• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I does make sense when you get paired with players with "only" 100 hours of play time.

That's just going to happen bro. People have smurfs n shit. Matchmaking has to continually adjust based on the results of newer accounts, and I'd assume the system is a bit more volitale in figuring out their proper MMRs for awhile with younger accounts.

The solution here would be to make Ranked play unavailable for new accounts until they reach a certain level or a certain total of games played and I believe that's the case now. League of Legends does this by requiring people reach level 30 before being able to queue for Ranked. That's...idunno. Maybe 20-25 hours of play logged + 10 placement matches. So maybe Doto could raise the rank requirement to play ranked if people feel it's too low.

That said...it may disappoint you, but those people with "only 100 hours" are showing results consistently enough to pair them in a match with you. Best thing to keep in mind when trying to find reasons to believe that you're actually better than the people you're being matched with is this: there is a big pool of heroes in Dota 2. Like, more than 100. You're not good at all 100 of those heroes...and neither are the people you're being matched with. There are tens of thousands of potential friendly and enemy team comps...you haven't seen all of them and neither have they.

Often times in matches you see people get their asses kicked in, they selected a hero they have little experience on relative to other heroes in their pool. They may have reached your level of MMR playing Slark and Tidehunter exclusively. But in this match they decided or were forced to play someone they were less comfortable and experienced with. Like Lone Druid or Chen. They may be 4K MMR with Slark...but they're Potato MMR with Lone Druid. You got the Potato experience from them instead of the 4K experience.

Other times, people just aren't in the mood to play (mad about life, had a bad match the game before, GF didn't suck their dick today, whatever) and queue up anyway and play on tilt and just can't get out of their funk. You've done it too, you just didn't realize it. They get rolled over and you proclaim you're better than them. But then you check their history and see they actually tend to kick a lot of ass with that hero; they just had a bad game. Shit happens.

Point is, assuming someone's hours of play is indicative of their future performance is a poor way to analyze someone's potential. The real question is whether they're able to play one of their best heroes or not, whether your comp has enough lockdown and team fight, and how the team plays around their picks. You can bet your ass you stomped teams with some of those same guys/gals with "only 100 hours". And some of those Peruvians and Russians. You just didn't check their profiles because you weren't looking for justification for your anger.

Hylian7

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1300105382

idk maybe, im going to go watch the replay and ill edit with the timestamp

edit; one happens around 31:35, and theres one before that as well.

I believe you.

I think what's happening actually is that the debuff of smoke isn't actually applied until you are on the ground, and there is a "lag time" for checking who's in the smoke radius for debuff.

It's like how for instance, if Alchemist Acid Sprays right on top of you as Puck, and you Phase Shift, if you are facing the direction you do it, you can blink immediately after you come out of phase shift.

What is this, communication? A full dota 2 blog about bugfixing.

http://blog.dota2.com/2015/03/various-pathfinding-fixes/

lmao they broke spectre, haunt illusion cant move. happening on RTZ's stream now even. RIP

they're learning.

I believe you.

I think what's happening actually is that the debuff of smoke isn't actually applied until you are on the ground, and there is a "lag time" for checking who's in the smoke radius for debuff.

It's like how for instance, if Alchemist Acid Sprays right on top of you as Puck, and you Phase Shift, if you are facing the direction you do it, you can blink immediately after you come out of phase shift.

Put that on the list of things Valve should fix. I don't think that interaction should be possible. Not with Smoke. That's bullshit.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
These guys picked Sniper, Troll and Slark and still couldn't win.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1300112741

We also made them fail their predictions for their items, which felt extra good.

Question: Can maelstrom/Mjolnir lightning procs hit you when you're in fog? I swear I was fogged and not shrapnel'd many times but lightning would proc to me and disable my blink. This is one of the most ineffective Shaker games I've ever played because my dagger was 100% useless.

G.ZZZ

Jesus the Blink bug was huge, especially with axe/slardar and initiators in general. So many times where i casted call before blink fucking shit.

Well that's what they get for drafting no team fight outside of Enigma.

You also casually forgot to mention that your team picked Jugg.

'Scust

Jesus the Blink bug was huge, especially with axe/slardar and initiators in general. So many times where i casted call before blink fucking shit.

Agree. Also fucked up more than a few Tide initiations too.

Tieske

Neo Member
Well you can also BKB/rage/bladefury out of euls ice path which is also mega bullshit, even if intended

Is this related to the arrangement of heros on the scoreboard? There are some bugs/weird interactions when it comes to that like Zeus ult

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
that blink dagger bug explains a lot. i'm pretty sure it's responsible for that time i failed to blink into the middle of their team before i used echo slam as earthshaker. and all those times i accidentally cast laguna blade on a creep.

I was thinking that Sven could really use a buff for Warcry, I mean when compared against other escape/gank abilities like Windrun it just looks like a sad joke (100% evasion, 50% speed and on top of it the slowdown on any nearby enemies) maybe make it so that any incoming physical damage is halted by a certain % number or something, I feel like it could make the hero more viable without changing his mechanics too much.

Also thanks a lot JC Sera for the mount, just checked it a few mins earlier :p

TUSR

Banned
that blink dagger bug explains a lot. i'm pretty sure it's responsible for that time i failed to blink into the middle of their team before i used echo slam as earthshaker. and all those times i accidentally cast laguna blade on a creep.

but laguna is targeted

that article is so detailed it feels like a troll post to all the naysayers shitting on valve's communication lmao

Good they fixed it, I'm sure I fucked one RP or two because of it

NBtoaster

I does make sense when you get paired with players with "only" 100 hours of play time.

MAYBE, if Valve consider not only the ranking but also the time you have played, the teams would be more balanced.

Time played is already a factor in matchmaking.

I'm trying to learn to use armlet properly and finding it a bit hard. It seems like a good item for bursting down single targets but I find there are a lot of drawn out teamfights where you get kited a lot and the degen really adds up and maybe they have a bunch of DoT spells that are difficult to toggle against. On heroes like Slardar and CK I'm also not sure what the alternative item choices are, like say against an AA where armlet is really bad. I sort of feel the item could use a buff since a lot of armlet heroes are not that good just now.

Hylian7

I'm not a fan of armlet right now. Toggling feels so much harder with it, and I am not good with it, therefore I avoid armlet.

JC Sera

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1300112741

We also made them fail their predictions for their items, which felt extra good.

Question: Can maelstrom/Mjolnir lightning procs hit you when you're in fog? I swear I was fogged and not shrapnel'd many times but lightning would proc to me and disable my blink. This is one of the most ineffective Shaker games I've ever played because my dagger was 100% useless.
I know it can hit you invis at least

DrPizza

Banned

Yep, pretty sure that explains every time I Doomed a creep.

DrPizza

Banned
Isn't this smoke cloud the same old load order/left to right thing that also causes annoying interactions with things like Zeus Ult and Pudge's rot?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Storm can ball out of glimpse/euls into Static Field.

It's infuriating.

Haly

Every hero should have blink to start. But only once you level your account to 30.

Qvoth

34040b5867.jpg

jesus christ ppd, not even ixmike is this bad

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
that doesnt even make any sense

I do think a yearly ladder reset would be nice, where you MMR just becomes the higher of your unranked or ranked MMR, since people who play a lot of Unranked can have a large diffidence between the two

Chris R

I do think a yearly ladder reset would be nice, where you MMR just becomes the higher of your unranked or ranked MMR, since people who play a lot of Unranked can have a large diffidence between the two

Eh yearly is a bit much. Reset the ladder each quarter.

Haly

Reset it each month.

The first day of every month will be smurf day and I can get free wins doing the stupidest shit.

A year is just such a long time.

Merlini tony :eek:

It can take quite awhile to move up tiers. How long does it take the average player to go from 3K to 4K? Can take awhile. It's a window that gives people enough time to peck at it, even if they can't play like 7 matches a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom