• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Hixx

The room with that
Nexus Golem vendor
was terrible. Waves upon waves of enemies and absolutely no XP. Fucks sake.

BoboBrazil said:
Yeah I guess that is what it is. Why is it not happening in the 360 version?

here is what it said in the article:

Performance was a pretty major issue in the Dragon Age II demo. There we saw that both Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game implemented v-sync, ensuring image consistency but resulting in some very noticeable performance dips. The Sony platform appeared to be marginally smoother in the cut-scenes, but in-game, roles were reversed. During intense gameplay with lots of magic being executed, the PS3 in particular suffered up against the 360 version operating in very similar circumstances. However, the Microsoft console could struggle too, and we could see performance drops to a sustained 20FPS in stressful scenes. Not good.

The same basic set-up remains in the final version of the Xbox 360 game, but it's clear that BioWare wasn't happy with the way things were running and made some pretty fundamental changes to the way frames are refreshed on PlayStation 3. To cut a long story short, frame-rate is now unlocked and v-sync has been turned off, resulting in noticeable screen-tear.

HixxSAFC said:
The room with that
Nexus Golem vendor
was terrible. Waves upon waves of enemies and absolutely no XP. Fucks sake.
Thats what caused me to write that post. I just got to another room thats almost as bad.

X-Frame

God damn my Isabela is a Boss murderer. Granted I am only playing on Normal, but her DPS is insane.

Gets me excited to play as a Rogue next.

mik

mik is unbeatable
HixxSAFC said:
I'm quite happy with my Hawke after fixing her ridiculous cheeks.

We're twins!

8617668c.png

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I really dislike how they make encounters difficult just by throwing wave after wave of enemies at you, one quest in Act 2 was just stupid with it.

Darklord

Banned
After playing it for a while I am starting to like it but what's the story exactly? By this point in Origins I had ventured into the fade, found out by friend was a blood mage, joined the grey wardens, fought the dark spawn at Ostagar, got betrayed and ran for myself. I'd already set myself on a big, dangerous adventure with heaps to do ahead of me.

In this I ran away from the dark spawn, became a slave for a year, and am scrounging for coin while bickering over who owns our old family house and have no idea where it's heading apart from "the champion" maybe does something at some point. What am I really doing here? The games fun but the story has started really weak.

Darklord said:
After playing it for a while I am starting to like it but what's the story exactly? By this point in Origins I had ventured into the fade, found out by friend was a blood mage, joined the grey wardens, fought the dark spawn at Ostagar, got betrayed and ran for myself. I'd already set myself on a big, dangerous adventure with heaps to do ahead of me.

In this I ran away from the dark spawn, became a slave for a year, and am scrounging for coin while bickering over who owns our old family house and have no idea where it's heading apart from "the champion" maybe does something at some point. What am I really doing here? The games fun but the story has started really weak.

The storyline is just really your rise to the top in the city. The story aspect is really weak. At first I thought I was going to fight the lady that turned into a dragon at the end of the game. Then I thought the storyline was going to lead to a big battle against invading Qunari to finish the game, and then all of a sudden it becomes mages vs templars.

For people thinking of doing the xp glitch, I've heard that the enemy's stats are basically setup to adjust with yours so if you max out your character the enemies will be much harder as well.

gdt

Just got to Act 3, end of 2 was fucking epic.

Digging the smaller, more local narrative here. I like how the Quanari battle led to a bit of a power vaccuum that mixes with the Mages/Templar thing. Good stuff.

gdt

BoboBrazil said:
The storyline is just really your rise to the top in the city. The story aspect is really weak. At first I thought I was going to fight the lady that turned into a dragon at the end of the game. Then I thought the storyline was going to lead to
a big battle against invading Qunari
to finish the game, and then all of a sudden it becomes
mages vs templars

Anyone who played Origins knew Flemeth was there to set up DA:3.

Not really all of a sudden either,
Mages/Templars
has been going on since the first conversation, where Bethany warned about Kirkwall having a huge amount of Templars. Not to mention Anders
trying to start a revolution

BoboBrazil said:
The storyline is BLAH BLAH. The story aspect is really weak. At first I thought I was going to BLAH BLAH. Then I thought the storyline was going to BLAH BLAH FUCKEDY BLAH

Yeah, don't worry about spoiling key story aspects the weekend after the game is released. Don't trouble yourself. The rest of us don't give a shit, really we don't.

Salaadin

ANyone know what the deal here is? 2 quests in Act 3 so far seemed bugged an unable to be completed:

First one is "Who needs rescuing" where youre supposed to search the Wounded Coast for a girl kidnapped by bandits. I scoured the coast, nothing. I did find an NPC named "Bandit Leader" but he wont do anything. He just stands there and I cant inteact with him at all. Google searching shows a lot of people with this issue.

The second is "Reining it in" where I need to goto an alley and lure the leader jess out from hiding. Im in the alley, Jess comes out and I kill her. The quest arrow changes to her dead body so I examine it and the arrow disappears. I leave the area and theres still an arrow on the main map pointing me to the alley, still thinking I have to kill her. The quest just doesnt complete and stays in my journal, telling me to go get Jess even though Jess is dead

Theres was one or two in Act 2 that I couldnt finish either. This is irritating.

whatevermort said:
Yeah, don't worry about spoiling key story aspects the weekend after the game is released. Don't trouble yourself. The rest of us don't give a shit, really we don't.

Fixed it. Didn't know people were that concerned about it, since I just gave the overlaying plot.

hitoshi

Salaadin said:
ANyone know what the deal here is? 2 quests in Act 3 so far seemed bugged an unable to be completed:

First one is "Who needs rescuing" where youre supposed to search the Wounded Coast for a girl kidnapped by bandits. I scoured the coast, nothing. I did find an NPC named "Bandit Leader" but he wont do anything. He just stands there and I cant inteact with him at all. Google searching shows a lot of people with this issue.

The second is "Reining it in" where I need to goto an alley and lure the leader jess out from hiding. Im in the alley, Jess comes out and I kill her. The quest arrow changes to her dead body so I examine it and the arrow disappears. I leave the area and theres still an arrow on the main map pointing me to the alley, still thinking I have to kill her. The quest just doesnt complete and stays in my journal, telling me to go get Jess even though Jess is dead

Theres was one or two in Act 2 that I couldnt finish either. This is irritating.

Both happened to me, had to skip those 2 quests. Tthe Exiled Prince achievements are not unlocking as well.

AlStrong

Salaadin said:

This one you complete by walking all over the map to trigger the enemies to appear. You complete this once you kill everyone, so just keep walking into every nook and cranny.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Graphics look decent on DX11.

I dig the narrative. I never realized how I'm sick of saving the world. Writing is ok, it's engaging.

What I hate is lack of options in dialogue. There's no neutral option and no, sarcastic prick is not a neutral options. Also numbers on keyboard work while choosing a line.

So far it's pretty decent game. I like it better than Origins, but Origins felt more addicting and special. I think Origins is a better game and this game I will treat as a spin-off.

Now I need to figure out how to unlock all this shit I've earned.

Man, meeting
Alistair in Act 3 was fantastic. He was just as I remembered him.

Some great quotes from there:
Or his exchange with Anders:

Anders: "Weren't you a Grey Warden?"
Alistair: "That's the rumor. Weren't you..?"
Anders: "That's the rumor."

Bann Teagan: "We won't let the Orlesians swoop down on us."
Alistair: "We won't. Swooping is bad."

BT: "The Hero of Ferelden will have arrived in Denerim by now, Your Majesty."
A: "Why do you people keep calling him that? He has a name, you know!"

I wasn't sure if I'd imported my Witch Hunt save where my Grey Warden stepped through the Eluvian, or if I imported the other. I'm not sure which I'd even consider 'canon', but apparently I've imported the latter. Fine by me.

Unless Witch Hunt doesn't import. :p

I came upon a dragon in a cave on the wounded coast he was guarding piles of gold. I think to myself oh man I'm gonna get some cool stuff but alas the Dragon dropped 12 silver and his treasure pile contained yet more junk and some more silver.

I cheated in a bunch of gold and bought the Cold-Blooded staff from the vendor on the Coast and I'll pretend that's my reward.

This was a problem in Origins as well. Why is all the awesome equipment bought in shops? Why is there zero reward for exploring? Why even bother opening locked chests when all that's ever inside is garbage that I don't need.

Unlocking a complex chest only to find torn trousers is lame as hell.

Erasus

subversus said:
Now I need to figure out how to unlock all this shit I've earned.

Most of the stuff is in
your house in lowtown, black emporium is a letter there and EQ is in a chest

TigerUppercut said:
I came upon a dragon in a cave on the wounded coast he was guarding piles of gold. I think to myself oh man I'm gonna get some cool stuff but alas the Dragon dropped 12 silver and his treasure pile contained yet more junk and some more silver.

I cheated in a bunch of gold and bought the Cold-Blooded staff from the vendor on the Coast and I'll pretend that's my reward.

This was a problem in Origins as well. Why is all the awesome equipment bought in shops? Why is there zero reward for exploring? Why even bother opening locked chests when all that's ever inside is garbage that I don't need.

Unlocking a complex chest only to find torn trousers is lame as hell.

There's a master chest in
High Town by Fenris' house that is off the map.
My verric wasn't leveled high enough to ever unlock it though:/ Anyone know what is inside? It's the only master chest I saw in the entire game.

Deadly

Blue Ninja said:
Man, meeting
Alistair in Act 3 was fantastic. He was just as I remembered him.
I totally missed this quest! I think
my DA:O had Anora get the throne
. How do you know about your game save and what it imports? I saw someone's screenshot that listed everything in-game.
EDIT: nevermind. Didn't see the plot summary button the first time around.

Stallion Free said:
How can I ensure that
Allistair
shows up in DA2? I'm currently working my way through DA1.
As far as I can tell,
if he's king at the ending of Dragon Age 1, he'll show up. Not sure if he will otherwise.

Kyoufu

Just came across an encounter I wasn't expecting. I was all by myself (nobody in my party) as a Rogue against 9 or so dwarves. Outnumbered. Managed to win by using Assassinate on a target to one-shot them, then Stealth away to reset the fight. Rinse and repeat lol

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just finished it, man I loved it. Really hope there is a part 3 or at least an awakening style expansion.

Great game!

BoboBrazil said:
There's a master chest in
High Town by Fenris' house that is off the map.
My verric wasn't leveled high enough to ever unlock it though:/ Anyone know what is inside? It's the only master chest I saw in the entire game.

Judging by every other chest I've opened something that's not worth the effort.

Grisby

So who all shows up from the original DA? I've ran into
Alister and Zevran
but haven't seen anyone else. The import save thing is a joke though, not nearly as awesome as Mass Effect.

Deadly

Stallion Free said:
How can I ensure that
Allistair
shows up in DA2? I'm currently working my way through DA1.
If he's
not king at the end and not a drunk either
he will still show up near the end of DA2, if you did certain things correctly in DA2.

Grisby said:
So who all shows up from the original DA? I've ran into
Alister and Zevran
but haven't seen anyone else. The import save thing is a joke though, not nearly as awesome as Mass Effect.

Leliana
is the only other one I'm aware of, and this person shows up twice. The first time I believe you need to have the DLC character since it's one of his side missions (I think). Other time is near the end.

Salaadin

AlStrong said:
This one you complete by walking all over the map to trigger the enemies to appear. You complete this once you kill everyone, so just keep walking into every nook and cranny.

Ill give that a shot. I thought killing everyone is what initiates the quest....at least thats how the others worked.

And whats with the Merril companion quest in Act 3:
I go through this Sundermount trek with her hoping she will finally see that what shes doing is wrong. We get up there and keeper Marethari has to be killed. Doing that forces me into wiping out Merrils entire clan. Ok, done.

Completing this unlocks "Questioning Beliefs" for Merril. I walk into her home here and the first thing she says is "What are you doing here, did Keeper Marethari put you up to this?". Keeper Marethari is dead, Merril. You killed her 5 minutes ago.

Then she begins rambling about the mirror again and saving her clan as if she learned absolutely nothing about what just happened. She doesnt even acknowledge the fact that what she just did was wrong and her entire clan is dead because of it. It almost feels like "Questioning Beliefs" was supposed to come before the death of Marethari.

And then she gets pissy with me, says she never wants to talk to me again, and kicks me out of her house. I turn around and walk back in and try talking to her. She yells at me, right? Nope.

"Ive been here 9 years and I still cant fix the holes in this roof!!"

Ok, Merril.

Gvaz

Banned
Is anyone else part way through the game and just not feeling it?

It feels like as if KOTOR got more responsive feeling combat but with a piss-poor story.

At least the character interactions are getting slightly better, the overreaching story is getting less noticeable.

Also I did Hard through all of act 1, so I turned it to casual for trash mobs and I'll bump it to hard for boss fights. Bleh.

Deadly

Basileus777 said:
Merrill's act 3 quests/conversations are bugged to hell.
The ending itself is bugged in terms of the romance aspects.
Whoever you have sex with first is the one mentioned in the ending. So since I slept with Isabella first and then romanced Merrill for the rest of the game yet there was no single mention of her in the ending.

Deadly said:
The ending itself is bugged in terms of the romance aspects.
Whoever you have sex with first is the one mentioned in the ending. So since I slept with Isabella first and then romanced Merrill for the rest of the game yet there was no single mention of her in the ending.

I had sex with
Isabella and then had Anders move in with me and they mentioned Anders. Never got the sex with Merrill though, despite how much I flirted:/

Pollux

Gvaz said:
Is anyone else part way through the game and just not feeling it?

It feels like as if KOTOR got more responsive feeling combat but with a piss-poor story.

At least the character interactions are getting slightly better, the overreaching story is getting less noticeable.

Also I did Hard through all of act 1, so I turned it to casual for trash mobs and I'll bump it to hard for boss fights. Bleh.

Honestly I feel like DA2 just pulled a KOTOR with Hawke pulling a Revan/Exile.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lol so people have told me that they
Allistair
only shows up if he was
king
and only if he wasn't. Does anyone have like a final say on which of these two is right or if they are both right?

Top Bottom