• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Grisby

Jesus, I'm finding my two handed warrior Hawke just isn't dealin' the damage. :( Seems like a mage should have been the way to go.

Grisby said:
Jesus, I'm finding my two handed warrior Hawke just isn't dealin' the damage. :( Seems like a mage should have been the way to go.

I found the best way to use Hawke is sword and shield combo. I was using a giant sledgehammer and it just wasn't working later in the game, because enemies would kill you because your defense is too low.

MrDaravon

God damn it, is it possible to get your friendship maxed with people without them wanting to fuck you? I'm rolling a female Hawke with Anders, Merrill and Varric. I'm going for the Achievement for getting 4 friendships. I got Bethanye's, so I need 3 more, and that team is the one I basically planned on rolling with. I've already got Varric's Friendship maxed, and I'm working on Merrill's. But there's practically nothing I can do to improve my friendship with Anders without flirting with him, and it's incredibly annoying.

X-Frame

Grisby said:

How have you been distributing attribute points? I have been doing pretty much 3 strength for every 1 constitution (or whatever the Health is now, I forget).

My FemHawke is the greatest damage dealer -- though maybe that has something to do with the weapon I am using? I am using whatever I got from the Sig Edition.

I mean using the Scythe attack to lunge into groups of enemies then following that up with Whirlwind will take out most enemies so that the rest of my party can focus on the big fish.

Gvaz

Banned
Grisby said:

In terms of raw damage I've found:

Rogue > Mage > Archer > Warrior > SnB

With more available utility the lower the damage.

Lostconfused said:
On the other hand they completely ruined Sandal.

Agreed.

I just finished the game and it took me 25 hours. Twenty Five hours. And that included doing all the side quests. My first DA:O play through took me 47.

I feel like I bought half a game,
there's 20 hours missing. When the game ended, I didn't even realise it was over, I was like cool, he's told the story so far, what next, then the credits came along.
WTF?

All in all I thought the game was great, I loved the combat, the copy-pasta was a bit lame but yeah, I liked it and will play it through 2 more times and buy the DLC / expansion.

Also i only encountered 2 annoying bugs on 360 - 1) The hitting sounds for my char stopped working and 2) NPC's and walls textures were not loading so alls i saw was white

Grisby said:

Seriously I picked a 2H warrior because I figure it would do the most normal damage when it's probably the worst. Only now, 26 hours later after some tweaking in the attributes/abilities and finding a nice weapon can I do decent damage. I say only decent, because usually when I'm taking on an enemy alone I'm hurting him gradually, then Isabella would come over and 2 shot him with her sissy daggers

...ok :(

suzu

SailorDaravon said:
God damn it, is it possible to get your friendship maxed with people without them wanting to fuck you? I'm rolling a female Hawke with Anders, Merrill and Varric. I'm going for the Achievement for getting 4 friendships. I got Bethanye's, so I need 3 more, and that team is the one I basically planned on rolling with. I've already got Varric's Friendship maxed, and I'm working on Merrill's. But there's practically nothing I can do to improve my friendship with Anders without flirting with him, and it's incredibly annoying.
Just bring him along quests and be nice to mages. You don't have to click on the heart/flirt option at all. I find he is rather easy lol.

Nekrono

Wow so I just started playing this game on PC and Im about 2 hours in... what a fucking disappointment so far, everything seems dumbed down from Origins, I know it's too early to tell but so far it's the first impression, oh and it's definitely a button smasher but there's no support for a controller on PC? lol, also wtfisthisshit.gif at the fucking dx11 performance??? I find that playing on dx11, "Very High", Hi-res texture pack, SSAO on, DoF on and Motion Blur with 8xAA and 16xAF is THE ONLY way to make the game look barely decent but this fucking performance is killing it, getting 25-30 fps with a 6950 is bullshit, especially when I just switch to "High" and turn off SSAO and get 60+ frames everywhere.

What makes it worst is that I feel no motivation at all to keep playing, nothing is bringing me back to the game to continue playing, maybe if the at least fixed the dx11 performance... that would be a start.

Darklord

Banned
Lostconfused said:

FUUUUUUUU-
ikjuTk.gif

subversus said:
enchantment! guy?

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO HIM????

He talks a little too much in this one, and a little too often. It ruins the novelty.

He's not exactly barking out coherent sentences, but he says way more than "hallo" or "ENCHANTMENT!!!" now.

gdt

23 hours in, just digging into chapter 2 right now.

Allllmost got Merril's love I think. It's hard because pairing her with Anders means I'll lose friendship with him when I gain with her.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ickman3400 said:
He talks a little too much in this one, and a little too often. It ruins the novelty.

He's not exactly barking out coherent sentences, but he says way more than "hallo" or "ENCHANTMENT!!!" now.

dawson_crying.gif

Grisby

X-Frame said:
How have you been distributing attribute points? I have been doing pretty much 3 strength for every 1 constitution (or whatever the Health is now, I forget).

My FemHawke is the greatest damage dealer -- though maybe that has something to do with the weapon I am using? I am using whatever I got from the Sig Edition.

I mean using the Scythe attack to lunge into groups of enemies then following that up with Whirlwind will take out most enemies so that the rest of my party can focus on the big fish.

Oh, don't get me wrong I can take out the smaller guys pretty easily. Just when it comes to boss characters and mid-tier guys is when I have the trouble.

I think I've been distributing the points pretty well. Ah, might respec for sword and shield.

chris-013

Do you use haste upgraded and heroic aura upgraded ? Buffs are very powerful.
I still think archer > everyone. With haste I can do 150 damage per sec with auto-attack and ~500 damage with skill.
It's even more crazy when you add the skill to critical hit every attack and skills (last 10 sec).

Ickman3400 said:
Seriously I picked a 2H warrior because I figure it would do the most normal damage when it's probably the worst. Only now, 26 hours later after some tweaking in the attributes/abilities and finding a nice weapon can I do decent damage. I say only decent, because usually when I'm taking on an enemy alone I'm hurting him gradually, then Isabella would come over and 2 shot him with her sissy daggers

...ok :(

Yeah. The Two handed weapon has been turned into crowd control. Which is fine, except for when you are dealing with a boss, and there is only one enemy to worry about. I think it should be tweaked to do more direct damage and less crowd damage, but oh well. I just pump everything in strength, minimum constitution to wear armor. Gotten me through most of Act II on hard without a problem. I still use the two-hander, but bring Isabella for damage, and mages for buffing/damage as well.

So according to my save game ive been playing for 10 hours, and im just about to start the expedition. Am i doing it wrong ?

Fucking side quests driving me nuts, finally clear of em

I'll fool around with this again, if no one else is having similar disc read issues then maybe my xbox really is going south. I hope not though, REALLY can't afford that right now.

Ogs said:
So according to my save game ive been playing for 10 hours, and im just about to start the expedition. Am i doing it wrong ?

Fucking side quests driving me nuts, finally clear of em

You're supposed to beat it in 8 hours and moan about the graphics the entire time.

You're doing it wrong.

Hixx

Varric & Isabella's banter is a lot of fun. I can't believe I have basically just done 11 hours of side quests but to be fair I didn't find it boring. Though the 'find random item, deliver it to random person' quests were so lazily done.

'Oh, these human remains? I thought I'd never see them again!'

Dear me!

Just over 12 hours on the clock and finally going to talk to Bartrand to start the expedition.

Grisby

RiderKairuu said:
I'll fool around with this again, if no one else is having similar disc read issues then maybe my xbox really is going south. I hope not though, REALLY can't afford that right now.

Sorry bro, I haven't had any. You might have said this eariler but have you tried just installing it on the xbox?

Gvaz

Banned
Ogs said:

How...? It took me 18 hours, give or take an hour of me alt tabbing and min/maxing my characters and stats.

Visceir

-no tactical zoomed out view
-copy/paste levels
-enemies appearing out of thin air in the middle of the battle
Couldn't help but think back to FF XII and how in that game everything in the beginning took place in this one big city but then branched out into an amazing world. This game feels like it has 1/10 of FF XII's content.
Didn't really like how the story was told and more than once some characters did something that didn't really fit with their character just to move the plot along.
Orsino suddenly deciding to use blood magic. Anders blowing up the chantry...made no sense

Kinda felt like everything my character got involved in turned to shit
Ending spoilers:
Ended up killing Merrill's clan (was there actually a way to activate the mirror and find out what it did?)
Anders ended up killing a young mage girl and blowing up the chantry, shame I couldn't kill him right then and there.
Fenris ended up killing his sister and fighting on the Templars' side.
Hawke's mother ended up getting murdered and his brother left to join the Templars and fought against him.
The Arishok attacked the city after Hawke had provoked him.
Isabela ran off somewhere and never came back.

Gvaz

Banned
hank_tree said:
It took me about 8 hours on my first playthrough to get to that point.

Around 8 hours I had all the characters, did a bunch of sidequests, but there was still TONS of sidequests left. That ten hours is how long roughly it took me to finish every single quest you can get in act 1.

And another in the "Annoying as Shit"-bossfight department. BioWare, might as well strip 'm out of DAIII, if this is how you want to do them.

I accepted the Arishok's challenge to a duel, but the son of a bitch has a shitload of health and every time I bring him down to the middle level he uses one of his unlimited health potions.
Who at BioWare could have possibly thought this was a good idea? Same with his
"stick the player on your sword and bleed him dry"-routine

I like Dragon Age II a lot, but shit like this is just... Not done, BioWare.

Has anyone else noticed how most of the codex entries are a 1:1 copy from origins?
The flemeth origin story , shades and other monsters etc.

They didn't even bother to rewrite or expand upon those...

hank_tree

Gvaz said:
Around 8 hours I had all the characters, did a bunch of sidequests, but there was still TONS of sidequests left. That ten hours is how long roughly it took me to finish every single quest you can get in act 1.

I had literally nothing left to do except the deep roads at the 8 hour mark. That includes Exiled Prince quests and finding some codex stuff needed for achievements etc. I had just under 90 gold from all the sidequests although I had spent some on potions and armour upgrades so I don't think I missed anything.

angelfly

What does it mean when the mana pool is partly cut off like the health when injured? Merill's is like that and I'm not sure how to fix it.

kamspy

If anyone on Nvidia DX10 hardware is having the frame rate problems, I've found a solution. The 267.26 beta drivers stopped the frame drops for me and other people on the Bioware forum. Before, the game ran around 20fps with hard drops down to 0fps, now it's running around 30-45 with no significant drops. The high res texture pack does nothing in the DX9 renderer and the addition of AF make it worth the drops from 60fps in DX9 for me. The drivers out there are just for 560 GTX, so you have to modify the .inf file to include your card. I had never modded drivers before and it's a very straightforward process. Google it up.

I'm still expecting a patch or driver update to bring the game up to 60fps with DX10 features. I can't imagine why not. There are some major optimization problems, even with the beta driver. DA:O uses my CPU and GPU to their full potential, on DA2 I'm getting around 60% usage on each.

I'm digging the game. Varric is awesome. They should have called this game Varric Age. I never met such a stone cold dwarven pimp. I say retcon the whole story and make the franchise about Varric.

Erasus

SneakyStephan said:
Has anyone else noticed how most of the codex entries are a 1:1 copy from origins?
The flemeth origin story , shades and other monsters etc.

They didn't even bother to rewrite or expand upon those...

Yea I checked out som enemy codex and the Flemeth one. Still interesting to read as I have forgotten some from Origins, but that is another sign to that this might be a rushed game..

I do enjoy the combat and graphics look fine to me (PC) Playing on medium with high res pack.

delirium

The end game makes no fucking sense at all. The plot feels like a kid's anime show.

EDIT: After finishing this game, I feel Alpha Protocol is the superior RPG compared to this game.

kamspy

Alpha Protocol is superior to most RPGs this gen. Not sure I understand what you mean. That's a pretty high watermark for any developer to hit.

Top Bottom