• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Ceebs said:
Really? That fight felt like something out of WoW 4 years ago, but lacking any of the excitement of having other real people working together to pull it off. 20 seconds in and you knew what you had to do. Afterwards it was just the tedious process of whittling down it's health bar.
You're describing pretty much every über-enemy in RPG's now, though. I didn't find the battle particularly exciting, but taking the bastard down felt good.

Biggzy

I have decided to save my money and just wait till this cash in of a game comes down in price. Shame because i really enjoyed DA:O.

My Hawke:
2011-03-08_00001.jpg

2011-03-10_00004.jpg

I have to say that I like the character and equipment options a lot more in DA2. Also love the Mask of the Imperium (it's a "rogue helmet", I'm wearing it in the second pic) a lot more than the hoods they give mages to wear, it makes me look like something out of Conan The Barbarian. ;p

For those wondering, my skill line down in the second pic is Chain Lightning, Mind Blast, Horror, Stone Fist, Tempest, Hex of Torment, and Sleep, all but Mind Blast is from Entropy or Primal. It works pretty well for me. I've level 8 or 9 in that pic, specialized in Blood Magic but I've yet to unlock any of the abilities yet.

Don't know if this is considered a spoiler so I'll mark it any way.

For anyone who has completed the Night Terrors side quest, was is annoying or frustrating? I'm asking since it involves the Fade.

Hixx

Can finally play :D

After I find a way to install the high res' textures, cos it says it isn't finding my install (Steam version) :(

Ceebs said:
Really? That fight felt like something out of WoW 4 years ago, but lacking any of the excitement of having other real people working together to pull it off. 20 seconds in and you knew what you had to do. Afterwards it was just the tedious process of whittling down it's health bar.

That fight and most fights in this game are way more fun than raiding in MMOs is for me. Managing 4 characters, none of whom have fixed, single purpose roles, and keeping them all doing the right things is way more interesting than sitting there doing the same thing over and over. If a bunch of small rock wraith appeared I would have to check everybody, see who had what abilities available to kill them/control them/slow them down at that moment or I'd lose (playing on hard). Even with a pause button it was a lot more 'thinking on your feet' than most MMOs i've played where you are controlling one character who is VERY specialized.

Deadly

hank_tree said:
There's a quest where you have to go around finding them. Maybe you don't have it yet?
Hmm so if I read it I can't complete the quest? I'll save and try every option then :lol

Speculator

BioWare Austin
HixxSAFC said:
Can finally play :D

After I find a way to install the high res' textures, cos it says it isn't finding my install (Steam version) :(

As an alternative method, you can also open up the exe with 7zip and extract the files into their proper directories if that might not work.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
LastWindow said:
Don't know if this is considered a spoiler so I'll mark it any way.

For anyone who has completed the Night Terrors side quest, was is annoying or frustrating? I'm asking since it involves the Fade.
It's pretty cool. Takes like all of 3 or 4 minutes, isn't a maze.

Also, fuck the High Dragon. Seriously.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Yet another customized Lady Hawke.

JvLI9.jpg

MFyz7.jpg

Combined with the voice acting she's very... Lara Croft-ish. Purely by accident, but it's grown on me.

Anyways, I've just gotten out of the
Deep Roads
and am very happy to find all sorts of new scenes and banter. Oh, and that humongous pile of letters/quests, heh.

Ceebs

wayward archer said:
That fight and most fights in this game are way more fun than raiding in MMOs is for me. Managing 4 characters, none of whom have fixed, single purpose roles, and keeping them all doing the right things is way more interesting than sitting there doing the same thing over and over. If a bunch of small rock wraith appeared I would have to check everybody, see who had what abilities available to kill them/control them/slow them down at that moment or I'd lose (playing on hard). Even with a pause button it was a lot more 'thinking on your feet' than most MMOs i've played where you are controlling one character who is VERY specialized.
Just the opposite for me. Once I know what to do it's just a matter of doing it long enough which is not my favorite thing in the world. When I am in control of everything I know nothing is going to go astray that will require some on the fly thinking.

The lack of the pulled back view is starting to drive me nuts playing an archer. Half the time I can't select the enemy I want to target unless I switch to a melee character>select all>target what I wanted>retask everyone else leaving my archer on the target. It's a huge pain in the ass.

Einbroch

Banned
canadian crowe said:
Any advice on who is the best healer? I've got Anders as a healer, but he seems really useless (I've have his tactics set correctly too).
Anders. Panacea active at all times + one or two beneficial auras, only casting Heal, group heal, res, and glyph of paralysis.

The Panacea aura is enough to heal most of my party through weaker encounters. Throw in another Mage with Arcane shield upgraded to effect everyone and you have one tough party.

Einbroch said:
Anders. Panacea active at all times + one or two beneficial auras, only casting Heal, group heal, res, and glyph of paralysis.

The Panacea aura is enough to heal most of my party through weaker encounters. Throw in another Mage with Arcane shield upgraded to effect everyone and you have one tough party.

Thanks. I had Wynne for most of DA:O and never had to bother with her she just did the healing automatically.

Geoff9920

Blue Ninja said:
I used the default. If it's on the cover, I have trouble making another face for the character. Same with Mass Effect, the majority of my characters use the default John Shepard face.

I just beat the
Ancient Rock Wraith in the Deep Roads... Holy hell, that was a hard battle. Really had to use tactics for that one.
You aren't kidding, that fight was much harder than anything previous. Glad I beat on the first try especially since it took forever.

Geoff9920 said:
You aren't kidding, that fight was much harder than anything previous. Glad I beat on the first try especially since it took forever.
Took me two tries, got hopelessly overwhelmed on my first. Went back in, and started using my tactics screen for the first time since I started the game (I hadn't really needed it up 'till that point), and it still took about fifteen minutes, but I got the job done.

Ogs said:
Just reached, Kirkwall, seem to be having some strange pauses during cut scenes before someone talks. Anyone else have this ?
That's just how the game's built. Cutscenes and dialog scenes are different parts of the game, and they haven't yet succeeded in making a seamless transition between the two. You could find the same problem in DA1, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2.

Geoff9920

Blue Ninja said:
Took me two tries, got hopelessly overwhelmed on my first. Went back in, and started using my tactics screen for the first time since I started the game (I hadn't really needed it up 'till that point), and it still took about fifteen minutes, but I got the job done.

That's just how the game's built. Cutscenes and dialog scenes are different parts of the game, and they haven't yet succeeded in making a seamless transition between the two. You could find the same problem in DA1, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2.
I'm just glad I had Anders in the party spec'd with Panacea Aura & group heal.

RyanDG

Can someone who has the console versions of DA2 do a favor for me?

Look in your instruction manual and see if it actually has any mention of the auto-attack function or how to access it?

I know its been determined that it was supposedly an error at that last moment that caused this issue, but I'm curious if the instruction manual itself makes any mention if it being an attack possibility in the game.

Ferrio

Banned
Acidote said:

Holy fuck. Ya fuck you bioware.

2. EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC.

Because the BioWare community now operates under the same umbrella as all EA Communities, community members here have all explicitly agreed to abide by and be governed by both sets of rules. Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you're going to follow.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I never played the first DA game, but I definitly see what people meant regarding Mass Effect not having the party banter these games have. I'm loving the combination of Isabella and Merril.

Ferrio

Banned
RyanDG said:
I would really like to know if the guy's statement for why he got banned (ie, asking if Bioware has sold their soul to the EA devil or some such), really was the reason. Because this is a little disturbing if you get screwed out of paid content for something as innocuous at that.

You should *never* be banned from games you paid for, no matter what you did. Restricted from online content for hacking etc is fine... but restricting all access to the games is WRONG.

This really needs it's own thread.

Blue Ninja said:

Sorry, i meant just normal in-game chat bits, not where it transitions between FMV and in-game. For example the first merchant i spoke too in Kirkwall, there was about a 5 second pause when he turned to speak to me.

Wow, all the BioWare staff posts I've read come off extremely dickish.

As for the singleplayer ban thing, it seems to be related to the EA terms of service... thing is, I've never heard of this happening before for anyone playing a singleplayer EA game. Pretty ridiculous.

RyanDG

Revolutionary said:

As for the singleplayer ban thing, it seems to be related to the EA terms of service... thing is, I've never heard of this happening before for anyone playing a singleplayer EA game. Pretty ridiculous.

The reason why it worked out this way is because he hadn't activated the game yet and it's now tied to his banned acct. If he had previously activated the game, he would still be able to play the game itself, but no the DLC content (from what I'm reading - since that content would've been previously used with his previous acct). Its definitely a really crappy thing and rather ridiculous. I would love to see if it was really for the reason he stated, because if so, this is a rather large problem in the current content delivery system for EA.

Hixx

Ogs said:
Sorry, i meant just normal in-game chat bits, not where it transitions between FMV and in-game. For example the first merchant i spoke too in Kirkwall, there was about a 5 second pause when he turned to speak to me.

Not had any problems but did have that in the demo.

Kind of underwhelmed by the beginning of the game, the Origins in DAO were handled better imo. Only an hour in though, my biggest annoyance is how stupendously large I made my FemHawke's cheek bones. This always happens with character creators, they don't look too out of proportion on those screens but when you get in game it's like 'how the shit did I not see how daft that looks!?' How long till I can access the Black Emporium to fix her?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Revolutionary said:

Generally the ones where they're very informative don't get posted around.

It's kind of like how CliffyB's really interesting GDC speech got barely any coverage, but him making a Heavy Rain joke was front page news everywhere.

Acidote

RyanDG said:
The reason why it worked out this way is because he hadn't activated the game yet and it's now tied to his banned acct. If he had previously activated the game, he would still be able to play the game itself, but no the DLC content (from what I'm reading - since that content would've been previously used with his previous acct). Its definitely a really crappy thing and rather ridiculous. I would love to see if it was really for the reason he stated, because if so, this is a rather large problem in the current content delivery system for EA.

The community bans should be completely separate from game bans. Everyone should be able to activate their games or play the DLC they own without having to make a new account. If you're already bothering your customers with DRM online activation crap, you shouldn't bother them with anything else.

Goon Boon

Banned
Nirolak said:
Generally the ones where they're very informative don't get posted around.

It's kind of like how CliffyB's really interesting GDC speech got barely any coverage, but him making a Heavy Rain joke was front page news everywhere.

If it were a one off it wouldn't be that big of an issue, but I've seen more than a handful of these quotes and dickish posts. Just one would be painting a guy wrong like how everyone quoted the guy who called the Wii two gamecubes duct-taped together, this Stanley Woo guy reminds me more of Derek Smart.

RDreamer

Anyone have any tips for the guy at the end of the Wayward Son questline? I want to do this fight, but this is way harder than anything I've encountered in the game. I may have to turn things back down to normal.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Beat it today. Took something like 24 hours, and the game pulled me into the end sequence as I was going to turn in unrelated side quests.

Coming away from the entirety of the game I cannot help but be confused. Both by the content of the story itself and as to what Bioware was thinking when they made this game. The game effectively trivialized content on all fronts, and ultimately I was left wondering what, if anything, I had accomplished.

Really the game tries to do more and just kind of...flounders. Their hopes to create a better combat system backfired completely. While the game is snappier, game balance is completely absent. Even though you might want to bring a specific character along the game steps in on anything about Casual and says "no". You need a very specific group combination, and very specific specs for them to fall into the traditional healer/tank/dps roles. The number of available companions for you to work that structure with ultimately leaves for little, if any choice, and the game can actively work to fuck you over by requiring you to take specific party members along for extended sections of the game.

Because of the balance issues, at no point did I ever feel compelled to really dig into the combat system here. However this issue is further exasperated by how obscenely thin the veil of padding is in this game. The game traps you in this extraordinarily bland and hollow city that is populated by a bunch of respawning assholes who have no agenda other than to clog the channel the game is currently tunneling you down. Within the context of the story it makes even less sense that groups of 30-40 enemies constantly throw their lives away for you to grind experience on them. Everyone knows you are the deadly "Champion", who pretty much kills everyone and every thing, and still they hassle you, fail to yield in verbal confrontation involving threats, and generally throw themselves at the opportunity to fall on your sword.

The side story is just...awful. I don't know what else to say. Nothing has real impact on the characters. Logic is thrown out the window. You will help your companions do horrible, mostorous things and they will not have a word to say about it afterward, and their demeanor will take no hit. It is like essential dialogue is completely missing. It makes everyone seem like a raving sociopath.

The main story is somehow worse. There is little to no direction, and little ties Hawke to Kirkwall. The main plot of Templars vs. Mages is the same note over and over, and everyone you ever meet in this game will be an irrational dick. I really just don't understand why I was there. At one point, one of your party members gain a boat, and brings up the prospect of sailing away and going to do whatever, and all I could think about was, "save me with that and take me away from this shit". Hawke is an inexplicable presence bound to a city without reason. At no point does it make sense for your player character to not just walk away from the political mess of Kirkwall, especially once it becomes apparent that Fereldin is once again habitable.

This game is just so completely misguided on all fronts, that the positive review scores it has seen so far are completely befuddling. It isn't without some redeeming points, but most of the compliments in the positive reviews seem astoundingly fallacious.

1up's review says the game took them 43 hours. 43 hours. That is...fucking absurd.

MechaX

The fact that it's what, day 5 or so and I'm still trying to rationalize picking this game up for $60 is not a good sign. I don't think I've ever debated on whether or not to pick up a game for more than an hour, let alone days after ward. Such is the power of DAII.

MechaX said:
The fact that it's what, day 5 or so and I'm still trying to rationalize picking this game up for $60 is not a good sign. I don't think I've ever debated on whether or not to pick up a game for more than an hour, let alone days after ward. Such is the power of DAII.
Don't have access to any place that would rent you the game?

MechaX

Lostconfused said:
Don't have access to any place that would rent you the game?

Nowhere close. With Hollywood Video going belly up, my only option is Blockbuster which isn't quite close. Gamefly I suppose is another option, but I never really dabbled in their services.

jackdoe

MechaX said:
At least you aren't rationalizing whether you spent $60 wisely after purchasing it. Which is what I'm doing right now. The game's various elements just feel so disconnected, something which was a problem in the DAO expansion Awakenings. And the whole Nvidia and very high setting issues, not to mention the lack of information regarding modding tools.

Durante

I don't think the large range of reported play times (18-45 hours) is that surprising. It was similar if slightly less extreme for Origins. Now, in DA2, battles on normal should be much quicker, while it seems that between the interface degradation and the requirement to actively control more than just mages on Nightmare a pause-based tactical playstyle could take even longer for a similar encounter than in the first game.

It wouldn't surprise me if the same battle takes 10 times longer on Nightmare than on Normal.

Top Bottom