• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Einbroch

Banned
It's not a letdown, and I'm having much more fun with DA2 than I was with DA:O.

It's more streamlined without dumbing it down.

Gvaz said:
If I try to go watch other videos, it says the channel is down for a DCMA violation.

Maybe they don't know stores broke the street date?

Most likely it's just EA/BioWare being jerks. But in their defense, they're probably not sure if those other streams are legit, retail, copies of the game.

Einbroch

Banned
Deadly said:
What happened to the global countdown on potions that was discussed previously?
Yeah, but it's per character. When a potion heals 80% of your max life and is SO easy to create, it's insane.

Grab a tank. Get all the taunt abilities you can with as much damage mitigation as possible. Throw out some AoE taunts. Wait until you're almost dead. Use 80% potion. BRAND NEW FIGHT!

I sound like I'm criticizing, but I hated having a Mage simply because I needed the heal spell. Now there's no need for it!

Coxswain

Einbroch said:
Mage healing is so ineffective it's laughable. Why bring a healing Mage when you can just spam potions?
You can't really spam potions, either; the cooldown on them is still 30s compared with Heal's 60s, and I don't think you can cheat the system like in DAO by alternating which kind of potion you chug. Plus apparently your potions can get stolen by enemies.

Personally, bringing the hammer down on Healing is one of my favourite changes about the game; generally speaking games where you mitigate damage by avoiding it altogether are more interesting than games where you just try to minimize it and then heal it away, and I like that they've given you the tools to do that.

Trickster

ceski said:
BioWare is doing a good job of highlighting everything wrong with the video game industry today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMcVZQI6ybw

c88yw.gif

dreamfall

Before I get crucified by the PC Gaffers, I want to know about Console versions! Are there differences between the PS3 and 360 games? I played all of Origins/Awakening on PS3 and pre-ordered the Signature Edition on Sony's console. But after completing the demo on both systems, there seems to be some different lighting issues & longer load times (not trying to start a console WAR). Anyone else playing PS3?!

Squire

Banned
dreamfall said:
Before I get crucified by the PC Gaffers, I want to know about Console versions! Are there differences between the PS3 and 360 games? I played all of Origins/Awakening on PS3 and pre-ordered the Signature Edition on Sony's console. But after completing the demo on both systems, there seems to be some different lighting issues & longer load times (not trying to start a console WAR). Anyone else playing PS3?!

Yep. Played through Origins on PS3, but none of the DLC unfortunately. I also preordered for the Sig. Edition like yourself. I've only played the demo and on PS3 so far though, so you probably have more info than I do in terms of differences between the console versions.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
kai3345 said:
I'm trying to marathon my way through Awakenings right now, and the conversation choice is basically Forceful, Sarcastic, Inquisitive, or Calm. I don't see how DA2's use of the wheel at all strays from the formula.

Squire

Banned
K.Jack said:
I'm trying to marathon my way through Awakenings right now, and the conversation choice is basically Forceful, Sarcastic, Inquisitive, or Calm. I don't see how DA2's use of the wheel at all strays from the formula.

Then you see my earlier post in the thread where I explained it. For starters, in DA2 your character has a voice. That's "straying from the norm" right there, in terms of Dragon Age. There are eleven tones in DA2 (lead designer said so in yesterdays livestream) only three (nice, sarcastic, mean) are in the demo.

Zeal

Banned
I'm hilariously fucked. Story spoilers below, 15hrs in.

currenly in the fade at the part where you must fight each one of your characters in order to advance. You fight a different party member behind each door. The only problem is that my characters are of such a high level, and so well geared, they end up one shotting me at the beginning of every fight. No idea how to advance and I've tried everything. I'm officially giving this worst game of the century award. What a gigantic design flaw, and whats worse...it just HAD to be the fucking fade, naturally.

Vamphuntr

Zeal said:

currenly in the fade at the part where you must fight each one of your characters in order to advance. You fight a different party member behind each door. The only problem is that my characters are of such a high level, and so well geared, they end up one shotting me at the beginning of every fight. No idea how to advance and I've tried everything. I'm officially giving this worst game of the century award. What a gigantic design flaw, and whats worse...it just HAD to be the fucking fade, naturally.

Can't you just lower the diffculty level?

Zeal said:

Load game before the Fade.

Give them shitty equipment right before entering.

Trollface and spam A.

BTW, is it as visually bland as it was in DA:O?

X-Frame

Can someone who's playing the game AND imported their DA:O save into it vaguely say how well or how often they experience callbacks to their Origins save file?

No spoilers, just curious though because importing a 100% complete ME1 file into ME2 is very different than a stock ME2 file.

Zeal

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Load game before the Fade.

Give them shitty equipment right before entering.

Trollface and spam A.

BTW, is it as visually bland as it was in DA:O?
can you believe its even worse? They half-assed it so bad this time that its simply a pre-existing dungeon with the wavey fade effect filter over it. As for the gear, I thought the exact same thing, but the AI takes control of your character and gives them a type of OP demon buff, so they wear the trollface.jpeg. finally manage to take one down using the force of a nuclear mage barrage, surviving with like 2hps. Will see how the rest goes.

Deadly

Zeal said:

Isn't this the EXACT same thing that happened in DA:O? freakin lame

jackdoe

GillianSeed79 said:
To be fair, there was an actual fucking chart you had to read for all of DA:O's DLC nonesense. When it comes to Bioware they have brought that shit to a whole, whole other level.
Yep. Not only that, but they've taken a page out of Microsoft's book and now we have Bioware Bucks (so I have a worthless 80 of them doing nothing).

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Never played Dragon Age, is it okay if I jump in at number II? Or will I be utterly confused if I haven't played the first one?

Edgeward

Stat Flow said:
Never played Dragon Age, is it okay if I jump in at number II? Or will I be utterly confused if I haven't played the first one?

The demo didnt have that many callbacks to the first game and the ones there aren't needed to know if you've never played it. I would assume generally that's how the game will handle it. You'd be fine.

X-Frame said:
Can someone who's playing the game AND imported their DA:O save into it vaguely say how well or how often they experience callbacks to their Origins save file?

No spoilers, just curious though because importing a 100% complete ME1 file into ME2 is very different than a stock ME2 file.

Good question. I'd like to know this too. I'm most curious about Witch Hunt's ramifications. I somehow did something that made Morrigan hate me.

What are the reviews on this? My store got an extra DA2 Special Edition in and I'd like to get it as I did enjoy the demo but I need more word on the final game.

Squire

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
Wait, so does that mean that one written dialogue option can have different spoken lines based on your previous actions/dialogues? If that's true, then I think that redeems the dialogue wheel (at least a little ;)).

Yep! That's it exactly! It's active in the demo too :)

Square Triangle said:
What are the reviews on this? My store got an extra DA2 Special Edition in and I'd like to get it as I did enjoy the demo but I need more word on the final game.

Reviews are coming tomorrow.

K.Jack said:

It's a wheel now. And apparently therefore terrible.

Cetra

Kinspiracy said:
It's a wheel now. And apparently therefore terrible.

Pretty much. God forbid, a WHEEL!

Thread is pretty much all of BrainlessGAF jumping to wild baseless conclusions. Sad really.

firehawk12 said:
I'm willing to bet that it gets the same response as ME2 anyway. The press is relatively easy to please.

If it's a good game, then the reviews will reflect that. I really don't get this "BioWare gets away with anything" mentality.

Squire

Banned
Vinterbird said:
If it's a good game, then the reviews will reflect that. I really don't get this "BioWare gets away with anything" mentality.

Because they don't. They make good game. If the press were so "easy to please" you would never see a negative review of any game ever.

water_wendi said:

I can't speak for that IGN reviewer, but if he enjoyed it that much, he's allowed to think that. It's the same as the people who think Deadly Premonition is great, while others think it's a terrible game.

II CETRA II said:
Pretty much. God forbid, a WHEEL!

Thread is pretty much all of BrainlessGAF jumping to wild baseless conclusions. Sad really.

Haha, yeah - there is a lot of ridiculous going on in this trhead.

ceski

Neo Member
Inorigo said:
Oh, god. Some people who actually feel good about DA2. Where have you been this whole thread? I've been waiting!!
This is a post from the former lead designer of Dragon Age: Origins, Brent Knowles:

We were nearing the end of active work on design content for Dragon Age… there was still a lot more bug fixing/polishing/ and fill-content generation ahead but the core plot/writing and level design was finished. My work was rapidly shifting into that of reviewing what the team had put together.

Discussion on Dragon Age 2 began around this time and looking ahead I knew that I wasn’t going to be satisfied with what Dragon Age 2 would be. Party control/tactical combat are huge factors in my enjoyment of a role-playing game as is adopting the role of the hero (i.e., customizing my character). I was fairly certain Dragon Age would transition towards more of a Mass Effect experience, which while enjoyable is not the type of role-playing game I play. Could I be the lead designer on such a title? Certainly… though if I were going to work on a game adopting a set-in-stone protagonist I’d rather work on something lighter, like a shooter.

Through a series of circumstances it was decided that with my not wanting to participate on Dragon Age 2 it was time to transition in a new lead to finish the Dragon Age console versions and ramp up for Dragon Age 2. I moved out of an active lead role though I stayed on for several months performing quality assurance and helping with the transition. I completed the game several times during this period and racked up the second or third highest bug totals… so, still busy but doing something quite different.

After this was over and the content locked down I took a sabbatical. When I returned to work I was hoping that there would be a new project lined up for me.

There wasn’t, not really. I did some high level design for a potential new project but a few months later I realized that, given cutbacks and other things that it really seemed unlikely that the project I had been ‘assigned’ to was ever going to materialize. I can’t/won’t go into any other details other than to point to an old entry I made about this and reiterate: “I’m not the same person I was when I started, and BioWare isn’t the same company. ”

So I quit, giving a couple months notice to finish up my obligations on the new/hypothetical project and then in early September 2009 I left BioWare.
The full text can be found here.

It's completely reasonable to be pessimistic about Dragon Age 2 and the direction EA/Bioware and the rest of the industry is heading. So when I post a video like this, it may see like flamebait, but it's simply telling the truth in a humorous way.

Squire

Banned
ceski said:
This is a post from the former lead designer of Dragon Age: Origins, Brent Knowles:

The full text can be found here.

It's completely reasonable to be pessimistic about Dragon Age 2 and the direction EA/Bioware and the rest of the industry is heading. So when I post a video like this, it may see like flamebait, but it's simply telling the truth in a humorous way.

Well I don't really have a problem with anyone being pessimistic, but it was getting awefully gloomy in here and, I'm sorry to say, for probably the most petty reasons you could think of. I mean, not getting the game because there's no auto-attack? Seriously?

At this point, it seems like people are looking for reasons not to like it and won't even admit it might actually be good. Not saying that's the reality of the situation, but it does seem like it.

So when some positivity, some optimism springs up, yeah! I'm happy to see it!

EDIT: And if Brent Knowles left BioWare in Septermber of 2009 (before Origins even launched) I highly doubt he has any more insight into the actual development of DA2 than any of us. Things can turn out very different from their concept.

So one guy out of how many working on the project quit? One guy. You'll excuse me if I don't light myself on fire and hurl myself at the Bioware building.

Thats very interesting. Certainly explains the massive shift in design priorities. Still, having quite liked Mass Effect 2, I'm keen to see what pans out with this game when the full edition (or as I call it, 'the actual game') is released later in the year.

I think people crying out for 'wait until you play it' are willing themselves to sleep. No, I won't wait. That's a hundred dollars in Australia. I'll judge beforehand. I always do. We all always do.

Top Bottom