• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sold into KE either. The abilities don't really appeal to me that much and on top that, it being presumably (factually?) overpowered renders it unviable in my eyes, as I actually like challenge.

I think I'm going to go with Rift Mage when the time comes.

Make a save game before you pick, that's my advice. I'm sitting here stunned right now, so pissed off. Nearly 20 hours into my char and now I can't enjoy it further because I know I'll always be gimped having a specialization I don't use.

Ralemont

not me
95 hours and I'm 99% done. Just finished the main story. This isn't going to be pleasant to say but..

..and let me add that I voted DA2 as the most disappointing game of that year..

...DA2 is better game than DA:I. It's quite amazing how many bad decisions they made during the development of DA:I. Maybe they fixed some of the issues of DA2, but oh man did they introduce a whole bunch of new ones. Now I fear Witcher 3 will make all the same mistakes again by going for more open world design that doesn't serve the game at all. More isn't better, adding quantity on top of a core 20-30 hour quality experience rarely helps any game. I wish DA:I was a 30 hour game without the open world and all the bars to fill that ultimately serve no purpose at all.

I wholeheartedly disagree. A 30 hour game without regions would have served this game poorly. The premise is forming the Inquisition and restoring order to Southern Thedas. In order for the Inquisition to even be taken seriously in the role it plays in the main story, it needs to legitimize itself by demonstrably being an organization that the people of Thedas rally around. You can see this in the Hinterlands from the very start. If you find apostate caches, and clear out rogue Templar and mage groups, you'll start to see refugee camps popping up around the Hinterlands, and they are all talking about the Inquisition: how it gave them blankets and asked nothing in return, how they made the roads safe to walk again, etc. Much more than Dragon Age 2 claimed to be, Inquisition is about a rise to power, one that through your actions actually feels merited.

Other zones are less about the Inquisition's growth and more about exploration and lore for the sake of it. These zones I definitely enjoyed less, but I can appreciate the different viewpoints on a zone like the Hissing Wastes:

But what does “nothing” really mean? There is something everywhere in a game. There has to be, because someone somewhere spent hours building the form and rules to sustain five seconds of “nothing”. In reality, the Hissing Wastes are full of things to stumble upon, but there is no flag to plant by a statue half-lost to the creeping sands. There’s no quest marker for watching the silhouette of a fox cresting a ridge in front of the imposing milk-white disk of the moon. When you do finally arrive at a “something” on the map, it’s made that much sweeter by how isolated and elusive it is. You’re knee-deep in the snow, searching for warm embers again. These places, these moments, these experiences are evidently “nothing” because they’re unmarked.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/01/the-open-space-and-hissing-wastes-of-dragon-age-in.html

So much build up and potential, so little payoff.

He's definitely underwhelming, but I find his role works thematically in spite of that:

I do think he's the perfect antagonist for Inquisition thematically. He's someone who was given a path by his Gods, betrayed, and now he's feeling lost and abandoned. You know, just like everyone else in Thedas feels after the Breach. Cory's solution is to take the place of a god to instill the order and justice he feels the world deserves. His vision of the future conflicts with your interests so he must necessarily be the antagonist, but I think the despair that serves as the root of all his motivations is very interesting and, dare I say, relatable. Having him call out to Dumat one last time before the Inquisitor pwns him was, I think, weirdly poignant.

In the end Corypheus becomes a villain to be pitied, not feared.

Their decision to change the healing potion/healing system didn't really serve any purpose. That was supposed to make balancing encounters and sections of the game easier and better but in the end they decided to add potion supply points at every corner during story missions.

Right, because they wanted to balance the boss fights to the tune of your maximum amount of potions. I find the removal of healing (which is a bit of a misnomer, since you have 3 different HP recovery potion types along with Vivienne's Focus ability) to work strategically. Preventing damage will always lead to more strategic gameplay than healing it. Healing is reactive; it requires less planning. Barriers aren't a perfect solution, but you do need to think about positioning and when to use them
unless you are a Knight Enchanter :p
This is all theoretical of course since Nightmare is a bit too easy to really highlight the advantages of the system. DA: I actually has a lot of wrinkles to its combat that players are neverthelesss never forced to learn because the game isn't difficult enough (I wonder how many players know how to proc the Nightmare status effect, for example?). With that being said, the AI system is abysmal and I hope they get around whatever engine limitations necessitated such a frustrating degradation from DA2's tactics system.

What a disappointment. DA:O remains so far ahead of the other games in the series.

DA: O contains a lot of garbage filler, with the difference being most of it is contained within the main questline. Regardless, I really liked exploring Inquisition's zones, and I think the combat works well from the perspective of a real-time system with occasional tactical ordering.

abundant

best specialization for Rogue? I think I'm going to do Assassin. I have many of the Double Daggers already.

Tempest is a fun specialization to use as a duel dagger rouge. Slowing down time with Flask of Lightning or spamming abilities like crazy with Flask of Fire never gets old and Thousand Cuts is one of the strongest moves in the game.

Just be forewarned that the Tempest is also broken thanks to the Flask of Fire + Thousand Cuts exploit, so if you want the game to be even a little bit challenging, then don't use it (the exploit, not the specialization).

Chitown B

Tempest is a fun specialization to use as a duel dagger rouge. Slowing down time with Flask of Lightning or spamming abilities like crazy with Flask of Fire never gets old and Thousand Cuts is one of the strongest moves in the game.

Just be forewarned that the Tempest is also broken thanks to the Flask of Fire + Thousand Cuts exploit, so if you want the game to be even a little bit challenging, then don't use it (the exploit, not the specialization).

hmm thanks. So if I want an easy button if necessary, use Tempest ;)

StMeph

I went Knight Enchanter because everyone said it was so good but I honestly hate it and feel like I've ruined my game because you can't repick. Being a paper mele Mage wasn't what I wanted for this character, I wish I could go something else :/

Make a save game before you pick, that's my advice. I'm sitting here stunned right now, so pissed off. Nearly 20 hours into my char and now I can't enjoy it further because I know I'll always be gimped having a specialization I don't use.

If you don't like Knight-Enchanter as a playstyle, that's certainly a legitimate opinion, but to describe it as a "paper" melee Mage is basically impossible, so I would have to guess you're either playing it wrong, or aren't high enough level for it to come together, because K-E are basically immortal.

Zareka

Is the story worth playing through the game for? As in are there any big revelations about Dragon Age as a whole, not just Inquisition, that are worth the journey for? This game is a huge disappointment so far and I've decided to return it but I'll finish the main quests/companion quests if they're worth the effort.

I'm mostly interested in Origins stuff I guess. Stuff about my Warden etc. Also, if I've
just reached Skyhold
, how much story stuff have I got left? Will I be able to finish it quick or will it drag on if I'm already losing interest because I've played 50 hours of filler?

Khal_B

95 hours and I'm 99% done. Just finished the main story. This isn't going to be pleasant to say but..

..and let me add that I voted DA2 as the most disappointing game of that year..

...DA2 is better game than DA:I.

Better game? Not so sure. But strangely enough I enjoyed DA2 more than Inquisition. I was more engrossed in that world and it's characters, constricted as they were.

The overwhelming amount of non-relevant content to the main story really threw me off and hindered the flow of the game for me, optional or not.

Is the story worth playing through the game for? As in are there any big revelations about Dragon Age as a whole, not just Inquisition, that are worth the journey for? This game is a huge disappointment so far and I've decided to return it but I'll finish the main quests/companion quests if they're worth the effort.

I'm mostly interested in Origins stuff I guess. Stuff about my Warden etc. Also, if I've
just reached Skyhold
, how much story stuff have I got left? Will I be able to finish it quick or will it drag on if I'm already losing interest because I've played 50 hours of filler?

There are some big story elements involved but they are all spread around the last story missions. If your Warden survived DA:O you will find out a little about their new mission, also, you meet Morrigan
in the Orlesian ball mission
and depending on your Warden's relationship with her more about him or her might be revealed (there is extra dialogue with Morrigan about the HoF if you went with her through the Eluvian for example, answers about the dark ritual too).

The last three missions "What pride had wrought", "The last piece" and the epilogue to "Doom upon all the world" reveal some heavy hitting lore and storyline elements which will no doubt have consequences for Thedas in the future.

All in all, if you're not having fun with the side content, focus on getting power in whatever way you enjoy the most and complete the main story, it is worth in the end IMO. Although the end of the first act is pretty good, the game only truly starts going after Skyhold.

Chitown B

I'm really sick of the revive button. I constantly go up to someone and hit A, and I jump. then I hold A, and it doesn't start reviving. Third time's the charm and then by that point I'm already half health standing around.

Also, the game time is so messed up. If you pause the game it keeps running, and if you suspend on the X1, it keeps running. So it says I have 61 hours played. But I probably only have like 15.

So just slayed my first Dragon in Crestwood. Got a whole bunch of goodies. Soo...what should I do?

I just finished the Winter Palace intrigue story mission, and my peeps are between 14 and 16 level.

I'm about 8 hours in and I am still conflicted with this game. I chose a warrior which I had to respec cause I felt I was getting nowhere with and still am feeling that way at times. Once I start really liking it something happens to make me not like it as much, like enemies going from weak to powerful for instance. Combat is simple but I still feel weak most of the time and the sidequests leave a lot to be desired.

I don't think its a bad game by any means but I am wondering if it will eventually click with me or should I expect it to be the same basic stuff from here on out. I am currently with Dorian where everyone has turned into an infected gem stone.

I'm about 8 hours in and I am still conflicted with this game. I chose a warrior which I had to respec cause I felt I was getting nowhere with and still am feeling that way at times. Once I start really liking it something happens to make me not like it as much, like enemies going from weak to powerful for instance. Combat is simple but I still feel weak most of the time and the sidequests leave a lot to be desired.

I don't think its a bad game by any means but I am wondering if it will eventually click with me or should I expect it to be the same basic stuff from here on out. I am currently with Dorian where everyone has turned into an infected gem stone.

The role of a warrior isnt to feel powerful. Your just a damage sponge. If you want to feel powerful. Make a rogue or a mage. Rogue for single target damage and Mage is for AoE damage.

abundant

The role of a warrior isnt to feel powerful. Your just a damage sponge. If you want to feel powerful. Make a rogue or a mage. Rogue for single target damage and Mage is for AoE damage.

Only 1H warriors are supposed to be damage sponges.

Iron Bull sure doesn't sponge much for me. He's always dying.
You probably made him a 2H warriors, which are meant for DPS and not for tanking.

Maybesew

I'm about 6 hours in on my rogue. I started with daggers, but swtiched to archer and my damage went up, but I swtiched back to daggers when Sera joined. It's been year's since I played DA:O, is it not possible to swtich weapons quickly and easily? I feel like I remember using a bow at a distance and being able to switch to daggers.

I don't expect to one shot everything nor do I want to. It just feels like my hits do next to nothing.

For reference my 1H Inquisitor at level 18 is doing around 300 damage per hit
Varric as an Archer is critting more often that not and hitting for 3k+
Vivienne as a Knight Enchanter can do upwards of 1k damage to multiple targets with Fire Mine

You can re-spec to a 2 Handed Warrior but I wouldn't recommend it for nightmare.

Paganmoon

So played through the prologue (took me a while, I like exploring, even if there isn't much to explore), and these are some of the observations.

* I need a walk button! (using KB+M), ruins the atmosphere when you're in town and just running around
* I need a black emporium, so I can switch my characters face, it's starting to annoy me already.
* The tactical view is too finicky, doesn't zoom out enough, so it's hard to get a good overview, and the camera movement is too "loose", it's going to take a while to get used to, but as it stands, it's not good enough. Might give tactical a complete pass and just go third person and just control my char.
* Companion app (at least for Windows Phone) is just for MP it seems, so no access to Codex entries you unlock, big letdown. One of the better things about the companion app for AC: Unity, was that you could access unlocked database entries on it.
* Auto-settings for graphics isn't optimized it seems, had way to high settings for me, resulting in a very fluctuating FPS, took a while for me to get a good stable FPS.

Pluses:
* Game looks gorgeous.
* Cassandra is bad ass.
* It's a new Dragon Age!

Haven't played enough to give any kind of verdict on gameplay or story, but so far so good (minus the tactical view).

Zareka

There are some big story elements involved but they are all spread around the last story missions. If your Warden survived DA:O you will find out a little about their new mission, also, you meet Morrigan
in the Orlesian ball mission
and depending on your Warden's relationship with her more about him or her might be revealed (there is extra dialogue with Morrigan about the HoF if you went with her through the Eluvian for example, answers about the dark ritual too).

The last three missions "What pride had wrought", "The last piece" and the epilogue to "Doom upon all the world" reveal some heavy hitting lore and storyline elements which will no doubt have consequences for Thedas in the future.

All in all, if you're not having fun with the side content, focus on getting power in whatever way you enjoy the most and complete the main story, it is worth in the end IMO. Although the end of the first act is pretty good, the game only truly starts going after Skyhold.
Got it, thank you. I think I'm gonna try and burst through to the end to at least see what happens. I'm currently grinding power to
look for the Warden with Hawke
and then go to
the Orlesian Ball
. Hopefully it'll go in alright.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
MFW I hope to "pop in" to the hissing waste to quickly nab the last shard I need to open the doors and see the bloody size f it
Queen-of-England-Looking-at-her-nails-Olympics-2012-London.gif

I could complete ENTIRE GAMES in the time it will take me to find everything in this map

It's truly miraculous that I stumbled across the dragon. Was a good fight too, only had half of health potions by that point and three of my party were around half health. The git got me once.

I could trot around on my battle nug, but I don't like missing herbs or metals, especially when I'm in need of a herb found here to complete about five of my potion upgrades

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't like Knight-Enchanter as a playstyle, that's certainly a legitimate opinion, but to describe it as a "paper" melee Mage is basically impossible, so I would have to guess you're either playing it wrong, or aren't high enough level for it to come together, because K-E are basically immortal.

I'm level 10.

Hugstable

Banned
Hey so I'm just starting out in the game, and was wanting to go with a Dual Wielding Rogue to try out as my first class since I heard they can be really fun, and I was just wondering if it would be better to go with Human or Qunari for this? I heard something about Qunari having restrictions on certain armors for mage class, is this true for Qunari Rogues as well?

Chitown B

what the fuck is up with the bears in this game? they're harder to beat than most bosses and just come out of nowhere. Sometimes I get two at once! It's bullshit.

Lexxism

There's something wrong with my character lighting. I wonder what's wrong?

edit: it's okay on Hinterlands. Is this glitch in Western approach or something?
Early game I get mine from either Redcliffe Village or Val Royeux.
Then once I'm higher level I get it from either out and about or the perk.

Ah. I guess I need to look around more and I did see that one perk about armours.

Lucreto

So if I plan on using Iron Bull as my damage dealer should I work on giving him the best armour with % physical defence ability? I plan on playing on Hard mode.

Platinum'd at 70 hours. Incredible game, Nightmare was ridiculously challenging at first and I loved ever second.

9/10 from me, some annoying glitches and horrid slowdown issues when fighting dragons held it back.

MacNille

Banned
So I'm going to play my copy of DA I. The trouble is, that I can't find my DA:O that I want to import in the keep. What do I do. I was able to import him to DA2 after all. When I look at the charchters that I can choose form DA:O, I only find 4, when I know that I have way more then that.

abundant

So if I plan on using Iron Bull as my damage dealer should I work on giving him the best armour with % physical defence ability? I plan on playing on Hard mode.

If you're not controlling Iron Bull either directly or through tac cam, don't bother. The AI sucks as a 2h warrior or DW rouge.

I'm level 9 and I just realized that I've been selling off the things you're supposed to be turning in to the researcher. The game puts them in the valuables slot, and the first thing anyone's going to do is hit a merchant to sell off their junk...Oh well, hope it's not a big deal.

It seems like it takes you forever to earn perks. I've only unlocked three so far. Meanwhile I've racked up a ton of power and spent it on unlocking new areas.

There's so much I like abougt this game but there's also a lot that irks me...it doesn't really communicate itself very well. Exploration is fun and I dig the combat, so at least the main parts are there.

What's the deal with the ancient dalish writing? Can you read it if you are playing a dalish elf?

You have to drink from the well.

So I'm going to play my copy of DA I. The trouble is, that I can't find my DA:O that I want to import in the keep. What do I do. I was able to import him to DA2 after all. When I look at the charchters that I can choose form DA:O, I only find 4, when I know that I have way more then that.

You cant import stuff from the older games. The best they can do is upload your profile pic and character names. You have to set your world state in the keep manually.

patchday

what the fuck is up with the bears in this game? they're harder to beat than most bosses and just come out of nowhere. Sometimes I get two at once! It's bullshit.

Yeah bears are plain hideous. Later in the game there are these
rhinos are whatever. They aggro easily and also chase you across the map

Does it get better after the Hinterlands?

Please say yes. :/

Leave the damn hinterlands. The game seems to funnel you there right after you get introduced to Haven and stay there. But that's not the way to play it. Open up the Storm Coast. Go to the Mire and do the Beacons quest. Visit Val Royeaux. Make sure you explore Haven. I played five hours in the Hinterlands before I even realized I could go back to Haven and that it was basically my camp.

Leave the damn hinterlands. The game seems to funnel you there right after you get introduced to Haven and stay there. But that's not the way to play it. Open up the Storm Coast. Go to the Mire and do the Beacons quest. Visit Val Royeaux. Make sure you explore Haven. I played five hours in the Hinterlands before I even realized I could go back to Haven and that it was basically my camp.

This. Definitely explore Haven because there are some tidbit quests and dialogues to pick up.

I waited waaay too long to leave the Hinterlands and was almost burnt out.

Posting again,

I killed my first Dragon. What should I do with the loot? Should I start crafting armor, or is there better loot for it? I just finished the Winter Palace mission, and my party is between 14-16 lvl.

Tabby

Posting again,

I killed my first Dragon. What should I do with the loot? Should I start crafting armor, or is there better loot for it? I just finished the Winter Palace mission, and my party is between 14-16 lvl.

Mats you get from dragons are one of if not the best mats you can use to craft armour with in terms of base DPS/Armour rating.
I'd say start crafting armour with it.

Voidance

I don't real enjoy playing this game, but it keeps pulling me back. Such an odd feeling, lol.

When I just do the stuff I act like, it's not so bad. Still can't see it as a GOTY contender, but that's my opinion.

At what level should I start fighting dragons?

SlickVic

Just restarted the Here Lies the Abyss quest since I was filled with regret that
I didn't bring Solas to a quest involving the fade.
. Outside some wasted time I don't really regret it. Some quests really feel like they just need a certain party member to be present to set the mood.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just restarted the Here Lies the Abyss quest since I was filled with regret that
. Outside some wasted time I don't really regret it. Some quests really feel like they just need a certain party member to be present to set the mood.

I left him at home on purpose because I hate him.

MacNille

Banned
You have to drink from the well.

You cant import stuff from the older games. The best they can do is upload your profile pic and character names. You have to set your world state in the keep manually.

yeah. Fucking bullshit. I notice that. Now when I try to run the game, it runs like shit. I checked my specs and they are in the green and should work, but it still run like shit even as I run on medium. Any help for that?

Grinchy

Banned

Yeah, I can't stand that feeling when I'm in the middle of a quest and I realize it would have been cooler to bring someone else along. I guess maybe that's their way of tempting a second playthrough?

abundant

Mats you get from dragons are one of if not the best mats you can use to craft armour with in terms of base DPS/Armour rating.
I'd say start crafting armour with it.

Do not start using crafting material from Dragons until you find/buy the best weapon/armor schematics later in the game. Dragon material is the best crafting material in the game and it is finite.

Top Bottom