• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

Yes, and you can have to grind your MMR all the way up in both ranked and unranked or you can do it once in unranked and then calibrate high in ranked.

So...then what of the point of doing it without seeing a number when you can do it with seeing a number?

It's going to take forever either way, you might as well do it where you can actually see some kind of metric of improvement.

Haunted

I've played 600 hours of Dota 2 and have 15 ranked matches logged.

I've played my first ranked match a year after I started playing.

I disagree

If you have ever played an RTS in your life you should get at least 2.5K plus
I don't think that's correct. I'm living proof!

G.ZZZ

I'd still really recommend against finishing your ranked calibration at this point. You're going to end up getting ranked at 1k or whatever and it will take forever to climb. You're much better off practicing in unranked and calibrating at a higher level in ranked when you're ready.

Ranked MMR is still based on Unranked MMR so it's pretty much the same thing, with the difference that's it's probably slightly easier to climb unranked because you can play dumb and less people care.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Don't listen to Hylian he has played 7000 games and still isn't 4k.

Improve a lot in unranked so you don't have to grind imo
I disagree

And watched some dota.

I calibrated at 3300 thanks to Earth Spirit :Keepo:

Hylian7

Don't listen to Hylian he has played 7000 games and still isn't 4k.

Improve a lot in unranked so you don't have to grind imo

And watched some dota.

I calibrated at 3300 thanks to Earth Spirit :Keepo:

But you're still grinding in unranked, you just don't see the number....

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Ranked MMR is still based on Unranked MMR so it's pretty much the same thing, with the difference that's it's probably slightly easier to climb unranked because you can play dumb and less people care.

So...then what of the point of doing it without seeing a number when you can do it with seeing a number?

It's going to take forever either way, you might as well do it where you can actually see some kind of metric of improvement.

Because as I said, you will have to grind twice if you do Ranked early. As soon as you calibrate the two ratings are separated and neither influences the other. Unranked does not improve when your Ranked does. If you raise your unranked MMR prior to calibrating, you will start high there too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
But you're still grinding in unranked, you just don't see the number....
Put on your thinking cap. One of these is not like the other.

Getting better at the game is not the same as going up in fixed MMR that goes up and down based on W/L

Haunted

Someone said in the other thread the only way he could imagine someone spending 2500 hours on Dota 2 would be if they're a pro player.

so many pros in this thread

Big Dog

Matt you should tell tournaments that they need to cover the minimap during pauses. Saw someone recommend that on Reddit and it seems like a good idea. Hopefully that would deter anyone from honestly trying to cheat (I believe Arteezy had no reason to cheat, was just chatting for fun). But a minimap cover would really limit the info a cheating team may get out of a paused stream.

Hylian7

Put on your thinking cap. One of these is not like the other.

Getting better at the game is not the same as going up in fixed MMR that goes up and down based on W/L

But it does in unranked too technically, you have a hidden MMR in unranked. Valve has explained this.

Pratfall

I think the biggest argument for getting better in unranked is that you can play fun modes like Random Draft and you don't have to play All Pick. Random draft is so much better for expanding your hero pool and getting comfortable in different roles imo.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I disagree

ibqjhKnFooIdzi.gif

bounchfx

I want the new PA set, I have the axe set from the last chest if anyone wants to trade.

also, great news that there will be more, theres still a ton of amazing sets that haven't gotten in yet, like spectre, mirana, lina, ember, jugg
tidehunter, lone druid
, also I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen goatbringer in yet.

G.ZZZ

Someone said in the other thread the only way he could imagine someone spending 2500 hours on Dota 2 would be if they're a pro player.

so many pros in this thread

I have 4300 games and i sucks. Plus i think about as much in dota 1. Being old sucks.

I disagree

yeah cause playing starcraft for a year will make sure you know all heroes, items, comboes, builds, dota mechanics, and the meta.
the actual gameplay of dota is not that complicated. click where you want to go, cast spells, buy/use items.. that's no rocket science, and that's all you know to do when coming from a RTS

Also reddit getting kicked in the nuts by arteezy lmao

Strider

Yes, you'll get put where you belong, which will be 1k if you're a brand new player. This guy is. Not sure what your point is really.

This. I wish I had never gone ranked. I've consistently improved and my mmr has raised a good bit since starting ranked, but whenever I feel like queuing for unranked now I get reminded my hidden mmr is so ridiculously low... it's not even fun to play unranked in that bracket.

I disagree

Definitely not true. For one I'm an example of that.. but in general 2.5k plus is not good but in the overall scheme of things including all players of dota, even casual, a (slightly) above average player and usually they have played a whole lot of matches. I mean even at my mmr of 2.4k or whatever most of the players in my games have 4-6 times the amount of experience I do. Sure there's certain players that have a knack for games like this or moba experience prior but no way does just anyone with rts experience come in and easily get 2.5k+ if they calibrate as soon as it's available.

Big Dog

10/10 response post by Dota Pit in the Reddit thread. They clearly state that they have the option to punish players/ teams in different ways, provide reasons why the situation cannot be compared to UG, and point out otherwise good sportsmanship that Secret has shown. Here is the response!

So if a team wants to cheat they just log out of twitch. Nobody will ever figure this out.

True. But that is also why a nice recommendation for streams is to cover the minimap during pauses in the future. Hopefully something like that could deter players from cheating or at least provide them with less information to try and gain an advantage.

Quesa

I got selected for mmr buddy

should i got to ranked now or that still a shitfest

Also I figured out how to get around my moral issue with that disruptor set

if i get ill just buy an anuxi set off the market as well with the money I make from selling it

nvm

This PL set is really nice.

Like I'd put it at the the top of my best cosmetic list. Really one of the few sets that takes PL as a fisherman and runs with it and it works really well. It especially looks amazing with the beard and MKB items, with the new set belt and bracers and literally Sun Wukong.

The Super Sayan Wraith King set is too ridiculous to not love as well.

Because as I said, you will have to grind twice if you do Ranked early. As soon as you calibrate the two ratings are separated and neither influences the other. Unranked does not improve when your Ranked does. If you raise your unranked MMR prior to calibrating, you will start high there too.

Why does it matter if your unranked is high too? Unranked is just for goofing anyway.

Acinixys

I would first like to say that i retract my previous opinion. My first ranked game was WAY later than I though. I had already played 1200 or so games and calibrated at 3.6K

Why does it matter if your unranked is high too? Unranked is just for goofing anyway.

Before you get your ranked MMR, your unranked and ranked are though to be closely linked

So if you play a whole bunch of unranked and improve a lot, your ranked MMR will be much higher when you start playing ranked

Haunted

I don't know why but I am so terrible on Sniper, 14% winrate is real
I have a 11% winrate as Ember Spirit (9 games), get on my level.

On that note, what's the generally accepted minimum amount of games played with a hero before the sample size is big enough for me to brag/whine about the winrate?

So if Reddit complains these perfectly normal, highly rated, nice (if not mediocre at worst) sets are added, when a really awful set is added, Valve will have less proper feedback on whether to add it or not.

But they can't realize that through their seething rage for all things cosmetic.

Carlius

Banned
whats with the new treasure? i am trying to buy 30 dollars worh of keys, i got to 4 and then the treasure disappeared. i cant ind it anymore

Baha

I've got a couple of sets from YB games that I wanna trade:

e0SDB9O.jpg

The centaur sets are Conquering Tyrant & Warrior of the Steppe, the sand king sets are Qaldin and Caustic Consumption. The doom set is the eleven curses one.

So if Reddit complains these perfectly normal, highly rated, nice (if not mediocre at worst) sets are added, when a really awful set is added, Valve will have less proper feedback on whether to add it or not.

But they can't realize that through their seething rage for all things cosmetic.

It's Valve's fault for listening to some of the shit they say. Using it to fix bugs: okay, anything else: garbage.

Vade

I've got a couple of sets from YB games that I wanna trade:

e0SDB9O.jpg

The centaur sets are Conquering Tyrant & Warrior of the Steppe, the sand king sets are Qaldin and Caustic Consumption. The doom set is the eleven curses one.

What are the drow sets you have? Paging Dreams for identification

Manus

Axe in our game just went 4th item Blink Dagger. Gotta get dat Vanguard, Hood and Blademail first.

Had an Axe in a solo pup game go vanguard, S&Y, Linkins into heart and completely destroyed the other team. No blink in sight. I questioned it at first but after his 15th kill I shut up. Would like to try the build out one time. The speed bonus from battle hunger was crazy.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
where the fuck is my avatar of the year beast juggernaut set?? that was the best set of the bunch but they add the dumbass wraith king one instead

bounchfx

where the fuck is my avatar of the year beast juggernaut set?? that was the best set of the bunch but they add the dumbass wraith king one instead

Patience....

Is this Nexon chest going to be sold for public consumption or will I have to pay absurds amount of money for that Abaddon set because of stupid regional differences?

It better be sold for public consumption because that was one of the things we agreed to when they asked for our pudge set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom