• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

ok I'm an idiot
whats PRM farming?

Phase Boots, Ring of Aquila, Mask of Madness. The concept is to have enough sustain to jungle all game. More or less.

Started playing ranked games again after maybe a year long break? Nobody supports. It's awful. Nobody is willing to buy wards, compared to normal this is way worse.

Valve needs to incentivise support in a much bigger way imo.

There is a very easy way to do this

Make the end of game score board have more information on it

Wards Purchased/Wards Placed/Hero Healing Done etc

Will instantly make supporting more enjoyable. At the moment the score board is retarded and has almost no relevant info on it.

Or give assist gold to the support if an ennemy is killed in the vision of one of your wards.

Skill build:
1. Invis, for warding and romaing
2. Backstab
3. Backstab
4. Smoke
5. Backstab
6. Blink Strike
7. Backstab
8. Invis, for extra health regen and roaming strength in midgame
9 onwards. Max cloud, ulti, and invis in this priority

Why wouldn't you max cloud earlier ? This skill is strong as fuck and you're not gonna get crazy levels if you only roam.

Maybe the scaling is more interesting early game:
- smoke costs slightly more mana with levels, for a slight increase in miss rate and smoke radius. The duration is constant.
- backstab damage increases a lot with levels

Plus when you use the smoke, people will try to evade the smoke anyway, so the miss rate is irrelevant early game.

xCIlQzW.png

The 2nd point in invisibility at level 8 makes it so that the fade time is exactly the smoke duration. I would think it would be more interesting to get it earlier.

Synderens stream is so good. He actually answers questions, gives insight into what he is doing and is polite all the time. Other streamers should act more like him

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Great guide milk.

Almost as good as the PRM guide.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
PRM
facepalm.gif

Whole lotta words with nothing to say.

Zoon

I'm close to perfecting my jungling sniper build
vs bots
.Keep killing the medium camp while stacking both big camps with shrapnel.Get lifesteal and start killing the big camps.3-1-1 build for now.Had mom+aquila+phase ~13 mins and I missed a lot of stacks.

shira

er7vU4K.jpg

Bask in the glory of the support Riki!

I firmly believe that Riki is better as a support than as a carry or offlaner.

Basic item build:
-Start with Boots + Wards or Courier
-Priority purchase: Orb of Venom
-Optional purchase: Poor Man's Shield
-Priority purchase: Phase Boots
-Priority purchase: Eul's Scepter

This is your basic core and enables permanent roaming across the map with health and mana regen from invis passive and eul's. You can easily set up ganks with eul's -> smoke cloud. This combo does not break your invis, so you can force people to pop dusts just by doing this and running away.

Smoke is insanely good for countering popular heroes like Axe -- they love initiating in and calling someone, but if you smoke bomb your teammate as a fight starts, it prevents any initiator from blinking on top of your team and disabling them. It's low cooldown, massive aoe, excellent slow, long-lasting silence, and great miss chance.

Bonus items:
-Rod of Atos: for the extra boost in health, trapping enemies in your smoke clouds for even longer, and for being annoying across the map
-SnY: for when your roaming has gone exceptionally well and you can transition to a semi-carry
-Blink: to make you impossible to catch
-Gem: you are an awesome gem carrier as this will both prevent you from walking into sentries and make you a mobile invisible ward-spotting machine

Skill build:
2. Backstab
3. Backstab
4. Smoke
5. Backstab
6. Blink Strike
7. Backstab

Your job is to cause mass chaos around the map. Hunt junglers, leech their xp, and make carries and mids upset by backstabbing them. You can solo kill enemy supports with boots and orb of venom; backstab does absurd amounts of damage with no agi items early. When midgame rolls around, you will initiate and counter-initiate via smoke and euls.

Remember that Riki does not have hard disables, so it's important that your team have some sort of stuns or slows to follow up your smoke clouds.

When do you usually start roaming? 2m rune?
Skill build:
tried to pull creeps as Riki
facepalm.gif

Question about the support Riki: How are you getting early levels? Especially getting to level 2 without there being an enemy jungler? Leech xp in lane? Pull? I can't imagine you can get a lot done(that actually gets you xp) with just invis.

I do feel like it's great to get the first bounty rune on him if you can, level 1 Riki is pretty useless combat wise.

Wok

Question about the support Riki: How are you getting early levels? Especially getting to level 2 without there being an enemy jungler? Leech xp in lane? Pull? I can't imagine you can get a lot done(that actually gets you xp) with just invis.

I do feel like it's great to get the first bounty rune on him if you can, level 1 Riki is pretty useless combat wise.

I soaked xp from BB offlaner. Legit build.

qUW46zG.png

Especially against counterpickers.

7q0JHNO.png

So much vision.

69GWcb7.png

DrPizza

Banned
er7vU4K.jpg

Bask in the glory of the support Riki!

I firmly believe that Riki is better as a support than as a carry or offlaner.

Basic item build:
-Start with Boots + Wards or Courier
-Priority purchase: Orb of Venom
-Optional purchase: Poor Man's Shield
-Priority purchase: Phase Boots
-Priority purchase: Eul's Scepter

This is your basic core and enables permanent roaming across the map with health and mana regen from invis passive and eul's. You can easily set up ganks with eul's -> smoke cloud. This combo does not break your invis, so you can force people to pop dusts just by doing this and running away.

Smoke is insanely good for countering popular heroes like Axe -- they love initiating in and calling someone, but if you smoke bomb your teammate as a fight starts, it prevents any initiator from blinking on top of your team and disabling them. It's low cooldown, massive aoe, excellent slow, long-lasting silence, and great miss chance.

Bonus items:
-Rod of Atos: for the extra boost in health, trapping enemies in your smoke clouds for even longer, and for being annoying across the map
-SnY: for when your roaming has gone exceptionally well and you can transition to a semi-carry
-Blink: to make you impossible to catch
-Gem: you are an awesome gem carrier as this will both prevent you from walking into sentries and make you a mobile invisible ward-spotting machine

Skill build:
2. Backstab
3. Backstab
4. Smoke
5. Backstab
6. Blink Strike
7. Backstab

Your job is to cause mass chaos around the map. Hunt junglers, leech their xp, and make carries and mids upset by backstabbing them. You can solo kill enemy supports with boots and orb of venom; backstab does absurd amounts of damage with no agi items early. When midgame rolls around, you will initiate and counter-initiate via smoke and euls.

Remember that Riki does not have hard disables, so it's important that your team have some sort of stuns or slows to follow up your smoke clouds.
Hm. Diffusal doesn't cost tremendously more than Atos (50 gold difference!). It gives you a comparable slow on a shorter cooldown with no mana cost, and it synergizes much better with backstab (which is arguably one of the strongest steroid skills in the game--as long as you're behind people, it's better than a permanent DD). Diffusal also gives the option of using the Euls offensively while still letting you remove dust from yourself. Also has a slightly easier build up due to not needing any pesky secret shop items.

The downside is that it's shorter range, charge-based, and gives no HP, but I feel Riki depends more on invis regen than raw HP.
dac15_fade.gif

Why is the dota community so toxic sometimes?

We won a game, admittedly massively carried by our storm, but the enemy team decided to deride the rest of our team as useless. Because I was playing wyvern, an apparently easy hero, my contributions or anyone else's on the team didn't count. Never mind that it's impossible to win this game solo, or that I was warding all game, no SS won it on his own.

Fuck this game pisses me off sometimes, and even when we win. Douchebags... Douchebags everywhere.

Why is the dota community so toxic sometimes?

We won a game, admittedly massively carried by our storm, but the enemy team decided to deride the rest of our team as useless. Because I was playing wyvern, an apparently easy hero, my contributions or anyone else's on the team didn't count. Never mind that it's impossible to win this game solo, or that I was warding all game, no SS won it on his own.

Fuck this game pisses me off sometimes, and even when we win. Douchebags... Douchebags everywhere.

If you're going to get mad at that prepare to get mad a lot, that's really mild. People can be toxic, it isn't Dota that turns them toxic, it just amplifies it.

I've been playing dota for a long time but for some reason this got to me. Probably because they targeted me specifically (admittedly after I was trying to defend the team effort) and I did not do bad in the game. If I had I would understand why they felt the way they did but it was almost as if no matter how well I did I would have been derided.

Moral of the story is not to engage trolls methinks.

Mordeccai

GG ez game always gets a laugh out of me, even if I'm on the losing side.

Lately though. I get people typing izi. Iziiii game. And that. That shit makes my blood boil because they are tainting the EZ lyfe, and trying too hard to be original. How the hell does eye zee remotely translate to easy. And as a person who has studied espagnol and understands it, they may as well be typing yzy if they are going for same sound, different spelling.

Fuckin guys can take their izi bullshit and stuff it.

Dreavus

I don't know if it's toxic behaviour or not, but sometimes my friend will say "gg guys, very nice comeback wp" when we get stomped from the beginning. It's fun to count how many of them say some version of "comeback?" or try to insult us.

It's usually reserved for trash talkers though.

I'm still curious what started the "gg ez" trend you see so much lately.

Only thing I can think of is that "EZ game EZ life" streamer guy that was notorious (?) for a while.

It's gotta be from waaaaay before that though.

Claiming how little effort it took to defeat an opponent is probably as old as time.

DrPizza

Banned
GG ez game always gets a laugh out of me, even if I'm on the losing side.

Lately though. I get people typing izi. Iziiii game. And that. That shit makes my blood boil because they are tainting the EZ lyfe, and trying too hard to be original. How the hell does eye zee remotely translate to easy. And as a person who has studied espagnol and understands it, they may as well be typing yzy if they are going for same sound, different spelling.

Fuckin guys can take their izi bullshit and stuff it.

Agreed.

I'm all for "ez game ez life ez mines ez rares" at the end, especially if you came back from losing all 3 lanes at the start and won out against megacreeps, but for fuck's sake, at least spell "ez" properly.

techies.gif

I also say "close game" when we get absolutely destroyed.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't know if it's toxic behaviour or not, but sometimes my friend will say "gg guys, very nice comeback wp" when we get stomped from the beginning. It's fun to count how many of them say some version of "comeback?" or try to insult us.

i reserve this kind of thing for when someone's stomping me and being a dick about it

'gg wp, close match!' or whatever

Yeah in regards to support Riki I think Diffusal is probably a better choice and Atos should be the "I really need the extra HP because they have five burst damage heroes" option. That's just me though.

However Atos' cast range is double Diffusal's. That is also worth noting.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've run support Riki once or twice and feel its pretty strong tbh if the lanes permit it.
I do the max backstab build as well because just flat out killing people once you have 7 is basically garunteed.

Maybe going Euls -> Eth Blade is the way to do it.

Wok

Yeah in regards to support Riki I think Diffusal is probably a better choice and Atos should be the "I really need the extra HP because they have five burst damage heroes" option. That's just me though.

Atos is funnier.

Risible

I love to support, buy MAN is it a thankless task. Rare is the game where people are appreciative of it. You spend the game saving money to buy wards, deferring your own items, and the minute the wards run out you've got people up your ass going "Where are the wards?!"

People look at your score and say "Oh lol Wyvern did nothing all game!" Except slow enemies for you to kill. Or ward all game. Or heal you. Or not take your last hits. Or not last hit heroes so that you get the kill. And so on and so forth.

Nothing worse than spending all game supporting and then the guy with the most kills at the end goes "All me, baby." Yeah, ok.

DrPizza

Banned

That's not nothing, but since cloud's range is short anyway, you need Riki to be on top of the enemy, so blink-diffusal isn't really worse off than atos + blink (in either order).

kvk1

I love to support, buy MAN is it a thankless task. Rare is the game where people are appreciative of it. You spend the game saving money to buy wards, deferring your own items, and the minute the wards run out you've got people up your ass going "Where are the wards?!"

People look at your score and say "Oh lol Wyvern did nothing all game!" Except slow enemies for you to kill. Or ward all game. Or heal you. Or not take your last hits. Or not last hit heroes so that you get the kill. And so on and so forth.

Nothing worse than spending all game supporting and then the guy with the most kills at the end goes "All me, baby." Yeah, ok.

People who don't realize to what magnitude this really is a team game are the people whose admiration you really shouldn't care about.

At any rate, the W for your team at the end of the game is thanks enough.

All other analysis of minutiae is usually just faffing.

This is why you should ks

Edit: buff idea for DK, Dragon form always lasts full duration, even through aegis and death. So if you die with 20 sec left on Dragon form, you respawn with 20 sec left no matter how long you were dead for. Same thing with Sylla, bear cd resets after death. OP or not?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

pretty much

shira

Wonder how people still bet or even support betting when you see all these fucking DDOS that've been going on for a while now
It's fun to bet junk rares when you see obvious games but the market is pretty strong now. Bitcoin back above $250. It's srs bsns

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I got complimented for carrying my team once as CM.

Teehee

DrPizza

Banned
This is why you should ks

Edit: buff idea for DK, Dragon form always lasts full duration, even through aegis and death. So if you die with 20 sec left on Dragon form, you respawn with 20 sec left no matter how long you were dead for. Same thing with Sylla, bear cd resets after death. OP or not?

Being able to tactically die and buyback to get a third bear in the fight?

I could maybe see that. God knows, Druid needs something. Though I think an Aghanim upgrade that either let the bear use stat items, or shared damage between bear and druid (which I think was once how it worked in the WC3 days/) would be less controversial.

It's such a shame, as he has some of the best cosmetics (the red panda is awesome), but he's garbage as a hero right now.

Hylian7

Being able to tactically die and buyback to get a third bear in the fight?

I could maybe see that. God knows, Druid needs something. Though I think an Aghanim upgrade that either let the bear use stat items, or shared damage between bear and druid (which I think was once how it worked in the WC3 days/) would be less controversial.

It's such a shame, as he has some of the best cosmetics (the red panda is awesome), but he's garbage as a hero right now.

I honestly think something with the bear CD would be nice, buying back as LD really sucks if you recently resummoned, as there is almost no point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom