• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Najaf said:
Um, I must have missed something. Where did my backstab/blindspot indicators go? So I guess positioning matters not in melee any more? Forgive if this is the dead horse being beaten. I have avoided much of the thread because I want a fresh perspective going in. Did the backstab get removed?

Backstab is a rogue dual wielding skill now. It automatically telelports you behind the enemy.

Ceebs

Dance In My Blood said:
Carver, Anders, who cares? They all ruin my girl party, where we talk about pirate legs and Avelene getting railed.

You will literally hear "master the taint" used with a sexual connotation. It is awesome.
Ugh...really? I know the writing in the game is juvenile, but it goes that far?

Grisby

Oh man, I'm trying to do the romance deal with Merriell but I've only had two conversations at her house with no friendship points or flirt option.

Got Fenris. Speak to him one time at his place and it gives me 20 friend points and a flirt option.

:/

PS3 and 360 versions roughly the same in quality? I'm not worried about tiny details, just wanna make sure one's not gimped or anything....

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ceebs said:
Ugh...really? I know the writing in the game is juvenile, but it goes that far?
It's a joke back to the first game. I didn't find it very offensive. The game just doesn't take itself super seriously all the time, and I think that levity is needed in a long RPG.

This game gets pretty dark on the other end of the coin, at least from what I've seen. One of the routes for your mom is pretty messed up.

Haha welp pretty much exactly what I expected. Increasing the cool down on every ability by 10 to 20 secconds and deciding to have extra enemies spawn every single fight turns everything into a giant mess.

Tactics are kinda useless now. You can't let a single ability go to waste by being used at the wrong time and I am not sure that you can create tactics that are accurate enough for that.

subversus said:
I see people complain about copypaste dungeons. Is it really that big problem? Probably this will decide if I get the game next month.

11 hours in and I've definitely noticed some copy/paste dungeons but it hasn't bothered me. There are a ton of side quests and quite a few of them are well done and somewhat lengthy.

I imagine the dungeons bothering people is on a person to person basis. I put up with it in Mass Effect 1 without a problem and I'm doing so with this game. They just don't bother me *shrug*

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ickman3400 said:
11 hours in and I've definitely noticed some copy/paste dungeons but it hasn't bothered me. There are a ton of side quests and quite a few of them are well done and somewhat lengthy.

I imagine the dungeons bothering people is on a person to person basis. I put up with it in Mass Effect 1 without a problem and I'm doing so with this game. They just don't bother me *shrug*

yeah, they didn't really bother me in ME1. But still it's lame to have them in AAA game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
delirium said:
So far my feelings on the game ~10 hours in (just started Chapter 2).

Pros:
* The NPC character design is much more interesting IMO. Making them only have upgradable armor (like ME2) allows them to have much better designs. In DA:O, having Morrigan wear any other armor other than her first one and the upgraded one ruins her character design.
* I actually like the way the plot is frame (a story). Like Alpha Protocol, it frames the story in a much more believable fashion (from what I witness of the prologue, chapter 1, and some of chapter 2).
* Slight neutral, but I like the faster combat. It feels much better low level then DA:O low level.
* The conversation wheel. The narration flows a lot more naturally with it.

Cons:
* The city design. Kirkwall is just ugly. You also have to spend the majority of the game in it.
* Area reusage. It reeks of bad design or the fact that Bioware rushed the game.
* Chapter 1. I just do not like most of the missions given. I know the plot is just like BG2, but the missions for it are just boring. Can't comment on the other chapters.
* The UI. Icons look horrible and the displays that show you if an enemy is stunned or disoriented is bad.
* Elves. Sorry, but they look ugly Na'vi.

Her character design was ruined from the get go.

canadian crowe said:
What is the difference between choosing night and day when fast traveling?
Different quests for sure. You'll also encounter random enemies at night. I think location are a little different too, but I may be wrong.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
canadian crowe said:
What is the difference between choosing night and day when fast traveling?

Some quests are day or night only. Also, you can grind in the city by going to bad neighborhoods at night.

FlyinJ said:
Some quests are day or night only. Also, you can grind in the city by going to bad neighborhoods at night.
Thanks. I guess they tell me when quests are available at night.

I'm enjoying the game way more than the first so far too.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
One thing that really bugged me about the "first copy" DLC (that you get in regular editions of the game) is that the chest you open gives you 2 free ability points and about 3/4 a bar of XP.

Doesn't that kind of defeat the entire purpose of playing an RPG? It's like saying "here, now you can either breeze through with zero fun or challenge the next 3 quests we made, or just ignore them entirely!"

When I saw what happened, I loaded a previous save and didn't open the box.

RS4-

canadian crowe said:
Thanks. I guess they tell me when quests are available at night.

I'm enjoying the game way more than the first so far too.
Yeah it tells you but it doesn't matter as it shows up in the fast travel menu.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Speaking of personalities, does anyone know if it's possible to alter any party member's personality like you could in DAO with Alistair and Lilianna?

You mean hardening them, like when Alastair finds his long-lost sister living in a slum and one of the options is to tell him to man up?

FlyinJ said:
One thing that really bugged me about the "first copy" DLC (that you get in regular editions of the game) is that the chest you open gives you 2 free ability points and about 3/4 a bar of XP.

Doesn't that kind of defeat the entire purpose of playing an RPG? It's like saying "here, now you can either breeze through with zero fun or challenge the next 3 quests we made, or just ignore them entirely!"

Yeah, it's kind of weird. I think I think I have 75% of the available promo items and that gear is powerful stuff. The blood dragon armor kind of broke DAO, I wore that through the majority of the game.

When I opened the box I got a level up, two more attribute points and 5 gold. Those all came from BioWare's last minute demo & facebook marketing campaigns. I'm actually using the Fadeshear sword, Lion shield, Seeker shield and all the trinkets. I shoved everything else in my storage box.

But I'd rather use that gear and the book bonuses than cheese the infinite XP glitch.

Guerillas in the Mist said:
You mean hardening them, like when Alastair finds his long-lost sister living in a slum and one of the options is to tell him to man up?
Exactly. Or when you can tell Lilianna that she is or isn't a killer after the Majorliane confrontation.

So is hardening, or "softening", possible in DA2?

aku08

FlyinJ said:

can you spam the 'bad neighborhoods'? or is there just a certain amount for a specific time?

and is there a level cap?

Speculator

BioWare Austin
aku08 said:
can you spam the 'bad neighborhoods'? or is there just a certain amount for a specific time?

and is there a level cap?

There is a cap, when you fight enough ambushes/waves, you receive a quest revealing their hideout and leader

Gvaz

Banned
FlyinJ said:

That xp is meaningless in the course of the game, any one of the fights is only 300xp, so you only get like four fights worth of xp.

Just hit the deep roads at the 10 hour mark... and so far I love this game. I take back everything bad I said about it after playing the demo. It's fun.

I'm surprised at all the links to the first game. Although many of them seem to be a throw away mention it's still nice. I took the default story (played origins on 360, got this for pc... too bad you can't import your story from linking your account to the bioware site, that would have been nice).

This game makes the Dragon Age world feel a little less generic, which is one of the things that soured the first game to me over time.

I wish the camera zoomed out a bit more and could unlock from the characters, and wish the world was a bit more open, but I think the combat is pretty good, especially on hard, several challenging fights where I needed to coordinate all my characters to win.

V_Arnold

So, still no one who knows how to get around the online authentication thing? :(
One more day till it becomes playable in EU -.-

Reluctant-Hero said:
Exactly. Or when you can tell Lilianna that she is or isn't a killer after the Majorliane confrontation.

So is hardening, or "softening", possible in DA2?

I kinda assumed that would be based on the friendship/rivalry thing.

I wonder if Carver becomes less of an ass if you Friend him.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
V_Arnold said:
So, still no one who knows how to get around the online authentication thing? :(
One more day till it becomes playable in EU -.-
Couldn't you just download a crack for it, or is it the Steam version?

X-Frame

Ok need help.

Just got home and am installing DA2 but when I go to redeem my Sig Edition codes apparently PSN is down now so it won't let me redeem.

Should I start playing regardless or wait until I can redeem them?

My first Hawke attempt.

5512926581_248034167e_z.jpg

5512930027_0a4f82c4c8_z.jpg

5513519600_51ac4d4dc9_z.jpg

Mostly satisfied with the outcome.

I just went with the default Hawke look (well, sans the face-stripe). I'll probably experiment with other looks in other playthroughs, because the game definitely seems to warrant those. I like it.

One cool thing I noticed with the character editor in relation to your sister is depending on what preset you choose to edit your character with, your sister reflects that preset's race. I moved the slider over to the blackish looking preset character and started tweaking from there and my sister looks blackish, I made an asianish toon to be sure and sure enough your sister...kinda looks it.

FallingEdge said:
I found out that you can still edit your character in game.

Dooooooooooooope!

How?!

X-Frame

Can anyone advise my earlier post?

The CHEST that your bonus items are in when you get to
Kirkwall
.. is it a one-time thing or can you always go back to that room with the chest to get the items?

Playing a mage with the default look for He-Hawke, because I feel the look suits him. I wasn't without my reservations, but so far, I'm really enjoying this game. Nightmare mode seems more of a challenge than it was in DA:O, and Varric is a great character. I'm still not sold on the new art style, and I miss my Dalish Elf Warden, but my expectations have at least been exceeded. :)

j-wood

Is this game really that bad?

I just purchased a 360 and really really want an action rpg. I'm trying fable 2, but so far that isn't cutting it (although I'm not that far into it).

I was really looking forward to this. I played some of the first one on the pc and it was pretty great (although the difficulty sucked).

So I guess again, is this not worth purchasing?

j-wood said:
Is this game really that bad?

I just purchased a 360 and really really want an action rpg. I'm trying fable 2, but so far that isn't cutting it (although I'm not that far into it).

I was really looking forward to this. I played some of the first one on the pc and it was pretty great (although the difficulty sucked).

So I guess again, is this not worth purchasing?

It's not an action RPG.

As for how good/bad it is? *shrug*

Will probably depend on your expectations/standards.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
X-Frame said:
Can anyone advise my earlier post?

The CHEST that your bonus items are in when you get to
Kirkwall
.. is it a one-time thing or can you always go back to that room with the chest to get the items?

You can always go back to it

Top Bottom