• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Xevren

FINALBOSS said:
Yesterday I was picking my guys to enter
The Fade
:

Fenris: "I will definitely go with you"
Merrill: "I'd love to see this ritual! Please pick me"

/add Fenris to team
/add Merrill to team

Fenris - Rivalry +10
Merrill - Rivalry +10

Me: What the fuck just happened?

You should be able to talk to them after the quest is over where they reside to pretty much get it back unless you act like a dick to them.

Zeliard

FINALBOSS said:
The Fade
:

/add Fenris to team
/add Merrill to team

Fenris - Rivalry +10
Merrill - Rivalry +10

Haha, could be that Fenris and Merrill have a rivalry with each other. Might not have happened if you picked just one of the two, but I dunno.

Grisby

FINALBOSS said:
The Fade
:

/add Fenris to team
/add Merrill to team

Fenris - Rivalry +10
Merrill - Rivalry +10

I actually said, "What? Wait. That can't be right."

FINALBOSS said:
The Fade
:

/add Fenris to team
/add Merrill to team

Fenris - Rivalry +10
Merrill - Rivalry +10

:lol...awesome

Well some guys on here said that
you have to fight your party members in the fade, but I didn't I think my team was Anders, Merrill, and Verric. I didn't complete the sword finding thing and I don't think I've even met Sebastian so apparently I missed out on those things???

BoboBrazil said:
Well some guys on here said that
you have to fight your party members in the fade, but I didn't I think my team was Anders, Merrill, and Verric. I didn't complete the sword finding thing and I don't think I've even met Sebastian so apparently I missed out on those things???

Maybe it depends on who you take and what you say. I took Anders, Verric and Isabela and had to fight the latter two. I know you don't have to fight Anders because he becomes Justice and can't be swayed. I dunno, maybe I'll try different combos if I ever play the game again.

Oh and one thing that really annoyed the hell out of me. Maybe it's a bug, but I could never figure out those floor trap rooms with the saws and the spears. Whenever I walked on the floor I got hurt even if there weren't saws going back and forth. In fact it seemed the best time to walk on the floor was when the saws were actually moving. In the end I just kept ramming the area with the traps and I would eventualy get through.

Vamphuntr

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Maybe it depends on who you take and what you say. I took Anders, Verric and Isabela and had to fight the latter two. I know you don't have to fight Anders because he becomes Justice and can't be swayed. I dunno, maybe I'll try different combos if I ever play the game again.

Whaaaaaaaat you can take people with you? In my game I was sent alone. It was still easy beating the two bosses anyway...

Is Sebastian bugged for anybody else? No matter the frienship/rivalry points he gains his progression bar remains at its neutral position.

Zeliard

Vamphuntr said:
Whaaaaaaaat you can take people with you? In my game I was sent alone. It was still easy beating the two bosses anyway...

Is Sebastian bugged for anybody else? No matter the frienship/rivalry points he gains his progression bar remains at its neutral position.

Did you do his companion quests properly? Because those can definitely get bugged, and that's what may have lead to it.

Salaadin

Zeliard said:
Difficulty settings will play a part as well. Much of the time you spend in the game is in combat - even with the increased speed, there's still a lot of it, since there are a ton of quests and nearly all are completed via combat. So if you're playing on Normal you'll generally be getting through battles much quicker than on the higher difficulties. I'm also not sure if the play-time count continues while battles are paused, which would also add to it.

I did play on Normal. I found the game to be a cakewalk towards the end. Me as a Rogue with fully upgraded Twin Fangs, Backstab, and Assassination was able to make short work of nearly anything. There were times when I almost felt too strong.

I pause a ton though...sometimes every 3 seconds on weaker enemies. Its basically kill-pause-issue command-unpause constantly with every character other than the tank. The Steam counters says I put in 33 hours which isnt too far off from the in game 31.5 hours.

I admit that at the end, I was ready for it to be over so maybe I was rushing it.

Those bastards had a better percentage of killing me than anything else in the entire game. Search them out and put them down quickly.
That pretty much applies to any other caster mob such as Arcane/Frost/whatever Horrors and various flavors of mages like apostates, blood and mercenary or whatever.
Salaadin said:
I did play on Normal. I found the game to be a cakewalk towards the end.
You do spend a lot of time fighting on Hard. Sometimes 10 or 15 minutes depending on the encounter, sometimes restarting it several times as well depending on how stupidly unbalanced it is.

So is it safe to just sell all of the items marked as junk? I tend to hoard stuff in RPG's, but if there's no other use for this stuff, I'd like to get rid of it.

Also, I'm about 13 1/2 hours in and haven't hit the Deep Roads in Act 1 yet. I tend to play slow and be OCD about everything, so I'm sure I'll hit a final playtime of more than 40 hours. Story wise, I kind of miss the pacing and constant external threat from DA:O, but overall it hasn't been too bad. I'm quite enjoying it actually. The characters are kind of bland in the first few hours, but I just met Merrill last night and she's great.

Lostconfused said:
That pretty much applies to any other caster mob such as Arcane/Frost/whatever Horrors and various flavors of mages like apostates, blood and mercenary or whatever.

I didn't have nearly as much problems with those as I did the Qunari mages. I do like to take out mages first, but if I neglected your average blood mage for a few seconds it wasn't a big deal. Neglect those qunari bastards and you could be fucked.

Well there were a couple of arcane horrors that tore me apart, but they were part of a special encounter in the third act.

GillianSeed79 said:
So is it safe to just sell all of the items marked as junk? I tend to hoard stuff in RPG's, but if there's no other use for this stuff, I'd like to get rid of it.

Yeah, you can sell any of that stuff. I hung on to it at first just to be safe, but none of the junk items were ever used. Sell away, not that you'll get much for them though.

Dead

well not really...yet
FINALBOSS said:
The Fade
:

/add Fenris to team
/add Merrill to team

Fenris - Rivalry +10
Merrill - Rivalry +10

This happened to me too, but with Isabella and Merrill

I reloaded my save and it didn't happen the second time...

I didn't have nearly as much problems with those as I did the Qunari mages. I do like to take out mages first, but if I neglected your average blood mage for a few seconds it wasn't a big deal. Neglect those qunari bastards and you could be fucked.

Well there were a couple of arcane horrors that tore me apart, but they were part of a special encounter in the third act.
They are all the same. They use different models but their behavior and abilities are exactly the same.

Dead said:
I reloaded my save and it didn't happen the second time...

I think shuffling your party around causes it. The game mistakenly thinks you've removed them from your party after they asked to come along and gives them rivalry points.

Samara

Ok I just started playing this weekend and---wow the game looks miles better than the first on. PS3 DAO was horrid, but this? Mmmm too good. I've made a lot of enemies tho: WHERE ARE THE GIFTS?!?!

mujun

John Harker said:
I think my biggest issue with the game so far (10 hours in) is that the title completely lacks vision and scope. It's such a small adventure compared to Origins. What you do feels insignificant comparatively to the grand adventure of Origins. Nothing I accomplish feels important to the lore of the world, and that approach even seemed to trickle into the actual game design. The lack of cohesive "feel" of Kirkwall, and the lack of any distinct personality for The Free Marches. The inability to equip armor on your companions. How spread out your companions "Homes" are (no unified camp after all this time playing?). The lack of impact your Side Quests seem to have on the city itself. All the small, confined 'battle areas' - they said we'd have more tactical ability in DA2, but all the fights so far take place in such small corridors it's hard to really take advantage of the terrain.

The lack of compelling narrative force doesn't really makes sense for a high fantasy RPG, especially after the bar set for DAO. But hey, the graphics are a million times better (Xbox version)

I don't really care about the fact it's such a small scope, that's just because I can't remember what the first game was about, though. Really found it a slog to get through. I do agree though, at six hours in I feel like I'm just running trivial errands and the like.

I think your comment about the lack of a cohesive feel to Kirkwall is along the same lines as mine. I don't mind the look of each individual area though I do agree they are too samey as places to have fights. If it was one seamless world, this would, imo, solve the problem. They would be able to have nice open areas to wander through. It definitely doesn't feel like a "real" city. Any chance of feeling that goes out the window every time I have to exit to the map and choose my destination.

I might end up 180ing on the game if the actual meat of the quests doesn't hold my attention, so far the stuff I'm doing (Gamlen stuff, Avelline stuff) is interesting enough for me to overlook the fact that the "city" I'm in is more like a dungeon with artificial warp points.

Zeliard said:
The fast travel system is one of the larger mistakes they made in the game. Setting it mostly in one city wouldn't have been as big a deal if you didn't travel throughout it in a way that doesn't make it at all feel like a city. And that also compounds and is compounded by the fact that they re-use the same areas so many times, trying to disguise them simply by having you enter the same zones from different entrances. Instead of serving to make the setting feel more intimate (which was presumably one of their goals), it makes it feel smaller and far more limited in scope.

Even then, I don't really think the city design is that imaginative regardless. I mean, Hightown, Lowtown? With both having the cliched characteristics and general architecture you'd expect out of places with those names? It's just not very inspired. Only points in the city I found at all eye-grabbing were the Gallows and the Dock, but only before you've seen them so many times.

I agree with what you say about it not being imaginative in the ways you detailed. I do really like the way it looks on the map though and think that it would have been cool to be able to walk through it as an open world. Lowtown with a Venice look to it, Darktown could have been constantly shadowed by the massive cliff it's under and the views of the bay would have made walking around Hightown nice.

Trouble

Banned
GOD DAMN IT!! I hit the bug in Fenris' Act II companion quest (Bitter Pill). I ented the
cave
without him, couldn't leave went to the end and
killed Hadriana
. Tried going back with Fenris, but it won't let me complete. I have to revert to a save losing an hour of game time. Honestly so disgusted right now I'm going to have to give this game a break for a while.

Been staying out of this thread, as I like to avoid inadvertent spoilering and know as little as possible before playing RPGs.

Dead

well not really...yet
Trouble said:
GOD DAMN IT!! I hit the bug in Fenris' Act II companion quest (Bitter Pill). I ented the
cave
killed Hadriana
. Tried going back with Fenris, but it won't let me complete. I have to revert to a save losing an hour of game time. Honestly so disgusted right now I'm going to have to give this game a break for a while.

Been staying out of this thread, as I like to avoid inadvertent spoilering and know as little as possible before playing RPGs.
Oh man, this happened to me as well. I had to redo an hours worth of stuff before redoing that quest due not saving before hand

Durante

Oh god those spawns can be annoying on Nightmare. Half of the though battles end up with me running my party from one corner of the room to the other, getting AoEs off on the chasing enemies.

Alright, this is going to sound pathetic and maybe a little stupid, but when I completed
"All That Remains"
I called my
mom
to tell her I loved her. Not even kidding. As heavy-handed as all the family relationship stuff has been so far, I responded pretty strongly to that one quest. For that alone, this game was probably worth it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I thought the dude was the same guy that I let off the hook a little earlier, so I basically thought I'd been Uncle Ben'd. Doesn't change the fact that an incident with my fake family reminded me to appreciate my real family though.

MechaX

Holy fucking shit at the Abandoned Thaig in Act 2.

Everything is going fine fighting some fodder enemies in this assumingly unmarked quest. But then I get to the center room and I swear, every demon type all of a sudden wants a Hawke sandwich. After about what, Wave 3/4, my party just got absolutely overwhelmed. I really hope the reward for this nonsense is decent.

Zeliard

The enemy mages are at least weak to physical attacks and don't have much health, so they can be removed from the equation quickly enough, along with the archers. The enemies I find more frustrating to fight are the ones who generally aren't tough for any particular reason other than having huge health bars, and where status-changing effects don't always work, so it's more a matter of whittling their health down while hoping your pots and healing spells cool down in timely fashion.

Durante said:
Oh god those spawns can be annoying on Nightmare. Half of the though battles end up with me running my party from one corner of the room to the other, getting AoEs off on the chasing enemies.

First thing I do in every battle on Nightmare is take my entire party and move them to a location where I can try to sort of funnel the mobs through one section at a time and own them, taking into account the possible locations where others will spawn in.

One thing I like doing is using Merrill's Ensnare ability to pull a bunch of mobs together, moving her out of the way if I have to and then unleashing an AOE spell with my other mage.

Mileena

Banned
stryker1138 said:
Alright, this is going to sound pathetic and maybe a little stupid, but when I completed
"All That Remains"
I called my
mom
to tell her I loved her. Not even kidding. As heavy-handed as all the family relationship stuff has been so far, I responded pretty strongly to that one quest. For that alone, this game was probably worth it.
:lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Lostconfused said:
They are all the same. They use different models but their behavior and abilities are exactly the same.

The Quanari are the only ones who have an exploding thunder sphere that kills eveyone in 1 hit. At least, I did not see it before and have not seen it since.

dhBOV.jpg

JoeBoy101

Trouble said:
cave
killed Hadriana

Better than the Merrill quest bug. If you romance her in Act 2, in the beginning of Act 3 she spoils her whole story arc when you go see her because it plays a cutscene from the end of her companion mission. Really irritating.

_tetsuo_ said:
The Quanari are the only ones who have an exploding thunder sphere that kills eveyone in 1 hit. At least, I did not see it before and have not seen it since.

Definitely. Some bosses use something similar, but the qunari mages are the only regular enemies that do this. Human/elven mages do not.

Trouble

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
Better than the Merrill quest bug. If you romance her in Act 2, in the beginning of Act 3 she spoils her whole story arc when you go see her because it plays a cutscene from the end of her companion mission. Really irritating.
Strangely that was one of the things I did in that lost hour. *sigh* Do I really need to go read up on all the quest bugs and spoil the game in order to get through this?

I just may shelf this game until these bugs get patched out.

_tetsuo_ said:
Maybe the visual effects are different but all mages have an AoE ability that can one shot your party.

Edgeward

Fuck, on Hard some of these encounters are way harder since mages aren't as good as healers anymore plus the cooldown times on potion don't help either.

This game loves throwing in archers all around the perimeter as a second wave, even adding a third wave of some encounters too. And now assassins/hunters are annoying as hell too, can even give tanks a hard time. Dragons seem way harder to keep the attention on the tank now too, even when just focusing on spamming taunt they like to turn their attention on my other party. =(

Those spiders with the ranged attack that can stun you are such a pain on nightmare. If they hit my rogues or mages once, they can keep chaining it and make it impossible to escape.

Van Buren

Completed my first playthrough, on nightmare, and I thought I'd share my non-spoiler thoughts on the game. Bland and mediocre would be the words I would use to reflect on the game.

Combat & Encounters: An exercise in frustration and an exercise in patience. Frustration, since the mid-battle spawns can frequently seem unfair on nightmare. More often than not, all carefully laid tactical plans go awry due to spawns of rogues and mages, which can cause wipes because of the longish cooldowns on crowd-control spells. It's also an exercise in patience, since wiping constantly is the only way to know the number and composition of the waves. After this, most fights became exercises in tedium where I completely stopped dps on the mobs while my cooldowns were refreshing, since I didn't want to trigger the next wave unprepared.

Was as pleasurable as a root canal, truth be told. The number of spawns in a battle seem at odds with the high amount of downtime for any class. The combat system would have been much better if the game was balanced around shorter cooldowns on abilities ( so that I'm just not whittling away the health of mobs with autoattacks ) and fights with no respawns, but consisting of enemies that are significant threats on their own. The fodder enemies seem a misguided attempt to artificially pad up the length of the game.

Side quests: They were about as appealing as grinding away in an mmorpg. Every single side quest has some combat component to it. Hoping to smooth-talk your way out of battles ? You're out of luck most of the time, since choosing pacifist options still leads to unavoidable fights. At this point, I'd go on record and say WoW has more involving quests, and that's a decidedly low benchmark. Companion sidequests had a bit more effort put into them; Aveline's, in particular, was a funny concept marred by having to murder 50+ mobs for the shallowest of excuses.

Story: A narrated story with time skips - an interesting concept, but one that Bioware has been unable to execute well. Seeing as the entire game is Varric's retelling of Hawke's story, it makes no sense why the game was designed the way it was. If I were a narrator, I would not go into detail on how Hawke scrounged up 50g, or how Hawke undertook tons of meaningless sidequests. These are the things I would summarize. Inexplicably, Varric goes into great detail how Hawke grinded the sidequests away, while summarizing the events that happened after the grind was done. ' Show, don't tell' applies to Varric's narration for the potentially interesting story bits.

Bioware should have designed the side quests and story for the entire game based on what a narrator would focus on. Grind-heavy quests with little to no emotional stakes make poor choices for a narrator to talk about. Bioware could have done so much more if the side quests had political/social/emotional context to it, which would make sense as to why Varric is narrating those quests, and also why we are then playing those quests. As it stands, Bioware designed the sidequest stories as if they were a part of a typical story, and not a narrated one.

The main story that's in the game is spread too thin, and lacks any hook for Hawke for the most part. One of my wishes for DA2 was an atypical (non-epic) and interesting story. Bioware certainly made an atypical story, but forgot to make it interesting. And also, Bioware, it's hardly a personal story either. A personal story could have been one where Hawke wrests political control through juggling with the various factions around Kirkwall in an intelligent manner. Instead, the story seems to exist as an excuse to see more enemies hilariously exploding into their constituent parts from a single arrow.

Writing: Uneven at best, and that's putting it mildly. Companions frequently spout awkward dialog, which seems to be written for more contemporary times, and not the medieval time period that DA2 is set in. The writing is also illogical a lot of times, due to how it disregards events from the previous game, and from previous acts as well. There is a lot of corny melodrama which wouldn't seem out of place in a poorly-written and poorly-translated JRPG. Don't even get me started on the romance writing.

Conversation wheel: What is the point to this ? Minimize reading ? But then a lot of the background information for the companions and the events around the world are tucked away in the codex, which involves reading. Is the wheel meant to make the dialog flow naturally then ? It fails at this as well, since most responses seem to last a sentence or two at most. Alpha Protocol showed how a conversation wheel works, by having full-blown multi-sentence responses that capture the back-and-forth feeling of a conversation. Over here, it feels like I'm digging for information with mildly-different responses that lead to the same conclusion despite the choice I pick. The illusion of choice rears its ugly head again, and it's compounded by the fact that there are 3 choices to pick at most !

Companions: Varric and Aveline stood out. Varric, for his whole unreliable narrator thing, where he always seems to have the perfect quip for every situation, and Aveline, for being the most believable companion, with her awkward nature being captured well by the writing. Anders, and Merrill, though, were stupid nutjobs lacking common sense. A special mention has to be made for Fenris, with his ridiculous looking appearance and angst-driven 'I'm a tortured soul' personality; a likely candidate for a square enix protagonist ?

Overall, I preferred the companions from Origins, though Varric and Aveline deserve to be a part of a better game than this one.

Conclusion Somehow, Bioware has injected the worst parts of Mass Effect 1 (repetitive side quests) and Mass Effect 2 (a largely absent main story, repetitive combat encounters, and illogical writing/retcons) into a franchise that didn't need it. A real pity, since I thought DA:O was Bioware's best effort since BG2. For any experienced CRPG gamer on the fence about purchasing the game, I'd suggest waiting to nab it at bargain prices or waiting for the ultimate edition. Besides, if DA2 is any indication, there are two years before the next one, and a price drop is bound to happen before then.

FINALBOSS said:
The Fade
:

/add Fenris to team
/add Merrill to team

Fenris - Rivalry +10
Merrill - Rivalry +10

I believe that would have happened if you
agreed to kill Feynriel if the situation called for it

EekTheKat

Deadly said:
When you
take the templars side
why do you even have to fight
Meredith
? It doesn't make much sense...

On my ending it made sense to some degree,
the idol of craziness basically drove Meredith mad and she was going completely bonkers at the end. They don't go into the details of the idol very well but they did make the effects of owning the thing very clear.

I think in my playthrough Meredith actually dials up the crazies up to 111 years after the expedition, so it's safe to assume at some point Bartrand did sell her the idol.

I was actually kind of shocked by mine
so many choices I made earlier in the game actually came back and had a pretty large impact in the game world. Now I'm really curious as to how it'll play through had I made different choices.

Not to detour too much but, the pseudo fourth wall breaking moment got a laugh from me
when King Alastair meets Isabela, he mentions that she looks different. Isabela replied with something like "yes...don't we all."

I took it as a reference to both of them getting upgraded models for DA2 vs. their original DA selves.

Also confronting
Isabela in the hanged man after she turns on you in the fade had a couple great lines.

Pollux

EekTheKat said:
[/spoiler]

Not to detour too much but, the pseudo fourth wall breaking moment got a laugh from me
when King Alastair meets Isabela, he mentions that she looks different. Isabela replied with something like "yes...don't we all."

Also confronting
Isabela in the hanged man after she turns on you in the fade had a couple great lines.

hold up, was
Isabela in DAO?

EekTheKat

The
spell resist abilities
helped a lot in those mage fights.

That and having a rogue in your party.

Rogues were kind of ridiculous in this game
Isabela was basically a killing machine between her duelist/pirate talents that bolster her defense and a fully buffed backstab.

Pair that up with the rogue power regen talent and things were just disintegrating in front of her. In the last half of the game I'd just cast haste, switch to Isabela, and proceed to turn mages into hamburger.

zmoney said:
hold up, was
Isabela in DAO?

She was in the brothel in Denerim and taught you the duelist specialization. She could also have a threesome or even foursome with the PC, Zevran, Alistair, and Leliana.

Almighty

Basileus777 said:
She was in the brothel in Denerim and taught you the duelist specialization. She could also have a threesome or even foursome with the PC, Zevran, Alistair, and Leliana.

Damn I did not know this. I am playing DA right now so now I might have to try this for laughs.

EekTheKat

fizzelopeguss said:
The threesome chick iirc.

Yup, also
her intro in DA:O was almost exactly the same as DA:2, where she's sitting at a bar drinking and 3 guys pick a fight with her

I hope they keep this gag going for the next game.

Top Bottom