• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Luigi |OT| Your Prescription To Fun Just As Long As You Have Fever Or The Chills!

HUELEN10

Ucd5Cxu.jpg

System: Wii U
Developer: Arika
Publisher: Nintendo
Rating:
I7fm6SZ.png
KgCUOcD.png
NDtg0ms.png
sIYmzIg.png

Release Date & Pricing:
o2BqwnV.png
December 31, 2013/14.99 USD
D9G2aVw.png
yFYKegd.png
62tm3Zi.png
January 15, 2014/ 13.49 GBP, 1,500 Yen
Compatible Controllers: Wii U Gamepad, Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, and Wii Remote + Classic Controller Pro​

IHqX3hl.jpg

The Dr. series of Nintendo games started in 1990 with Dr. Mario for the Gameboy and NES.
bstAefP.gif

In this puzzle game, you are being attacked by 3 types of devious viruses, and it's up to you to stop them! To do so, Mario must match 4 blocks of the same color, wether they be megavitamin or virus. If megavitamins can't fall freely, it's game over for you. The game became a great hit worldwide and saw many revisions, re-releases, and sequels The first major console sequel was called Dr. Mario 64, which came out in 2001.
8MXXRZ0.png

This game is played just like its predecessor, but adds new modes like an endless marathon mode, as well as a story mode where players must track a thief that has stolen all the megavitamins. It also bumps up the number of players from 2 to 4. This version was released on the GCN in japan, and even got a semi-port on the GBA. it wasn't until 2008 until the next console version of the game would come out; that version was called Dr. Mario Online Rx.
siIqnck.png

This game drops the story and adds in online multiplayer. It also has a second game attached to it called Virus Buster, a spin on the main game originating from Brain Age 2; it takes the same basic rules, but makes you twist and turn megavitamins in play with the pointer on your Wii Remote. This has been the latest main entry in the series... UNTIL NOW! Just in time to finish the Year of Luigi off comes Dr. Luigi.
KlkiSUT.png

This game is basically a direct sequel to Dr. Mario Online Rx in HD with a fresh look, and also adds a new gameplay mechanic called "Operation L"

vDjWtkF.jpg

In Operation L, you play the game with special "L-Shaped" capsules that are 2 capsules fused together. These special megavitamins, in easier difficulties, have 3 of the same color in a row, which means it's very easy to get rid of virus quickly, and makes for an easier, faster-paced gamed. If you bump up the difficulty though, you won't always have 3 of the same color lined up, meaning you get a harder game, but can pull of some insane combos by taking in mind 2 orientations and positions at the same time. Another feature, though not exclusive to Operation L apparently, is a change in the way in which combo attacks are formed. In previous games, a combo attack happens in multiplayer when you do a combo; when said combo happens, you send capsule pieces flying toward the other player, possibly blocking their path to victory. This doesn't happen anymore! The new rule is that when you chain combos, your opponent's next piece switches up JUST before he gets it! In higher speeds and difficulties, this forced change of strategy makes head-to-head matches that much more intense!​

dqTDksh.jpg

K6NldPy.jpg

Lhk025B.jpg

Yep, Billy's a great kid. His art is... don't get me wrong, it's cute, but it's almost the end of the Year Of Luigi! I thought in honor of this, we should do something special, so I'm holding a contest! It's an art contest, and the theme is Dr. Luigi OR Year Of Luigi. At the end of the contest one entry will be crowned the winner, and will win 10 USD IN NINTENDO FUN BUCKS. Sounds easy? It is! Here are the rules.

• Card is a 10 USD USA card, so make sure you have a US console to use it on.
  • Due to recent giveaways going sour, I'm going to have to be strict on this one: The prize can only be mailed to a USA address (In an envelope drawn by Billy, and shipped freely to you!) and will include the receipt. Why is this? Sometimes, these cards are printed wrong (happened to me once) and this way you can scan the receipt and the card, call Nintendo up, and have them credit your account if anything goes wrong.
  • This means no PMing the scratch-off code; sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Only one entry per GAFer. To submit an entry, simply post your art in this thread and put "ART SUBMISSION" in the post subject line. All submissions will then be posted in a gallery post for all to see!
  • The deadline for the contest is 11:59 PM Eastern Time On January 18th 2014 (A few days after the game comes out in all regions), after which I will announce the winner!

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!

Have a great 2014, and a great end to the Year Of Luigi!​

I want this but not sure at $15...

That's what I'm thinking, it's either NES Remix or this for me. The online mode is really appealing though. Would I need actual friends with Wii Us or can you do random matches? Cause more than half of my friends don't even know the Wii U exists, and none of the ones that do actually own one

terrisus

I have a pretty big Dr. Mario addiction.

I have
Dr. Mario (NES)
Tetris & Dr. Mario (SNES)
Dr. Mario 64 (N64)
Dr. Mario: Online Rx (Wii)
Dr. Mario (GB)
Classic NES Series: Dr. Mario (GBA)
Dr. Mario / Puzzle League (GBA)
Dr. Mario Express (DS)
Also played the arcade version a whole bunch out at DigiPen in 2000 and 2001, where they had the machine set up in the room where we took our breaks during the workshops I went to there.

So, of course I'm getting this one too. Let's give Luigi his shot at the Doctor thing.

HUELEN10

That's what I'm thinking, it's either NES Remix or this for me. The online mode is really appealing though. Would I need actual friends with Wii Us or can you do random matches? Cause more than half of my friends don't even know the Wii U exists, and none of the ones that do actually own one
I would assume there are random matches, the Online Rx had them; no reason to remove them right?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
$15 is kind of a lot for me. I'm not huge on puzzle games. Kinda tempted to just buy it anyway, though, because it's probably really good.

This is the first true original Wii U eShop game by Nintendo right? Not NES Remix because it's just taking NES games and twisting them and seemingly giving them a WarioWare DIY sort of concept.

Heh, cute OT.

I remember getting Dr. Mario Online Rx pretty close to its release, but I never ended up playing much of it for some reason. Still, I'll see if I end up picking this up. I still need to get NES Remix too...

Panel de Pon Wii U next, Nintendo!

Omzz

i want this but can't for the same reason i didn't purchase nes remix. probably wait till it goes down in price

javac

This is the first true original Wii U eShop game by Nintendo right? Not NES Remix because it's just taking NES games and twisting them and seemingly giving them a WarioWare DIY sort of concept.

Does NSLU count? On second thought I guess not since its DLC and had a limited physical run :p

Glass Joe

$15 is a bit high but I'll probably bite. There's a lack of puzzlers for the system. I really wouldn't mind seeing the NES version for VC too, as long as they gave an appropriate deal (buy Dr. Luigi, get Dr. Mario for a buck or something like that).

Remix totally counts! And there's that Pokemon game too. What's it called, Rumble U? Wow. All 3 Nintendo eShop games are $14.99+

Muzy72

Banned
$15 is way too damn much. Hopefully Nintendo has a sale on this + NES Remix soon because I'd love to play them. Nintendo really needs to learn how to properly price digital games...

javac

Those viruses look really cute lol. Even Luigi looks cute in his doctors uniform :$

How did you make these images in the op? Did you actually draw then with crayons? Looks really cute. That yellow one looks high lol.

HUELEN10

I would love to know who at Nintendo is in charge of their digital pricing.
Pricing for all their titles seems to be at 14.99+ USD for some reason; They should think of a 9.99 USD tier for some of their games. This game's predecessor on Wii was 10 USD for the record.
Heh, cute OT.

I remember getting Dr. Mario Online Rx pretty close to its release, but I never ended up playing much of it for some reason. Still, I'll see if I end up picking this up. I still need to get NES Remix too...

Panel de Pon Wii U next, Nintendo!
If they make a direct sequel to PPL (and keep all that awesome music too), that would be incredible. IS better be working on this right now!
omg, Huelen, those banners are so cute.
Heheh, thanks. There's actually a reason for those, just give me a few more minutes...

Holy shit! I didn't realise till now that those enemies in Mario and Luigi Dream Team were from Dr. Mario. My favourite enemies in the game.

blamite

I'm really glad there's a new Dr. Mario game and I'll probably end up picking this up, but to be honest this looks kind of lazy, as shitty as that is to say. It just looks almost identical to Online Rx except for slightly shinier graphics, Luigi, and Operation L.

The fact that Miis aren't even used is super lame, it was always cool to see the Mii of the person yo were playing against online, without that so much of the game's character is lost.

KlkiSUT.png

They couldn't be arsed to make models for the original viruses?

It's better this way. The new viruses suck, the less I have to see of them the better.

Why don't the little viruses in the bottle look like big viruses? That smacks of extreme laziness.

Also, the designs of the new viruses are awful. Original trio all the way.

HUELEN10

In all honesty, they could have easily just used the Wii game's Virus Models so you can switch between them if you'd like. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised tomorrow, who knows? What I'm hoping for is that tracks Cough/Sneeze will be present as they were not in Dr. Mario Express.

Oh, and BTW contest is LIVE!

Berordn

Did we ever get a confirmation on if 4p multi was returning? It got axed in Online RX and even though it sucked I kind of miss it :(

Why don't the little viruses in the bottle look like big viruses? That smacks of extreme laziness.

Sometimes they do, though!

dr-luigickso6.jpg

Did we ever get a confirmation on if 4p multi was returning? It got axed in Online RX and even though it sucked I kind of miss it :(

Sometimes they do, though!

dr-luigickso6.jpg
I'm so confused. Why don't they have models of all of them then? The pink one and the new blue aren't even the same colors as the originals. (And why do they only appear in "Retro Remedy"? Shouldn't that be where you see the original trio?)

What is going on here? :/

Exile20

$15 is way too damn much. Hopefully Nintendo has a sale on this + NES Remix soon because I'd love to play them. Nintendo really needs to learn how to properly price digital games...

I haven't played this yet but nes remix was worth every cent of the $15. If this is as packed as that then I have no reason not to buy this.

Top Bottom