• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Melchiah

Just finished the game,clocked in at 130 hours,level 24,my companions all level 23,missing just a few things and the 10th dragon lol,cant remember where he was...maybe its Stormcoast,when you see him for the first time,he is
fighting a Giant,but I didnt engage them there,and when I go back now,he is not there with the Giant anymore...?

Anyway,awesome,awesome game,loved everything about it...did they announce any DLC for this...? it would be awesome and there so many ways they can go with it...

Just a few things about the ending I am not sure about but I will go in the spoiler thread to see what happened to others.

Took me 182 hours with all sidequests, excluding few of the bottles & mosaics. The Stormcoast dragon can be found
via the large cave on the shore, that opens via War Room, from where you go to an island by a boat.

Not that I can remember. I just got used to positioning my rogue at his 10 or 3 oclock as everyone else could take care of themselves (Vivienne, me as 2H with Block & Slash, Cass as tank).

Which dragon are you trying to fight? The Crestwood one is the easiest once you realize you can dispel the lightning circles.

Hinterlands. I haven't tried him since level 13. Im level 17 now but im kitted out with primarily fire runes. The only issue I have is with that attack. Its suck in, every squishy around 25% life, most likely tail swipe, at least 2 people dead. My tank is fine but he isnt the issue.

I wish parties wouldnt teleport follow your tank when he uses charge too. A few times now i've charged head on only to have the party teleport infront of something with an AoE melee attack and decimate the party.

A simple follow distance which every RPG with AI companions has had since forever!

Melchiah

Hinterlands. I haven't tried him since level 13. Im level 17 now but im kitted out with primarily fire runes. The only issue I have is with that attack. Its suck in, every squishy around 25% life, most likely tail swipe, at least 2 people dead. My tank is fine but he isnt the issue.

I personally didn't go near the dragons after my first attempt until I was at level 20, or close to it. They're the toughest enemies meant for the higher levels, so it's no wonder you had hard time against one at level 13.

Tabby

I personally didn't go near the dragons after my first attempt until I was at level 20, or close to it. They're the toughest enemies meant for the higher levels, so it's no wonder you had hard time against one at level 13.
The Hinterlands Dragon is level 12.
They're not all meant for end game.

Ricker

Took me 182 hours with all sidequests, excluding few of the bottles & mosaics. The Stormcoast dragon can be found
via the large cave on the shore, that opens via War Room, from where you go to an island by a boat.

Nope I got that one...oh well...also my game just glitched now,after the credits and all,all my companion where at their usual location,I decided to talk to everyone before talking to the last one and all of a sudden they are like all gone lol...I will reload and see.

All the videos ive seen for low level dragon killing have been either KE cheese or some exploit (at least on nightmare). Ive got Vivian now specced for some survivability so once i get some Tier 3 schematics im gonna attempt the first dragon again.

On that note. Can you buy tier 3 schematics? Ive had a few 2 Hander schematics drop which are of no use to me :(

This is more likely to happen since one of the most common complaints im seeing is to reduce regions or region size for better quests design.

I have no issue with some of the big zones like the Hissing Wastes. I think all of the zones have their charm. The problem is just having interesting content for those zones.

Like with the Hissing Wastes, I guess the "main" sidequest there is looking into what the Venatori are doing looking for artifacts? But in terms of actual gameplay, you're just running around, killing Venatori at X number of camps scattered across the map. The only actual story you're getting there is from notes you pick up at the camps.

I was really hoping you'd have some actual NPCs to talk to, or that you'd actually find a huge underground Dwarven city under all the sand. Or it would be some Indiana Jones like race to find some ancient artifact in the desert. But nope. You just quietly truck around the map and kill dudes scattered across the map with very little narrative or loot payoff.

The actual zones are fine, they just need to work on having some actual quests worth doing in them, story wise or integrate the main storyline in to them more. How Origins handled it was nice. Pretty much every zone you went to was a main story zone but each zone had a bunch of side quests you could complete as you were moving along with the main story. Whereas with Inquisition, I feel like so many of the main story missions are these one off areas that you only access when you're doing that particular mission. And then you have side zones that you could completely skip because the main story doesn't bring you there. Which is cool in concept, having optional zones, but outside of exploring them because they're real pretty, there isn't anything terribly new and different in any of them quest wise.

Ralemont

not me

I wish parties wouldnt teleport follow your tank when he uses charge too. A few times now i've charged head on only to have the party teleport infront of something with an AoE melee attack and decimate the party.

A simple follow distance which every RPG with AI companions has had since forever!

Hinterlands dragon I had trouble with. Definitely use Fire Resist tonics and if you position your ranged around where the hurricane circle is in terms of distance away from the dragon, it should give you enough time t0 move them in once she starts using it, leading to only getting damaged once at most.

Also, position your tanks/warriors at her front feet. It will trigger her trying to swipe at you with her front feet which is by far the easiest move to deal with, since blocking it with your warrior leads to a recoil animation.

Yeah, I'm boned. Can't do the Haven invaded mission on nightmare without using up all my potions before I've even moved the trebuchet slightly.

Got some good armour for Blackwell soon once he hits level 10l, but the spellcasters seem to bugger me.
It's everyone equipped with regeneration potions? Essential for preserving healing potions for when you really need them. I just did it as a warrior on nightmare without having to refill my potions once. Lots of kiting was involved. Lots of Charging Bull abuse. I was lv. 11.

Hinterlands dragon I had trouble with. Definitely use Fire Resist tonics and if you position your ranged around where the hurricane circle is in terms of distance away from the dragon, it should give you enough time t0 move them in once she starts using it, leading to only getting damaged once at most.

Also, position your tanks/warriors at her front feet. It will trigger her trying to swipe at you with her front feet which is by far the easiest move to deal with, since blocking it with your warrior leads to a recoil animation.

I now have Solas as Barrier/Ice
Vivian as KE w/ Fire and Barrier
MC as Champion Tank
And Varric as Ranged nuker

The plan is to tank and use To The Death to increase the damage, have Vivian in the thick of it using Barrier on tank and herself whilst swinging sword of OP'ness.

Solas using Blizzard and ranged attacks only, saving barrier for the wing pull to hopefully mitigate the damage. Varic just doing his thing with Poison and Long Shot.

Ive had the same team the majority of the game so im determined to make it work. It'll all go fine until one major fuck up :D

I finally turned on the Warrior AI. Its much more useful than me controlling him, they instantly re-cast taunts once they wear off and auto-block constantly. Shame i never play my main character anymore.

Just beat it, but I grew tired of the MMO quests, and wanted save some companion quests for a new playthrough, so I "only spent" about 45-50h with it.

It is pretty good, but:

*Exploration and open world areas sucked. Exploration because you never found anything wortwhile, and open world areas because they so often just felt like larger corridors. Nowhere near the feeling of games like Skyrim.
*Several where areas felt like they had barely spent any time with at all. Exalted Plains, Oasis, Storm Coast and others felt like they pretty much had nothing of interest at all.
*I honestly don't remember a single one memorable battle. Not one.

I know open world games sell, and that they of course had to use it because of it, but I think this would have been a much better game if they had used a system like XCOM, where you were deployed to missions and points of interest, instead of running anround to try and find the 10% of the locations and quests that were worth something.

But I did like the story. the graphics, that the combat worked when you just gave up on any idea of using the tactical camera, and just played it as an action game., and wow you were so rarely forced into lengthy dungeons like in Origins.

But I did like the story. the graphics, that the combat worked when you just gave up on any idea of using the tactical camera, and just played it as an action game., and wow you were so rarely forced into lengthy dungeons like in Origins.

Tom-Delonge-WTF-Blink-182-Gif-Classic.gif

I found the game only playable with the tactical cam. At least on nightmare where the AI fucks you over more often that not.

Melchiah

Well, I'll be damned. I guess my memory plays tricks on me.

Nope I got that one...oh well...also my game just glitched now,after the credits and all,all my companion where at their usual location,I decided to talk to everyone before talking to the last one and all of a sudden they are like all gone lol...I will reload and see.

Then there's the one hiding in the Hissing Wastes,
in the far right of the map
, and the
three
in Emprise Du Lion,
beyond the bridge you fix via war room.
, and the one in Western Approach,
where you need to do some sidequests first.
Just be sure to save before fighting the last one, in case the trophy doesn't unlock. I had to double kill three of them, as they just disappeared and didn't register as kills.

After compelting the game my companions, and parts of the throne room furniture, disappeared as well after I used fast travel in Skyhold. Reverting back to a previous save and going to them by foot fixed it.

You can totally cheese the Ferelden Frostback and the Mistral.

Just pick away at them as a mage from the very farthest you can be while still triggering their health bar.

Took out the Ferelden at level 9.

Melchiah

You can totally cheese the Ferelden Frostback and the Mistral.

Just pick away at them as a mage from the very farthest you can be while still triggering their health bar.

Took out the Ferelden at level 9.

I used the same tactic in the Emprise Du Lion's main mission, when my party was down and all my potions were gone, and bit by bit snackered the enemy's HP from a gateway. I think my level was 13 at the time, which wasn't really optimal for it.
EDIT: Just remembered, that I was also running around a large tree in circles there, with a giant on my tail, slowly killing him with my staff's blows. =)

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Vivienne is such a cunt.
if she gets to be the divine in the end I will seethe

Ricker

Then there's the one hiding in the Hissing Wastes,
in the far right of the map
, and the
three
in Emprise Du Lion,
beyond the bridge you fix via war room.
, and the one in Western Approach,
where you need to do some sidequests first.
Just be sure to save before fighting the last one, in case the trophy doesn't unlock. I had to double kill three of them, as they just disappeared and didn't register as kills.

After compelting the game my companions, and parts of the throne room furniture, disappeared as well after I used fast travel in Skyhold. Reverting back to a previous save and going to them by foot fixed it.

Ok...are you sure about Emprise because
There is only 2 for me,both killed,one you have no choice so you can look intoo the Ocarium

Also looking for dragons and the spot on a picture,post game I found
an Amulet of Power for....Solas lol,oh well ;)

EDIT: OK you are right about Emprise,thanks.

So I've done almost every side quest possible at this point and pretty much have What Pride Hath Wrought as my only story quest left. Couple questions:

- After What Pride Hath Wrought, you're basically at the end of the game, right?
- Is What Pride Hath Wrought a long quest time wise?
- What's a good party to take? I've heard Solas is pretty essential but do any other companions offer good insight?

I kinda liked the long dungeons in Origins.... made it feel like a true quest. "welp, I'd better get my ducks in a row because I'm going to be in here for 10 hours"

Yeah, I didn't mind the Deep Roads in Origins. From a narrative POV it was cool since you were a Grey Warden and everything.

I actually really wish we had been able to visit the Deep Roads or a proper Dwarven city in Inquisition since the caves and lighting looked so great. The Deep Roads or Orzammar in Frostbite would likely look super atmospheric.

So I've done almost every side quest possible at this point and pretty much have What Pride Hath Wrought as my only story quest left. Couple questions:

- After What Pride Hath Wrought, you're basically at the end of the game, right?
- Is What Pride Hath Wrought a long quest time wise?
- What's a good party to take? I've heard Solas is pretty essential but do any other companions offer good insight?

It's a pretty long quest composing of a large open-ish outdoors area and a dungeon that could potentially take a while if you decide to complete a few optional objectives. Dorian's decent to take along, too.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Erm Blackwall seems to have disappeared on me?
mid/late game spoilers
So I got back from being in the rift, originally made Hawke stay behind and saved the Grey Wardens but then everyone disproved so I reloaded and saved Hawke and banished the Grey Wardens
Talked to Blackwall after and he seemed pretty pissed, then talked again and he told me some story about watching a dog die. Next time I went out I wasn't able to pick him, came back to Skyhold and he wasnt there to talk to either. I hope he comes back at some point, anyone else have this?

Erm Blackwall seems to have disappeared on me?
mid/late game spoilers
So I got back from being in the rift, originally made Hawke stay behind and saved the Grey Wardens but then everyone disproved so I reloaded and saved Hawke and banished the Grey Wardens
Talked to Blackwall after and he seemed pretty pissed, then talked again and he told me some story about watching a dog die. Next time I went out I wasn't able to pick him, came back to Skyhold and he wasnt there to talk to either. I hope he comes back at some point, anyone else have this?

Its supposed to happen. There should be a letter near where he usually is standing.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I think I've run into a bug. Josephine won't talk to me anymore. She just says a greeting and the dialogue never initiates. :(

Chitown B

Yeah, I didn't mind the Deep Roads in Origins. From a narrative POV it was cool since you were a Grey Warden and everything.

I actually really wish we had been able to visit the Deep Roads or a proper Dwarven city in Inquisition since the caves and lighting looked so great. The Deep Roads or Orzammar in Frostbite would likely look super atmospheric.

yep :)

Ralemont

not me

I probably would have minded the Deep Roads a lot less if Origins' combat didn't suck balls on console. If you aren't in on the combat that section of the main story is a real drag.

My achievements finally started working again on XB1.

- says 116 hrs playtime, that seems more realistic than the 318 in my save files
- damn Dragon hunter cheevo didn't pop and I don't have a save, thought I did
- missed the story achievement based on that one decision, well that's rather annoying

Too much other stuff in my backlog to attempt a new run, maybe in the summer or something.

Paganmoon

Worst (best) part about RPGs... selecting your character. Spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure if I want to play Rogue or Mage, damnit...

Played Rogue in both previous games, might want to change it up, but... I like playing rogues, and then the question of CC or ranged. I need more info on the selection screen damn it!

Edit:
Wait, no save import on PC? why??

Melchiah

Ok...are you sure about Emprise because
There is only 2 for me,both killed,one you have no choice so you can look intoo the Ocarium

Also looking for dragons and the spot on a picture,post game I found
an Amulet of Power for....Solas lol,oh well ;)

EDIT: OK you are right about Emprise,thanks.

Glad to hear you found the last one. =)

Phinor

95 hours and I'm 99% done. Just finished the main story. This isn't going to be pleasant to say but..

..and let me add that I voted DA2 as the most disappointing game of that year..

...DA2 is better game than DA:I. It's quite amazing how many bad decisions they made during the development of DA:I. Maybe they fixed some of the issues of DA2, but oh man did they introduce a whole bunch of new ones. Now I fear Witcher 3 will make all the same mistakes again by going for more open world design that doesn't serve the game at all. More isn't better, adding quantity on top of a core 20-30 hour quality experience rarely helps any game. I wish DA:I was a 30 hour game without the open world and all the bars to fill that ultimately serve no purpose at all.

Corypheus might be the worst video game villain ever in games of this type. So much build up and potential, so little payoff. What an idiot. He's evidently capable of so much yet does so little in the end. And I mean the really end, when he decides to challenge the player party head on with his mountain moving capabilities. How about dropping those mountains on Skyhold? How about doing something, ANYTHING useful with your superpowers? I feel like the end is missing at least 2-3 hours of content but they just ran out of time.

Their decision to change the healing potion/healing system didn't really serve any purpose. That was supposed to make balancing encounters and sections of the game easier and better but in the end they decided to add potion supply points at every corner during story missions.
The end fight was laughable in that regard. So Corypheus moved mountains to turn the end fight into a linear corridor fight with multiple phases. Then this genius didn't realize there are health supply points between every phase. There's your game balance, no healing spells, health potion supplies literally behind every corner.

The good parts were great, I really enjoy Dragon Age world as a whole. Some great characters moments but ultimately there was maybe 20-25 hours of good content, 50 hours of complete filler content without any purpose and another 15-20 hours of absolute garbage. What a disappointment. DA:O remains so far ahead of the other games in the series. I mean there's a gap between Mass Effect games (1 > 2 > 3) but the gaps are nowhere near this wide.

Matt_

Cool, just found what I assume is the holy grail floating in some cliff near an atrium in the western approach. No idea how to actually get to it but it was a cool little easter egg

Melchiah

Cool, just found what I assume is the holy grail floating in some cliff near an atrium in the western approach. No idea how to actually get to it but it was a cool little easter egg

I googled, and found a YouTube video of it:
http://youtu.be/oySWWoE-tWw
I guess it's unreachable?

Found also this on IGN's easter egg page.
Mass Effect References

In the Multiplayer Map: Orelisian Chateau, you can find a trophy room within the large mansion. One of these walls contains a Krogan head mounted above two other animals.

http://i.imgur.com/2L7Q84U.jpg

A Krogan trophy-head can also be found in the Single-player map, during Promise of Destruction in Castle of Caer Oswin. In the corridor where you meet Cassandra's apprentice, go to the eastern end of the hall, and there it is

In The Hinterlands, travel to The Crossroads and go inside a small circular hut near the back of the town. On a table are a Healer's Notes at Redcliffe Crossroads. They style of the notes taken in short concise bursts seem to represent the train of thought of Mass Effect's Mordin Solus, fellow healer and scientist.
Pretty cool.

Paganmoon

Considering I don't recall all my choices from the previous games, is there an easy way for me to open up my save files and check choices without re-installing the previous games?

Currently Solas keeps repeating this line to Varric: "Varric, I heard you fought generic final boss once before?"

Im guessing ive just exhausted all dialog options between the characters as ive used them since the beginning? I hope its not a bug.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I went Knight Enchanter because everyone said it was so good but I honestly hate it and feel like I've ruined my game because you can't repick. Being a paper mele Mage wasn't what I wanted for this character, I wish I could go something else :/

I went Knight Enchanter because everyone said it was so good but I honestly hate it and feel like I've ruined my game because you can't repick. Being a paper mele Mage wasn't what I wanted for this character, I wish I could go something else :/

I'm not sold into KE either. The abilities don't really appeal to me that much and on top that, it being presumably (factually?) overpowered renders it unviable in my eyes, as I actually like challenge.

I think I'm going to go with Rift Mage when the time comes.

patchday

Beat the game at 41 hours

Viviene is the Divine. Didn't even know she could possibly become one. Got sidelined by that one. Also my character did not get a final romance scene with her love interest (Cullen). Guess I need to go back and replay

Top Bottom