• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

I had two crashes yesterday while talking to people (PC version). The last one made me go to bed saying fuck this, I dont know if I lost a lot.

Is this happening to a lot of people, or its only me?

So I'm like 12 hours in and nothing has happened plotwise.

I'm wealthy after getting back from the deep roads, porked the elf mage and something something is happening with the Qunari. When does the plot start?

Ducarmel

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I had two crashes yesterday while talking to people (PC version). The last one made me go to bed saying fuck this, I dont know if I lost a lot.

Is this happening to a lot of people, or its only me?
Beat the game in 33 hours and it crashed on me once while I was equipping gear to see if there was any stat differences. I'm on a laptop gaming pc vista centrino 2 nvidia 98000m gs (not using the latest beta drivers) playing on low settings on dx9 mode.

Ducarmel said:
Beat the game in 33 hours and it crashed on me once while I was equipping gear to see if there was any stat differences. I'm on a laptop gaming pc vista centrino 2 nvidia 98000m gs (not using the latest beta drivers) playing on low settings on dx9 mode.

Im playing in DX11 mode, ive read that might be the problem (the crashes have been with less than 4 hours play time). All things in high, even with the hig resolution pack. I only have frame rate problems in one of the corners of my house, when I talk with one of the characters and the camera faces that way, pretty strange, and the crashes were not in that place).
I would put DX9 but I dont want the game to look more crappy that what it is right now. Does it change a lot?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Wolves Evolve said:
EDIT: Sorry, just catching up with the SecuROM news.

I watched some of the game yesterday and I think I'm ready to forgive the design flaws in general. Its fascinating to see people's reactions change over time.

What's your impressions with the game now? Just curious to see what people think now after playing the game after several hours and got a gist of what the game has to offer.

X-Frame

Okay I'm confused. I just did the Act 2 quest for Sebastian and during it you can
pick up the Starhaven Longbow to give to him as a gift .. where is it in my inventory? I don't see it anywhere and it's a quest of mine ..

X-Frame said:
Okay I'm confused. I just did the Act 2 quest for Sebastian and during it you can
pick up the Starhaven Longbow to give to him as a gift .. where is it in my inventory? I don't see it anywhere and it's a quest of mine ..
You have to talk to him at his home base, then you can give it to him.

ZombieFred said:
What's your impressions with the game now? Just curious to see what people think now after playing the game after several hours and got a gist of what the game has to offer.

Its got horrible design flaws.
It is buggy and rushed.
It is absolutely hilarious.
It has beautiful animations.
It is not worth full price.
It is worth every second.

Teflon

ZombieFred said:

I'm around 20 hours in and I'm pretty much bored with the game. I loved the first game and played it through twice. This game is nothing like the first one and I doubt I will finish it. At times I lose interest in battles and I find find myself just tapping the A button mindlessly while messing around on my iphone. The first 10 hours were good but somewhere I lost interest in the story, maybe that's my fault. Yes, I could have made a few choices differently but I'm not going to go back and replay the game and see how the game unfolds differently because of the button mashing gameplay.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Wolves Evolve said:
Its got horrible design flaws.
It is buggy and rushed.
It is absolutely hilarious.
It has beautiful animations.
It is not worth full price.
It is worth every second.

Looks like Bioware has created a flawed gem. And I bet after a few months down the line, thanks to mods or DLC, people will talk much positive about this game and look forward to the next chapter. At least they've got plenty of feedback to make something very special because there's something in this game, I can't put my finger on it, that makes it very much fun in some odd sadistic way.

ZombieFred said:
Looks like Bioware has created a flawed gem. And I bet after a few months down the line, thanks to mods or DLC, people will talk much positive about this game and look forward to the next chapter. At least they've got plenty of feedback to make something very special because there's something in this game, I can't put my finger on it, that makes it very much fun in some odd sadistic way.

I think the effects and character animation are stellar. Like, enough to warrant a purchase down the track with all the DLC included for like 35 US or whatever. Its mesmerising. You juuuust have to forget the game they're attached to.

I think if you sadistically enjoyed The Bard's Tale remake by inXile, then this one's for you.

ZombieFred said:

The game is the definition of a love/hate relationship. I liked it for most of Act 1, then for the early parts of Act 2 I started to hate it and question why was I doing all this pointless shit, and then Act 3 picked up and started focusing on the main plot and it got better despite the somewhat abrupt ending.

As many side quests and companion quests as there are, there were quite a few solid ones amidst all the pointless shitty ones. Problem is they all use the same 5 dungeon designs. No joke, I once got the same looking area 4 quests in a row.

Darkone said:
i have GT880 which of course does not support DX11 :(.

Any major diffreance playing the game on Direct X 9 and not 11??

Yeah, your game will actually be playable if you run it in DX9. 11 is a broken mess no matter how strong your computer is if you're using a nvidia card. Half the framerate (at least) for no major improvements, though this happens to me in almost every DX11 game, it's just a bit worse in this.

Aaron

ZombieFred said:
Actually, I think when DA3 comes out having all the good bits of this game and is all around a more polished product, people will ask, "Should I play DA1 and 2 before this?" The answer will be, "You can play DA1 for the story if you don't mind the different gameplay, but DA2... nah. Skip it."

Monocle

Finally got around to playing the demo. Hilariously ugly graphics, shit mountain indeed. Combat is way more fun than I expected (mages make everything better), the voice acting is top notch, and Flemeth is a badass with her great new look. I didn't mind playing as a prebaked character at all. Even though this game clearly has some major issues, I like what I saw . . . let me rephrase. I like what I experienced enough to want more. I'll pick up the ultimate edition of DA2 somewhere down the line.

gdt

Dammit. My Fenris quest bugged! Fuck!

I was hopping around, following the map, doing quests.

Then I went to that cave where Fenris's slaver was, without him (I didn't even know :lol)! So, when I get to the elf girl, Fenris voice shows up out of nowhere, but just his voice...not his body.

Uh oh. I should've gotten the fuck out of there and went to get Fenris.

Then, I go forth, fight the slaver daughter, kill her...and that's it. Her body is laying on the ground, can't do anything about it, and the arrow is on my map where her body is.

I brought Fenris there, no change.

Fuck, 2 different companion quests bugged out on me. Still don't have Isabella either.

eek5

Finally beat the game. I think act 3> act 2>>>>> act 1, easily. Act 1 had way too many unnecessary side quests. I'm still bummed a bout the recycled dungeons and the story ended pretty abruptly (I'm hoping DLC extends the story??) but overall it was ok. Not sure if I'm going to replay since I think I'd stall out in act 1

Also I hope change some of the stuff they "streamlined". I don't really understand junk items, I miss companion armor greatly, I'm not sure how I feel about the crafting resources being constant like they are, and I miss traps and different level potions.

Jenga

Banned
Monocle said:
Finally got around to playing the demo. Hilariously ugly graphics, shit mountain indeed. Combat is way more fun than I expected (mages make everything better), the voice acting is top notch, and Flemeth is a badass with her great new look.
my favorite part about flemeth is the awkwardly firm and perky looking breasts on someone a billion years old

Aaron said:
Actually, I think when DA3 comes out having all the good bits of this game and is all around a more polished product, people will ask, "Should I play DA1 and 2 before this?" The answer will be, "You can play DA1 for the story if you don't mind the different gameplay, but DA2... nah. Skip it."
Considering that some people suggest skipping Mass Effect 1, I wouldn't doubt it.
Jenga said:
my favorite part about flemeth is the awkwardly firm and perky looking breasts on someone a billion years old
This is Flemeth
Flemeth.jpg

I don't know who that crazy woman, all dressed up in leather and spiky metal bits, is.

kitzkozan

ZombieFred said:

The game could of been fantastic with 3 years+ of development.Anyway,I'm gonna pick up the ultimate edition which should make the overall product enjoyable (I'm guessing the DLC should be an improvement over DA).

Hopefully EA will get the fucking clue and let Bioware take their time to make a proper sequel (hopefully for the next generation of consoles).

Draft

Jenga said:
To be fair, DA:O only had the one female model, and it resulted in granmas like Wynne (the healer) being stacked, too.

Lostconfused said:
Did you see Hawke's mother? Must have had em when she was 16.

Well if they are going for the whole medieval angle that's pretty appropriate. Hell, if took her that long to have her first child their were probably worries that she might be barren.

Spookie

Well. Glad that's over with. The end of the game was marred by out of sync audio and random lock ups galore. I have a funny feeling even if I went back and did the complete opposite of all the choices I had taken I'd still end up with the same ending.

Hmph. First game this year I genuinely regret buying.

Deadly

ZombieFred said:
Mods would definitely help the game but, I thought they didn't release any mod tools for it?

Xilium

Speaking of Flemeth, is it ever explained why she suddenly went all JRPG in appearance?

I don't dislike her design (I actually tend to prefer JRPG character designs) but it is completely out of place in this game, especially when considering her appearance in Origins.

Also, I ended up picking this game up on a whim at Best Buy last night (They had PC signature editions just sitting on the shelf and the RPG fanboy in me wouldn't let me leave them be). I'm only a few hours in (~6) but I definitely agree with what was posted earlier in this thread about the MMO structure of the sidequest. Anyway, I'll withhold judgment till I at least get to act II since that is when things are supposed to get good, as far as plot and character development goes.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Deadly said:
Mods would definitely help the game but, I thought they didn't release any mod tools for it?

I remember one of the devs saying that the game is much similar to the first, in terms of SDK mod input, so I can see people bypassing this game without any SDK made for it and edit the game from the SDK from origins. Unless Bioware decides to release one for this game down the line, there is a fair chance the game can be modded without much complication.

Xilium said:
Speaking of Flemeth, is it ever explained why she suddenly went all JRPG in appearance?

I don't dislike her design (I actually tend to prefer JRPG character designs) but it is completely out of place in this game, especially when considering her appearance in Origins.

They wanted the game's art to be more stylized and noticeable.

They succeeded in that sense since until lost posted that screen I forgot what Origins Flemeth looked like, yet I remember new Flemeth clearly. The actual quality is hit and miss.

Shit, Flemeth looks like Ultimecia with those hair horns.

MechaX

Guh. Think I may have locked myself into an impossible situation here.

I decided to check up on the family that Sebastian was kinda pissed off about real briefly, thinking it would be a minor fight at best that wouldn't take too much effort for just my mage and Sebastian to take care of.

... If I had a hint that I would be fighting wave after wave of fucking Shades and demons, I would have held off to be a bit more prepared.

... Too bad the game locks you into the mansion and you can't leave until you've completed everything. What in the world? Did any of the quests in the game suddenly lock you into the area until you've completed the quest? I could have sworn that you were free to leave and come back, so why does this quest want to be different?

Aaron

ZombieFred said:
I remember one of the devs saying that the game is much similar to the first, in terms of SDK mod input, so I can see people bypassing this game without any SDK made for it and edit the game from the SDK from origins. Unless Bioware decides to release one for this game down the line, there is a fair chance the game can be modded without much complication.
Reading around the modding forums it seems this isn't the case. Someone even mentioned that DA2 doesn't have the ability to handle modules like the original game did. So unless Bioware releases an update to the toolset down the line, I wouldn't count on anything but the most simple of mods, like changing item stats and the like.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
never say never

I got my instore credit expiring in two day, so I payed 0$ for the game. Fuck yeah.

Will post impressions and DX11 screens soon.

MechaX

Lostconfused said:
Still can't get over just how magnificently stupid the decision of having fights with multiple waves of enemies spawning on you is.

I'm feeling this. After about 20 minutes of fighting this squad because Sebastian sucks and it was only down to me and the dog, I thought I was in the clear. Too bad the same massive group respawned.

Edit: Note to self, enemy archers can shoot you through entire rooms.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
A little nod to the Witcher on here
One of the corpses you can come across in a cave pass the Dalish Camp, is called "Gerralt of south song corpse"
, quite the laugh how they did it.

Xilium

BoboBrazil said:
Yeah I guess that is what it is. Why is it not happening in the 360 version?
360 has v-sync. They explain it in the article but basically PS3 has screen tearing and 360 has slow down as negatives.

Top Bottom