• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Fucking shit. Bought Origins on 360 even though PC version was vastly superior because i had a mediocre PC. Now I have a high end PC and buy the PC version and it plays like a console game. Plus they screwed Nvidia users. BIOWARE!!!!!!!!!!!! FUUUUUUUUU

dreamfall

RDreamer said:
Is anyone else getting freezing during conversations on the PS3 version? The game seems near unplayable. I'm only a short way in and I've had it freeze three freaking times so far.

I'm playing on PS3- while I haven't had any freezing in conversation, I can say that the character creation screen probably spent a good five minutes loading. I was worried it froze there! But it did not- just had to wait awhile.

On a side note, I am kind of worried about console differences... I played all of Origins/Awakenings on PS3, so I wanted to import my save. I wasn't entirely sure which platform to play on but I liked the history I established in previous titles!

X-Frame

Never got my Amazon order today, even though I selected Priority Overnight.

So I figured I'd try the online chat to ask them if they knew where the order was since UPS Tracking isn't updating for me at all and they completely refunded my shipping (~$10) and told me to wait another day or two to see if it shows up.

Pretty cool - but I just hope I get it eventually. It's the Signature Edition and if that goes missing or there was a problem I'd be pretty pissed.

RDreamer

dreamfall said:
I'm playing on PS3- while I haven't had any freezing in conversation, I can say that the character creation screen probably spent a good five minutes loading. I was worried it froze there! But it did not- just had to wait awhile.

That happened with me, too. But I'm getting a ton of actual freezing outside of that.

DennisK4 said:
And I just realised I need to upgrade to Vista SP2 for the DX10 effects. What a bother.
Wait, what the bloody hell? You are still using Vista? This is by far the most shocking thing I have read in this thread.

Ulairi

Banned
Crazypanda_85 said:
Just got home and it was waiting for me at my front door :)

As for the comments about the story in ME2 being crap, please give it a rest. I personally thought it had a great story but at the end of the day, we're only discussing opinions, not facts. I'm glad it's getting decent scores and will be enjoying it regardless. I also wish people wouldn't be so picky about their games. Just because someone gave it a 8 (which is a great score) doesn't mean it would be a 8 in your eyes. I have fallen a victim to that way too many times and ended up missing out on games I found out later to have loved and wasn't able to support the devs who made it (Sorry Clover Studios!).

If you're going to enjoy the game regardless of the scores why are you glad that it's getting decent scores?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Shitty downsized flickr images, but you get the idea. This is all maxed on DX11 with high res texture pack.

5510139797_a7414f7387_b.jpg

5510741212_74c0cac992_b.jpg

Puerto Rican Bethany

5510742534_0e4151dc05_b.jpg

Ulairi

Banned
DennisK4 said:
No it doesn't.

And I just realised I need to upgrade to Vista SP2 for the DX10 effects. What a bother.

Why wouldn't you be running the latest SP for whatever operating system you're using? It's free.

Lime

In conclusion all signs point to Dragon Age 2 being Bioware's worst game yet. That isn't saying much, since they do have a somewhat respectable catalogue, but nevertheless, just from the visuals alone, this project needed to be scrapped and everyone involved received a two-year course on how to create good video games.

Sidenote: Anyone think The Old Republic has had an impact on DA2's development? I know TOR is handled by a different team, but I wonder if Bioware's main resources and focus have been applied to TOR rather than DA2.

EDIT: lol @ the "Andraste's tits!" dialogue in the above screenshot. What was Bioware thinking?

Lime said:
In conclusion all signs point to Dragon Age 2 being Bioware's worst game yet. That isn't saying much, since they do have a somewhat respectable catalogue, but nevertheless, just from the visuals alone, this project needed to be scrapped and everyone involved received a two-year course on how to create good video games.
DA2 is the worst Bioware game? Yeah I doubt that.

Lime said:

Sidenote: Anyone think The Old Republic has had an impact on DA2's development? I know TOR is handled by a different team, but I wonder if Bioware's main resources and focus have been applied to TOR rather than DA2.

Well TOR is supposed to be huge and some of their writers from their past games are working on TOR as well. Also work on ME3 is also probably taking some talent and resources.

I don't know, I think DA2 is Bioware trying to experiment and creating a mess in the process.

RDreamer said:
Is anyone else getting freezing during conversations on the PS3 version? The game seems near unplayable. I'm only a short way in and I've had it freeze three freaking times so far.

Yes I've had it lock up and freeze quite a few times. Once during the beginning monologue and then a few times during battles.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lime said:

EDIT: lol @ the "Andraste's tits!" dialogue in the above screenshot. What was Bioware thinking?

Impossible. They made Neverwinter Nights!

Edit: And Sonic!

Lime

Rahxephon91 said:
DA2 is the worst Bioware game? Yeah I doubt that.

Oh right, they made that Sonic game? Well, DA2 is the second-worst game by Bioware.

HK-47 said:
Impossible. They made Neverwinter Nights!

I'd take NWN over DA2 any time, considering the modding capabilities Bioware provided for NWN.

Hmm think I'm gonna wait on this. I liked DA:O but to be it was a solid B game. This sounds like it could go either way with me but rather wait for some patches to possibly have it run better. I'll stick to Rift for now.

UberTag

Ceebs said:
Don't Forget Jade Empire. It's not NWN bad, but it's pretty awful.
IGN sure seemed to like it.
Anyhow, it looks like I'm going to return my sealed copy of the Signature Edition (X360) to GameStop for store credit once it arrives in the mail.

Ceebs

TheExodu5 said:
NWN is a bad game now?
It had one solid expansion and great mod/campaign tools but the rest of the stuff Bioware did for the game is so bad you have to wonder what sort of demonic contract they signed to make BG2.

Lime

Rahxephon91 said:
Not even close. DA2 isn't a bad game at all. You're just pulling shit out of your ass.

1) Worst in relation to Bioware's portfolio /= a bad game.
2) Which Bioware game is as (if not more) flawed as DA2, excluding the Sonic one? Jade Empire? MDK 2? Neverwinter Nights? I'm sorry but Dragon Age 2's relative poor quality in terms of visuals (techical and artistic), UI, writing, story, level design, and soundtrack has not been matched by other games made by Bioware. Imo.

Lime said:
1) Worst in relation to Bioware's portfolio /= a bad game.
2) Which Bioware game is as (if not more) flawed as DA2, excluding the Sonic one? Jade Empire? MDK 2? Neverwinter Nights? I'm sorry but Dragon Age 2's relative poor quality in terms of visuals (techical and artistic), UI, writing, story, level design, and soundtrack has not been matched by other games made by Bioware.
Mass Effect and Jade Empire are far worse in all those categories. Really all these are bad in DA. You people are just making up shit now.

The soundtrack is usual Bioware quality. There's nothing bad about it compared to their other games. The art? Jesus Christ, it's not even bad. The visuals? Did you play ME and DAO? Origins is incredibly ugly and Mass Effect on consoles is a technical mess. The writing? Bad? Compared to what? To the incredibly awkward romances in every Bioware game? Story? How the fuck do you know? Doubt you have completed the game. Level desgin? I'm sorry Mass Effects bland planets still take that.

UberTag said:
IGN sure seemed to like it.
Anyhow, it looks like I'm going to return my sealed copy of the Signature Edition (X360) to GameStop for store credit once it arrives in the mail.
That would be stupid. Sell that shit on eBay

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rahxephon91 said:
Mass Effect and Jade Empire are far worse in all those categories.

ME having a worse soundtrack, artistic visuals or story is hard to believe. Given the game looks like poop compared to DAO, which didnt beat ME in any of those categories.

vocab

Rahxephon91 said:
Mass Effect and Jade Empire are far worse in all those categories.

Mass effect has game play problems with some pretty repetitive dungeon crawling (the same aspect they put in DA2). The world, the characters, the lore, progression, the music, and the dialogue is all good. It's not a traditional RPG, but it's still an enjoyable game all the way too the end. I played the PC version. While it's not a great port, I still think it's better than some of the generic Jrpgs that plague the market today.

Xander51

Rahxephon91 said:
Not even close. DA2 isn't a bad game at all. You're just pulling shit out of your ass.

Agreed. This might actually be my favorite Bioware game so far, especially with regards to pacing. It moves at a good clip, and constantly gives me a few different things I can choose to do, and I never have to run across the whole world/galaxy to get to them.

RyanDG

Ceebs said:
It had one solid expansion and great mod/campaign tools but the rest of the stuff Bioware did for the game is so bad you have to wonder what sort of demonic contract they signed to make BG2.

I guess my thing is - when I judge Neverwinter Nights, I judge it solely on the mod tools and the community support, because that WAS the game. The actual campaign itself was nothing more than a sampler that you were able to use to see what you can do with the items they gave you, rather than a full fledged game in and of itself.

I thought most people viewed Neverwinter Nights that way.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Is the PC version light on specs? My old rig should play it better than the 360, and I know my GPU can handle it all, but well... shitty CPU. =P

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Xander51 said:
Agreed. This might actually be my favorite Bioware game so far, especially with regards to pacing. It moves at a good clip, and constantly gives me a few different things I can choose to do, and I never have to run across the whole world/galaxy to get to them.

Umm I dont remember a Bioware game that does?

HK-47 said:
ME having a worse soundtrack, artistic visuals or story is hard to believe. Given the game looks like poop compared to DAO, which didnt beat ME in any of those categories.
DA2 looks like poop compared to DA1? Really? Wow people are just hating on two now. Mass Effects story is just as bad as anything Bioware has done. I doubt DA2 ,which I doubt anyone knows enough about, story is anymore offensive.
vocab said:
Mass effect has game play problems with some pretty repetitive dungeon crawling (the same aspect they put in DA2). The world, the characters, the lore, progression, the music, and the dialogue is all good. It's not a traditional RPG, but it's still an enjoyable game all the way too the end. I played the PC version. While it's not a great port, I still think it's better than some of the generic Jrpgs that plague the market today.
Ok? I'm not sure what jrpgs have to do with this conversation.

Ok well this is all opinion. So is mine. I think Mass Effects lore and characters are pretty meh and the game is a bland looking technical mess on the 360. It was still an ok game. I see no reason to come down on Dragon Age 2, especially when we are already claiming the things like the story are bad. How? Who here has beat the game already? What makes it's story significantly worse then Mass Effect's "OH No ANCHIENT ALINES"?

I have no problem with people disliking Dragon Age 2, but now it just seems like people are are just hating on it to hate.

Gattsu25

Banned
JohngPR said:
Finally got my Signature Edition copy in the mail!

Also, for those that bought Dead Space 2 on PS3 but Dragon Age 2 on the PC, you can contact EA via their website and ask them to switch the Sir Isaac armor bonus from PS3 to PC and they'll do it for you no sweat:

QUOTE]May want to edit your email address out of that pic.  Just a FYI

Spookie

Man the dialogue is all kinds of hammy isn't it? At least the game kinda looks nice on High even if I only get a weak 50 frames. I normally wouldn't fret but my GFX card is just over a year old and an action RPG shouldn't be running this badly.

Getting a bit fucked off with EA and their PC ports recently: Dead Space 2, Bulletstorm and now this have had some really annoying issues out of the gate. I'm not putting money on Shift 2 till I know they have their head out of their arse.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rahxephon91 said:
DA2 looks like poop compared to DA1? Really? Wow people are just hating on two now. Mass Effects story is just as bad as anything Bioware has done. I doubt DA2 ,which I doubt anyone knows enough about, story is anymore offensive.

ME is a perfectly decent sci fi story. DAO was a perfectly mediocre fantasy story. They havent done a good fantasy tale since BG2. I'm not expecting a miracle. DAII is like ME2, there barely is a fucking story.

Salaadin

Is there a subtitle option somewhere and Im just blind? My game started with them but now theyre gone and I cant find a way to reenable.

Rahxephon91 said:
The story isn't the point of Mass Effect but yeah it's not very good.

ElectricBlue187 said:
The story isn't the point of Mass Effect but yeah it's not very good.
What was the point of it then? The terrible combat? The meh characters outside of 1 or 2? Visiting bland planets? Or visiting space malls while the cool looking city is beyond your reach?

Rahxephon91 said:
What was the point of it then? The terrible combat? The meh characters outside of 1 or 2? Visiting bland planets? Or visiting space malls while the cool looking city is beyond your reach?
You are starting to confused 1 and 2 here.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Salaadin said:
Is there a subtitle option somewhere and Im just blind? My game started with them but now theyre gone and I cant find a way to reenable.

Under the audio options on the PC.

MechaX said:
Hm.. Seems like reviews like this and Eurogamer's are hitting upon the same major points. While I think that voiced Hawke was a good move, it really sucks that no party member here rises to the level of Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana, etc..

This is my biggest complaint so far.

curious to see sales numbers for this game. because it's complete shit and all.

I compare it to a filet mignon (DA:O) vs. a mcdonalds hamburger (DA2). on the one hand it should be obvious which one is superior, but on the other it cannot be denied that mcdonalds sells an awful lot of their disgusting hamburgers.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Lime said:
I'd take NWN over DA2 any time, considering the modding capabilities Bioware provided for NWN.

The little bit of DA 2 I've played is better than NWN. I'm talking about campaign.

Lostconfused said:
You are starting to confused 1 and 2 here.
Um now that's Mass Effect 1 without a doubt. Mass Effect 2 may have a terrible uneventful plot, but the character ratio of good to bad ones is much better. The combat is better regardless of the sacrifices made to do so. The levels while corridors are better as they just aren't bland and repeating. Towns are still space malls, but at least places like Omega have great atmosphere.

Top Bottom