• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

i don't find slacks very offensive when he's not meming. At least he actually thinks about dota unlike someone like LD, who just repeats what every one else says and tells me exactly what i just saw, something I already know.

Seriously, pure play-by-play casters are useless.
hm slark would have had a harder time getting that kill without echo.

Quesa

i don't find slacks very offensive when he's not meming. At least he actually thinks about dota unlike someone like LD, who just repeats what every one else says and tells me exactly what i just saw, something I already know.

Seriously, pure play-by-play casters are useless.
some of us have to listen to the broadcast instead of watching it while we work

Anybody who has had problems with Slark ever since they changed his ult to make him undetectable? He's been one of the heroes I've had shit winrates against forever. And he's gotten better this patch. Unless I pick shit that is insanely good against him like AM, LC or Doom, I clearly lose more often than not solely due to him being unkillable at some point. I absolutely have to counterpick him every time I see him unless the Slark player has a public acc with poor MMR.

It's probably a matter of my favourite heroes not being so great against him. Can't pick Sven into him at all. :/

Qvoth

slacks' voice is so damn weird
he can keep up his act, but he should speak like a normal person
wtzgU.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
trapping a boar next to a pillar and attacking it over and over again while it stands there defenseless

i'm sure that if u told someone that millions of people thought this game is the pinnacle of the nascent artform that is videogames they would literally never stop laughing

kionedrik

I still don't know if echo sabre is really worth building on slark. his itemization is flexible enough that it definitely works, but i still feel like, relative to other options, it kinda limits your transition in to hypercarry, lategame mode.

Twice the essence shift theft in the mid game seems like a very good thing although it can be awkward to fit it in an item build, especially if you go super greedy an get a Midas.
Generally, it is always preferable to get stat items on him.

trapping a boar next to a pillar and attacking it over and over again while it stands there defenseless

i'm sure that if u told someone that millions of people thought this game is the pinnacle of the nascent artform that is videogames they would literally never stop laughing

No one ever said you shouldn't take any help you can find. It's not a matter of "you need to do it" it's a matter of "you can do it", and providing options is never not a good thing.

Twice the essence shift theft in the mid game seems like a very good thing although it can be awkward to fit it in an item build, especially if you go super greedy an get a Midas.
Generally, it is always preferable to get stat items on him.
isn't it twice the essence shift every 5 seconds, though? Assault Cuirass or Mjollnir is better if you want stacks.

And yeah, I agree it's awkward as fuck with a midas. Shocked that worked out.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
another time i ran past them and one of the boars got stuck in the ceiling so i couldn't light the bonfire

kionedrik

isn't it twice the essence shift every 5 seconds, though? Assault Cuirass or Mjollnir is better if you want stacks.

And yeah, I agree it's awkward as fuck with a midas. Shocked that worked out.

I haven't tried it so I can't be sure but I imagine you'd get twice the essence shift every time the saber proc'ed. It doesn't seem optimal tbh and I'd much rather get SnY, Manta or Silver Edge instead of it.
AC and Mjollnir aren't near the price range of echo saber nor are they supposed to be built at that stage of the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Echo Sabre is for heroes that do big damage per swing. Sven, PA, maybe CK, stuff like that.

Not to proc Essence Shift more. Pure attack speed is better for that.

I haven't tried it so I can't be sure but I imagine you'd get twice the essence shift every time the saber proc'ed. It doesn't seem optimal tbh and I'd much rather get SnY, Manta or Silver Edge instead of it.
AC and Mjollnir aren't near the price range of echo saber nor are they supposed to be built at that stage of the game.

No, but my post was referring to gimping your late game as Slark. Echo Sabre doesn't build in to anything, and gives you basically nothing as a slark past 35 minutes or so. At that point, you could absolutely have an AC or a Mjollnir, and you'd be in a much better place in terms of late game, even if you don't have an SnY or something. (say, Skadi/SnY/Echo vs AC/Skadi)
Attack out of silveredge or blink. Get the free attacks then pounce. Pounce is off and echo is back up. Mana Regen means you aren't oom now too
that isn't what slark is meant to do past early mid game, though. If you pick slark, you need to be planning to transition to a late game hypercarry, because otherwise you fucked up picking slark. If you're sitting on silver edge + echo sabre, you can pick off supports, sure, but you're going to have to avoid any fight with enemy agi carries and most offlaners/mids due to lack of sustained damage and insufficient bulk. The items stats don't make up for it.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Attack out of silveredge or blink. Get the free attacks then pounce. Pounce is off and echo is back up. Mana Regen means you aren't oom now too

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Echo Sabre will be supremely awesome when it builds into a new (or current) luxury item in a patch or two.

For now though it's a really nice stat stick for a lot of hard hitting but slow attacking STR cores (Sven, Tiny, WK, CK, etc...). One of the few agi heroes I like it on right now is Troll because the item still gives 30 attack speed, a nice stat spread, is dirt cheap, and also gets those fervor stacks revved up with a second chance of a first hit bash to boot.

Echo Sabre will be supremely awesome when it builds into a new (or current) luxury item in a patch or two.

For now though it's a really nice stat stick for a lot of hard hitting but slow attacking STR cores (Sven, Tiny, WK, CK, etc...). One of the few agi heroes I like it on right now is Troll because the item still gives 30 attack speed, a nice stat spread, is dirt cheap, and also gets those fervor stacks revved up with a second chance of a first hit bash.
I think, in general, it's way better on strength heroes than agility heroes.

In total agreement that once it builds in to something it will be super strong.

Low Tier
? echo sabre is good on slark

not only does slark love essence shift, but the stats on the item are not to be overlooked. With shadowblade being a better choice than blink now, the mana regen on echo sabre along with the base hp gives him a lot for his kit. He's no longer looking for that sny or drums for hp, so echo sabre helps fill his stat needs.

dont just ignore an item's stats when you're arguing its usefulness honestly.

kionedrik

No, but my post was referring to gimping your late game as Slark. Echo Sabre doesn't build in to anything, and gives you basically nothing as a slark past 35 minutes or so. At that point, you could absolutely have an AC or a Mjollnir, and you'd be in a much better place in terms of late game, even if you don't have an SnY or something. (say, Skadi/SnY/Echo vs AC/Skadi)

that isn't what slark is meant to do past early mid game, though. If you pick slark, you need to be planning to transition to a late game hypercarry, because otherwise you fucked up picking slark. If you're sitting on silver edge + echo sabre, you can pick off supports, sure, but you're going to have to avoid any fight with enemy agi carries and most offlaners/mids due to lack of sustained damage and insufficient bulk. The items stats don't make up for it.

The point of Echo Sabre on Slark is to snowball. If you get it an passively farm then yeah, your late game will be shit because you threw away your early game gold on something you didn't use. If you use it, with shadow blade or blink, to find solo pick-offs then you made a return on your investment.
The item also has synergy with one of his skills (essence shift) but that's not the only thing you should be looking at. The item stats are also very beneficial on a stat starved hero like Slark.

And I'll be honest, I find AC and Mjollnir horrible items to get on Slark.

The point of Echo Sabre on Slark is to snowball. If you get it an passively farm then yeah, your late game will be shit because you threw away your early game gold on something you didn't use. If you use it, with shadow blade or blink, to find solo pick-offs then you made a return on your investment.
The item also has synergy with one of his skills (essence shift) but that's not the only thing you should be looking at. The item stats are also very beneficial on a stat starved hero like Slark.
Well that's my bias since I am of the mind that doing anything but farming and rotating in to advantageous fights is a mistake with slark. I will hold on to my belief that if you're building items that don't get you to the late game asap you should've picked someone else. That said, if you build echo sabre as a replacement to SnY, yeah I think it works. I don't think it's good, as I've said, and it definitely isn't core, but it's certainly viable. But then again, I never said otherwise.
And I'll be honest, I find AC and Mjollnir horrible items to get on Slark.
Yes, we've discussed this. If you're going to take an item for stacking essence shift though, outside of raw agility, AC and Mjollnir are clearly the best choices, as moonshard is far too one-dimensional.

Kopite

Finally hit 2K after a cray winning streak.

No one in my games buy tomes, and they only use scan on the rosh pit...

kionedrik

Well that's my bias since I am of the mind that doing anything but farming and rotating in to advantageous fights is a mistake with slark. I will hold on to my belief that if you're building items that don't get you to the late game asap you should've picked someone else. That said, if you build echo sabre as a replacement to SnY, yeah I think it works. I don't think it's good, as I've said, and it definitely isn't core, but it's certainly viable. But then again, I never said otherwise.

Yes, we've discussed this. If you're going to take an item for stacking essence shift though, outside of raw agility, AC and Mjollnir are clearly the best choices, as moonshard is far too one-dimensional.

I think building pure attack speed and damage on Slark is a mistake, hence why I don't like AC or Mjollnir except in very particular situations. AS is only really an issue in the later stages of the game because earlier most of your damage is magic.

I don't imagine ES as a replacement of anything but rather as something else you can get that has a great impact in the early-to-mid game. Will it delay your core late game items? Possibly, depends on what you do with it, but bee-lining straight to those items is rarely a good idea because your muting the impact the hero can have in the earlier stages of the game.

edit:
Here's my typical Slark build (I'll put * next to non-core or situational items)
1 - Midas*
2 - Treads
3 - Aquila
4 - SB/SE*
5 - Yasha* (if going Manta)
6 - Skadi
7 - Manta*
6 - Basher
8 - MKB or Butterfly

BKB or Linkens somewhere in the middle of those. Greatly depends on the enemy line-up.

If I was buying an ES I'd probably fit it in position 3 or 4, right before or after SB depending on who I was facing.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
hey valve it's cool that u let me vote for mvp after each manila qualifier game but it would be even better if i could get the voting screen to go away without using alt-f4 to quit the game!!

Sibylus

Banned
League got another brand new original hero.

What's taking Valve so long to port a decade old design?
Most of the Dota team moved on to shipping decade old Half-Life and Left 4 Dead designs.

I joke, through tears and 17 bottles of really cheap wine.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I enjoyed Overwatch, but I don't got room for it.

DOTA is my moba, CS is my FPS, and Stellaris is going to be my strategy fix for the next couple months. Got my Trifecta...and then fkn Legion hits. If I didn't like CS, I could see myself going bananas for Overwatch, but it didn't really grab me during the free beta weekends; OG TF2 was still da shiznit (and even that didn't make me an addict like CS/Dota have).

Top Bottom