• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Mad_Ban

In the vain hope that my DAO Warden has some impact on DA2, I'm playing through for a "prime" save.

Is the right order;

Origins > Awakening > Agmarrak > Witch Hunt?

Mad_Ban said:
In the vain hope that my DAO Warden has some impact on DA2, I'm playing through for a "prime" save.

Is the right order;

Origins > Awakening > Agmarrak > Witch Hunt?

Yeah, don't forget to do Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep, and Return to Ostagar during your origins campaign.

Xilium said:
After getting a quick glace at the skill trees in DA2 though, the simplification and reduction of skills makes it seem like the AI would have to just be absolutely horrid in order to f-up the crowd control role. I may play a melee class for once, just to try something different.

Um, there are more skills available for Hawke than there were in the original game. 9 full trees of 10 skills each. How is that a reduction of skills?

jackdoe

I have to say, reading some of the reviews, my anticipation for this game has dropped to an all time low. I didn't cancel the pre-order because I still have some hope, but that is dwindling quickly. At least I won't be disappointed on Tuesday because of unrealistic expectations.

Fimbulvetr said:
He did NOT just beat the boss the way I saw he did.

Oh god, he forgot to bring a rogue. *headdesk*

So far this video has taught me two things. Long CDs on pots and heal and how to not play this game.

ProtoCents said:
So far this video has taught me two things. Long CDs on pots and heal and how to not play this game.

This guy seems to be trying as hard as possible not to win.

It's like he has a split personality that takes over and constantly hits his own party with AOE spells.

Deadly

RS4- said:
CD times on AOE spells are quite high, I think 20 to 30s. I feel that they were more effective in DAO; at the same time though, mages have pretty fast attack speed with average DPS.
Are you talking about spells like Fireball or the big AOE spells like Inferno, Blizzard, Death Cloud?

Fimbulvetr said:
This guy seems to be trying as hard as possible not to win.

It's like he has a split personality that takes over and constantly hits his own party with AOE spells.
Is he actively casting AoE on his party or are some tactics left on that shouldn't be for nightmare difficulty?

I'm not being funny but I've never played Dragon Age and even I know that whoever is playing on that stream is utterly, utterly terrible. They appear to have just killed their entire party for the second time in as many minutes.

Lostconfused said:
Is he actively casting AoE on his party or are some tactics left on that shouldn't be for nightmare difficulty?

Manual control. He's choosing to do it.

Also, lol at the random NPCs walking through the fight as if nothing is going on.

Deadly

I have to admit the animations are much cooler compared to the poke and light comes out of your staff from DA:O. Though it gets a little bit over the top too, I mean would you seriously see a mage swinging his staff around like that? :lol

FleckSplat said:
Actively.
Fimbulvetr said:
Manual control. He's choosing to do it.

Also, lol at the random NPCs walking through the fight as if nothing is going on.

2i0yzuv.jpg

X-Frame

Deadly said:
I have to admit the animations are much cooler comapred to the poke and light comes out of your staff from DA:O. Though it gets a little bit over the top too, I mean would you seriously see a mage swinging his staff around like that? :lol

I don't know, I've never met a Mage before .. :D

Lostconfused said:

And yet he still won.

Deadly said:
I have to admit the animations are much cooler comapred to the poke and light comes out of your staff from DA:O. Though it gets a little bit over the top too, I mean would you seriously see a mage swinging his staff around like that? :lol

The mage animation is actually one of the least off looking ones.

Dagger wielding Rogues look like they forgot they weren't going to a rave and two handed swords seem to have no weight.

Sword n' Board animation is okay though.

Zeal

Banned
I've come to the conclusion that I would rather be made Tranquil than sit through another recycled dungeon in this game. This is sheer lazyness by Bioware, which does not compute.

Lime

The voice of "good" female Hawke sounds so incredibly boring. It's like the voice actor is just saying the lines without any emotion whatsoever. The comedic version sounds like a douchebag.

Ugh.

RS4- said:
Ugh high dragon is so annoying. Not many or any chances to do the money-xp glitch after chap 2. I haven't seen any places to do it in chapter 4 and I don't think I saw any in the third one either.

Edit - you can plug in a stick or something with turbo and use that.

What chapter am I in if I just
got Hawk's mansion
? I would like to do the money and xp glitch to get some of the experience upgrades, since I've mainly just been doing strength and health upgrades and not touching the other ones for Hawk.

Xilium

bishopcruz said:
Um, there are more skills available for Hawke than there were in the original game. 9 full trees of 10 skills each. How is that a reduction of skills?

The Trees have 4-6 talents, which can be upgraded in 1 or 2 ways. It may ultimately be about the same but looking through the mage trees, I see a lot of the talents I used in Origins missing.

RS4-

BoboBrazil said:
What chapter am I in if I just
got Hawk's mansion
? I would like to do the money and xp glitch to get some of the experience upgrades, since I've mainly just been doing strength and health upgrades and not touching the other ones for Hawk.

Ugh, when I said 4 chapters, I think there are only 3. So I only came across the money-xp exploit in chapter 1. Or I could be mistaken but whatever the case, I didn't see any places that allow you to do the glitch when you
get the mansion.

I'll reload some other saves and see what happens pre above spoiler. But I did do it reloading a file that was 3-4 hours in just to hit level 50 for the hell of it and see how much of the skill tree I can complete. And I don't think you can do most of the tree without buying the skill tomes that are found at various shops.

And yeah, forgot to mention that you can upgrade companion armor but that involves buying specific items at shops.

Tendo

I loved Mass Effect 1&2 but DA:O bored me and I never finished it.

I played the demo for this and really dug the seemingly faster and flashier combat. Would I like this more than DA:O? I'd like to pre-order it on Steam if so and get the goodies but don't want to be let down again. DA:O had such potential and just...got so "meh" to me after a few hours.

Durante

Since many people are posting pre-release impressions I have a question: how detrimental are the changes (particularly faster movement and spawning enemies) to tactical play on Nightmare? Does crowd control still work and how annoying is it to keep your mages safe?

Durante said:
Since many people are posting pre-release impressions I have a question: how detrimental are the changes (particularly faster movement and spawning enemies) to tactical play on Nightmare? Does crowd control still work and how annoying is it to keep your mages safe?

It seems only to be a problem if you cast AOE on yourself... :/

RS4- said:
Ugh, when I said 4 chapters, I think there are only 3. So I only came across the money-xp exploit in chapter 1. Or I could be mistaken but whatever the case, I didn't see any places that allow you to do the glitch when you
get the mansion.

I'll reload some other saves and see what happens pre above spoiler. But I did do it reloading a file that was 3-4 hours in just to hit level 50 for the hell of it and see how much of the skill tree I can complete. And I don't think you can do most of the tree without buying the skill tomes that are found at various shops.

And yeah, forgot to mention that you can upgrade companion armor but that involves buying specific items at shops.

Ahh ok. I'll probably just play through without doing it. I'm playing on easy(yes I suck) and haven't had any issues beating anyone yet. I've been doing pretty much every side quest possible too.

Durante

FleckSplat said:
It seems only to be a problem if you cast AOE on yourself... :/
The thing is, in the first game you had ample opportunity to use AoE without endangering your party. Attack enemies before they spot you, use the rather slow movement speed to your advantage, or block doorways / choke points with your warriors and rain hellfire behind them. What I fear is that the second game doesn't offer such possibilities since it is designed without FF in mind and has enemies spawning basically right on top of you.

That's why I'd like some impressions on that from people who play Nightmare. (That's the only way I'd consider playing the game)

RS4-

Durante said:

Crowd control even on normal is horrible if you leave it up to the AI and tactics don't work as well as you'd like because of the way enemies spawn around you, especially in open areas. You could still get away with forcing them into a bottleneck but you'll have to manage the skills or else your AI ally might spam a spell that'll get your tank killed.

I've been rolling tank - two mage - rogue since healing potions have individual cooldown and because
You practically only have one mage that can heal after the deep mines

I could be wrong about the latter, I don't know if the story changes depending on decisions you make, but I kind of doubt it.

BoboBrazil said:
Ahh ok. I'll probably just play through without doing it. I'm playing on easy(yes I suck) and haven't had any issues beating anyone yet. I've been doing pretty much every side quest possible too.

Yeah I didn't know about the glitch until I was past that point in the game, so I tested it out by using an old save file.

Durante

I don't worry much about the AI since I usually control every action of every character in non-trivial battles. But the enemies spawning around you does sound like it sucks just as much as it did in the demo. I had some hope that it was just because it was supposed to be such a dangerous area but I didn't really believe that.

Thanks for the information.

Gvaz

Banned
If I try to go watch other videos, it says the channel is down for a DCMA violation.

Maybe they don't know stores broke the street date?

Einbroch

Banned
Mage healing is so ineffective it's laughable. Why bring a healing Mage when you can just spam potions?

Mages are glass-cannons in this game, don't let anyone fool you. Can bring down the pain quickly, but die in like 3-4 normal melee attacks.

I might just toss my Mage completely out of my party in favor of another Rogue if I can later.

Deadly

Einbroch said:
Mage healing is so ineffective it's laughable. Why bring a healing Mage when you can just spam potions?

Mages are glass-cannons in this game, don't let anyone fool you. Can bring down the pain quickly, but die in like 3-4 normal melee attacks.

I might just toss my Mage completely out of my party in favor of another Rogue if I can later.
What happened to the global countdown on potions that was discussed previously?

Top Bottom