• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Erudite

The mid battle enemy spawning is really killing any sort of enjoyment I could get out of playing on Nightmare. By the time I manage to dispatch the original group, I'm already low on health and mana. How the fuck am I expected to take on a group twice in numbers right after?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So i take it from all the frustrated posts that DA2 does indeed have superior tactical combat to DA1.

me Jojo said:
The elves in this game look more like navis (from Avatar) than elves.

WHY
Unreliable narrator. Thats how Varric views elves.. its not necessarily how they appear to everyone else. Same with the Darkspawn changes.

delirium

Traced-Velocity said:
The mid battle enemy spawning is really killing any sort of enjoyment I could get out of playing on Nightmare. By the time I manage to dispatch the original group, I'm already low on health and mana. How the fuck am I expected to take on a group twice in numbers right after?
Yeah, I've pretty much given up and just play this like I would a dumb CoD-clone. I set it to normal and stop trying to be tactical. It's just not fun.

Zeliard

FlyinJ said:
I'm pretty sure I've seen the right side conversation options change after asking a few investigate questions.

The structure is always identical is the point. You're picking investigate so you don't miss new quests and such - you don't do so for the reason you should be, which is that you're actually interested in what the person has to say. Pick the left option, pick the two or three additional left options so you don't miss anything, then pick a right option to move it along.

The dialogue wheel is the complete opposite of an organic conversation system - it's structured to the point of meaninglessness. You're not having a conversation with these people. You're engaging in some goofy game of "don't miss anything on the dialogue wheel."

Dennis

Banned
Traced-Velocity said:
I hate this also.

You place your mage strategically and then suddenly - wham! - she is dead because of spawning enemies whilst you were busy elsewhere.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
DennisK4 said:
I hate this also.

You place your mage strategically and then suddenly - wham! - she is dead because of spawning enemies whilst you were busy elsewhere.
Are you sure they are spawning enemies and not stealthed enemies?

Lunchbox

Banned
DennisK4 said:
I hate this also.

make mage a range attacker, give her custom strat of if surrounded use repel/paralyze

she'll use the the knockdown/slowdown attack and run away from them to become a range attacker again. boom, never have to worry about mages dying

Ceebs

Lunchbox said:
make mage a range attacker, give her custom strat of if surrounded use repel/paralyze

she'll use the the knockdown/slowdown attack and run away from them to become a range attacker again. boom, never have to worry about mages dying
And then you have a group of fresh enemies with aggro on the mage. Add to this the chance you have no idea they are there thanks to the super zoomed in view limiting your view of the area.

Jin

Truant said:
Performance is terrible with DX10 and DX11 on nVidia cards. Someone needs to fix this.

It runs at 60 one moment, and 10 the other. It's more of a weird stuttering, actually.

Exactly what I'm experiencing. It runs decently, but sometimes like after you finish talking to a person or enter a new area it stutters for a few seconds as if the game is loading something, then it runs smoothly again. Very weird.

Salaadin

Lunchbox said:

Enemies just chase her around. If they spawn and attack her and she does damage to them, she now has all the hate and I have to spend time sending the rest of my melee to her to pull hate off of her.

I wouldnt mind if they spawned in the distance and then ran up because Id have time to catch them before they got the mage but its BS when youre mid fight and then they just drop down from the rafters above or something. You have no time to see them and ready yourself.

Tokubetsu

I feel like my two handed warrior is doing less damage than fucking Aveline and shes supposed to be the tank. I should have made a rogue.

Erudite

Lunchbox said:

And what if my Mage is currently limited to Winter's Grasp, Fireball, Horror, and Heal? If I were taking on this type encounter when I have more skills available to me, fine. But when each of my characters are limited to 2-4 skills, how am I suppose to over come a second wave of enemies with no recovery?

Patryn

Yeah, color me another one defeated by the waves of enemies coupled with speed. It doesn't help that I'm being a console peasant playing it on the 360, so I have to keep spamming A in order to do anything.

I was forced to drop difficulty down to normal from default hard. I just couldn't do tactics at the speed the game wants to play.

The other thing about speed is how it makes numbers for damage almost pointless. So much is going on, and attacks are flying so fast that I often have a hard time correlating which number relates to which attack.

Gvaz

Banned
Truant said:
Performance is terrible with DX10 and DX11 on nVidia cards. Someone needs to fix this.

It runs at 60 one moment, and 10 the other. It's more of a weird stuttering, actually.

SA forums user Spite had this to say on the engine which seems pretty interesting:

Spite said:
The renderer has some major flaws (same as DA1). For example, there's a large chunk of time it spends doing nothing while it waits for occlusion queries to finish. They probably should have torn it out and rewritten it, instead of adding a couple DX11 effects here and there, but they probably didn't have time.
Spite said:
I've only taken a quick loo, not done a full analysis. It's unlikely to make much of a difference on a new GPU, but on a slightly older card or laptop, it could be a big deal. Hard to tell how bad it is without doing a bunch of experiments.

Their renderer really looks quite simple, it's just that detail stands out because literally no other game does that since it ruins your pipelining. Every other game in the past 5 years will read back queries on the next frame - which you can notice in UE3 when objects pop in after a door is open, etc.

Lunchbox

Banned
Ceebs said:
And then you have a group of fresh enemies with aggro on the mage. Add to this the chance you have no idea they are there thanks to the super zoomed in view limiting your view of the area.
thats why you have a tank with taunt

i guess it works for me because i have a tank and a fast rogue to take the agro back from her. when she starts running the enemies give up

Jin

Gvaz said:
SA forums user Spite had this to say on the engine which seems pretty interesting:

If I'm understanding correctly DA2 is not efficient at streaming textures?

JoeBoy101

Tokubetsu said:
I feel like my two handed warrior is doing less damage than fucking Aveline and shes supposed to be the tank. I should have made a rogue.

Amen, brother. Two-handed does not do near enough damage comparatively. But then, you are striking as fast as a one-handed because GOD FORBID the game approach a rational speed for the combat and weapons. Some of the 2-Handed skills are nice though, like Whirlwind and Scythe. Nice AoE capabilities.

You want to sleep with your sister? Something you're not telling us here? D:

I'm sure its only because he's a warrior.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Lunchbox said:
thats why you have a tank with taunt
Except you used that on the last group because you didn't think there would two more groups of enemies.

I do not believe anyone can beat the game on Nightmare. Even on Hard the encounters are absurd.

Tokubetsu

JoeBoy101 said:
Amen, brother. Two-handed does not do near enough damage comparatively. But then, you are striking as fast as a one-handed because GOD FORBID the game approach a rational speed for the combat and weapons. Some of the 2-Handed skills are nice though, like Whirlwind and Scythe. Nice AoE capabilities.

I'm sure its only because he's a warrior.

Yea, its nice for crowd control.

Gvaz

Banned
Ah, I think I understand what he meant.

He was saying with UE3 games you know how when you open the door things pop in, and a low quality model loads then the textures start updating? Well instead this simply doesn't do anything and just waits instead. Probably increases overhead in sections, which would cause what feels like random drops in frame rate from drawing all the new elements in.

StuBurns

Banned
Hi GAF, I just watched the GiantBomb quick look and I was really impressed and I think I want to pick up the game, I just want to know if I should play the first one before this, would it matte if I played them backwards if I enjoyed the new one?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about 4 hours in and, overall, I'm enjoying the game, but I'm definitely not feeling the same excitement that I did with Dragon Age: Origins. I'm enjoying the presentation, the characters, and the atmosphere of Kirkwall, but I'm not very fond of the combat.

I'm playing on Hard, but it's not very fun. I think it's because there are so few utility abilities at this stage in the game. All I can really do is choose which targets to hit and when to use potions. The ridiculous cool down on the heal spell makes it a once-per-battle affair. I think I might switch to normal and just enjoy the story and characters, because combat is kind of boring right now. While the responsiveness is nice, I really miss the slower pacing of combat in the original. The fact that most battles seem to consist of "waves" of enemies is also really annoying.

Another thing I dislike is the artistic redesign of Elves, Qunari and Flemmeth. The Elves especially look like they just copied Avatar's Na'vi.

Traced-Velocity said:

I completely agree with this. It seems like every encounter starts with a group of enemies, and then, mid-fight, two more groups of enemies spawn on your flanks and you have to dispatch them all over.

Patryn

StuBurns said:
Hi GAF, I just watched the GiantBomb quick look and I was really impressed and I think I want to pick up the game, I just want to know if I should play the first one before this, would it matte if I played them backwards if I enjoyed the new one?

From everything I've read, there is very little connection between the first and the second beyond some references and a possibly changed quest or two. So feel free to jump right into DA2.

Peff

StuBurns said:

There is a save import feature but it seems to be hilarously irrelevant, so no problems.

I put 6 hours into the game last night, good times. I've barely scratched the surface in terms of the main narrative. I just ran around doing side quests that are so quick and gives me the "just one more" urge.

Combat is fun as it's been sped up from DAO. But I agree that respawning enemies are annoying as I'm coming straight out of DAO where what you see on the field is what you get. Also, normal difficulty is way too easy. It feels easier than console DAO's normal mode! I fought a Revenant without any problems, those guys were no joke in DAO and they feel like any other mob with a larger health bar in DA2.

As far as framed narrative goes, I like it. Yes, it would have been better to run through a few quests during your first year's debt repayment. But I'm okay with time skip and meeting random NPCs who know Hawke from his first year. It makes me feel that I'm learning about the character I'm playing while still defining who he is.
My Hawke worked with the mercenaries and the random NPCs made feel that they respect my Hawke, but thought he was better than group he worked with. Even when I went to talk to the mercenary leader for a possible side quest, Aveline quipped something to the effect of why work with this shady dude.

Family interactions are good too. You can learn a great deal about your deceased sibling.
Carver was the hot headed little brother that wanted to get out of big bro/sister Hawke's shadow
. Meanwhile little sister Bethany thinks you're awesome and looks up to you.

Speaking of Bethany, my Beth ended up looking like Hallie Berry. Kind of a bummer that the best designed female in the game is your little sister.
And I have a hunch that I won't be seeing her past the "get monies for the expedition" chapter. The fact that she doesn't have a specialized skill tree is alarming...

Im running with a sword & board warrior who im speccing as a damage dealer and off-tank. The skill tree setup is so much more diverse than DAO, at least for sword & board warriors. But u admit that I do miss my god-like dual wielding warrior. Anyways, I'm looking forward to diving back in tonight!

StuBurns

Banned
Patryn said:
From everything I've read, there is very little connection between the first and the second beyond some references and a possibly changed quest or two. So feel free to jump right into DA2.
Peff said:
There is a save import feature but it seems to be hilarously irrelevant, so no problems.
Thanks guys, I think I'll go straight for 2 then. In the quick look one of the guys mentioned that one of the characters had also been in the first one.

Dead

well not really...yet
Shit mountain aside, the game is pretty enjoyable.

I dont understand why EA/Bioware chose to reveal the game with the aptly nicknamed shit mountain. I mean, so far everything else after it looks tons better.

JoeBoy101

Zefah said:
Another thing I dislike is the artistic redesign of Elves, Qunari and Flemmeth. The Elves especially look like they just copied Avatar's Na'vi.

Agreed on the elves, though the changes for their eyes specifically I thought were better. They need to hit a fine medium between what they have now and before which was slender humans with pointy ears.

I liked the changes for the Qunari and Flemmeth, but felt it jarring because I then wanted those concepts in DA:O.

StuBurns said:
Thanks guys, I think I'll go straight for 2 then. In the quick look one of the guys mentioned that one of the characters had also been in the first one.

Two of the party members are from the original game, but are only side characters in it, not party members. One other character is from the expansion.

I'm hesitant to pick this up, is most the game revolved around kickwall, or is it like origins where you can choose where to go to carry on the story with lots of places and citys to visit

Dead

well not really...yet
Elves look pretty nice to me, especially the eyes and design patterns :shrug:

Speaking of designs, wtf is up with Bethany's hands?

During one of the cutscenes she raised her arms, and I swear she had the hands of ET :X

Mad_Ban

How irrelevant is the save import feature? Just so I can break down in tears from the irrelevant hours I've been putting in.

Hari Seldon

Mad_Ban said:
How irrelevant is the save import feature? Just so I can break down in tears from the irrelevant hours I've been putting in.

Looks to me pretty irrelevant but I am only 2 hours in. They say stuff like "All hail King _____" and I assume that will change based on your playthrough of DA1. :lol

Dennis

Banned
Dead said:
Elves look pretty nice to me, especially the eyes and design patterns :shrug:

Speaking of designs, wtf is up with Bethany's hands?

During one of the cutscenes she raised her arms, and I swear she had the hands of ET :X
wait,
doesn't Bethany die right away?

dimb

DennisK4 said:
wait,
doesn't Bethany die right away?
No. Although Bethany's
fate hangs on whether you bring her to the Deep Roads or not.
I feel like I'm not even halfway through the game and I already have three non-selectable party members because of my decisions. Pretty rad really.

Also, dat armor on Merril:
5c1d3404fb300d0e4abd190bd32a603e6b54af76.jpg

Peff

I think that's like Pokémon, if you choose Mage
you get a Melee class in Carver
, and the other two classes
get Bethany to have Magic in the early game

UnblessedSoul said:
I'm hesitant to pick this up, is most the game revolved around kickwall, or is it like origins where you can choose where to go to carry on the story with lots of places and citys to visit

All Kirkwall. Wouldn't say it hurts it though, it's pretty fleshed out city with both night/day. Downside is you leave an area and just transport to another.

dimb

SpudBud said:
Man, does Carver ever stop being an asshat?
I want to tell him to piss off, but he's such an amazing (and the only available) healer.

Top Bottom