• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

I'm 30 hours in playing on hard and not done yet, though I've been doing every quest and have left the game idling a bit. I don't think taking 40 hours to beat this game is "absurd."

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Durante said:
I don't think the large range of reported play times (18-45 hours) is that surprising. It was similar if slightly less extreme for Origins. Now, in DA2, battles on normal should be much quicker, while it seems that between the interface degradation and the requirement to actively control more than just mages on Nightmare a pause-based tactical playstyle could take even longer for a similar encounter than in the first game.

It wouldn't surprise me if the same battle takes 10 times longer on Nightmare than on Normal.

I think the people being done ~18 hours and doing all the sidequests is pretty insane to think about. I'm on normal, and the game has sooo much side stuff to do. I'm doing them all before I go onto the deep roads and go into act 2 and I'm already at 12 hours.

Hobs

Neo Member
The amount of side quests are relatively small in number after deep roads, I think I spent 22 hours before deep roads and 10 for the remaining game.

Really enjoyed the game, even with the recurring dungeons that have been mentioned to death already, I was hooked until the very end.

X-Frame

Question: How exactly do I get to Act 2?

I don't want to do a quest that will boot me from this first year so I have time to do all the side-quests first.

gdt

X-Frame said:
Question: How exactly do I get to Act 2?

I don't want to do a quest that will boot me from this first year so I have time to do all the side-quests first.

Deep Roads will shoot you into Act 2. You can't go there by mistake, seeing as Varric's brother warns you like 8 times to take care of all your business before you go.

antonz

miladesn said:
without spoiling anything, does this game explain ending of 'The Witch Hunt' in anyway? y/n
No this game is so ever loosely tied to the original. Without Cameos and such you could get away with thsi being an entirely different series

X-Frame

gdt5016 said:
Deep Roads will shoot you into Act 2. You can't go there by mistake, seeing as Varric's brother warns you like 8 times to take care of all your business before you go.
Sweet thanks. Just wanted to make sure no other Main Plot items would advance me.

Xevren

jackdoe said:
Yep. Such a waste. He should have voiced male Hawke.

I'm going to wait to use him for a complete asshole playthrough with him, since it's kind of fitting. He seems pretty badass.

Started this today on PC, I can only run it on DX9 with my rig, and wow at the visuals, everything looks awkward, I know it's not on high settings but damn, I expected a lot more.
Was pleasantly surprised by the combat, at least so far I am, playing as a warrior and the attacks feel like attacks not just swinging around a weightless sword.
The conversations/dialog wheel seem much better this time round, though I'm only 2 hours in so can't really comment on the story yet. But at least for the moment it looks promising and better then I thought it was going to be.

jackdoe

CadaveriaIX said:
Started this today on PC, I can only run it on DX9 with my rig, and wow at the visuals, everything looks awkward, I know it's not on high settings but damn, I expected a lot more.
Was pleasantly surprised by the combat, at least so far I am, playing as a warrior and the attacks feel like attacks not just swinging around a weightless sword.
The conversations/dialog wheel seem much better this time round, though I'm only 2 hours in so can't really comment on the story yet. But at least for the moment it looks promising and better then I thought it was going to be.
Medium settings look like ass. The lighting just looks flat and awful.

For anyone who has completed Herbalist's Tasks (2), I need some help finding a Varterral. I read elsewhere that I encounter it through a sidequest of Merrill. Where and how do I get access to this?

gdt

Rahxephon91 said:
This is quite possibly the laziest made game I have ever played.

The copy paste still isn't as bad as ME1.

It's crazy that they repeated the same mistake they absolutely fixed for ME2.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The copy paste areas suck, but I'm enjoying the combat enough to atleast not have it affect me that much...unlike ME1.

gdt5016 said:

It's easy to repeat that mistake when you are trying to find corners to cut in order to get this game made in less than 2 years. It's a real shame.

gdt5016 said:
I would say that's debatable. At least in the copy paste department. I will accept that the planet design in ME1 was incredibly lazy in the sense that its as if some one went in some kind of a terrain brush and just fucked up a flat surface into some kind of an insane mess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Basileus777 said:
It's easy to repeat that mistake when you are trying to find corners to cut in order to get this game made in less than 2 years. It's a real shame.
Makes you wonder about ME3 coming out a year after ME2, don't it?

zoner said:

It does, but I think they are more willing to throw the manpower and money needed at the ME franchise to make these kinds of design decisions unnecessary.

zoner said:
Different teams. I don't think its shocking to expect the team who made ME 1 and 2 to do a better job of making a Mass Effect game than the team who made Origins. Also the gameplay is pretty much solid at this point and they don't have to spend time working on those mechanics anymore. Most of their time is probably spent on creating new art and environments.

gdt5016 said:

But it's not even that.

You can barely interact with your team members outside of thier quests. Remember in DA1 you could talk to them all the time.

Romances are poorly developed for some characters at least. It's like Anders is already in love with you after 1 conversation. In 1 you you had to continually talk to your members, the romances were way more developed then they are in 2.

The copy and paste developments are worse then ME1. In ME1 tere were at least numerous locales. You basically seem to stay in 1 area for a good portion of the game. They couldn't even make Kirkwall interesting and put effort to make the areas deverse and interesting. They are so bland it's not even funny. When you go to say the Red Light District, you should make it seem like it's totally different from the rest of the city. In DA2 it's just some lights and whatever. Outside of that the areas basically repeat, but there aren't that many anyway.

I mean I still like the game, because it's fun. But man it sucks that I defended this game at all. It's so rushed and it feels so poorly handled. What happen Bioware?

zoner said:
Actually it does. The short development time and the fact that all the pr points to earth being the focus make me kind of worried about it as well.

antonz

Rahxephon91 said:
But it's not even that.

You can barely interact with your team members outside of thier quests. Remember in DA1 you could talk to them all the time.

Romances are poorly developed for some characters at least. It's like Anders is already in love with you after 1 conversation. In 1 you you had to continually talk to your members, the romances were way more developed then they are in 2.

The copy and paste developments are worse then ME1. In ME1 tere were at least numerous locales. You basically seem to stay in 1 area for a good portion of the game. They couldn't even make Kirkwall interesting and put effort to make the areas deverse and interesting. They are so bland it's not even funny. When you go to say the Red Light District, you should make it seem like it's totally different from the rest of the city. In DA2 it's just some lights and whatever. Outside of that the areas basically repeat, but there aren't that many anyway.

I mean I still like the game, because it's fun. But man it sucks that I defended this game at all. It's so rushed and it feels so poorly handled. What happen Bioware?
Yep mentioned it before. Anders is basically ready to blow you the moment you meet him. Isabela the self titled whore isnt even that easy to fuck. Fenris is not much better. They basically approached it that all gay characters are super sluts ready to fuck anytime

zoner said:

Mass Effect 3 coming almost 2 years after Mass Effect 2. Plus, the team already started working on Mass Effect 3 before the 2nd one came out.

Edgeward

X-Frame said:
Wow, that was my third time where DA2 froze and I had to hard restart my PS3.

I think on my 3rd time as well, just got one now. Fix this shit, Bioware. At the very least saving isn't as annoying and slow as in Origins on ps3.

X-Frame

Edgeward said:
I think on my 3rd time as well, just got one now. Fix this shit, Bioware. At the very least saving isn't as annoying and slow as in Origins on ps3.

The good thing is that DA2 auto-saves like every minute or something. I always seem to go back to right before I froze, so it hasn't really hurt me yet other than probably hurting my PS3.

antonz

Fimbulvetr said:
1 step forward, 3 steps back. :/
It really is in that regard. I was playing male character so had no intention of getting with any of the male characters. It was shocking to see how easy the male characters were just by meeting them they were rearing ready to go

Just finished the game.. it's very clear that the whole thing was rushed, pretty much a guarantee that Bioware will release an expansion or bombard us with DLC

24 hours.. spent the beginning part of the game tackling every side quest
photoih.jpg

hamchan

I'm 13 hours in doing every side quest I possibly can. I'm quite liking it so far. Biggest gripes are the copy and paste dungeons and Kirkwall being kinda dull.

Also sarcastic Hawke FTW.

the Witcher 2 will eat this fucker for breakfast and shit him out before lunch.. ill be surprised if Dragon Age 2 gets nominated for GOTY

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
mercenar1e said:
the Witcher 2 will eat this fucker for breakfast and shit him out before lunch.. ill be surprised if Dragon Age 2 gets nominated for GOTY
It will. And it will sell twenty times as much as Witcher 2.
It's Bioware. It's what dudebros now consider their 'serious' company. Their fans are even worse than Blizzard's.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
X-Frame said:
Makes me wonder how much they're going to release as DLC -- probably a crap load.
If you hit "Continue" after you beat the game you get a pop up saying as much.

Grisby

antonz said:
It really is in that regard. I was playing male character so had no intention of getting with any of the male characters. It was shocking to see how easy the male characters were just by meeting them they were rearing ready to go

Yeah, its crazy. I'm in Act 2 still trying to get a chance to use the super 'flirt' heart option on Merriell. Shes at full 100% friendship rating too but nothing going.

On the other hand Anders and Fenris were ready to rock my world.

Was this posted yet?

Inon Zur said:
Unlike other titles from Bioware, this [score] was kind of a rush job. EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now. So I'd like to know if there are bugs, or if there's anything we could patch or fix. [Editor's note: Zur is speaking about bugs in the score only; he had no involvement with the rest of the game's development.]

http://music.ign.com/articles/115/1154594p1.html

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to get your guys to "hold" a position yet still attack nearby enemies? It seems like the "hold" command tells the whole group to hold... not just one person. If I tell, say, my mages to "go to" a location, they'll run over there and run right back into the fight. If I switch on "hold", even though I only have them selected, they'll stay in place and cast spells. Unfortunately my tank will just stand where she is and not attack anything around her unless I hit "go anywhere", which causes my mages to idiotically run into the fight again. Ugh.

DanielJr82

samus4ever said:
Mass Effect 3 coming almost 2 years after Mass Effect 2. Plus, the team already started working on Mass Effect 3 before the 2nd one came out.
I was just about to write this. Mass Effect 2 came out in January of 2010, people. Mass Effect 3 is scheduled for holidays 2011, that's two weeks shy of January 2012. Do the math, lol.

Top Bottom