7

After this event look forward to everyone focusing the tombstone. just like how people learned to get MKB vs PA
grave.gif
cry.gif

To be fair, I think people always new to get MKB vs PA (in general, you ran into the occasionaly dumbass that doesn't, and they probably still don't), it was usually just they fed her like any other carry and the game was out of anyone's hands by the time they would have been able to get an MKB.

BHK3

Banned
That reminds me, I asked this the other day but no one answered.

Do people ever max Decay on Undying? Someone mentioned they were surprised to see only one point in it the other day and that makes perfect sense to me. The strength steal is the same, the damage itself isn't that great, and you certainly don't have the mana early game to be spamming it on those shorter cooldowns, so the longer cooldown is fine. I would think maxing Decay is garbage, and Soul Rip or Tombstone is the one you want. Which one of those though?

If youre going early teamfight I go would go decay over soul rip after soul rip is level two. People keep saying its good but how often are you going to have that many units around to do that kind of damage? You need the decay on a shorter cooldown, you can easily sustain it with mana items like euls and atos.

Accidentally queued for a regular match because I can't read. Thanks anti event whiners.

Everyone quit once they realised it wasn't year beast. By the time I realised there was only 30 seconds left on the timer and I couldn't get in a match.

manfestival

Yup, they are more frequent but now you can only gift them so no Community Market. At least I think that's how it works.

I cant imagine that this drop system will last. Seems kinda silly and only something for the event

I miss the old system. It wasnt broken and it was nice to "level up"

kiguel182

I cant imagine that this drop system will last. Seems kinda silly and only something for the event

I'm a big Dota noob so I have no idea if it will last but I hope it does since being able to sell items is a pretty big incentive to keep playing.

But there doesn't seem to be any uproar against the new system so it's probably here to stay.

BHK3

Banned
new system drops mythicals and rares like candy, it would be nuts if you could sell them

The tag system hasnt meant anything in a very long time since literally everything out there is rare mythical legendary immortal. They can simply break the sets up and add it all to the drop list and everyones going to be getting items nonstop every game and revitalize the market.

If you still want to, got a wrath of ka set of necrophos to trade, I am only online in two hours or so though.

Its an ok offer but the centaur set I feel is worth 2 of those kinds of sets, srry.

Hylian7

Yep, if you pay attention you will notice the report doesn't actually go though, there is no confirmation message on the left. You can't report the same player more then twice in 24 hours.

Yeah, you don't hear the Culling Blade sound either.

Still wonder why he got more time on his mute though.

deleted

Since I got back into playing, I learned that I have so little actual knowledge about this game - I can only play a few heroes and only because they have to improvise very little in their item build, which are ES, Lich and Veno.

So most of the time I play Earthshaker which works pretty well - Arcane Boots, Blink Dagger and as many wards as possible.
But I will lose each match against a Witch Doctor - I just hate his guts with his stupid ward. What is a solid tactic against him and what items are a must to shut him down?

Wok

I prefer the more frequent drops even though they are untradable.

Indeed, I have always found it silly to offer drops which you could trade on the market as an incentive to play the game: most of the drops are sold for a few cents, it makes the game look like a very cheaply paid work.

What is more sane is being happy to get free drops to get to wear them in the next games.

The tag system hasnt meant anything in a very long time since literally everything out there is rare mythical legendary immortal. They can simply break the sets up and add it all to the drop list and everyones going to be getting items nonstop every game and revitalize the market.

Its an ok offer but the centaur set I feel is worth 2 of those kinds of sets, srry.

Lol, they are sets in the same chest and mine is worth a bit more.

Razzer

Since I got back into playing, I learned that I have so little actual knowledge about this game - I can only play a few heroes and only because they have to improvise very little in their item build, which are ES, Lich and Veno.

So most of the time I play Earthshaker which works pretty well - Arcane Boots, Blink Dagger and as many wards as possible.
But I will lose each match against a Witch Doctor - I just hate his guts with his stupid ward. What is a solid tactic against him and what items are a must to shut him down?

Well, firstly let me ruin your day by saying that a few pro ES players (Notably PPD, whos, y'know, captain of the DAC winners) go tranqs soul ring not arcanes. Goddamn flexible build paths.

But more seriously, if you want to beat WD, then shaker is actually a pretty good choice. Most notably because you have a fucking huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge stun that can cancel his ult from half the map away. So if the ward is wrecking you, save fissure in fights for cancelling it. Other than that, burst is better than sustained damage vs WD cus of his heal. You wanna kill people quickly so he doesn't get much healing done. When not playing ES, that most amazing of items euls is good because 1) it's euls, and 2) it cancels his ult.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

When he drops ward, stun him ASAP. You may even want to hold a stun back until he tries to use it. If you want to itemize specifically vs him, you can look into build vlads or get someone else to pick one up, the armor aura will reduce the damage the ward does a lot (And ES has low armor), or possibly even grab a Eul's to have one more disable to toss on him to stop the ward (You can also Eul's your self to get rid of a silence if that is an issue).

Not to much you can do about the stun except don't group up.

deleted

Well, firstly let me ruin your day by saying that a few pro ES players (Notably PPD, whos, y'know, captain of the DAC winners) go tranqs soul ring not arcanes. Goddamn flexible build paths.

But more seriously, if you want to beat WD, then shaker is actually a pretty good choice. Most notably because you have a fucking huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge stun that can cancel his ult from half the map away. So if the ward is wrecking you, save fissure in fights for cancelling it. Other than that, burst is better than sustained damage vs WD cus of his heal. You wanna kill people quickly so he doesn't get much healing done. When not playing ES, that most amazing of items euls is good because 1) it's euls, and 2) it cancels his ult.

Thanks - I will try the tranq / soul ring combo - sounds like it could work a lot faster in the early game. Does it make sense to upgrade to a Bloodstone later on?

When he drops ward, stun him ASAP. You may even want to hold a stun back until he tries to use it. If you want to itemize specifically vs him, you can look into build vlads or get someone else to pick one up, the armor aura will reduce the damage the ward does a lot (And ES has low armor), or possibly even grab a Eul's to have one more disable to toss on him to stop the ward (You can also Eul's your self to get rid of a silence if that is an issue).

Not to much you can do about the stun except don't group up.

I almost forgot about the wd stun ugh..
Yeah, I have to position a lot better when playing against a WD. He always comes in late after I already used my stun and can just place the ward and relax.

Razzer

What and odd age we live in. Pudge is no longer even in the Top 3 most played this week, he is down to #4!
http://www.dotabuff.com/heroes/played?date=week

Sniper for some reason is #1, then Jugg, then Axe.

For Sniper my theory would be that the shrapnel changes have made him both a better hero, so people pick him to win more, and more fun to play, which has always been the reason Pudge was #1. He's one of the heroes like PA or Jugg that was always around that top played area and got pushed up for one reason or another. I do think this may be the end of an era for ol' Pudgey though, him getting kicked from top spot is getting more and more common, which is of course great for the game as the playerbase as a whole generates a more diverse hero pool.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Take away main reason to play sniper -> Make him better and more popular than ever

Based aisufroggu.

Jadax

How people still manage to join this event even though they want to play a normal game is just amazing.

Had a gyro picker farming up ancients like a normal game...all game.

Razzer

Thanks - I will try the tranq / soul ring combo - sounds like it could work a lot faster in the early game. Does it make sense to upgrade to a Bloodstone later on?

I almost forgot about the wd stun ugh..
Yeah, I have to position a lot better when playing against a WD. He always comes in late after I already used my stun and can just place the ward and relax.

Ha, no, I would not recommend bloodstone. The mana can be gotten from utility items, most notably forcestaff which would be my go to item after blink. Euls is also a good choice, veil if your team has magic damage. If you have got enough farm for more than that you are either stomping or the game is like an hour long. ES ain't ever gonna have tons of farm in a normal game.

Hylian7

I think the biggest thing people don't understand in this event (at least my stackmates sometimes) is that you absolutely SHOULD NOT 5-MAN when beasts are down. You have to split up and farm a bit. I usually play Magnus in this thing, I need to farm a blink, if both beasts die and my team goes "Come on lets 5-man these towers" I tell them "No, I'm not delaying my Blink"

Acinixys

Wrong wrong wrong

This system will stay for at least 6 months and possible eternity

Every set dropping and then being trade-able makes Valve lose TRILLONS (guesstimate) of dollars every month

Why would you buy a new set for $4 when its $1 in the market?

This system allows players to trade for what they really want while keeping Valves money flowing.

I mean Dota only makes money off of hats, so this system makes sense business wise

won again in this mode with undying, he really is great

honestly the biggest factor I've seen in games won vs. games lost (other than 5-manning mid with the beast, which wins basically always) is whether or not people actually spend their points

Hand of God straight up wins fights and Global Silence ain't no slouch, either

deleted

Ha, no, I would not recommend bloodstone. The mana can be gotten from utility items, most notably forcestaff which would be my go to item after blink. Euls is also a good choice, veil if your team has magic damage. If you have got enough farm for more than that you are either stomping or the game is like an hour long. ES ain't ever gonna have tons of farm in a normal game.

Thanks for the tips - really appreciate it!

After blink I normally go for an Aghanims - most of the time I won't make it though. I mostly deny in the early game and harass wherever possible / try to position myself for a good stun.

Wrong wrong wrong

This system will stay for at least 6 months and possible eternity

Every set dropping and then being trade-able makes Valve lose TRILLONS (guesstimate) of dollars every month

Why would you buy a new set for $4 when its $1 in the market?

This system allows players to trade for what they really want while keeping Valves money flowing.

I mean Dota only makes money off of hats, so this system makes sense business wise

I think Valve realized that having a strong secondary market for in-game items is good in theory, but in practice it just caters to the worst types of people (gamblers, speculators, collectors).

I can't imagine them being particularly thrilled about the super strong CS:GO cosmetics market because of all the betting and collusion shenanigans.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They want a secondary market to exist, otherwise they wouldn't even have the Steam marketplace.

What they don't want, however, is the runaway devaluation that happened under the old drop system. Once, you could sell your individual hats for a dime or a quarter. But towards the end of the old drop system, you would be picking up full sets for maybe $0.20. And these would be quality items too, not like the shoddy output that characterized the first hats in the game. Only the rare chase items had any kind of stable value.

By lowering the amount of hats entering circulation, they can keep the prices for non-chase items reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom