• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Quick question. I pre-ordered the other night and redeemed my stuff just now, yet I don't seem to see anything on my DLC in the game menu. Am I missing something here?

RedStep said:
It's okay that you feel that way, you have bad taste.

ME exists in a world that BioWare created; the various races, the Citadel, the political structure, etc. It's not perfect, but it is an original creation (despite familiar concepts being employed).

DA exists in a "standard" fantasy world. We got our elves, our dwarves, and our Mages right here. This is a "take" on a set of established creations.

I like them both a great deal, but one is considerably more generic than the other.
Yes because taste is at issue here, even though no preference has been stated. You're such a clever dude!

The various races of ME are almost just Star Trek races. Krogan's are Klingons. Turians are Romulans ect ect. The political structure isn't interesting, we've seen ideas like a council and the early beginnings of humans in space in other science fiction before as well. It's the same as DA. Biowares take on established conventions. Just because you prefer one over the other dosen't mean you can slight the other one and try to make it seem inferior when the other has the same problems.

Zzoram

A truly unique take on Sci-Fi or Fantasy is one where Humans are neither the dominant species nor the up-and-coming dominant species.

Truant

You guys are taking this way too far. All I'm saying is that DA2 seems to have suffered because Bioware tried to reinvent the idea of Dragon Age, when they should have focused on making a great game instead.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just got past the demo area and into Kirkwall. I'm playing on Hard, and damn that Ogre battle is tough as hell. It took me 3 tries to best it. The textures look a lot better on Very High, but there are still some stinkers. SSAO, soft shadows and tessellation all go a long ways to making the game look pretty nice. I'm maxed out in DX11 at 1920x1200 with 2x AA and it runs really well. Like 40 - 60fps with some occasional dips. Very playable.

I went ahead and chose the default Hawke warrior and will be going with a 2-hand spec, probably. I was able to import my Dragon Age: Origins save without issue and also redeem my signature code for the DLC crap. The only thing that really disappointed me so far is that I couldn't make minor adjustments to default Hawke look.

Anyway, I'm liking it so far! I look forward to finally playing some new content that wasn't in the demo tomorrow.

Xamdou

For those gaffers who got the pc version already, are you able to max out the video settings running at 1080p and at what frame-rate? Also your specs!

Einbroch

Banned
Zefah said:
I just got past the demo area and into Kirkwall. I'm playing on Hard, and damn that Ogre battle is tough as hell. It took me 3 tries to best it. The textures look a lot better on Very High, but there are still some stinkers. SSAO, soft shadows and tessellation all go a long ways to making the game look pretty nice. I'm maxed out in DX11 at 1920x1200 with 2x AA and it runs really well. Like 40 - 60fps with some occasional dips. Very playable.

I went ahead and chose the default Hawke warrior and will be going with a 2-hand spec, probably. I was able to import my Dragon Age: Origins save without issue and also redeem my signature code for the DLC crap. The only thing that really disappointed me so far is that I couldn't make minor adjustments to default Hawke look.

Anyway, I'm liking it so far! I look forward to finally playing some new content that wasn't in the demo tomorrow.

You can change your appearance. You stopped right before you get to change the way you look.

Fredescu

Any streams going?

RedStep said:
ME exists in a world that BioWare created; the various races, the Citadel, the political structure, etc. It's not perfect, but it is an original creation (despite familiar concepts being employed).
It really isn't.

golem

DX10? High settings, SSAO, Highres Texture Pack, 2x AA

5508933958_634f674536_o.jpg

5508335351_9fa6444595_o.jpg

Mr_Zombie

Einbroch said:
You can change your appearance. You stopped right before you get to change the way you look.
I think what he meant is that you can't modify default Hawke's appearance (just like you can't modify default male Shepard) which sucks, because I like Hawke's beard :/. Every other beard have too big mustache for my liking.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Unlocked on Impulse. Now, how do I unlock the Signature Edition content? I've registered the game at the social.bioware site, but I see no promo code.

Currently downloading HD textures.....

markot

Banned
golem said:
DX10? High settings, SSAO, Highres Texture Pack, 2x AA

Pics

>_>

So the females.... why?

The first just looks... weird, and her fingers, dear god, her fingers, the second one, her chin looks like its more deadly than her sword...

Great. The texture pack either says the game isn't installed (it is), or if the game's running it tells me to quit the game to install. I do that, but then the window closes and I have to restart the pack installer (at which point it says the game's not installed). WTF.

SumGamer

IMG_20110308_004306.jpg

From PS3 version, a little glitch, fixed itself when reenter the area. Just thought it was funny, when I first see that and I'm not sure if I'll be falling down if I walk over it LOL.

The game runs pretty smooth on PS3, very happy so far. I like this new narrative style they made though. Only complain is that I dont get to be an elf :(

EvaPlusMinus said:
Quick question. I pre-ordered the other night and redeemed my stuff just now, yet I don't seem to see anything on my DLC in the game menu. Am I missing something here?

Things like the Black Emporium and whatnot are downloaded externally rather via the in-game experience. Just go to your area on the Bioware site and look at the things your account has redeemed and then click on the "More Info" or whatever it is called. Then click on the Download option.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I tried to make my Hawke look somewhat like me, so I created a light skinned black guy (sort of). Now, Bethany looks Puerto Rican and my brother looked like Julio Iglesias. Also, Nightmare makes a big difference. A frustrating difference already lol

FleckSplat said:
Great. The texture pack either says the game isn't installed (it is), or if the game's running it tells me to quit the game to install. I do that, but then the window closes and I have to restart the pack installer (at which point it says the game's not installed). WTF.

Wow. To get it to work, just use 7zip to open the Exe and copy the $34 folder to the DA2 packages folder. Sigh, why do I need to figure this shit out just to get good textures?

itxaka

Defeatist
So guys can you comment on the performance of very high in dx11? I heard that is still broken and a gtx460 gives you around 6fps. So exactly like in the demo :(

Acheteedo

Reviews so far:

The Escapist - 100
"The advancements in RPG mechanics would be enough to set it apart, but the real achievement of Dragon Age II is in the story-telling. I could point out the improved combat and graphics till there's blood covering my face, but BioWare is one of the few companies that uses the advanced computing power available to modern game designers to let you actually play a role."

3DJuegos - 91
"It may be difficult for hardcore gamers to ignore the revamped combat system, but once you calm down and excuse some minor flaws, you'll find an amazing game in Dragon Age II."

SpazioGames - 90
"Despite the change in pace, graphics and tactics, Dragon Age II is once again one of the greatest RPGs of our time, thanks to an interesting storyline, fascinating characters and a fun, over the top dark fantasy combat system."

Games Master UK - 90
"BioWare have comprehensively hit back at detractors of the original game and Dragon Age II delivers a distinctive fantasy RPG with far broader appeal and personality than before. Mega-nerds may feel slighted that they can't dig into the mechanics quite so easily but few would argue that this slicker, more streamlined approach isn't a vast improvement. [Apr 2011, p.73]"

Official Xbox Magazine - 90
"Next to its predecessor, Dragon Age II may be a slightly altered beast, but the minute Isabela slyly chirps "I like big boats, I cannot lie" to a Desire Demon in the murky Fade, you'll realize this game offers some of the deepest, nerdiest, most worthwhile 40 to 60 hours you'll ever love losing sleep over. [April 2011, p.70]"

Game Informer - 83
"Part of me was disappointed with Dragon Age II. I hoped for an improvement on the original, but it ultimately feels like a step back. [Apr 2011, p.85]"

Playstation: The Official Magazine (US) - 90
"Fueled by its brains, a likeable cast, and a sprawling storyline, Age II delivers. It's the sort of game with jaws, the kind that consumes lives. [Apr 2011, p.72]"

PSM3 Magazine UK - 90
"Striking and confident compared to Origins' drab brownness. [Apr 2011, p.86]"

PC Gamer - 94
"The best RPG combat ever. Not gaming's best story, but maybe its best storytelling. Darker, sexier, better. [Mar 2011, p.64]"

Eurogamer Italy - 90

PC Games (Germany) - 88

Gamestar - 87

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
itxaka said:
So guys can you comment on the performance of very high in dx11? I heard that is still broken and a gtx460 gives you around 6fps. So exactly like in the demo :(

Sounds about right. I have a GTX480 and it was in the 5-20 range most of the time.

Xapati

Zzoram said:
A truly unique take on Sci-Fi or Fantasy is one where Humans are neither the dominant species nor the up-and-coming dominant species.

Not really. A unique take requires far more, for example a human society that is not exactly 1to1 like ours in space.

koji

_tetsuo_ said:
Sounds about right. I have a GTX480 and it was in the 5-20 range most of the time.

You guys using the latest nvidia beta drivers? They should have DA optimization.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7-winvista-64bit-267.24-beta-driver-uk.html

New in Release 267.24

* Adds SLI support for Homefront.
* Improves compatibility with Dragon Age II.
* Fixes an issue where the NVIDIA control panel may not be accessible via the Windows desktop.

Zeal said:
be careful, people on the official forums are reporting tons of problems with these.

i know this term is overused, but god what a clusterfuck.

Right, guess I missed that. Been using them myself yesterday, haven't played DA2 with them though (releases 10/03 here in Belgium)

antonz

itxaka said:
Ugh, are the grphics awesome or something like that or it's just broken?
just an Nvidia flaw. my ATI card runs DX11 perfectly.

Frankly this game is proving to be as disappointing as expected.Half the game seems to consist of running back and forth down the same corridors to earn money.

Any reviews over 80% are full of shit. Game Informer seems the most honest of all reviews so far in that 1 line.

Darklord

Banned
antonz said:
Frankly this game is proving to be as disappointing as expected.Half the game seems to consist of running back and forth down the same corridors to earn money.

Really sad to see Bioware fuck up this much. Even Mass Effect 1 which was flawed still had a rich and interesting game around it.

glaurung

Fix The Scientist said:
I really hate that dwarf, can i ignore him for the whole game and only see his ugly face a few times? or does he have a more central role?
In the demo he had an extremely important role. Apparently he could read.

X-Frame

antonz said:
Any reviews over 80% are full of shit. Game Informer seems the most honest of all reviews so far in that 1 line.
I agree dude.

Any review that you don't agree with must be full of shit, which is like .. all of them?

All the women in this game have massive tits. I'm sorry that I have nothing more to contribute at this time, but damn there are some hefty sized funbags doing the rounds on all the gals.

Just putting the finishing touches to my review, but here's the final paragraphs:

After the bad taste it left me with for the first couple of hours I'm happy to say after some 45 hours on PC and around 10 hours on Xbox 360 I really enjoyed Dragon Age II. If you use the systems the game offers to you fully and crank the difficulty up you've got some of the most addictive, tactically taxing RPG combat around.

Part of the problem is that the game lets you be lazy if you want - on normal you can absolutely cheese the system and ignore much of the depth - but I can't emphasize enough that if you want it there is still a massive amount of depth in Dragon Age II's streamlined gameplay, and it's incredibly fun when you use that depth and those options to the fullest.

Dragon Age II is without a doubt a really good game with a few small but glaring flaws - but the discussion about Dragon Age II doesn't need to be "is it good?" - It is - but needs to be "is this what fans wanted from a sequel to Dragon Age: Origins?" It's going to take a while for the answer to that question to become clear.

chase

APZonerunner said:
Just putting the finishing touches to my review, but here's the final paragraphs:

I'm going to have fun cranking the difficulty down and ignoring forced micromanagement. Can't wait!

Rahul

Acheteedo said:
Reviews so far:

The Escapist - 100
"The advancements in RPG mechanics would be enough to set it apart, but the real achievement of Dragon Age II is in the story-telling. I could point out the improved combat and graphics till there's blood covering my face, but BioWare is one of the few companies that uses the advanced computing power available to modern game designers to let you actually play a role."

After Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, this is so hard for me to believe. Can anyone attest to the storyline's quality? How is it better/different than Bioware's other games? What could possibly motivate The Escapist to give it 100 and claim that it's because of the storytelling?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are the cutscenes still rendered at low framerates? Both DA:O and the demo for Dragon Age 2 show cutscene animation at 30 fps even though the framerate may be higher. If there are particles in the background, you can see them moving at 60 while the characters move at half the framerate. Not a big deal, I suppose, but it would be nice to see things move a bit smoother.

endaround

Neo Member
Rahul said:
After Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, this is so hard for me to believe. Can anyone attest to the storyline's quality? How is it better/different than Bioware's other games? What could possibly motivate The Escapist to give it 100 and claim that it's because of the storytelling?
The Escapist review is garbage. And not because of the score but just reading it it reads like a cut & paste job from a PR info sheet. There is nothing in the review to suggest the reviewer finished the game.

chris-013

Hard is very difficult even with the most cheated class ie archer so...

APZonerunner said:

Did you kill the boss at the end of Act1 and 2 in Hard ?

chris-013 said:
Hard is very difficult even with the most cheated class ie archer so...

Did you kill the boss at the end of Act1 and 2 in Hard ?

2San said:
Do you recommend playing on Hard or Nightmare?

I did the whole thing on Hard on PC. As I was only playing it to check out the differences I did it on normal on 360 but switched to Hard for a few big battles to see how Hard felt on a console. Nightmare, I imagine, will be utterly fucked - my point is just that those complaining about it being dumbed down, put it on hard and it really isn't anymore.

Top Bottom