• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about it made me realise that I can't recall if I ever saw anyone use a nickname to talk to another person. Usually players are referred to as the hero they're playing.

Yeah exactly, it seems pointless to show player name instead of hero name. A simple option in the menu or even a config variable would be perfect.

shira

Need some opinions please.
88EGmCc.gif

I'm due to rewrite the back end of the prize pool tracking site in the near future to make things easier for me and I'm considering redoing the front end as well.

I could really use some ideas of how the ticket pages themselves should be structured instead of the current table layout.

UI design isn't my forte, do you think I should continue with this new framework?

I prefer the rectangle icons and the top-down
9icXf9a.jpg

Hylian7

So uhh, I know we talk other genre/dotalike games, and this is sort of a self-plug, but my company announced this game today: Call of Champions

http://www.callofchampions.com/#/

Basically, it's a MOBA more meant for mobile. Matches are limited to 5 minutes in duration, 3v3, no creeps (and by extension no farming), instead of creeps you have these orbs on the two lanes that you can push (think like the carts from TF2) and when you get them into the tower they debuff the tower and make it do much less damage so you can actually tank the damage from it.

I of course have played it, and can definitely say it is fun, and the right direction to go for the mobile platform. They understand that trying to be LoL or Dota is a bad idea, and it's especially a bad idea to do that on the mobile platform.

Anyway, enjoy, I thought I would drop that here!

Edit: If this isn't okay to have in this thread I can edit all this out, no biggie. This isn't astroturfed or anything, this is just me posting about it.

So uhh, I know we talk other genre/dotalike games, and this is sort of a self-plug, but my company announced this game today: Call of Champions

http://www.callofchampions.com/#/

Basically, it's a MOBA more meant for mobile. Matches are limited to 5 minutes in duration, 3v3, no creeps (and by extension no farming), instead of creeps you have these orbs on the two lanes that you can push (think like the carts from TF2) and when you get them into the tower they debuff the tower and make it do much less damage so you can actually tank the damage from it.

I of course have played it, and can definitely say it is fun, and the right direction to go for the mobile platform. They understand that trying to be LoL or Dota is a bad idea, and it's especially a bad idea to do that on the mobile platform.

Anyway, enjoy, I thought I would drop that here!

Edit: If this isn't okay to have in this thread I can edit all this out, no biggie. This isn't astroturfed or anything, this is just me posting about it.

cool stuff man. this is the new gig?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
naw

Endless Legend
Pillars of Eternity
Cities Skylines

I dunno what to tell you. Those all look like cheap, crappy, Unity engine games to me.

Not saying all Unity Engine games are bad, but most of them have a plasticy look to them that makes them look like discount mobile games.

Dreamfall Chapters is probably the only Unity game I've played recently that looks good for a Unity game.

I dunno what to tell you. Those all look like cheap, crappy, Unity engine games to me.

Not saying all Unity Engine games are bad, but most of them have a plasticy look to them that makes them look like discount mobile games.

Dreamfall Chapters is probably the only Unity game I've played recently that looks good for a Unity game.

how does endless legend look crappy and cheap

it looks like a normal game

Well no, you did not say there all were bad, just that they all looked bad. Which is silly because there is a huuuuuuuge amount of variety.

Quesa

See this is like when you go to do dishes for a while then come back and the kids are all behaved and quiet and you're like why can't you just be like this more often

Thread I'll give you a twix bar if you keep this up after school

Hylian7

See this is like when you go to do dishes for a while then come back and the kids are all behaved and quiet and you're like why can't you just be like this more often

Thread I'll give you a twix bar if you keep this up after school

PERUVIANS ARE RUINING MY GAMES
PERUVIANS ARE ALL BAD AT DOTA
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

My job is actually unrelated to development of the game, it's on the metrics side of things/database.

However, I will be casting some matches at the SXSW Gaming Expo of it.

Hylian going for that RiotPhreak career path I see.

Unity engine games all look like cheap crap.

3D games in Unity by amateur teams all have the same tell tale look to them. Its usually people who use stock lighting and shaders.

Luckily Unity 5s default lighting and what not is a lot better so hopefully it'll stop giving us those ugly looking games.

I may get into actual development of the games eventually, just depends on where I feel like going in the company. Initially I was hired on to do ETL stuff (Extract, Transform, Load).

Phreak was originally on the design/balance team at Riot and when the eSports stuff picked up he was one of the people over their who cared about it the most, and eventually he became their outward face for eSports and one of their first full time casters.

I don't work in games but we have a guy where I work whose whole job is metrics, so I know what you're talking about.

Gamasutra has an article up about the economics of Announcer Packs in DotA2: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...business_of_Dota_2s_indie_Announcer_Packs.php

the latest leeg champ came out of a dude who was in it or something and wanted to try design

i think i got that right

we're telling you to go work for riot hylian

Gamasutra has an article up about the economics of Announcer Packs in DotA2: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...business_of_Dota_2s_indie_Announcer_Packs.php
interesting to see how defense grid really didn't do that much

thought it would have been way more even at a minimum

also the article says the battleblock theater one is coming out in a few weeks, that one should be good

Chris R

interesting to see how defense grid really didn't do that much

I think it comes down to timing and the fact that the game wasn't that big compared to others like Bastion and Stanley.

First game came out in 08. The sequel came out last year.

Had the announcer pack released at the same time as the sequel it might have done better, IDK. If the company was smart they would work with valve to do some kind of combo pack for the next summer or winter sale. I liked the first game but I'm waiting for a sale to grab the second (and nothing replaces Stanley for me for now in game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom