• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

JohngPR

Salaadin said:
Enemies just chase her around. If they spawn and attack her and she does damage to them, she now has all the hate and I have to spend time sending the rest of my melee to her to pull hate off of her.

I wouldnt mind if they spawned in the distance and then ran up because Id have time to catch them before they got the mage but its BS when youre mid fight and then they just drop down from the rafters above or something. You have no time to see them and ready yourself.

I know that Aveline has a taunt move where most enemies will break away from who they are attacking and go after her instead....maybe that will get the heat off of your mage? Not sure, I haven't gotten very far into the game yet. :p

delirium

So far my feelings on the game ~10 hours in (just started Chapter 2).

Pros:
* The NPC character design is much more interesting IMO. Making them only have upgradable armor (like ME2) allows them to have much better designs. In DA:O, having Morrigan wear any other armor other than her first one and the upgraded one ruins her character design.
* I actually like the way the plot is frame (a story). Like Alpha Protocol, it frames the story in a much more believable fashion (from what I witness of the prologue, chapter 1, and some of chapter 2).
* Slight neutral, but I like the faster combat. It feels much better low level then DA:O low level.
* The conversation wheel. The narration flows a lot more naturally with it.

Cons:
* The city design. Kirkwall is just ugly. You also have to spend the majority of the game in it.
* Area reusage. It reeks of bad design or the fact that Bioware rushed the game.
* Chapter 1. I just do not like most of the missions given. I know the plot is just like BG2, but the missions for it are just boring. Can't comment on the other chapters.
* The UI. Icons look horrible and the displays that show you if an enemy is stunned or disoriented is bad.
* Elves. Sorry, but they look ugly Na'vi.

JoeBoy101

Dance In My Blood said:
No. Although Bethany's
fate hangs on whether you bring her to the Deep Roads or not.
I feel like I'm not even halfway through the game and I already have three non-selectable party members because of my decisions. Pretty rad really.

Two questions, If I may.

1) Which three party members?

2)
About to go Deep Roads and just want to know the ramifications if I bring or don't bring Bethany. Also, are there similar consequences for the other party members with regards to the Deep Roads?

Thanks!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dark Stalkers said:
What happens if I don't bring her?
Nevermind, I just looked up the other half.
You lose her regardless of your choice.
JoeBoy101 said:
Two questions, If I may.

1) Which three party members?

2)
About to go Deep Roads and just want to know the ramifications if I bring or don't bring Bethany. Also, are there similar consequences for the other party members with regards to the Deep Roads?

Thanks!
1) Isabela, Fenris, and Bethany. Although I also could have lost Anders if I felt like it.
2) Turns out it doesn't make a difference.

Ceebs

leatherhat said:
So how awful is the PC version?
Sounds like it depends on if you have a Nvidia card or not. The game seems fine from a tech level and it running fine on my modest dual core and 4870 setup. It still looks kinda assy, but that is more of a style and art issue.

leatherhat said:
So how awful is the PC version?

In terms of performance? It's hit and miss. I have an i7 3.06ghz and a gtx 470 and I can use High settings with the high res texture pack and get 55-60 fps. If I turn on any of the DX11 features though or put it on Very High it plummets to 25-30 immediately. I've even seen it dip in the 16-19 range.

In terms of gameplay? It's really not a ton different from the first. I'm on normal and it's not hard but I do have people drop every now and then, mostly due to the 2nd or 3rd groups of enemies appearing out of nowhere. I've put 9 1/2 hours into it and I'm still only on year 2 (which is basically the first *real* year, year 1 is escaping Lothering from the demo and getting to Kirkwall). I'm enoying the game more than Origins so far.

JoeBoy101 said:
T
It's just for Bethany/Carver. Bring them and they die, or become a grey warden if you bring Anders too. Don't bring them and they join the circle of mages or the templars and leave your party anyway.

kamspy

DennisK4 said:
ahhh, I am playing mage

so now I am stuck with the ugly dude one....

great

That sucks. The early darkspawn fights are not at all indicative of what the rest of the game is like. It's heavily scripted with most of the battles ending after a timer or certain party status. Once you get through that and get to Kirkwall it's pretty much just like DA:O. They tried to make the shit mountain intro feel really overwhelming and hopeless, but hamfistedly they made it irritating and unlikable. The rest the game is basically DA:O 2. At least as far as I am ~6-7 hours in.

JoeBoy101

Basileus777 said:
It's just for Bethany/Carver. Bring them and they die, or become a grey warden if you bring Anders too. Don't bring them and they join the circles of mages or the templars and leave your party anyway.

Thanks. I don't mind since Merrill is my go-to girl for Magic.

Part of me regrets reading those spoilers, part of me is glad I now kinda know what to do. I'll just make my Hawke an accomplished future teller. :lol

Dennis

Banned
kamspy said:
That sucks. The early darkspawn fights are not at all indicative of what the rest of the game is like. It's heavily scripted with most of the battles ending after a timer or certain party status. Once you get through that and get to Kirkwall it's pretty much just like DA:O. They tried to make the shit mountain intro feel really overwhelming and hopeless, but hamfistedly they made it irritating and unlikable. The rest the game is basically DA:O 2. At least as far as I am ~6-7 hours in.
That is tremendously encouraging because the start sucks major balls.

dimb

JoeBoy101 said:
Thanks. I don't mind since Merrill is my go-to girl for Magic.
Good choice. Merrill opens up a lot of good dialogue options when she's in your party because she can sniff out blood magic.

Rubezh

I told Anders to piss off in Awakening and he never completed the Grey Warden joining ritual. Despite the save import, he still claims to be a Grey Warden. Shame that wasn't recognised.

Dance In My Blood said:
Good choice. Merrill opens up a lot of good dialogue options when she's in your party because she can sniff out blood magic.

Fenris gets a ton of dialogue too. He talks way more in quests and has options to take over more than everyone else I used.

JoeBoy101

Dance In My Blood said:

Varric has some good ones too for convincing people, aka, "Varric, tell them who we are," and the assorted answers to said statement.

Plus, I must admit, the party banter between Varric and Aveline and/or Merrill is priceless, from Aveline scaring the piss out of Varric to him constantly referring to Merrill as 'Daisy'.

DennisK4 said:
That is tremendously encouraging because the start sucks major balls.

Yeah, don't get too discouraged until you literally get into Kirkwall. That's not excuse the mess of the first 2 hours of gameplay or so, but its pretty non-indicative of the rest of the game.

webrunner

Can I ask what the general game progression is? In non spoiler terms, like:

Dragon Age:
- Origin Story
- Introduction and Induction into Grey Wardens
- Go solve each kingdom's problems to get help
- Get them to help defeat the Archdemon.

Mass Effect:
- Citadel and Becoming a Spectre
- Track down Saren and figure out his plot
- Find out what it is and make your way back to Citadel

Mass Effect 2:
- Collectors blow you up and steal people
- Build your team
- Make your team loyal
- Go fight the collectors

Also, how linear/directed is the plot? do you get to do a lot of map exploration or does it alwyas just point you to each major objective?

I hate how Aveline is the only NPC sword and board user. Unless you chose to use that style yourself, you're stuck with one tank option, though maybe you could go without one in this game considering how hard it is to hold aggro with all of those mid-battle spawns.

webrunner said:

Dragon Age:
- Origin Story

Mass Effect:

Mass Effect 2:
- Build your team
- Make your team loyal

Also, how linear/directed is the plot? do you get to do a lot of map exploration or does it alwyas just point you to each major objective?

Why would you want to know all this? :O Just play the game!

Edit: Or look at the game's website I suppose ¬_¬

webrunner

Mister_Bubbles said:
Why would you want to know all this? :O Just play the game!

I'm just curious as to how it works out? I wont be playing it for a while (ended up losing my DA1 save so I have to play through that again first) and also i'm trying to convince someone who hated the progression in DAO to maybe give DA2 a chance.

JoeBoy101

webrunner said:

Dragon Age:
- Origin Story

Mass Effect:

Mass Effect 2:
- Build your team
- Make your team loyal

Well, I am not that deep in the game, but there has been criticism laid on DA 2 for the lack of focus int he plot. To be succinct and to modify your list below:

Dragon Age: Origins
- Stop the Blight.

Mass Effect
- Stop Saren

Mass Effect 2:
- Stop the Collectors

So far in my playing, there is no single underlying single statement that summarizes the narrative arch in DA 2 past this one:

- Get Rich Or Die Trying

I'm not joking. The major plot points so far center on me making money and making my family comfortable. Period.

Although with regards to linearity, the first part of it is fairly open with when and where you can do quests.

EDIT: To your post below, its mostly directed. You stumble across very little to nothing in the game.

webrunner

JoeBoy101 said:
Well, I am not that deep in the game, but there has been criticism laid on DA 2 for the lack of focus int he plot. To be succinct and to modify your list below:

Dragon Age: Origins
- Stop the Blight.

Mass Effect
- Stop Saren

Mass Effect 2:
- Stop the Collectors

So far in my playing, there is no single underlying single statement that summarizes the narrative arch in DA 2 past this one:

- Get Rich Or Die Trying

I'm not joking. The major plot points so far center on me making money and making my family comfortable. Period.

Is it directed? Are you given "DO THIS TO GET MONEY OR DO THIS TO GET MONEY" or do you come across these kind of things yourself?

Gvaz

Banned
Basileus777 said:
I hate how Aveline is the only NPC sword and board user. Unless you chose to use that style yourself, you're stuck with one tank option, though maybe you could go without one in this game considering how hard it is to hold aggro with all of those mid-battle spawns.

Yeah, it'd be cool if there was a Shale type character to switch it up.

webrunner said:
I wont be playing it for a while (ended up losing my DA1 save.)

There was a DA:O save game creator posted a few pages back, you could use that :) Though it sounds like importing saves is a tad shaky in-game with regards to recognising previous choices anyway...

dimb

webrunner said:

Dragon Age:
- Origin Story

Mass Effect:

Mass Effect 2:
- Build your team
- Make your team loyal

It's kind of not in the same structure as other Bioware narratives, and the plot isn't really as simple. The main thread is more occluded because the game isn't about saving the world (from the 16-ish hours I've put in.

Basically though:
-Run away from Ferelden
-Establish yourself in Kirkwall
-Go To the Deep Roads
-Deal with political unrest in the city primarily revolving around the Quanari

That's about as far as I've gotten.

While the individual quests are fairly linear in that there is usually only one or two paths through a dungeon, there are branching decisions that change how quests play out. You can tackle side quests in any order you want before triggering the next phase of the game. The phase shift is made very obvious, so you won't accidentally trigger it, and afterward there is a time skip and the choices you made from before come into play.

That is pretty much DA2 in a nutshell.

chris-013

Basileus777 said:

I never tried but maybe you can use sword and shield on fenris.
Anyway on Hard, 2 Warriors 2 handed are better option for tanking imo.

Hard is easy if you upgrade weapons, if you stay with shit equipment the monters take too long to die. Yes the 50 gold will be longer to collect but you have all the time. ^^
I repeat myself but archers are OP, varric even more and the best buff in the game is haste.
You can use haste 2 time in battle, the spell is cheap on mana and last 10-20 sec.

Well, my savegame certainly imported perfectly.
Just encountered an NPC that described me burning down the city of Amaranthine, and how I dealt with the conspiring Nobles.
Pretty awesome.

Peff said:
I think that's like Pokémon, if you choose Mage
you get a Melee class in Carver
, and the other two classes
get Bethany to have Magic in the early game

In that case, I choose this one!

Dance In My Blood said:
I want to tell him to piss off, but he's such an amazing (and the only available) healer.

Wat?

Carver is a healer?

Does he restore HP by stabbing you with his sword?

Spookie

Jesus H Christ the combat picks up on hard after your first few encounters. Really getting rather enjoyable now.

Mobs are wiping the floor with me though :(

edit: Scratch that. Some fights simply cannot be beaten on hard. :/

Salaadin

JohngPR said:
I know that Aveline has a taunt move where most enemies will break away from who they are attacking and go after her instead....maybe that will get the heat off of your mage? Not sure, I haven't gotten very far into the game yet. :p

Ill dig around the skill trees tonight. I might not have that one yet.

One minor complaint I have are the skill trees. They look nicer but I hate having to click each tree individually. Too many clicks to get a skill compared to DA:O.

Bout 5 - 6 hours in and I'm loving the game.

Now that I have a well rounded party and some skills to play around with it is in essence just a faster Dragon Age Origins. Doesn't really feel streamlined or dumbed down, but instead just sped up with exaggerated animations.

The cast of NPCs is growing on me too, some of the banter is hilarious.

antonz

Spookie said:
Jesus H Christ the combat picks up on hard after your first few encounters. Really getting rather enjoyable now.

Mobs are wiping the floor with me though :(

edit: Scratch that. Some fights simply cannot be beaten on hard. :/
I had a few fights that even with proper group setup seemed impossible. the problem is tdropping difficulty and the same fight suddenly becames too easy. There really isnt a good balance in some areas.

Sir Garbageman said:
Bout 5 - 6 hours in and I'm loving the game.

Now that I have a well rounded party and some skills to play around with it is in essence just a faster Dragon Age Origins. Doesn't really feel streamlined or dumbed down, but instead just sped up with exaggerated animations.

The cast of NPCs is growing on me too, some of the banter is hilarious.
Isabela,Avaline and Merril are great for outlandish stuff. Talking about thumbs up asses etc

JoeBoy101

chris-013 said:
Omg just got my PC copy. I'm impressed after playing the 360 version, I think the PC version is much more beautiful !

Don't forget the PC patch for the Hi-Res textures, if your card can handle them. They make a big difference.

EDIT: BTW, anybody here read the comic Empowered? I ask, because when visiting Merrill at home, I'd swear she references the Demonwolf when exclaiming how 'dirty' her place looks.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I see people complain about copypaste dungeons. Is it really that big problem? Probably this will decide if I get the game next month.

gdt

Merril is fucking awesome. Just did the quest where I get her. Had to pause to run an errand, but I'll be right back on it.

Loving it.

dimb

Fimbulvetr said:
Wat?

Carver is a healer?

Does he restore HP by stabbing you with his sword?
Carver, Anders, who cares? They all ruin my girl party, where we talk about pirate legs and Avelene getting railed.

You will literally hear "master the taint" used with a sexual connotation. It is awesome.

Ceebs

subversus said:
I see people complain about copypaste dungeons. Is it really that big problem? Probably this will decide if I get the game next month.
There are a few versions of them, but yeah all the sidequest stuff so far uses the same template dungeons.

subversus said:

Has seemed that way for most of the non-Kirkwall quest related dungeons for me. I'm about 5-6 hours in?

JoeBoy101

Dance In My Blood said:
Carver, Anders, who cares? They all ruin my girl party, where we talk about pirate legs and Avelene getting railed.

You will literally hear "master the taint" used with a sexual connotation. It is awesome.

NOW, I may have to replace Varric with Isabella. I wanted an archer (and lockpick) but that sounds like it needs to be heard to be believed.

Najaf

Um, I must have missed something. Where did my backstab/blindspot indicators go? So I guess positioning matters not in melee any more? Forgive if this is the dead horse being beaten. I have avoided much of the thread because I want a fresh perspective going in. Did the backstab get removed?

dimb

Najaf said:
Um, I must have missed something. Where did my backstab/blindspot indicators go? So I guess positioning matters not in melee any more? Forgive if this is the dead horse being beaten. I have avoided much of the thread because I want a fresh perspective going in. Did the backstab get removed?
Nope. You still get more crits behind the enemy and they get more crits if they are hitting your back as well.

Top Bottom