• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Deadly

Spookie said:
Have Bioware released the High Rez textures for shit mountain yet? I've got to preload the game still and I'd rather not have to do that on launch too.
The link is on the same page where you posted.

TheExodu5

Banned
My main issue with the combat on PC is that I still don't understand the controls. I left click a mob and use a skill and it does nothing. I spam right click on the mob and it doesn't always work.

The first controlled just like WoW. This one? Not so sure.

MechaX

Still on the fence on whether or not I'm going to pick this up or not. I played the demo at a friend's place on his PC as a mage, and I'm definitely digging the faster casting times and better looking magic. I didn't play as a rogue but I played as the Warrior in the group. Hell, the warrior class seems just as boring to me as it was in DA:O, so rogue or mage or bust.

But the minimal impact that your DA:O choices have on the story really took the wind out of the sails for me. It wasn't like ME2, where I was at least like "Oh man, I have to see how the story goes on for my Shepard!", but eh. And in a cynical manner, I'm betting DAII handles the entire "multiple year-long story" as well as Assassin's Creed II handled year jumping (as in, not very well at all).

But I do have an actual question amidst all this musing. Do we have a ball-park figure on how long the game is when doing most of the side-quests or without side-quests?

Gorgon said:
And all this time I thought these were roleplaying games? Even pen& paper has moved beyond the tactical combat of the original D&D with no dialogue or choices as an important factor even before the end of the 70s.

I was talking about the character being voiced, which came at the expense of additional racial choices, not to mention more dialog choices.

mik

mik is unbeatable
TheExodu5 said:
My main issue with the combat on PC is that I still don't understand the controls.
I pretty much agree. I'd rather get it on the PC, but the controls--when in combat--are poor, I think. I love the PC controls for navigating the environments. They're far superior there. But for combat, they just feel off. And it seems like I have to fiddle with the camera much more in battle as well with this revamped combat system. It gets really tiring, really quickly.

pahamrick

Didn't see where this has been posted, but those of you wondering about the auto-attack option in the console versions, Chris Priestly posted about it on the Bioware forums.

Chris Priestly wrote...

OK: Here is the story.

Auto-attack option for consoles was added in to the games late in the development cycle after the initial certification build was sent. The auto-attack functionality was sent to be added to the game for testing and approval. This was why staff said it was in game.

Due to an error during mastering, the auto-attack file was omitted during manufacture.

We apologize for this. It was meant to be in game, but it is not currently in the console versions. We are working on how best to distribute this to console users. When we have information, we will let everyone know.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
mik said:
I pretty much agree. I'd rather get it on the PC, but the controls--when in combat--are poor, I think. I love the PC controls for navigating the environments. They're far superior there. But for combat, they just feel off. And it seems like I have to fiddle with the camera much more in battle as well with this revamped combat system. It gets really tiring, really quickly.

It would have been much better if I could just pull the camera out further. You can still appreciate good animation from a distance.

DaBuddaDa said:
Generally stated, what stands out about DA2 is that there still isn't any other RPG quite like it for consoles, and this game looks and controls much better on consoles than DA:O did. People have their doubts about the story, characters and setting when compared to the first game, but we will need at least a week with the game proper before any consensus can be reached about those aspects.

That all sounds kinda week and fuzzy, like everything else I have read about the game. I know people haven´t played the full game yet, but one would think that Bioware should have promoted some specific feature of the game.

Jade Empire was a melee focused martial arts inspired RPG.
Mass Effect was a cross between RPG and shooter.
Dragon Age: Origins was a homeage to old CRPG´s like Baldurs Gate, with a twist with it´s origin stories.

But what is Dragon Age 2? (again, no need for sarcastic answers, the OP has done them all already).

DAII's 'stand out' points are that its story develops over a ten-year span, that it's told in a framed-narrative style, and that it has a personality-developing dialogue system. Though they seem to have avoided playing up that last part.

Edit: And, at least from Bioware's point of view, they seem to think the combat is worthy of stand-out note in itself. We'll see about that ¬_¬

ceski

Neo Member
Does every game need to be a focus group targeted action-rpg with all conversations reduced to good/bad/snarky stereotypes?

dialogue-wheel-mass-efb7ze.jpg

dragon-age-2-demo-convrygx.jpg

Does every game need to be gutted and divided into continuous DLC milking?

Code:
Complete List of Dragon Age: Origins DLC:

Return to Ostagar
The Stone Prisoner
Warden's Keep
Memory Band
Feral Wolf Charm
Guildmaster's Belt
Band of Fire
Dalish Promise Ring
Collector's Edition Items
The Edge
Embri's Many Pockets
Helm of the Deep
The Lucky Stone
The Lion's Paw
Blood Dragon Armor
Mark of Vigilance
Amulet of the War Mage
The Wicked Oath
Bulwark of the True King for Origins
Bulwark of the True King for Awakening
Pearl of the Anointed for Origins
Pearl of the Anointed for Awakening
Bregan's Bow for Origins
Bregan's Bow for Awakening
Feastday Gifts
Feastday Pranks
The Darkspawn Chronicles
Leliana's Song
Golems of Amgarrak
Witch Hunt

Does the industry really need to design every game for Call of Duty fans' sensibilities?
BioWare: We Want Call Of Duty's Audience

With Dragon Age II’s release imminent, senior producer Fernando Melo feels the sequel has far more reach than Origins, even potentially attracting the same kind of crowd that flocks to gaming’s biggest franchise, Call Of Duty.

Speaking to NowGamer Melo said: “We have data that shows there are a lot of people that enjoy playing RPGs although they won’t necessarily call them RPGs. They’ll play Fallout, Assassin’s Creed and even Call Of Duty, which have these progression elements – you’re putting points into things – but they don’t necessarily associate that as an RPG. So we think that if we expand that out we’ll attract a much bigger audience.”

Should we really lock out content from players if they are hesitant to pay for a game before hearing reviews about it?

signature59f4.jpg

And later charge them for said content?

da2_exiled_princesqsm.jpg

The game is a cash-in follow up with barely a year of development time. It's been pinched out to meet a specific, ideal release window as not to interfere with the company's other pandering game series release: Mass Effect 3 - Coming at Ya This Holiday 2011. This has taken a toll on the game itself in the form of low production values and copy/paste level design.

But even if the quality of the game itself can be debated, one thing about it cannot be: Games like Dragon Age 2 are terrible for the industry and we are worse off because of it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Damn, I don't think I'm going to buy this until autumn or Christmas sales. I'm burned out on RPGs, Divinity II seals the case. The game is awesome, but amount of content is overwhelming. 34 hours in, tons of sidequests missed, no end in sight.

No RPGs until summer, even The Witcher 2 can wait (I'll buy it day 1 anyway).

DA2 doesn't look like a must have game even with DX11 features.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
ceski said:
I think I love you. I hope that doesn't creep you out too much.

Both "The State of the Games Industry" and Mike Laidlaw in general prove that the Dragon Age team have entirely lost focus on what made the original game so great. They're truly making the game for themselves, not the public. The lead designer of DAO is the ultimate proof of this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
WanderingWind said:
You know, The Witcher 2 is cool and all, but goddamn it, I want an actual spiritual successor to the IE games.

Obsidian is the only real potential avenue for this right now.

Patryn

WanderingWind said:
You know, The Witcher 2 is cool and all, but goddamn it, I want an actual spiritual successor to the IE games.

I kinda want to hurt somebody.

Fuck spiritual successor. I'd kill for another game USING the Infinity Engine.

pahamrick said:
Didn't see where this has been posted, but those of you wondering about the auto-attack option in the console versions, Chris Priestly posted about it on the Bioware forums.

Due to an error during mastering, the auto-attack file was omitted during manufacture.

Definitely an error alright but I'm not so positive it was made at the manufacturing stage of the game's development.

ceski...you have my vote to run Bioware from this point forward.

Mr_Zombie said:
No, you need full version of DA2 in order to install high-res texture pack :(

It's just a 7 zip installer. Try using universal extractor to dump it in the demo's file directory.

I'd test it, but I uninstalled the demo.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Dead State will be a party-focused turn-based isometric RPG. If Brian (forgot his full name) delivers I think this will be a sort of spiritual successor to these games.

Patryn

bigdaddygamebot said:

Definitely an error alright but I'm not so positive it was made at the manufacturing stage of the game's development.

ceski...you have my vote to run Bioware from this point forward.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Willing to bet they had no understanding of how many people would demand it be included, and they're now scrambling for a solution.

I'm guessing it's too much to ask for a Day 1 patch?

Patryn said:
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Willing to bet they had no understanding of how many people would demand it be included, and they're now scrambling for a solution.

I'm guessing it's too much to ask for a Day 1 patch?

Clearly expecting them to have that included in the console version would require some massive developmental costs.

It's not like auto-attack was a feature in the first Dragon Age right? Oh wait...

My carpal tunnel throbs at the idea of putting all 40 hours in before the auto-attack patch is certified for consoles. At least there'll be less 'awesome' if I roll a mage.

Though at this point, I'd be content if the patch came out and didn't muss things up. The save I'll be importing into this skips Awakenings, because when Witch Hunt came out I was scared off by the reports of people playing through the whole DLC only to find out the warden they imported into Awakenings and then into Witch Hunt had their crucial Morrigan decisions not register in the climax.

So is the verdict among lucky bastards who got their copy early, that the exiled prince isn't nearly as interesting as Shale and generally not worth it?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
meltingparappa said:
My carpal tunnel throbs at the idea of putting all 40 hours in before the auto-attack patch is certified for consoles. At least there'll be less 'awesome' if I roll a mage.

Though at this point, I'd be content if the patch came out and didn't muss things up. The save I'll be importing into this skips Awakenings, because when Witch Hunt came out I was scared off by the reports of people playing through the whole DLC only to find out the warden they imported into Awakenings and then into Witch Hunt had their crucial Morrigan decisions not register in the climax.
At least Gibbed is working on a saved-game creator so we can tailor make an ending scenario.

pahamrick said:

How the hell does that even happen? Is someone sitting there saying, "nah, we don't need this Console_Auto_Attack file"

Confidence Man said:
How the hell does that even happen? Is someone sitting there saying, "nah, we don't need this Console_Auto_Attack file"
I can give them the benefit of the doubt on that, if it's essentially a single line of code in an .ini file that someone saved over when putting the finishing touches on a console-specific version of the options. Not having a day one patch to fix it is more a sign of MS patch certification (I'm assuming it just has to wait until the first big patch is released, presumably fixing that EXP glitch as well).

Lime

Fucking lol @ the "Gain the trust of party member X, Y, Z" quests (judging from the stream). We didn't get enough in ME2, I presume?

Without having played this game, all signs indicate this will be Bioware's worst game yet.

EDIT
"I need three goats and a sheef of wheat."
Marvellous game design right there.

Top Bottom