• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldnt tell on my iPads screen

Dropped

You guys wanted a cool Terrorblade?

637x358.resizedimage

Thats cool. Could be bundled with the next starladder ticket since they are in the created by list.
Edit: it's written in the description actually.

I was watching a VOD of a Join DotA masters game last night and two things immediately stood out to me:

1. TheCapitalist has hair now!
2. Why did Fire rename their team to the trolly "Summoners Rift"?

inkls

stove suggested i try invoker

Actually. If you want to try Invoker just go Quas Wex invoker. Hes really easy. You only need two spells to be effective. Just invoker Emp + tornado.

Cast emp then tornado in a teamfight. Win teamfight. ez. You can try using ghost walk or cold snap from time to time, but its probably the easiest way to play invoker.

So I've been thinking about the Source 2 migration. Valve said they plan to launch it first half this year. I'm skeptical about that, but not because Valve Time, but TI. Everything has to work without issues by the time it starts, and this should include the qualies. Once the migration goes live it's bound to have issues, and if they don't fix it in time that puts the event in jeopardy. Not to mention other tourneys like Frankfurt. So safer to launch it after Summer. But then again, there's going to be other tourneys after TI, so if they don't want to cause annoyance, they might as well never launch it...

Would it make sense if Valve made a separate branch and library entry for the Source 2 version and keep the Source 1 branch for tourneys? Or Valve will just swap the old version out fully and some tourneys will have to take the risk?

shira

So I've been thinking about the Source 2 migration. Valve said they plan to launch it first half this year. I'm skeptical about that, but not because Valve Time, but TI. Everything has to work without issues by the time it starts, and this should include the qualies. Once the migration goes live it's bound to have issues, and if they don't fix it in time that puts the event in jeopardy. Not to mention other tourneys like Frankfurt. So safer to launch it after Summer. But then again, there's going to be other tourneys after TI, so if they don't want to cause annoyance, they might as well never launch it...

Would it make sense if Valve made a separate branch and library entry for the Source 2 version and keep the Source 1 branch for tourneys? Or Valve will just swap the old version out fully and some tourneys will have to take the risk?

I can see there being an entirely separate folder from "dota beta"

They patch both versions, if Source is unstable then they can just boot the non-s2 version.

Hylian7

I can see there being an entirely separate folder from "dota beta"

They patch both versions, if Source is unstable then they can just boot the non-s2 version.

That would have to be that opt in, I know the cache of the game will eventually double over time, but there is no way they would effectively nearly double it all at once. That would be crazy.

shira

☐ Not REKT ☐ REKT
TtQKxEi.gif
REKTquiem of Souls

That would have to be that opt in, I know the cache of the game will eventually double over time, but there is no way they would effectively nearly double it all at once. That would be crazy.

Maybe it will be like the old Tournament Mode

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Actually. If you want to try Invoker just go Quas Wex invoker. Hes really easy. You only need two spells to be effective. Just invoker Emp + tornado.

Cast emp then tornado in a teamfight. Win teamfight. ez. You can try using ghost walk or cold snap from time to time, but its probably the easiest way to play invoker.

okay i'll try this

i did exort quas, too hard

Hylian7

☐ Not REKT ☐ REKT
TtQKxEi.gif
REKTquiem of Souls

Maybe it will be like the old Tournament Mode

That would make sense.

Random bit of rant here, one thing I have learned even moreso at my job is that game metrics are so damn fascinating. I can understand how it works in IceFrog's shoes that he basically has a shitload of metrics at his fingertips for balancing. It's amazing to me, and probably a reason why I love stuff like Dotabuff plus so much.

inkls

okay i'll try this

i did exort quas, too hard

Quas Wex is also better early because its lots of burst while Quas Exort has more rightclick dmg iirc. Only big downside i think is the base dmg on Quas Wex is horrible so you might want to buy a the dmg component of phase boots and get phase boots asap to compensate.

DrPizza

Banned
Bought six chests. Got the Disruptor set. Death Prophet set is pretty good, Disruptor set looks good, Phantom Lancer set is good. TA set gives her a Croydon Facelift, not sure I care for it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Ward for the extremely rare
cBj1LTf.png

The best wards have long been established as Valve-released anyway e.g. Wardfish and the bat thing. I dunno why a workshop designer would be like "oh yeah I know what will stoke the old creative juices a nice generic ward."

I genuinely can't remember the last set I saw that got me excited which wasn't the first set for a hero e.g. Timber and Tiny recently. Now that there's no cosmetic-ready heroes left without sets almost everything is just totally uninteresting. Ditch all these generic sets and go back to quirky one-off items like the Rotten Stache and shit. Infinitely more interesting. That's why all anyone actually cares about anymore are Immortals.

xanavi

Sniper and drow lineups always seem balanced on a knife edge.

Those are the two heroes I'd pick if I wanted to 322 and make it inconspicuous.

shira

PATCH UP, NEW CHEST , CASH OUT!

dota2blog: "If you don’t see your favorite New Bloom set in either treasure, don’t fret. The community created so many exceptional designs this year that there was no way we could get them all out in time for New Bloom’s end. We’ll be releasing many more sets submitted for New Bloom with future treasures."

Dat consolation prize.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The best wards have long been established as Valve-released anyway e.g. Wardfish and the bat thing. I dunno why a workshop designer would be like "oh yeah I know what will stoke the old creative juices a nice generic ward."

Both that bat and ward-fish were community created.

KingKong

I genuinely can't remember the last set I saw that got me excited which wasn't the first set for a hero e.g. Timber and Tiny recently. Now that there's no cosmetic-ready heroes left without sets almost everything is just totally uninteresting. Ditch all these generic sets and go back to quirky one-off items like the Rotten Stache and shit. Infinitely more interesting. That's why all anyone actually cares about anymore are Immortals.

the best cosmetics have always been Valves, I agree that it's so hard to care about these sets after Valve's TI immortals, but I suppose you can't compete with a thing that turns your hex into a fish

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Bit the bullet and did ranked with my friend, we ended up 2 - 1 which I'm happy with, the best thing was all the games were even, it wasn't stomp or be stomped and that's exactly why I started playing Dota 2 because people told me the matchmaking was solid. Hopefully I can avoid smurfs for as long as possible and continue to enjoy the game while doing my placement matches.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Bit the bullet and did ranked with my friend, we ended up 2 - 1 which I'm happy with, the best thing was all the games were even, it wasn't stomp or be stomped and that's exactly why I started playing Dota 2 because people told me the matchmaking was solid. Hopefully I can avoid smurfs for as long as possible and continue to enjoy the game while doing my placement matches.

I'd still really recommend against finishing your ranked calibration at this point. You're going to end up getting ranked at 1k or whatever and it will take forever to climb. You're much better off practicing in unranked and calibrating at a higher level in ranked when you're ready.

I'd still really recommend against finishing your ranked calibration at this point. You're going to end up getting ranked at 1k or whatever and it will take forever to climb. You're much better off practicing in unranked and calibrating at a higher level in ranked when you're ready.

I keep telling that to newcomers and they insist on doing their calibration
Probably think they're hot stuff and will get to 5k directly hah.

Strider

Take this advice. If I could do it over again I wouldn't have gone to ranked as soon as it was available. Definitely a mistake.

--

Got the PL set from the new treasure \O/ The morph set is pretty cool as well but this is the only one I really wanted.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

I definitely don't think I'm hot stuff, but I do want to play with my friend and he wants to play ranked. I can save solo queue for later.

Hylian7

I disagree, to get ranked as low as something like 1k, even if you lose every calibration match, is pretty difficult.

I think the calibration matches generally do what they are intended to do: Place you at a correct MMR to start. I think I was calibrated somewhere around 3500-3700 in both solo and party if I remember correctly. That's not terrible, I was fine with that.

Even if you somehow DO get 1k, I think those games are incredibly easy to cheese your way out of. You could probably pick Pudge and miss half of your hooks and win them.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I disagree, to get ranked as low as something like 1k, even if you lose every calibration match, is pretty difficult.

I think the calibration matches generally do what they are intended to do: Place you at a correct MMR to start. I think I was calibrated somewhere around 3500-3700 in both solo and party if I remember correctly. That's not terrible, I was fine with that.

Even if you somehow DO get 1k, I think those games are incredibly easy to cheese your way out of. You could probably pick Pudge and miss half of your hooks and win them.

Yes, you'll get put where you belong, which will be 1k if you're a brand new player. This guy is. Not sure what your point is really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom