• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

MrDaravon

Mister_Bubbles said:
36 hours played and I'm still in Act 1, heh... though I am a 'read all the codex entries, poke around every map detail' kinda player. Glad to be getting a lot of game time in after all the 'Only took me 18 hours' testimonials, been enjoying every aspect apart from the shitty recycled maps.

Oh, and the Arishok is the fuckin' bawss.

I literally do not understand how this is possible. I did every possible thing in Act 1, read every Codex entry, and even double-checked the guide to make sure I had done everything humanly possible, and Act 1 only took me about 13-14 hours.

Zeal

Banned
i have a question for those who completed the game. this part isn't the ending of the game, but it is probably 20 or so hours in. it's in regards to a choice.

once you're in the fade, if you choose to side with the demon and allow him to possess the boy, he will offer you magic, power, or some other choice. i was a mage and chose magic, or the power to harness the Fade or whatever, but wasn't able to complete it due to my party being too high level to defeat (lol) and ended up having to kill him instead. anyway, does he actually go through with the bargain? do you get anything cool? thanks.

I'm trying so hard to like this game but things just keep pulling me back, and sorry if this has been mentioned numerous times, but am I right in assuming there are no finishes like in DA:O?, It's starting to become quite ridiculous constantly swinging my sword at enemies and watching them fall into neat little piles... all their limbs just magically detach, it doesn't even look violent just stupid >.<
Traveling back and forth between the same areas all the time, I can't sit and play for long because of this, just gets boring.
I really want to finish it though as the conversations can be fun, I enjoy the characters the music, a lot of what it offers is really good, but right now it's starting to feel rather punishing to move forward.

So I finished the game. I don't know how exactly I feel. I many ways it's a pretty terrible sequel to a really good game. Character interaction is weak as the the actual world. In some way I like what it did, but many of the things are terrible executed. It's nice that it's a more personal story set in 1 area, but the area is awfully realized. And some of the game is pretty hilarious. The final fantasy final battle. I don't know how I feel. I kind of liked it, but I didn't really like a lot of it. A lot of it is pretty bad, but some of it is still decent.

It's not really what I'd call a good game at the end of the day though and really it doesent deserve high scores.

eek5

Zeal said:
i have a question for those who completed the game. this part isn't the ending of the game, but it is probably 20 or so hours in. it's in regards to a choice.

once you're in the fade, if you choose to side with the demon and allow him to possess the boy, he will offer you magic, power, or some other choice. i was a mage and chose magic, or the power to harness the Fade or whatever, but wasn't able to complete it due to my party being too high level to defeat (lol) and ended up having to kill him instead. anyway, does he actually go through with the bargain? do you get anything cool? thanks.

power - 6 attribute points
knowledge - 1 talent/spell
magic - 2 unique runes that offer magic resistance

Zeal

Banned
eek5 said:
power - 6 attribute points
knowledge - 1 talent/spell
magic - 2 unique runes that offer magic resistance

thanks, thought the rewards would be a lot cooler. glad i didn't bother.

MrDaravon

bubnbob said:
I guess its easier to do things when you have a book telling you what to do and where to go. Way to enjoy the game.

If that's a response to my post, I only used the guide to make sure I didn't miss any quests (which I don't think I did in Act 1), so that cut down zero playtime sorry.

Anybody else realize how so many significant characters in the story have yellow eyes?

My theory is this: The color of the eyes represents which color or flight (think WoW) they are when in dragon form. When is dragon form active? When they go through the mirror. This would truly be the Age of Dragons.

I've cracked the code.

Rahxephon91 said:
So I finished the game. I don't know how exactly I feel. I many ways it's a pretty terrible sequel to a really good game. Character interaction is weak as the the actual world. In some way I like what it did, but many of the things are terrible executed. It's nice that it's a more personal story set in 1 area, but the area is awfully realized. And some of the game is pretty hilarious. The final fantasy final battle. I don't know how I feel. I kind of liked it, but I didn't really like a lot of it. A lot of it is pretty bad, but some of it is still decent.

It's not really what I'd call a good game at the end of the day though and really it doesent deserve high scores.

I agree. I actually enjoyed the combat and the skill trees and building my characters and such, but all the RPG elements of this RPG suck ass. The story is muddled, the pacing sucks and the ratio of interesting main quest to sidequests is about 80:20, but it's still fun to play. It's fun for all the wrong reasons though, and I got so tired of visiting the same 5 side dungeons and traversing the same 10 subzones of Kirkwall, Sundermount and the Wounded Coast. I didn't care about any of my companions or their side stories either.

mujun

Kyoufu said:
I loved the first and I'm enjoying this one too.

I think its because of all the bad media and attention it has gotten and the horrible demo I went in with zero expectations, coming out pleasantly surprised.

It is nowhere as good as DA:O but still enjoyable for me, flawed or not.

Seems like they knew they wouldn't have enough time to develop this game so they just went ahead with recycled areas and dungeons :(

They definitely cut some corners. The more I think about it the more I wish that they'd made Kirkwall a fully explorable city.

ProtoCents said:
Anybody else realize how so many significant characters in the story have yellow eyes?

My theory is this: The color of the eyes represents which color or flight (think WoW) they are when in dragon form. When is dragon form active? When they go through the mirror. This would truly be the Age of Dragons.

I've cracked the code.

I saw a lot pf people with pink eye in ME1.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
mujun said:
They definitely cut some corners. The more I think about it the more I wish that they'd made Kirkwall a fully explorable city.

Ehh I mean I guess that would have been interesting but Im cool with the layout and format of Kirkwall as it is, I'd much rather they had invested time into altering the city and surrounding locals as time passed and have some of your actions effect the actual landscape and help open up new areas to explore. Making the whole city seamless wouldnt have done too much for me, its cool at the beginning but unless they still had the option to fast travel it becomes a chore getting around from place to place.

But really the lack of change and recycling of areas didnt both me all that much. For me it was more of "this is holding the game back from being great" rather than "this makes the game shit" like a lot of other people are making it out to be. I mean at least all the areas have a pretty good amount of detail and atmosphere to them unlike ME1 where the bunkers and bases were just empty rooms with the occasional box heres and there.

Though I dont see how it would have been too much trouble to have made more areas, like say two for every type, I cant see the smaller areas like the mines and such taking up that long to make. It would have really gone a long way to have had two different versions for each area, then factor in their fancy tactic of altering where you entered those areas and what parts were open and closed off I think people really wouldnt have cared much at all that some areas were reused a few times.

jackdoe

Just finished Act 1. God damnit
That Rock Wraith fight was the biggest load of crock in the world. Not only did it have godly HP, Isabela's AI just glitched out so she would do nothing. Which led to half my party dying. And forced me to just run around while doing damage and staying out of reach. Hopefully the later bosses aren't as poorly designed

eek5

jackdoe said:
Just finished Act 1. God damnit
That Rock Wraith fight was the biggest load of crock in the world. Not only did it have godly HP, Isabela's AI just glitched out so she would do nothing. Which led to half my party dying. And forced me to just run around while doing damage and staying out of reach. Hopefully the later bosses aren't as poorly designed
I noticed that my melee companions will sometimes just stand around doing nothing when I'm fighting a boss that moves around a lot. :/ It doesn't get any better...

Enduin said:
Ehh I mean I guess that would have been interesting but Im cool with the layout and format of Kirkwall as it is, I'd much rather they had invested time into altering the city and surrounding locals as time passed and have some of your actions effect the actual landscape and help open up new areas to explore. Making the whole city seamless wouldnt have done too much for me, its cool at the beginning but unless they still had the option to fast travel it becomes a chore getting around from place to place.

But really the lack of change and recycling of areas didnt both me all that much. For me it was more of "this is holding the game back from being great" rather than "this makes the game shit" like a lot of other people are making it out to be. I mean at least all the areas have a pretty good amount of detail and atmosphere to them unlike ME1 where the bunkers and bases were just empty rooms with the occasional box heres and there.

Though I dont see how it would have been too much trouble to have made more areas, like say two for every type, I cant see the smaller areas like the mines and such taking up that long to make. It would have really gone a long way to have had two different versions for each area, then factor in their fancy tactic of altering where you entered those areas and what parts were open and closed off I think people really wouldnt have cared much at all that some areas were reused a few times.
I agree. I don't mind the "world" overview to jump around the city but it felt like the whole story took place in four corners of the city rather than an actual city to me. I mean, I think there are like 6+ quests that take place in the warehouse. At one point in the game varric even jokes
that the owner of the warehouse might be making a fortune
. It was hard not to laugh but it annoyed me because it would've probably been trivial for them to design different caves/interiors. I wouldn't even care about reused textures but using the exact same dungeons just rubs me the wrong way.

Footos22

26 hours in, and just finished up the sidequests in act 2.

Its not a fantastic game but its got that one more quest mentality which i enjoy. Even if the locations are just the same as before with sections sealed off.

Really its 23 hours,

But after doing Sebastians repentance quest and him being locked in my team and having no saves before this quest started i had to revert back to the beginning of the act so 4 hours of play time went down the swanny. Oh well better to lose 4 hours then 16

Deleted all the saves to do with his quest, reloaded the good save which should of said 16 hours and somehow it was at 21. Dunno wtf happened there. But im back to where i was now so its all good!

Im really enjoying this. Fuck the haters.

My mage pretty much nukes the battlefield and it looks glorious.
Suprised how smoothly it runs. I havent had no slowdown (PS3)

Anyway i have saved it before i attempt to do Sebastians quest again.

Im not getting screwed over this time.

Kattbuss

So do you ever get more quests other than Sebastians from the Chantry board?
I also did a quest for some woman at the docks and she told me to check the back of the board for more quests but I can't see any. I'm at Act 2 at the moment.

Finished it, clocking in at 45 hours. The endgame was, in my opinion, pretty well done, even though
it's pretty much a huge setup for Dragon Age III, and the first song in the credits unpleasantly reminded me of some current unpleasantness in my life :lol
. I wouldn't have minded seeing what happened after the ending, but I figure we'll have DLC for that.

Leliana saying both the Warden and the Champion disappearing is 'no coincidence' got me intrigued. Very intrigued.

AmandaMatricks said:
So do you ever get more quests other than Sebastians from the Chantry board?
I also did a quest for some woman at the docks and she told me to check the back of the board for more quests but I can't see any. I'm at Act 2 at the moment.
She means her own board, not the Chantry board. The board is next to her in the Docks. :)

Kurtofan

WTF is wrong with this game?
I got black screens all the fucking time(xbox360)
The game goes on but it is cut off by black screens for no reason.

Kattbuss

Blue Ninja said:
Finished it, clocking in at 45 hours. The endgame was, in my opinion, pretty well done, even though
it's pretty much a huge setup for Dragon Age III, and the first song in the credits unpleasantly reminded me of some current unpleasantness in my life :lol
. I wouldn't have minded seeing what happened after the ending, but I figure we'll have DLC for that.

Leliana saying both the Warden and the Champion disappearing is 'no coincidence' got me intrigued. Very intrigued.

She means her own board, not the Chantry board. The board is next to her in the Docks. :)

Ah, I guess I didn't look there. Thanks, man! More side-quests for me :)

Visceir

Question about Anders and the ending

is it possible to get rid of Anders somehow? I remember him asking me if I'd rather have him leave and would he still show up in the end if I did get rid of him? How would the ending play out?

Finished it a few hours ago. Even though I was underwhelmed for a multitude of reasons already listed repeatedly in this thread I still found myself enjoying it for the most part. The hallmarks of a rushed product are prevalent, so I can't say I'm surprised when I read the semi-official confirmation of that fact by the composer.

I'm 3-4 hours into Act II, haven't advanced the main quest line at all. Quick question, is it easy to miss out on the companion quests? I stumbled upon the one involving Fenris, just want to make sure I don't miss any of them. Thanks.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
fizzelopeguss said:
dhBOV.jpg

perfect

Darklord

Banned
I'm just shy of 3 hours into the game so far. I'm actually liking it. It's not as good as Origins but it's still a fun game. Combat feels better, the armour and weapons look nicer and I like the banter between the characters.

Is there a point(or area) in the game where you get to 1 on 1 chat with companions? Like the Normandy in ME and the camp site in Origins.

Hixx

Darklord said:
I'm just shy of 3 hours into the game so far. I'm actually liking it. It's not as good as Origins but it's still a fun game. Combat feels better, the armour and weapons look nicer and I like the banter between the characters.

Is there a point(or area) in the game where you get to 1 on 1 chat with companions? Like the Normandy in ME and the camp site in Origins.

There are companion quests which act a bit like that at times, but nothing like the Normandy or Camp unfortunately. Unless it changes (a bit into Act II, so far).

Interfectum

Beat the game over the weekend... it was even shittier than I could have imagined. The recycled maps and the horrid fucking story are the worst aspects of this game by far. I felt like I was playing a game aimed at 14 year olds.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. :\

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Interfectum said:
Beat the game over the weekend... it was even shittier than I could have imagined.

Isn't it was obvious from the beginning? Why bother with finishing it then?

lol

-NeoTB1-

I see all this whining about how crappy the game is, yet these same people seem to torture themselves and finish the game. So my question is.... why? If I'm playing a game that I think is so bad, I sure as hell don't waste my time and play all the way through.

Note - I have yet to play DA2, so I can't comment on any specific concerns people seem to have with it.

Interfectum

Um, because it's Bioware? I've played every single Bioware game from start to finish and I had hoped that, by the end, there would be something that I could grab on to and be like "that was awesome." There was nothing. Shit, I even enjoyed Jade Empire over this nonsense.

At least I have The Witcher 2 coming to get the shit mountain taste out of my mouth.

Darklord

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
There are companion quests which act a bit like that at times, but nothing like the Normandy or Camp unfortunately. Unless it changes (a bit into Act II, so far).

Ok, that is really disappointing then. My favorite parts of an RPG is the dialog. In DA:O or ME I'd always want to get to the next dialog to finfd out more about the characters and their past.

DaBuddaDa

SailorDaravon said:
I literally do not understand how this is possible. I did every possible thing in Act 1, read every Codex entry, and even double-checked the guide to make sure I had done everything humanly possible, and Act 1 only took me about 13-14 hours.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. People really like to exaggerate
lie
about their play times, as if a ridiculously long play time is going to garner attention, awe or praise.

Salaadin

DaBuddaDa said:
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. People really like to exaggerate
lie
about their play times, as if a ridiculously long play time is going to garner attention, awe or praise.

Im not sure thats the case here. I think its just one of those games thats as long as you make it.

mr_toa

My wife dropped in on me this weekend, when I was about an hour into Act 1, she promptly sad down “Hey this looks great!”. She’s a massive fantasy buff, but not much of a gamer (beyond point-click adventures from the Amiga hey days).

I think I’m going back to DA:O to show her, what Bioware set out to accomplish at the start, not the smallish, narrow interlude that DA2 became.

Trickster

Interfectum said:
Beat the game over the weekend... it was even shittier than I could have imagined. The recycled maps and the horrid fucking story are the worst aspects of this game by far. I felt like I was playing a game aimed at 14 year olds.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. :\

LiK said:
28 hours so far and I'm in Act 2 currently.

Sogood.gif

This game has to be the most polarizing game in a long while.

Gvaz

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
lie
I just got to the part of the game where your mom
dies
and this is my current time.

dragonage22011-03-1409q7bp.jpg

I don't bother reading codex entries because they're not really interesting, and I listen to VA, and I have been playing on Hard for the most part (though bumping it down to casual for trash mobs so I'm still having fun)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Darklord said:
Ok, that is really disappointing then. My favorite parts of an RPG is the dialog. In DA:O or ME I'd always want to get to the next dialog to finfd out more about the characters and their past.

There are one on one times, each companion has a number of occasions where you meet them at their respective home base and have a chat with them, some are short and inconsequential yet still entertaining but others provide a good deal of info and insight, especially after their main companion quest. There are also a number of instances outside in the world where a companion will initiate a one on one convo with you. Like for instance taking Fenris with you to the Gallows will spark a decently length convo about mages and Tevinter.

While in the end there might not be as many of these kinds of exchanges as there were in DAO or even ME2 the enormous amount of banter and ambient dialog that occurs you really get a connection to these characters as well as in any other Bioware game. It felt for me much more natural than in DAO or ME series where you could literally hear 3/4 what a character had to say in one sitting and then have nothing to talk to them about for almost the entire game.

Im still quite amazed at the amount of banter in this game, just about every quest and dialog sequence brings forth something from your companions. And the fact that so much of it is in response to events in the game and in the companions own lives really makes things feel natural.

LiK

Trickster said:
This game has to be the most polarizing game in a long while.
The main quests are meh but I LOVE all the companion and sidequests so far. They're fantastic. Curious if haters skipped through the side stuff and only focused on the main plot quests.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Also I'm pleased to see that Isaac's armour has unlocked for all platforms on my account. For a while it was PS3 only, what I got DS2 on.

LiK

Thnikkaman said:
Also I'm pleased to see that Isaac's armour has unlocked for all platforms on my account. For a while it was PS3 only, what I got DS2 on.
Yea it looks cool. Too bad it's so weak. I already moved on to more powerful armor already. I had to retire my Blood Dragon armor too since it doesn't give a complete set bonus like in DAO.

Top Bottom