• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Melchiah

Seeing Inquisition win all of these GOTY awards from the media is concerning to me. Not that Inquisition isn't worthy of awards but I can't help but feel like it is a deeply, deeply flawed game and the media praise often glosses over the game's shortcomings because "OOH! ITS PRETTY!" So many of the reviews for the game read like they only played the first third of the game or something.

Well the same thing happened with Skyrim. At least DA:I isn't completely broken on one of the platforms.

Ralemont

not me
Seeing Inquisition win all of these GOTY awards from the media is concerning to me. Not that Inquisition isn't worthy of awards but I can't help but feel like it is a deeply, deeply flawed game and the media praise often glosses over the game's shortcomings because "OOH! ITS PRETTY!" So many of the reviews for the game read like they only played the first third of the game or something.

Let's not go down that road where people who love it do so for superficial reasons, whereas people who don't do so for justified reasons.

Dsyndrome

Finally beat the Ferelden Frostback at Level 17 for the Champion Inquisitor. Seemed way easier than it did a level or two ago; where he was killing all but my controlled character every time, no one died at all this time.

Only 8 more dragons to go!

Will anything be locked out or missed if I progress the story further and unlock Skyhold? I just finished the mission where Dorian joins you (cool mission/story part imo), and I think the next quest lets me unlock Skyhold. Just wanting to make sure nothing will be missed if I continue on (like agents, war table missions, etc). I already talked to all the companions once.

The game does a nice job of making a good first impression visually, which for the DA franchise is a first, but so many of the actual systems in the game are woefully half baked and ill conceived. My impressions of the game have just gone steadily down the longer I've played it.

Makes me worried that the bigwigs at BioWare get all full of themselves and do make some stupid design decisions a la DA2 post Inquisition cause they got a bunch of GOTY awards from Inquisition. Especially since BioWare has a habit of not iterating on broken things (Tactical View) and just ax them completely from game to game.
That's fine for you, I suppose.

All games are flawed. Inquisition still appealed to multitudes of people despite that. I don't support glossing over a game's faults (and I agree that Inquisition has many), but is it so hard to believe that the good outweighed the bad for most people?

Melchiah

That's fine for you, I suppose.

All games are flawed. Inquisition still appealed to multitudes of people despite that. I don't support glossing over a game's faults (and I agree that Inquisition has many), but is it so hard to believe that the good outweighed the bad for most people?

That's definitely how it's for me. Despite of its flaws, and countless fetch quests, I just loved the game and its world. It's one of those rare games (along with the likes of SH2, ME trilogy, and TLOU), that have stayed with me, and kept me from playing other games. I just have no interest to dive into another game world at the moment. REmake HD will most likely fix that though. ;)

Ralemont

not me
That's definitely how it's for me. Despite of its flaws, and countless fetch quests, I just loved the game and its world. It's one of those rare games (along with the likes of SH2, ME trilogy, and TLOU), that have stayed with me, and kept me from playing other games. I just have no interest to dive into another game world at the moment.

My six Christmas games are nodding ruefully from the shelf.

Melchiah

Does anyone roll with an all female party?

I enjoy Sera and Vivienne, but not a huge cassandra fan.

I tried, but Vivienne's arrogance just rubs me the wrong way, whereas Cassandra is my favorite of them. Different strokes for different folks.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
That's definitely how it's for me. Despite of its flaws, and countless fetch quests, I just loved the game and its world. It's one of those rare games (along with the likes of SH2, ME trilogy, and TLOU), that have stayed with me, and kept me from playing other games. I just have no interest to dive into another game world at the moment. REmake HD will most likely fix that though. ;)

Farcry 4 was a pretty easy transition for me considering I had played nothing but FPS for 7 years before DA and the missions formats are pretty similar.

After putting 140 hours into DA there is no way I could immediately replay it again.

After Farcry I really want to go back and play the first two Dragon Age's before I play Inquisition again.

Melchiah

Farcry 4 was a pretty easy transition for me considering I had played nothing but FPS for 7 years before DA and the missions formats are pretty similar.

After putting 140 hours into DA there is no way I could immediately replay it again.

After Farcry I really want to go back and play the first two Dragon Age's before I play Inquisition again.

I put 182 hours into DA, if the timer is correct, and I have no intention of replaying it. I never do so with games of this size. I also have no interest in starting some other game, as I'm still caught up in DA's world. I've tried the MP side, but it's kinda barebones compared to that of ME3. I even bought DA:O+2, as I've never played them, but at least the first one hadn't aged well, and I feel like I don't want to play it due to its cumbersome interface and PS2-like visuals. Going from ME3 to ME1 didn't feel nowhere near as jarring. All I want now is more content for Inquisition, so I can keep on playing in its world for a while longer.

ZeroAKA

Is there any chance of Bioware releasing a patch to zoom out during tactical view? That's the only reason why I don't use it as much as I'd like to.

A UI mod and loot tweaking mod would do fucking wonders for this game. A mod which controls enemy respawns would make exploring a lot more fun. (Especially revisiting lower level areas).

Get on Bethesda's level, EA/Bioware

Also, you've successfully made a great tactic pause mode before, Bioware (KOTOR, DA:O), stop trying to be cute!

Ralemont

not me
Is there any chance of Bioware releasing a patch to zoom out during tactical view? That's the only reason why I don't use it as much as I'd like to.

There's a chance, but it'd only work outside if they do it. Making it work inside would mean changing the way the camera interacts with physical objects (at the very least, they'd have to fade structures blocking characters which as anyone who's used tactical cam inside or in trees knows isn't currently the case). Even outside it may create issues in places like Emerald graves with canopies.

The tactical cam itself is configured as if you were guiding an invisible character around, instead of a true free-roam cam. This is why you need to guide the camera through doors instead of moving it through structures: it needs to go around them like a character would. So in terms of an outdoor zoom all that may be required is heightening the max zoom for the general cam overall.

Ascenion

Just started Nightmare...and I'm getting my ass handed to me in most big fights. Any tips? I'm running a dual mage (Me and Vivienne), Blackwall, Sera party.

Grinchy

Banned
The tactics are terrible. But I never used it in Origins either. My biggest gripe is the following distance. Charging in with my Warrior and the whole party teleports into death range. Try it on nightmare and youll find the entire combat a different story.

Man, I was going to make a rogue for my Nightmare run. Am I going to be constantly annoyed by my mages/archers following me into battle?

They really made the AI so stupid.

Just started Nightmare...and I'm getting my ass handed to me in most big fights. Any tips? I'm running a dual mage (Me and Vivienne), Blackwall, Sera party.

Your success with a party like that is going to hinge on Blackwall's ability to tank properly and keeping everyone else out of harm's way. Give Blackwall the full suite of guard and aggro abilities and use them manually if necessary. I'm having a decent go at nightmare so far but I think it's because my Inquisitor is the party tank so tanking is always my top priority.

Ascenion

Your success with a party like that is going to hinge on Blackwall's ability to tank properly and keeping everyone else out of harm's way. Give Blackwall the full suite of guard and aggro abilities and use them manually if necessary. I'm having a decent go at nightmare so far but I think it's because my Inquisitor is the party tank so tanking is always my top priority.

Ok, I had been letting them auto level until I unlocked specialization where I'd respec. I'm mostly having trouble specifically with In Your Heart Shall Burn and defending the last trebuchet, so I reloaded a save and decided to level. I'm hoping it'll get better once me and Viv get KE, but I'll respec Blackwall.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I spent two different 45-minute sessions dealing with two of the three
dragons
at Emprise du Lion. The first one went down easily enough. The second one killed me after wiping out my party. I managed to get it to a slive of health just before a drakeling drained my Inquisitor's (a KE) barrier and sliced away my 1 HP left. The third fight seemed like it was going in that direction, but I managed to hold on and finally beat it with my KE... while the rest of the party took a nap. I'm just missing the second one now. Even at level 21, that fight is pretty hard.

Also, a question: is there any way to make the
Superior Battlemage Armor schematics
appear at the
secret vendor
located in
The Hissing Wastes
?

Xevren

Ok, I had been letting them auto level until I unlocked specialization where I'd respec. I'm mostly having trouble specifically with In Your Heart Shall Burn and defending the last trebuchet, so I reloaded a save and decided to level. I'm hoping it'll get better once me and Viv get KE, but I'll respec Blackwall.

That spot is pretty much the main hurdle in nightmare. If you get through that the rest of the game is pretty easy.

Varna

^ The AI is just designed to attack it seems. That's probably why there's no healer.

Pretty strange decision since the enemy AI does all kind of things. This game would benefit so much from the AI options you had in Origin.

Personally I'm finding the game very enjoyable on nightmare. Champion, Knight Enchanter and Tempest are so very broken though. There are too many ways to cheese the AI as well.

Ascenion

That spot is pretty much the main hurdle in nightmare. If you get through that the rest of the game is pretty easy.

Any tricks to getting past it? I feel like I'm burning through healing potions way too fast and the regeneration potions are keeping us alive.

Varna

Any tricks to getting past it? I feel like I'm burning through healing potions way too fast and the regeneration potions are keeping us alive.

You can cheese it quiet easily. Just start turning the the trebuchet soon as the game stops you and mentions that enemies are on their way run all the way back to the chantry (while giving your guys orders to disengage). 3-4 should follow you and that should be plenty manageable. On the last wave you can also have your party attempt to hold them off near the shop while your rogue stays behind and finishes the last bit. No need to even fight anyone at that point.

I also have lots of cash but I don't think that's really the games fault. I never really spend money in any of these games. Rare and unique loot is always more valuable in these type of games. I can't think of a single classic or modern RPG that isn't this exact same way. I had so much money by the half way point in every single RPG I've ever played.

mileS

Some of the guides are saying its a good idea to leave the Hinterlands around level 7. That sound about right?

What I was told: L4-7, L8-11, L12+
then:
Val Royeaux - L4-6
Fallow Mire - L8-10, L12-15
Storm Coast - L7-11, L13-15

Ascenion

You can cheese it quiet easily. Just start turning the the trebuchet soon as the game stops you and mentions that enemies are on their way run all the way back to the chantry (while giving your guys orders to disengage). 3-4 should follow you and that should be plenty manageable. On the last wave you can also have your party attempt to hold them off near the shop while your rogue stays behind and finishes the last bit. No need to even fight anyone at that point.

I also have lots of cash but I don't think that's really the games fault. I never really spend money in any of these games. Rare and unique loot is always more valuable in these type of games. I can't think of a single classic or modern RPG that isn't this exact same way. I had so much money by the half way point in every single RPG I've ever played.
Alright I'll give that a try now with Tankwall.

Some of the guides are saying its a good idea to leave the Hinterlands around level 7. That sound about right?

What I was told: L4-7, L8-11, L12+
then:
Val Royeaux - L4-6
Fallow Mire - L8-10, L12-15
Storm Coast - L7-11, L13-15

It really doesn't matter. If you intend to visit every area you'll end up overlevelled or overpowered for the end-game anyways.

Just go where you want, when you want.

So played a bit of the main story...
Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts
what a fucking dumpster fire of a mission. Utterly disgraceful.

I hope no other mission in the game plays in this style.

Lucreto

Why do you know like it? For me it is my favourite one so far.

I love how everything in court is not straight forward, that everyone has ulterior motive or trying to better their social standing.

It is, and I agree that it's the worst quest in the game. Is a bitter pill to swallow on subsequent playthroughs.

Anyone know what happens if you lose all court approval?

Hey peeps. I started playing the game on Tuesday and I am enjoying it so far 21 hours in. My current character is a level 10 rogue elf. My gripe is that one, my character is a male with a feminine figure and two, my character gets wrecked pretty quickly when I'm not controlling him. Any tips I should know about?

Hey peeps. I started playing the game on Tuesday and I am enjoying it so far 21 hours in. My current character is a level 10 rogue elf. My gripe is that one, my character is a male with a feminine figure and two, my character gets wrecked pretty quickly when I'm not controlling him. Any tips I should know about?
Nothing to do about your figure in afraid, that's just how Bioware decided elves should look. If you're a rogue you could try putting abilities like stealth and evade on "preferred" to increase your survivability. The AI's usually pretty good at using them.

Nothing to do about your figure in afraid, that's just how Bioware decided elves should look. If you're a rogue you could try putting abilities like stealth and evade on "preferred" to increase your survivability. The AI's usually pretty good at using them.
Sucks about the figure :/ It's a good thing I just unlocked the envade ability. I should do that then. Another question I have is how do I get better armor. The armor for a rogue elf kind of sucks so far. Every other class is decent. And I have heard that there are specialization classes. When do I gain access to them?
I haven't even sided with the mages or templars yet.

Sucks about the figure :/ It's a good thing I just unlocked the envade ability. I should do that then. Another question I have is how do I get better armor. The armor for a rogue elf kind of sucks so far. Every other class is decent. And I have heard that there are specialization classes. When do I gain access to them?
I haven't even sided with the mages or templars yet.
Check the merchants periodically for new armor schematics. You'll get a war table mission to unlock Specializations after getting to Skyhold. You're almost there.

Korosenai

So I just bought this game, and i'm wanting to associate it with the Dragon Age Keep web app... only problem is, my gamertag seems to be linked to an origin account and I have no idea which one it is. I've tried every email i've ever had and none seem to be the correct one. Is there anyway I can contact EA and see if they can help me out?

Auctopus

I'm a few hours away from completing on Nightmare mode and I feel comfortable in saying that the aggro in this game is completely broken. Most probably due the reliance on primarily items to decide on who gets every enemy in an encounter to hound them.

mileS

So I just bought this game, and i'm wanting to associate it with the Dragon Age Keep web app... only problem is, my gamertag seems to be linked to an origin account and I have no idea which one it is. I've tried every email i've ever had and none seem to be the correct one. Is there anyway I can contact EA and see if they can help me out?

Had kind of a similar problem?. Every time I tried to start Dragon Age on PS4 it wanted me to create a user id for Origin instead of using my Origin account I already have ( and have had for years now) The issue turned out to be I had linked my PS3 back in the day to a different email account under the EA account system for some random game (before Origin was released) so when I start DA it wants me to convert that old EA account over to a new Origin account. All I had to do was use the web live chat feature and ask for my PSN to be linked to my normal Origin account. The live chat was very helpful and got it fixed for me, a bit slow doing so but I can't complain too much. Hope this helps.

Shadownet

Banned
I feel like the options for everyone are pretty great. First game in the series where I actually like most of the romanceable characters.

I miss Dragon Age Origins options.. I was pretty broken hearted when I found out Leliana could only be with a female Inquisitor. and no Morrigan was salt on the wound :/

Jon Armdog

I was expecting we'd have to upgrade the various Keeps across the War Table that you can capture and that might lead to maybe certain quests unlocking on the map based on choices you made on the War Table. Instead, just about the only integration between the War Table and actual in game quests is by building a bridge here and there. Same with Skyhold itself- I'm in a similar place game wise (about to do What Pride Hath Wrought) and so far Skyhold is an overly large party camp. .

Man, this is spot on. In fact, I was certain that prior to the games release, they mentioned that you could upgrade captured forts. I could have sworn Bioware said you could pick a focus for each of your fortresses. Either way, parts of the game (like Skyholds mission table, captured forts, and resources) feel incomplete to me.

Don't get me wrong; I really like this game and have thoroughly enjoyed my 100 hours with it. And i could hardly contain my hype levels by release. But, I can't help but feel like it could have benefited from 6 months or so of additional work.

I miss Dragon Age Origins options.. I was pretty broken hearted when I found out Leliana could only be with a female Inquisitor. and no Morrigan was salt on the wound :/

I don't blame you for missing Leliana, but I still laugh every time I hear someone wish they could romance her in Inquisition since I assume they romanced her in Origins too. It's like they want to cuckold themselves.

Top Bottom