• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Deadly

EekTheKat said:
On my ending it made sense to some degree,
the idol of craziness basically drove Meredith mad and she was going completely bonkers at the end. They don't go into the details of the idol very well but they did make the effects of owning the thing very clear.

I think in my playthrough Meredith actually dials up the crazies up to 111 years after the expedition, so it's safe to assume at some point Bartrand did sell her the idol.
That happens whether
you chose the templars or mages but I mean if you choose to side with the templars, she just goes on a killing spree killing mages but that's waht you also decided to do. It's the whole point of choosing templar side. On the mage side, she wants to kill us instead of arresting us, does that happen on the templar side too?

EekTheKat

Deadly said:
That happens whether
you chose the templars or mages but I mean if you choose to side with the templars, she just goes on a killing spree killing mages but that's waht you also decided to do. It's the whole point of choosing templar side. On the mage side, she wants to kill us instead of arresting us, does that happen on the templar side too?

Yeah,
in my case, I was a mage that sided with her. She asked me to step outside after I beat down Orsino and wanted to "finish" The Rite of Annulment - which meant basically killing me.

Cullen, believing they were going to arrest me, stepped in and tried to strip her of her command, and that's when she completely flips out.

I'd imagine if I wasn't a mage, she would still go completely mad by the end of the game. There were already pocket groups of resistance against her forming by the end, even among the templars, so it was almost inevitable that she goes nuts.

That bit at the end with Anders was just totally fucked up, so much so that I couldn't stand with the mages even after I helped them quite a bit. Not to mention the reveal with the High Enchanter about Quentin made things even more fucked up.

IIRC, that idol was driving her more and more mad as the game progressed, so it just peaked at the end of the Rites

Acosta

EekTheKat said:
Also confronting
Isabela in the hanged man after she turns on you in the fade had a couple great lines.

hahaha

"I love big ships?" Seriously?

Playing as sarcastic Hawk has been really fun in this game.

Acosta

zmoney said:
hold up, was
Isabela in DAO?

Woah,
I had completely forgot she appeared in the brothel in DAO, and threesome? really? I only remember her destroying me at cards until Zevran mercifully came to tell me she was cheating

EekTheKat

IMHO, the story was sort of in the mold of
the recent Grand Theft Auto games - you start from nothing, make something out of yourself, and things get more and more dark as the game progresses.

I enjoyed it though - it feels like a more "personal" RPG than a lot of games out there. The characters were interesting and charming enough for me to want to play through the game to see the story through.

The
unreliable narrator
made for some nice change of pace moments
Varrick kicking down his brother's door and going John Matrix on a ton of goons was hilarious - especially since in my playthrough he had that ability that allowed Bianca to insta kill and shoot through targets if they're lined up.

Acosta said:
Woah,
I had completely forgot she appeared in the brothel in DAO, and threesome? really? I only remember her destroying me at cards until Zevran mercifully came to tell me she was cheating

You can also become a dualist by fucking her. You have to ask if there's another way to learn other than playing cards, or something like that. Male Warden can bring along Leliana if you've picked certain dialogue options for her (female can bring along Alistair if you've picked certain dialogue options for him) and Zevran can join in regardless.

Gamefly'd this. I was thinking the hate towards this game was overstated, but it's like they literally ripped the RP from the G with this game. Seems way too fast. Spamming A doesn't help. This could change, but it seems like the new shit has taken hold in unsettling ways so far.

EekTheKat

Acosta said:
hahaha

"I love big ships?" Seriously?

Sarcastic FemHawke when she first
walks into the brothel and says something like

"and here we are at the Brothel, well my day is complete."

On my playthrough she would keep making that sly (^.^) face in a lot of conversations.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm having a weird bug. For some reason, my rogue's weapons don't make any noise when they're attacking now. No swipe or contact noises. I quit out of the game and rebooted it as well, and the sounds are still missing.

Any idea why this is happening? This is the 360 SKU btw.

EDIT: ah it happens when I equip a dagger with an electricity rune on it. How annoying.

X-Frame

mik said:
We're twins!

8617668c.png

Need the sliders for this FemHawke please!

Dark Stalkers said:
Am I the only one who got trolled by the elf girl with the deep voice in the brothel?

Nope. I love how they don't give you an option to back out either.

With regards to the Night Terrors Quest
do two of your companions automatically betray you or is there a way to prevent it?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The "All That Remains" quest was really awesome. I've been enjoying the game way more than I expected, Hawke has a ton of great lines. The more subdued main plot hasn't really been an issue for me, if anything it's a nice change of pace though I can understand why people would think otherwise. There's no way to really defend the ME1 copy/paste all over the cave's and inner kirkwall areas, but everything else about the game has been resonating pretty well for me.

mujun

Papercuts said:
The "All That Remains" quest was really awesome. I've been enjoying the game way more than I expected, Hawke has a ton of great lines. The more subdued main plot hasn't really been an issue for me, if anything it's a nice change of pace though I can understand why people would think otherwise. There's no way to really defend the ME1 copy/paste all over the cave's and inner kirkwall areas, but everything else about the game has been resonating pretty well for me.

As a game independent from any other game I think it's a solid job. You know, 8 out of 10 territory type stuff.

Compared to it's older brother it can be quite a different story. Seems that if you didn't really enjoy the first game then you might enjoy this more than others seem to be. On the other hand if you loved the first game then you will probably end up hating this one if the rest of this thread is any indication.

eek5

regarding the ending
i guess it doesn't matter which side you choose. they make it seem significant but in the end it doesn't really matter since both orsino and meredith are evil.. kind of ridiculous. I played both paths. if you pick mages you still fight all the blood mages on the way then you start inside where orsino still turns to blood magic... then you fight your way out through blood mages and some templars and do the final fight. if you pick templars you fight all the blood mages on the way in then fight orsino who turned to blood mage and then the final fight... the post-game cutscene is exactly the same regardless of choice as well. i guess you're just picking which companions you want to keep for DLC... .. meh

Edgeward

Sir Garbageman said:
Nope. I love how they don't give you an option to back out either.

With regards to the Night Terrors Quest
do two of your companions automatically betray you or is there a way to prevent it?

Only one that won't betray is Anders, since he has Justice already. You can either bring no one but Anders or bring Aveline/Isabella or Fenris/Merill/Varric since each companion is only tempted by one of the demons and not both.

eek5

mujun said:
As a game independent from any other game I think it's a solid job. You know, 8 out of 10 territory type stuff.

Compared to it's older brother it can be quite a different story. Seems that if you didn't really enjoy the first game then you might enjoy this more than others seem to be. On the other hand if you loved the first game then you will probably end up hating this one if the rest of this thread is any indication.

Basically, as Dragon Age: Champion of Kirkwall it is pretty good but as Dragon Age: Origins 2 it is pretty average. lol

statham

about 8-10 hours in, playing on the 360. I'm lovin this game. graphics to me seem improved compared to the DA:O and I'm digging the story. reading reviews I thought I might hate this, but glad a I stuck with my pre-order. playing it on normal, and think I might need to bump it up. oh and instructions is useless, I found most of the stuff I needed online.

Kyoufu

mujun said:

I loved the first and I'm enjoying this one too.

I think its because of all the bad media and attention it has gotten and the horrible demo I went in with zero expectations, coming out pleasantly surprised.

It is nowhere as good as DA:O but still enjoyable for me, flawed or not.

Seems like they knew they wouldn't have enough time to develop this game so they just went ahead with recycled areas and dungeons :(

Best part with Isabella is
after I had sex with her and I go see Anders, Isabella is there asking for a cure for what appears to be a std. On the way out she just gives me this mean stare lol.

Kyoufu

I have a problem though. I believe I sexed Anders in my mansion but I didn't get the Romantic achievement........ Why? :(

It didn't show us naked or anything, just me taking him to bed.

I really need to finish the game because it seems like its taking a significantly different tone for me, or maybe that's just my opinion.
At least the religious unrest of crazy chantry woman versus the Qun seems to be way more prominent in the first two acts

BoboBrazil said:
Best part with Isabella is
after I had sex with her and I go see Anders, Isabella is there asking for a cure for what appears to be a std. On the way out she just gives me this mean stare lol.

That happened to me and I haven't smanged it
at least not yet.

Kyoufu said:
I have a problem though. I believe I sexed Anders in my mansion but I didn't get the Romantic achievement........ Why? :(

It didn't show us naked or anything, just me taking him to bed.

You don't get the achievement until near the end of the game.

Dark Stalkers said:
That happened to me and I haven't smanged it
at least not yet.

Maybe it's another glitch that you got it early. Timing seems to be too perfect for it not to happen the way it happened to me.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Just thought Id share this must have mod with everyone. It unlocks every hair style, beard, skin type, eye color, tattoo and facial feature like the blood smear and Aveline's freckles. There was one or two others that unlocked character creation stuff around but this one seems to do the most the others just let you have Hawke's beard or get Qunari eyes and that was about it.

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2176&navtag=file/images.php?id=2176&tab=3

Also theres a DAO save creator that provides all the various choices that show up in DA2, so you can custom create your own save to import including all the DLC, and its only good for importing. Made by Gibbed who made the ME save editors. Funny thing about it though was I found out Anders could die in Awakenings and yet having an import save with that doesnt change anything, at least so far in the first act, must turn up somewhere if its an option in the creator since it only provides DA2 relevant choices from DAO.

http://social.bioware.com/project/4242/

Enduin said:
Also theres a DAO save creator that provides all the various choices that show up in DA2, so you can custom create your own save to import including all the DLC, and its only good for importing. Made by Gibs who made the ME save editors. Funny thing about it though was I found out Anders could die in Awakenings and yet having an import save with that doesnt change anything, at least so far in the first act, must turn up somewhere if its an option in the creator since it only provides DA2 relevant choices from DAO.

I used this to create an import save for my second playthrough and I've had some issues, but I can't tell which is because of the savegen and what is because of the game. Twice I created a dalish elf save with it, and the game always imports it as a human noble.

Kyoufu

BoboBrazil said:
Maybe it's another glitch that you got it early. Timing seems to be too perfect for it not to happen the way it happened to me.

Nah I got that scene too. It is definitely an STD but she doesn't give you a mean stare. To me it was more of a wink or something.

She has been smanged by whole city of Kirkwall so I'm not surprised she has an STD. lol

BoboBrazil said:
Sarcastic Hawke's response is "I don't want to know", everybody knows Isabela is a trollop but please no details.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Basileus777 said:
I used this to create an import save for my second playthrough and I've had some issues, but I can't tell which is because of the savegen and what is because of the game. Twice I created a dalish elf save with it, and the game always imports it as a human noble.

Weird, I created one for my second playthrough as female elf mage bitch who killed everyone and everything and it worked out fine. I know theres a few things you can select that will cancel each other out and make the save not importable like selecting that you had a 3 way with Isabella but having also selected killing Zevaran will nerf the save. You should post your specific issues in the creators discussion page Gibbed seems pretty good about responding and will be making updates to it so its worth letting him know.

Pollux

Enduin said:
Just thought Id share this must have mod with everyone. It unlocks every hair style, beard, skin type, eye color, tattoo and facial feature like the blood smear and Aveline's freckles. There was one or two others that unlocked character creation stuff around but this one seems to do the most the others just let you have Hawke's beard or get Qunari eyes and that was about it.

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2176&navtag=file/images.php?id=2176&tab=3

Also theres a DAO save creator that provides all the various choices that show up in DA2, so you can custom create your own save to import including all the DLC, and its only good for importing. Made by Gibbed who made the ME save editors. Funny thing about it though was I found out Anders could die in Awakenings and yet having an import save with that doesnt change anything, at least so far in the first act, must turn up somewhere if its an option in the creator since it only provides DA2 relevant choices from DAO.

Really? I've defended this game because I think that it was pretty fun, but looking back, they really could have put a lot more work into this thing. Especially the story.

Just beat the game.... Game was fun, but I don't think it's worth the $60 price tag.... It's like DA:O Awakening; a DLC game... It's a just a massive build-up for DA3.....

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
zmoney said:
Really? I've defended this game because I think that it was pretty fun, but looking back, they really could have put a lot more work into this thing. Especially the story.

What does that have to do with my post?

Anyways here are some quick any dirty examples of the new CC choices, theyre mostly just NPC specific things.

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Capture4.jpg

Capture5.jpg

Capture6.jpg

Gvaz

Banned
Basileus777 said:

Import feature of DA2 is bugged a bit. Says so right in the readme.

edit:

Anyone fight the Varterral yet? I tried once as spirit mage/avaline/varric/merill but it was kind of slow and avaline seemed to be taking way too much damage. Oh and I died on the falling rock mechanic that I didn't even know it had (well, ranged did anyways). Oops to void zones!

Anyways I changed some tactics around a little, and turned spirit mage off and just did entropy with shit like the stun, misdirection, and the death hex thing and it died so damn fast. Even the spider mobs he summoned weren't any threat. The boss also barely did any damage to avaline, by comparison. I don't think she ever went below 50-70%.

edit: I play bosses on hard, if it matters.

That dragon in one of the caves in act 2 (not mature) i did with a tank and archer/rogue and fenris, and it wasn't hard but it was interesting change of pace not having a main tank.

Grisby

JoeBoy101 said:
Better than the Merrill quest bug. If you romance her in Act 2, in the beginning of Act 3 she spoils her whole story arc when you go see her because it plays a cutscene from the end of her companion mission. Really irritating.

I just had this. Also, after completeting her last companion quest (which was awesome) the ending just doesn't happen . Presumably because it already did! So, I guess I can't complete her story thing and the total romance achievement is gone. :(

Damn, Bioware, I've run into some other bugs too. This game got put out in a hurry.

Gvaz

Banned
Fuccckkk I didn't know that doing anything but destroying the books keeps me from fighting a secret boss, damnit! I wish there was a way to force that quest :(

I can't go back that far, and I really don't want to replay the game.

REV 09

Act 2. 28 hours so far on Hard. I still love this game. I feel like the copy/paste dungeons was at it's worst during act 1. Act 1 may have had a few too many side quests in general. There are some really great moments in the game though.

mujun said:
On the other hand if you loved the first game then you will probably end up hating this one if the rest of this thread is any indication.

Loved the first game, love this one.

I love being carefree, go lucky ^_^

eek5

REV 09 said:
Act 2. 28 hours so far on Hard. I still love this game. I feel like the copy/paste dungeons was at it's worst during act 1. Act 1 may have had a few too many side quests in general. There are some really great moments in the game though.
I felt like the pacing got a lot better towards the end of Act 2 and is pretty good in Act 3. The same dungeons over and over aren't as annoying because they're spread out more. I think in Act 1 I hit the same area like 4 side quests in a row... lol :/

36 hours played and I'm still in Act 1, heh... though I am a 'read all the codex entries, poke around every map detail' kinda player. Glad to be getting a lot of game time in after all the 'Only took me 18 hours' testimonials, been enjoying every aspect apart from the shitty recycled maps.

Oh, and the Arishok is the fuckin' bawss.

gdt

Mister_Bubbles said:
36 hours played and I'm still in Act 1, heh... though I am a 'read all the codex entries, poke around every map detail' kinda player. Glad to be getting a lot of game time in after all the 'Only took me 18 hours' testimonials, been enjoying every aspect apart from the shitty recycled maps.

Oh, and the Arishok is the fuckin' bawss.

Hooooolllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy shhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttt.

Top Bottom