• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

methos75

Banned
Quick question, can the Exiled Prince DLC be purchased once your in Act 2 and you still be able to recruit Sebastian, or do you have to start his missions in Act 1?

Deadly

BoboBrazil said:
I had sex with
Isabella and then had Anders move in with me and they mentioned Anders. Never got the sex with Merrill though, despite how much I flirted:/
Guess that's not what initiates the bug then. But there's no denying it's screwed up :lol

Stallion Free said:
Lol so people have told me that they
Allistair
only shows up if he was
king
and only if he wasn't. Does anyone have like a final say on which of these two is right or if they are both right?
Check my post, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26464474&postcount=5141

Deadly said:
The ending itself is bugged in terms of the romance aspects.
Whoever you have sex with first is the one mentioned in the ending. So since I slept with Isabella first and then romanced Merrill for the rest of the game yet there was no single mention of her in the ending.

The same happened to me, though it's only one line, so we really didn't miss much.

zmoney said:

Honestly I feel like DA2 just pulled a KOTOR with Hawke hurdy burdy pudding turdy.

This had better not be an actual spoiler. If it is, there are tags, and you should really learn how to use them. If it is, I hope I get to ruin a game for you one day too.

Balphon

TigerUppercut said:
Judging by every other chest I've opened something that's not worth the effort.

There's a dagger you can buy in Act 1 that adds 50% to your cunning the purposes of opening locks and disarming traps. Won't make the contents of chests any better, but Isabela or a rogue Hawke will probably end up with 40 dex and 27+ cunning just from normal stat progression, which is all you'd need.

Balphon said:
There's a dagger you can buy in Act 1 that adds 50% to your cunning the purposes of opening locks and disarming traps. Won't make the contents of chests any better, but Isabela or a rogue Hawke will probably end up with 40 dex and 27+ cunning just from normal stat progression, which is all you'd need.

Do you remember where you can buy this dagger?

Lol, it's a lot easier to trigger romances in this game than I thought.
I didn't give Merill the trinket she needed to restore the Eluvian, told Marethari what she was planning, killed all of the Dalish (much to my regret, but oh well), and basically had her Rivalry meter filled up completely. She confronts me at my house, I select a "Heart"-option, thinking "it'll make her feel better", but apparently all heart options mean "I want to be inside you". Suddenly she jumps Hawke, and I quickly have to revert to my dashboard to make sure it doesn't save. I'm with Isabela, dammit. :lol

Also, did anyone else think the conclusion of Anders' personal quest was... Strange?
He makes such a big deal out of the 'potion' that can save him, and then the only thing that changes is his outfit. He didn't even tell me whether or not Justice/Vengeance had actually departed.

Something that would be awesome (perhaps to be patched in) would be the ability to see the Friend/Rival status in the Character Select screen. Oh, and also the ability to see the effects of Belts/Rings/Amulets when you find them.

Hilaho

Neo Member
whatevermort said:
This had better not be an actual spoiler. If it is, there are tags, and you should really learn how to use them. If it is, I hope I get to ruin a game for you one day too.

Here's a spoiler for you.. Aerith fucking dies man!

Salaadin

Basileus777 said:
Merrill's act 3 quests/conversations are bugged to hell.

Seriously. Now she just comes to me at my house telling me how much she wants to be like me. I scold her and tell her that Im trying to make sure no one else gets hurt. She gets mad and says "Do you really think Id let anyone get hurt with what Im doing?"

I wish they had a "YOUR KEEPER IS DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU!!!!!!!!" dialogue option.

Hixx

Does anyone have a good tank build because I've just been running with me as a two-handed warrior gathering shit up and its easier to do than with sword and shield but stuff is starting to hit pretty hard in Act 2 and I feel I'm just around the corner from a boss that will be too much to take on without a proper defensive character. Infact the game got considerably more difficult when I tried to respec my character to a full on tank!

Hilaho said:
Here's a spoiler for you.. Aerith fucking dies man!

It's one thing spoiling a game from over a decade ago. It's quite another spoiling the story of a game released a few days ago, when most people here won't have had a chance to finish it. Don't be a dick.

Blue Ninja said:
Also, did anyone else think the conclusion of Anders' personal quest was... Strange?
He makes such a big deal out of the 'potion' that can save him, and then the only thing that changes is his outfit. He didn't even tell me whether or not Justice/Vengeance had actually departed.

Keep playing, you'll get your answer to that by the end of the game.

Zeliard

gdt5016 said:
Dammit. My Fenris quest bugged! Fuck!

I was hopping around, following the map, doing quests.

Then I went to that cave where Fenris's slaver was, without him (I didn't even know :lol)! So, when I get to the elf girl, Fenris voice shows up out of nowhere, but just his voice...not his body.

Uh oh. I should've gotten the fuck out of there and went to get Fenris.

Then, I go forth, fight the slaver daughter, kill her...and that's it. Her body is laying on the ground, can't do anything about it, and the arrow is on my map where her body is.

I brought Fenris there, no change.

Fuck, 2 different companion quests bugged out on me. Still don't have Isabella either.

Yeah you can bug the companion quests if you trigger them without that specific companion in your party.

Happened to me with Aveline in Act 1. Triggered her companion quest somehow without her in my party, and when every enemy aggro'd on me I just killed them all and completed the quest, but Aveline was invisible in the next cutscene. A talking whisp of air. Fortunately it didn't seem to have done lasting damage.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Glah, how am I supposed to see the 'bonus' I get for an Armour set? I just got the Ensalin set and I wanna know how awesome it is :/

Kinitari said:
Glah, how am I supposed to see the 'bonus' I get for an Armour set? I just got the Ensalin set and I wanna know how awesome it is :/

Check your PC's skill tree. The bonus is listed on the small tree with your mabari summon on it.

Vamphuntr

I'm really disappointed by the plot of this one. Are there only like 4 story missions? I'm in the third act and the only mission left is
The last straw
. Really Bioware. They pulled a ME 2 again.

Where is it possible to lose party members? I've been reading everywhere they can leave you but none permanently left so far except
Carver that is with the Wardens
. I have Isabela, Fenris, Ander, Aveline and Varic with 100% friendship and I have a Merril with almost 100% Rivality. Sebastian is bugged in my game no matter how many points he gains in Friendship or Rivalry his progression bar doesn't change and stays in neutral position.

Deadly

I was considering a second playthrough as a rogue but damn just thinking about all those stupid sidequests makes it so not enjoyable. That and having to recreate my character :lol

Zeliard

The visuals can be pretty good at times - the problem is that since you spend so much time in the city, it just gets visually tiring after a while. It wasn't too long before I started looking forward to going to the few outside areas, because even though there's nothing visually or thematically special about them either, at least they're something that isn't Kirkwall.

I'm running with a party of Hawke/Fenris/Isabela/Merrill now. I switched out Anders' uber-healing for some extra firepower with Merrill. Still manageable on Nightmare. I find that I usually wipe out groups so quickly that the lack of healing isn't as much an issue so far (my player mage has the basic heal spell as well and I might take him Spirit Healer with the second spec). And Isabela is just a monster.

X-Frame

Damnit, another glitch. Can't
loot the Varterrals body for his heart for the Herbalist quest.

Guess I need to reload a save again.

Zeliard

Hilaho said:
I run with Femhawke, Merrill, Bethany, and Isabella for the time being. Hilarious banter so far.

Yeah there's a pretty neat mix in my party. Like with Fenris and Merrill together - not only is Merrill a mage, but she's also a dalish elf (to Fenris' High Town city elf), so those two generally have stuff to talk about. And Isabela's banter with the naive, sheltered Merrill is also pretty fun.

Smack Fu

Just beat it, took 56 hours, about the same amount of time the first time DA:O took. Don't get all the hate on this board. I thought it was a great game.
The combat really has not changed from DA:O, you can do the same stuff if you pause and issue commands, pressing "A" (360 version) between the big spells is no big deal.
I played a mage on Hard (well put it down to Normal on the High Dragon and the optional Demon). All those peps saying it took 20 hours must of been on casual and skipped a bunch of quests or just flat out skipped the dialog.
As of now, I'm on a 'high' from it still so can not say which one was better (1 or 2). The ending just set something big up for DA:3.
Going to go through it again with a sword and board warrior (so I don't have to take Aveline this time, she was with me 100% 1st play time) and as a evil bitch and side with the templars this time. Got everyone up to 100% friend status last time, going for the opposite this time.

mujun

I am really loving this. It's what I wanted out of the first game (fantasy Mass Effect).

My only gripe is the city and getting around it. Don't like the way they've done it with leaving areas and choosing destinations. If it has been one giant seamless city it would have been so much better. The design of the city looks really great on the map, it would have been awesome to walk down from the high parts down to the docks. It would require some kind of fast travel of course.

Hilaho

Neo Member
Smack Fu said:
Just beat it, took 56 hours, about the same amount of time the first time DA:O took. Don't get all the hate on this board. I thought it was a great game.
The combat really has not changed from DA:O, you can do the same stuff if you pause and issue commands, pressing "A" (360 version) between the big spells is no big deal.
I played a mage on Hard (well put it down to Normal on the High Dragon and the optional Demon). All those peps saying it took 20 hours must of been on casual and skipped a bunch of quests or just flat out skipped the dialog.
As of now, I'm on a 'high' from it still so can not say which one was better (1 or 2). The ending just set something big up for DA:3.
Going to go through it again with a sword and board warrior (so I don't have to take Aveline this time, she was with me 100% 1st play time) and as a evil bitch and side with the templars this time. Got everyone up to 100% friend status last time, going for the opposite this time.

Like OMG spoilers!!!!!!!!!!

Lunchbox

Banned
does anders
blow up the chantry and the cleric
even if you dont do his side quest?

i only did his shit cause i wanted the friendship achievement, and now the fucker does this

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
mujun said:
I am really loving this. It's what I wanted out of the first game (fantasy Mass Effect).

My only gripe is the city and getting around it. Don't like the way they've done it with leaving areas and choosing destinations. If it has been one giant seamless city it would have been so much better. The design of the city looks really great on the map, it would have been awesome to walk down from the high parts down to the docks. It would require some kind of fast travel of course.

I think my biggest issue with the game so far (10 hours in) is that the title completely lacks vision and scope. It's such a small adventure compared to Origins. What you do feels insignificant comparatively to the grand adventure of Origins. Nothing I accomplish feels important to the lore of the world, and that approach even seemed to trickle into the actual game design. The lack of cohesive "feel" of Kirkwall, and the lack of any distinct personality for The Free Marches. The inability to equip armor on your companions. How spread out your companions "Homes" are (no unified camp after all this time playing?). The lack of impact your Side Quests seem to have on the city itself. All the small, confined 'battle areas' - they said we'd have more tactical ability in DA2, but all the fights so far take place in such small corridors it's hard to really take advantage of the terrain.

The lack of compelling narrative force doesn't really makes sense for a high fantasy RPG, especially after the bar set for DAO. But hey, the graphics are a million times better (Xbox version)

Zeliard

mujun said:

The fast travel system is one of the larger mistakes they made in the game. Setting it mostly in one city wouldn't have been as big a deal if you didn't travel throughout it in a way that doesn't make it at all feel like a city. And that also compounds and is compounded by the fact that they re-use the same areas so many times, trying to disguise them simply by having you enter the same zones from different entrances. Instead of serving to make the setting feel more intimate (which was presumably one of their goals), it makes it feel smaller and far more limited in scope.

Even then, I don't really think the city design is that imaginative regardless. I mean, Hightown, Lowtown? With both having the cliched characteristics and general architecture you'd expect out of places with those names? It's just not very inspired. Only points in the city I found at all eye-grabbing were the Gallows and the Dock, but only before you've seen them so many times.

Salaadin

Just beat it after only 31 hours. How is that possible? I see some people saying 40+ hours. I only did Main Plot quests when there were no other side/companion/secondary quests to do. I mustve missed out on a huge chunk to lose 9 hours play time....

Hilaho

Neo Member
Salaadin said:
Just beat it after only 31 hours. How is that possible? I see some people saying 40+ hours. I only did Main Plot quests when there were no other side/companion/secondary quests to do. I mustve missed out on a huge chunk to lose 9 hours play time....

Were you into reading all the codexes and stuff? That was the best part to me.

Salaadin said:

It took me over 40 hours and I did all of the quests I found. I found alot of quests inside chests and I did all of the letters I received at the house. Anytime anyone asked for help I always said yes.

Zeliard

After 20 hours I hadn't hit the Deep Roads yet, though I typically go through every RPG at a leisurely pace. I think there are quest chains you can miss if you don't revisit certain areas and talk to certain people, or pick up certain items.

I finished at about 34 hours. I did pretty much everything. There were I think only two seconday quests I didn't finish, and there were some things that were bugged and I couldn't finished. Still I'd say I went through over 95% of the content. The legnth wasn't really a problem, I was ready for it to end. Not that it was a bad game, just that there wasn't much else it could do.

Salaadin

Hilaho said:
Were you into reading all the codexes and stuff? That was the best part to me.
A little but not much. I didnt feel as into learning the backstory as I usually am with games like this.

BoboBrazil said:
It took me over 40 hours and I did all of the quests I found. I found alot of quests inside chests and I did all of the letters I received at the house. Anytime anyone asked for help I always said yes.

I mostly did that too. I dont know. My sister just started Act 3 at 44 hours. My brother is on Act 2 with 33 hours. I beat the game at 31 hours. I had to miss something...

That, or they take their time while I was busy rushing to the next quest arrow.

delirium

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I finished at about 34 hours. I did pretty much everything. There were I think only two seconday quests I didn't finish, and there were some things that were bugged and I couldn't finished. Still I'd say I went through over 95% of the content. The legnth wasn't really a problem, I was ready for it to end. Not that it was a bad game, just that there wasn't much else it could do.
Kind of what I felt. It seems I was forcing myself to play the last few hours of the game.

delirium said:
Kind of what I felt. It seems I was forcing myself to play the last few hours of the game.

Yeah, by the end I was ready for it to be over. I actually thought the end of the game was the
Qunari fight
, but then it kept going.

Zeliard

Salaadin said:
I mostly did that too. I dont know. My sister just started Act 3 at 44 hours. My brother is on Act 2 with 33 hours. I beat the game at 31 hours. I had to miss something...

That, or they take their time while I was busy rushing to the next quest arrow.

Difficulty settings will play a part as well. Much of the time you spend in the game is in combat - even with the increased speed, there's still a lot of it, since there are a ton of quests and nearly all are completed via combat. So if you're playing on Normal you'll generally be getting through battles much quicker than on the higher difficulties. I'm also not sure if the play-time count continues while battles are paused, which would also add to it.

I'm right before what I assume is
the final battle right now. Male WarHawke, mostly good guy/funny man, Bethany in the Circle, full Friendship with Anders, Aveline, Isabela and Varric, full Rivalry with Merril, a neutral Fenris and a bugged Sebastian. Sided with the Mages after Anders blew up the Chantry. Fenris originally joined the Templar side, but I convinced him to join me after all. I let Anders live (though part of me really wanted to kick him out of the city, at the very least), and Sebastian swore vengeance and left. Not that I care: I think the fucker was bugged anyways. I didn't get the "Heirloom" achievement when I gave him his grandfather's bow, nor did I get the achievement for confronting the killer of his parents. Romanced Isabela.

So far, I'm nearing 50 hours of playtime, and I didn't complete some sidequests (
the Qunari Swords and the ambush by lord Sphincter, since both seemed bugged
).

Now all that remains is
to kick Meredith and her Templar cronies into the ground.
God, I've wanted to do that ever since Act II.

I can see why some people don't like this game, but as far as I'm concerned, this is a more than worthy successor to Dragon Age: Origins. It needs a lot of refinement (no more goddamn second waves of enemies, let alone third or fourth, especially during boss battles; refining the UI; ...) but the seeds of greatness are definitely there.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Zeliard said:
Difficulty settings will play a part as well. Much of the time you spend in the game is in combat - even with the increased speed, there's still a lot of it, since there are a ton of quests and nearly all are completed via combat. So if you're playing on Normal you'll generally be getting through battles much quicker than on the higher difficulties. I'm also not sure if the play-time count continues while battles are paused, which would also add to it.

Probably it. I get a bunch of long battles on Nightmare. Lots of running lol

FINALBOSS

Banned
Yesterday I was picking my guys to enter
The Fade
:

Fenris: "I will definitely go with you"
Merrill: "I'd love to see this ritual! Please pick me"

/add Fenris to team
/add Merrill to team

Fenris - Rivalry +10
Merrill - Rivalry +10