• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Its kind of baffling how in so many respects it seems Inquisition is aping Skyrim but yet they totally miss the mark in some respects, like storage. For me anyway, one of the cool things with Skyrim was getting your own house and then being able to store and/or display some of your loot there.

So you get to Skyhold, this huge castle all your own and yet not only can't you even store any loot anywhere within it but they don't even give you a trophy room or an armory to display some of your unique rare/weapons that you've found. Thought it would be cool to have a big trophy room to display dragon skulls of all the dragons you killed or just a big armory type room to display the rare weapons you've found. But nope, you pretty much have to destroy those once you start running low on inventory.

The trophy room and armory I can let slide due to time constraints, even though there's clearly several rooms in Skyhold meant to fulfill this purpose that your Inquisitor actually comments on but still never get used.

But the lack of a simple storage chest is truly baffling. Time restraints don't excuse it. It's literally the sort of thing that I think, as a layman, I could spend a few hours researching and implement in some rudimentary fashion myself. Really the only rational explanation for its absence is they plan to release it as DLC later.

Chitown B

The trophy room and armory I can let slide due to time constraints, even though there's clearly several rooms in Skyhold meant to fulfill this purpose that your Inquisitor actually comments on but still never get used.

But the lack of a simple storage chest is truly baffling. Time restraints don't excuse it. It's literally the sort of thing that I think, as a layman, I could spend a few hours researching and implement in some rudimentary fashion myself. Really the only rational explanation for its absence is they plan to release it as DLC later.

isn't the upstairs room your room?

Skux

So I started the game just to mess around with the character creator since I'm still playing through DA2.

WTF this inventory system. Final Fantasy figured out a console RPG UI decades ago and they give us this shit?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So, I took Knight Enchanter--did I inadvertently pick the most boring possible kit for mage? You just throw up barrier and hold a single button (Spirit Blade) in every fight. I've only been playing a couple of hours since I took it, so I could go back and change it.

Terra_Ex

Yeah, the inventory and lack of storage space are probably among my main issues with the game at this point. Even with both perks your inventory still fills up way too quickly, and I think that also lessens my desire to want to delve into the crafting side of things, since all these pommels and grips are just taking up inventory slots, at the very least those should be able to placed in a dedicated crafting chest or something in Skyhold. It's just incredibly cumbersome to manage items, at least when using keyboard/mouse that is. The fact that there's no item storage space is a particularly baffling oversight, it's not even something that is difficult to implement. Pretty sure people complained about lack of storage back in DA:O and iirc one of their devs made a mod for it on PC so yeah, no clue why it isn't present.

Skux

I also wish there were more hairstyles. I don't mind them sharing hairstyles between genders but that means we end up with a dozen bald styles that don't work on women.

There are no simple male cuts either. What about a regular short back and sides like Alastair from Origins? You either have to go bald, go shaggy, or wear the hipster mohawk (which does look cool, and would look cool on women too if the hairline wasn't so far back).

Tabby

So, I took Knight Enchanter--did I inadvertently pick the most boring possible kit for mage? You just throw up barrier and hold a single button (Spirit Blade) in every fight. I've only been playing a couple of hours since I took it, so I could go back and change it.

It is the most boring kit for mages, yes. I feel like it's just built to be OP.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It is the most boring kit for mages, yes. I feel like it's just built to be OP.
Okay. Well I'll go back and become a Rift Mage instead. It already feels like there's little to no strategy to the combat as it is, I'm not sure I want to play through the rest of the game only holding one button.

Okay. Well I'll go back and become a Rift Mage instead. It already feels like there's little to no strategy to the combat as it is, I'm not sure I want to play through the rest of the game only holding one button.

I chose Rift Mage and I have no regrets. Veilstrike is awesome and I'm looking forwards to Pull of the Abyss. The specialization tree is also light on actives, so you can mix it with other elements and with the right passives you can sling lots of spells while using Fade Step to move around.

It's the most fun I've had regarding the battle system. I feel powerful but not overpowered, just great.

Auctopus

Just encountered far and away the most annoying bug.

Whilst using tactical mode, fighting a rift. My inquisitor suddenly appears half away across the map, deactivating and restarting the rift where my battle-worn party proceed to get crushed.

Is it normal that all party members and NPCs are gone from Skyhold after the main quest is finished ?

After the infamous
wicked grace game featuring naked Cullen, all characters just vanished from the castle except Cassandra. And I can't even interact with her after I accepted her plea to join me in future travels. I can still acess the war table though, which makes Cullen's, Liliana's and Josephine's absences even weirder.

It's no trouble really as I started a second playthrough with a female Qunari, but I never got to commit to a relationship with Sera. I got to the point where I could
have roof chats with her
whenever I wanted, anyone know how close I was to getting the damn trophy ?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Just encountered far and away the most annoying bug.

Whilst using tactical mode, fighting a rift. My inquisitor suddenly appears half away across the map, deactivating and restarting the rift where my battle-worn party proceed to get crushed.

I've had that one.

In general the game is way buggier than my experience playing ACU. It's been kind of a mess. At least one, sometimes two, reset-needed bugs per play session.

Melchiah

Is it normal that all party members and NPCs are gone from Skyhold after the main quest is finished ?

After the infamous
wicked grace game featuring naked Cullen, all characters just vanished from the castle except Cassandra. And I can't even interact with her after I accepted her plea to join me in future travels. I can still acess the war table though, which makes Cullen's, Liliana's and Josephine's absences even weirder.

It's a bug, that manifested for me as well when I used fast travel in Skyhold after completing the game. Reverting back to an older save, and avoiding fast travel fixed it.

It's a bug, that manifested for me as well when I used fast travel in Skyhold after completing the game. Reverting back to an older save, and avoiding fast travel fixed it.

Thank you. Unfortunately I don't have older saves but I'll be careful on my new playthrough.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly, crafting systems are annoying and boring. I wish that developers would stop using them as a crutch for their crap item systems.

Ralemont

not me
Honestly, crafting systems are annoying and boring. I wish that developers would stop using them as a crutch for their crap item systems.

I think this crafting system is awesome. I hadn't truly experienced dual wield rogue until i put 10% chance of hidden blades on a dagger and build guard on my armor.

Kimaka

Its really time consuming and not fun trying to get giant spider glands to craft dragon slaying runes.

If it weren't for the duping glitch, I wouldn't have bothered. I usually don't use crafting systems anyway, but I kept finding crap armor for my Qunari rogue.

I really fucked up going with a Qunari for my first character. All the cool looking armor is only available for Humans and Elves.

Voidance

If it weren't for the duping glitch, I wouldn't have bothered. I usually don't use crafting systems anyway, but I kept finding crap armor for my Qunari rogue.

I really fucked up going with a Qunari for my first character. All the cool looking armor is only available for Humans and Elves.
I thought the same thing as I had to equip all the cool shit on my other party members. It kind of sucks, too, since this is a game I will struggle to finish once, much less start another playthrough with a non-Qunari character.

Oh well.

I just learned of the duping trick last night, after 47 hours put in to my first character, and 25 for my second, I think I'll do just that.

Before that it took my 40 minutes of grinding out Giant spiders to get 6 glands. Its not even the Superior rune for dragon slaying.

Reule

Girlfriend beat the game last night and decided to run around post-game Skyhold to talk to everyone. Seems like anytime she enters the tavern or talks to Sera, mostly everyone else in Skyhold disappears along with the decorations.

About the ending...

Coryfish has to be the worst Dragon Age villain in the series. The guy just has all his plans foiled left and right. The boss fight between him and his dragon was also pretty lame. Too bad you couldn't take him prisoner to make him your court jester instead of Florianne.

Melchiah

Girlfriend beat the game last night and decided to run around post-game Skyhold to talk to everyone. Seems like anytime she enters the tavern or talks to Sera, mostly everyone else in Skyhold disappears along with the decorations.

Did she use fast travel after visiting the tavern? That was what made everyone disappear for me. When I loaded a previous save, and just walked to Cullen and Blackwall from the tavern, the problem was gone.

I thought the same thing as I had to equip all the cool shit on my other party members. It kind of sucks, too, since this is a game I will struggle to finish once, much less start another playthrough with a non-Qunari character.

Oh well.
I'm very happy I bought the Deluxe Edition or whatever because all the qunari warrior heavy armor looks like utter shit and that deluxe pack armour is the only decent thing he's ever had

every single thing I've found from Lv1 to Lv20 looked like the same 2 shitty full scale mail or leather scale mail armours, and instead of getting all the cool different helmets i get a handful of ugly face paints, half of which look like they belong in a theatre more than a battlefield

thankfully the dragon armor (and the 2 upgrades) look awesome and is basically the only half decent thing worth wearing on my qunari

which has been rather underwhelming because every other character has had a lot of unique different looks or at least a few fun 'theme' changes or upgrades... hell even Iron Bull got a couple cool changes and then a 3rd awesome full plate look so far

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So, my party members AI seems to have stopped working properly. Whereas before they'd immediately get ready and attack enemies as soon as we got within combat range, they now refuse to until the main character attacks, or until the main character is attacked. They just hang behind me in a little group waiting for me to do anything.

Have I accidentally turned off a setting, encountered a bug, or is this working as intended?

Reule

Did she use fast travel after visiting the tavern? That was what made everyone disappear for me. When I loaded a previous save, and just walked to Cullen and Blackwall from the tavern, the problem was gone.
I don't believe she fast traveled anywhere post-game yet. Loading a previous save does fix it but the problem comes back if she decides to go into the tavern again. Just kind of annoying.

Does Cole have anything to say post-game? He seems like the only one without a talk prompt. Not sure if that was a glitch or not either.

Melchiah

I don't believe she fast traveled anywhere post-game yet. Loading a previous save does fix it but the problem comes back if she decides to go into the tavern again. Just kind of annoying.

Does Cole have anything to say post-game? He seems like the only one without a talk prompt. Not sure if that was a glitch or not either.

Weird. In my case, it worked fine when I didn't use fast travel. IIRC, Cole remained silent after the end, unless it was a bug as well. =/

Reule

Weird. In my case, it worked fine when I didn't use fast travel. IIRC, Cole remained silent after the end, unless it was a bug as well. =/
Who knows? Haha. Glad Cole is silent for you as well. I would assume it's a bug since everyone else has something to say.

Ralemont

not me
So, my party members AI seems to have stopped working properly. Whereas before they'd immediately get ready and attack enemies as soon as we got within combat range, they now refuse to until the main character attacks, or until the main character is attacked. They just hang behind me in a little group waiting for me to do anything.

Have I accidentally turned off a setting, encountered a bug, or is this working as intended?

What are their Follow/Defend settings?

Who knows? Haha. Glad Cole is silent for you as well. I would assume it's a bug since everyone else has something to say.

Cole does indeed have something to say post-game. It's on YouTube and spoilery.

Melchiah

These kind of bugs are kinda annoying, as you don't know if it's a bug or intended. Hearing about the party having much banter in certain areas made me think it was due to a bug, that there wasn't that much of it in my case.

EDIT:
Cole does indeed have something to say post-game. It's on YouTube and spoilery.

This one?
http://youtu.be/LhTvQjZrvDQ

It didn't occur for me.

i just finally fully specced Reaver last night and wow... my Iron Bull with reaver does so much dps compared to all my other lv18s... just absolutely spams 2-4k hits. not sure how lv20-in-purps balance is but at least at lv18 it was such a huge leap compared to all my other specializations. he must have been doing 10k damage every 5 seconds on the hissing wastes dragon lol and non-stop because instead of using stamina i just use hp and feed him upgrade regen pots

felt like discovering an op build back in diablo 2 for the first time ;p

jamsy

So I'm about to start playing this game (yeah, I'm a bit LTTP)...which class should I go for?

I played Warrior in DA:O (and hated it) and Mage in DA2 (which was a lot better). Should I stick with a Mage for Inquisition? Or maybe try Rogue or something?

Ralemont

not me
So I'm about to start playing this game (yeah, I'm a bit LTTP)...which class should I go for?

I played Warrior in DA:O (and hated it) and Mage in DA2 (which was a lot better). Should I stick with a Mage for Inquisition? Or maybe try Rogue or something?

Warrior in this game is completely revamped. I also played Warrior in Origins and hated it, but loved my Warrior playthrough in this game.

I think all the classes are fun but be advised that melee rogue can be difficult to stay alive if you play on harder difficulties.

Menome

Some people have reported Patch 2 fixed it for them. Might be worth trying if you haven't played since before that.

Patch 2 is what broke Party Banter for me. Had been working fine, now everyone is silent despite trying all the "fixes". As such, I've been waiting on the fix for that now since December.

Chris R

So I have a question on the PC version. Can you use Origin to download the game to an external drive but then use the data there to install the game on a different computer? Basically I'd download the game at work onto a external USB drive and then take that home and use it to get the game working without needing to redownload the game.

Top Bottom