• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Skux

So I have a question on the PC version. Can you use Origin to download the game to an external drive but then use the data there to install the game on a different computer? Basically I'd download the game at work onto a external USB drive and then take that home and use it to get the game working without needing to redownload the game.

Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yGXp6HLAUo

Start the download on your new PC, quit out of Origin, copy the game files in, then restart Origin.

Yeah, the inventory and lack of storage space are probably among my main issues with the game at this point. Even with both perks your inventory still fills up way too quickly, and I think that also lessens my desire to want to delve into the crafting side of things, since all these pommels and grips are just taking up inventory slots, at the very least those should be able to placed in a dedicated crafting chest or something in Skyhold. It's just incredibly cumbersome to manage items, at least when using keyboard/mouse that is. The fact that there's no item storage space is a particularly baffling oversight, it's not even something that is difficult to implement. Pretty sure people complained about lack of storage back in DA:O and iirc one of their devs made a mod for it on PC so yeah, no clue why it isn't present.

Yeah, one of the devs for Origins made his own storage chest mod that he released for the PC like right after the game came out.

Finally finished the game today. The story just gets weird at the end. Corypheus has to be one of the best villains BioWare could have used lore wise in the DA universe and yet within the actual game he's one of the worst antagonists. By the end I felt like he was just an angry senile old man not an actual threat.

As for the ending and the basically Temple of Mythal quest onward,
it really really feels like the whole Temple of Mythal onward was just a mish mash of cut content. Like everyone prepping for some big attack on Skyhold when you get back that never materializes and then Flemeth appearing out of no where and the game seemingly focusing a lot more on Morrigan than I thought it would. That's not even getting to the end credits stuff.

Off to the spoilers thread I guess!

Melchiah

I've been playing the multiplayer recently, and it's somewhat enjoyable, although nowhere near that of ME3. My question is, how do you use all the potions you've equipped? I just can't figure out how to use anything else than that which is mapped to L1, and googling didn't provide any results.

The MP side is pretty buggy as well. I've witnessed a handful of times the gate to the next area being locked, eventhough all the enemies have been slain. And a couple of times all the audio has been silenced.

Ralemont

not me
I've been playing the multiplayer recently, and it's somewhat enjoyable, although nowhere near that of ME3. My question is, how do you use all the potions you've equipped? I just can't figure out how to use anything else than that which is mapped to L1, and googling didn't provide any results.

The MP side is pretty buggy as well. I've witnessed a handful of times the gate to the next area being locked, eventhough all the enemies have been slain. And a couple of times all the audio has been silenced.

Holding L2 brings up your potions just like the SP brings up your second set of skills.

Does NOTHING happen when you hold L2 or does it show empty slots?

Melchiah

Holding L2 brings up your potions just like the SP brings up your second set of skills.

Does NOTHING happen when you hold L2 or does it show empty slots?

Nothing happens when I press L2, and there's nothing wrong with the controller, as I just played Driveclub with it last weekend. Weird. I"ll try it with another DS4 tomorrow, just in case.

diaspora

I'm about to get started on Origins after doing a "quick" playthrough of Inquisition, but I'm wondering if there's any way to import my save into the Keep to get my decisions and choices in there or do I have to run through a checklist on the site after I beat the game?

Ralemont

not me
I'm about to get started on Origins after doing a "quick" playthrough of Inquisition, but I'm wondering if there's any way to import my save into the Keep to get my decisions and choices in there or do I have to run through a checklist on the site after I beat the game?

Gotta put em all in manually in the Keep, no importing.

this game makes me want an entire game set in the Deep Roads, or new Forgotten Realms game set entirely in the Underdark...

the lighting is just... it makes you stop in your tracks sometimes. happens outside often in Crestwood (at night) or that undead marsh, too

but the underground caves and ruins of this game are just stunning... that underwater cave in Crestwood? wow

100 hours in now and the game still stuns me sometimes in the Western Approach, that Caer castle for
Cassandra's
personal quest, Crestwood or the marsh... heck even Haven and Skyhold... those mountains are straight out of a Larry Elmore or Jeff Easley painting

Question: I want to start playing my game when the Halo 5 beta runs out. However, I remember there being a performance patch for every platform, except Xbox One, at the start of December.

Was this patch released for the Xbox One version as well? I played a small bit, and I noticed that the cutscenes had framerate issues etc. and I'd rather start playing when everything is working smoothly.

Raxious

Got my platinum trophy yesterday. Took me 2 runs, 1 normal and 1 nightmare. Ended up needing roughly 80 hours in total to get everything. It's been a fun ride and I got more hours then most games nowadays tend to give me. Though I don't see myself playing through it for a 3rd time.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
this game makes me want an entire game set in the Deep Roads, or new Forgotten Realms game set entirely in the Underdark...

I think the variety in the environments was ok so an entire game focused on one setting in particular would feel quite boring to me. Some people hated the Undercity part of BG2 or Deep Roads in DA:O, but I actually liked them both. To each his own, I suppose.

I'll probably replay this game as a mage instead of a warrior as soon as there's a fix for the texture flickering and SLI issues. Quite sad I had to play through the game with that stupid fog...looked so much better on one card.

Ralemont

not me
Mark Darrah ‏@BioMarkDarrah
The next patch is close. Once we have it locked we will have more details. Not locked yet. I realize this isn't a very satisfying answer

Looking forward to it! Taking my second playthrough slow so I don't burn out.

the game does such a good job of making the entire cast feel appealing, maybe more than any other RPG that comes to mind. even in Final Fantasy VI or Suikoden 2, I don't think I switched characters and parties this often just for aesthetic or lore reasons. While a small part of it is the aesthetic (I like taking certain characters in certain armour into certain climates), the biggest reason is just the great banter... Solas for ruins, Cole any time there are spirits around, Blackwall for Wardens and Cassandra for templars and mages, Dorian for Tevinter areas... the game just has so much context-sensitive banter that I really feel encouraged to utilize the entire cast, maybe more so than any other RPG that I can think of. Heck, I'll even take Blackwall, Iron Bull, and Cassandra for free roaming because they constantly banter about just general fighting styles and stuff.

I remember asking about like ten or fifteen pages before I started the game, a few questions about the cast because I expected to mostly just use the same 3-4 characters, like most any other RPG. But I've ended up using everyone a lot just because the game does such a great job of making different characters have appealing banter for different situations. Really impressed by that and I wish more RPGs, especially those with larger casts, did stuff like that more.

The cast in this game is so good because of the banter. I mean, that moment when you've been flirting with Cassandra all game to try start a romance with her, and then Iron Bull basically asks her to fuck.... or when Cole and Solas babble about spirits and Sera basically loses it lol. And Cassandra and Blackwall, wow...
they must have had close to 20 banter conversations, really respectful stuff about fighting styles, battle stories, templars, seekers, and wardens... and then she becomes so ice cold to him after his companion quest, wow... just ruthless.
The banter is such an improvement over other games.

Ralemont

not me
The cast in this game is so good because of the banter. I mean, that moment when you've been flirting with Cassandra all game to try start a romance with her, and then Iron Bull basically asks her to fuck.... or when Cole and Solas babble about spirits and Sera basically loses it lol. And Cassandra and Blackwall, wow...
they must have had close to 20 banter conversations, really respectful stuff about fighting styles, battle stories, templars, seekers, and wardens... and then she becomes so ice cold to him after his companion quest, wow... just ruthless.
The banter is such an improvement over other games.

I totally agree. Banter really fleshes the characters out.

For example, Blackwall is normally a pretty serious and gruff guy. But if you take him with Sera the guy really displays a sense of humor.

Sera: Do all Grey Wardens have beards like yours?
Blackwall: No, I stole them. AND ALL THE POWER THEY HOLD.

Bonus points for taking Blackwall, Sera, and Solas. Blackwall and Sera are thick as thieves ganging up on Solas and making vulgar remarks. Blackwall is basically cracking up when he tells Solas that he and Sera have been talking and they have a question for him (they want to know if Solas has ever gotten lucky in the Fade with a spirit). It's definitely my favorite duo in the game.

Also love when you take Cole to Old Crestwood and he starts introducing himself to all the spirits like a kid at kindergarten.

I LOVE the Dorian/Iron Bull banter. So many great moments come from it. I have a hard time switching out to other characters because of their personalities.

Moofers

Having some problems with the game getting difficult. Everyone on GAF seems to say its not very hard, but I'm on normal and starting to struggle.

My party is all either level 12 or 13. Last night I just took over the massive keep in "Liberate Emprise du Lion" which had a Demon boss (with dialogue choices before the fight) who was hard as balls. I cheesed him to death, but it took me over an hour and several warps back to camp to restock as well as a few wipes. At one point, he was in the form of a Rage Demon and had a barrier on him that just wouldn't chip away. It took for fucking ever to kill this guy. Worst of all, when he finally died, my party all acted like he was still around and the forcefields he puts up at the exits were still there.

One of my members just ran through it like it wasn't there, so I switched over to them and then got the rest of my party through. But man, I thought I was going to have to fight him again.

But my point is, should it be this hard? Am I in an area way over my level and gear? So far all the best gear I have is stuff I've made at Skyhold with just a couple of exceptions in the weapons department.

Also, I play a Rogue and can't find a decent bow to save my life. I am using daggers right now because I was able to make really nice ones, but I haven't found a single damn bow or a schematic to make one that does anywhere near the DPS my daggers do. I'd love to switch because honestly I am debating starting over as a Mage but I'm like 40 fucking hours in here so I don't wanna restart. I'd love to get away from melee for a while though as I've found I play best with ranged characters.

So, any advice for all that?

SUPER buggy. How many times haves you seen golden pottery be reincarnated?

Having some problems with the game getting difficult. Everyone on GAF seems to say its not very hard, but I'm on normal and starting to struggle.

My party is all either level 12 or 13. Last night I just took over the massive keep in "Liberate Emprise du Lion" which had a Demon boss (with dialogue choices before the fight) who was hard as balls. I cheesed him to death, but it took me over an hour and several warps back to camp to restock as well as a few wipes. At one point, he was in the form of a Rage Demon and had a barrier on him that just wouldn't chip away. It took for fucking ever to kill this guy. Worst of all, when he finally died, my party all acted like he was still around and the forcefields he puts up at the exits were still there.

One of my members just ran through it like it wasn't there, so I switched over to them and then got the rest of my party through. But man, I thought I was going to have to fight him again.

But my point is, should it be this hard? Am I in an area way over my level and gear? So far all the best gear I have is stuff I've made at Skyhold with just a couple of exceptions in the weapons department.

Also, I play a Rogue and can't find a decent bow to save my life. I am using daggers right now because I was able to make really nice ones, but I haven't found a single damn bow or a schematic to make one that does anywhere near the DPS my daggers do. I'd love to switch because honestly I am debating starting over as a Mage but I'm like 40 fucking hours in here so I don't wanna restart. I'd love to get away from melee for a while though as I've found I play best with ranged characters.

So, any advice for all that?

Yeh you are in a high level area. Gratz on beating that guy underleveled. If you claimed that keep where the demon was, there should be a vendor that appears. Not sure if he sells a bow, but he is known to sell some of the best weapons in the game.

EDIT:

Here's a level/region guide from reddit:

Haven: 1+ (1-4)
Hinterlands: 2+ (4-7, 8-12)
Val Royeaux: 4+ (4-6)
Storm Coast: 5+ (7-11, 13-15)
Fallow Mire: 8+ (8-10, 12-15)
Forbidden Oasis: 8+ (8-12, 5-15, 18-20)
Skyhold: 10+
Crestwood: 10+ (10-13)
Western Approach: 10+ (10-14)
Exalted Plains: 10+ (10-16)
Emerald Graves: 12+ (14-20)
Emprise du Lion: 16+ (16-22)
Hissing Wastes: 16+ (19-23)

ColdRose

According to Mark Darrah's twitter feed, the next patch is 'close' but hasn't been locked down yet. Mostly a single-player patch, apparently.

So I finally beat the game last night, And There's seriously too much side crap to be bothered to finish it all up. 44 hours later....I'm drained. Good game but hampered by the side quests. So after I beat the main Campaign its all over right? No after end game quests? And whats up with
Solas after the credits?

This game felt more like an MMO than a single player game. Just lost interest, about 50 hours in. My enthusiasm was initially really high than fell off a cliff.

I actually started replaying KOTOR to get the taste out of my mouth. Made me realize that a lot of the games problems stemmed from too much clutter. In the worlds, the quests, the story, the inventory. Just wasn't my thing. Again, felt like an MMO.

Moofers

Yeh you are in a high level area. Gratz on beating that guy underleveled. If you claimed that keep where the demon was, there should be a vendor that appears. Not sure if he sells a bow, but he is known to sell some of the best weapons in the game.

EDIT:

Here's a level/region guide from reddit:

Haven: 1+ (1-4)
Hinterlands: 2+ (4-7, 8-12)
Val Royeaux: 4+ (4-6)
Storm Coast: 5+ (7-11, 13-15)
Fallow Mire: 8+ (8-10, 12-15)
Forbidden Oasis: 8+ (8-12, 5-15, 18-20)
Skyhold: 10+
Crestwood: 10+ (10-13)
Western Approach: 10+ (10-14)
Exalted Plains: 10+ (10-16)
Emerald Graves: 12+ (14-20)
Emprise du Lion: 16+ (16-22)
Hissing Wastes: 16+ (19-23)

Thank you thank you thank you! That guide will help. I'm going to have to backtrack tonight to all the places I sort of skipped over or only dabbled in.

And yeah, I claimed that keep after beating that bastard. I was delighted to find that merchant, but disheartened that everything is like 15,000+ Gold and I'm sitting there with like 300 Gold. D'oh.

But now I should be able to breeze through the lesser areas and not worry about new gear for a while. By then I'll prolly have money.

Gold pretty much has no purpose. Those 15k items are almost useless. Same with power, you will have 10x more than you could ever use unless you just go straight through the main quest.

Gold pretty much has no purpose. Those 15k items are almost useless. Same with power, you will have 10x more than you could ever use unless you just go straight through the main quest.

Is there a way to get more gold? I've drained 80 hours into this game (I'm enjoying it) and I only have 30,000 gold. I haven't even beaten the game yet but surely there is a way to get a lot of gold? I haven't' went to Emprise du Lion either so perhaps there is a away to do it there?

Is there a way to get more gold? I've drained 80 hours into this game (I'm enjoying it) and I only have 30,000 gold. I haven't even beaten the game yet but surely there is a way to get a lot of gold? I haven't' went to Emprise du Lion either so perhaps there is a away to do it there?

Just sell items you don't equip. But 30,000 is more than you'll ever need.

Melchiah

SUPER buggy. How many times haves you seen golden pottery be reincarnated?

A plenty, and indestructible looting potteries as well. Proceeding the level was once again impossible today, as the gates just didn't open eventhough no enemies were around.

On a side note, tried the MP with a different controller, and now the L2 menu works. I guess there's either something wrong with the other DS4, or there was a glitch with the game, or I've just missed it somehow before.

Sometimes while playing npc dialogue options will not show up. Specifically requisition scouts. But it seems to fix itself when I rest at a camp. I hope this doesn't happen during main quests or side quests.

Varna

Sometimes while playing npc dialogue options will not show up. Specifically requisition scouts. But it seems to fix itself when I rest at a camp. I hope this doesn't happen during main quests or side quests.

This happens to me sometimes. It seems limited to NPCs you interact with that don't have cutscenes.

I'm 100 hours in and probably made over 50,000-60,000 gold but I'm still always broke because I spent it constantly on new armours or schematics for 'aesthethic' changes... even if it's not an upgrade, I'll often customize everyone in new armour to 'fit the theme' of a mission. e.g.
all Warden gear for Adamant, Orlaisian for Winter Palace,even Carta items on Varric for Valamar, etc.
kind of a waste of money but it makes the aesthetic look so much better. and I rather have slightly weaker (therefore more challenging) but visually fitting and appealing armour anyhow. any added difficulty and better 'roleplay' is a big benefit to this game.

This game felt more like an MMO than a single player game. Just lost interest, about 50 hours in. My enthusiasm was initially really high than fell off a cliff.

I actually started replaying KOTOR to get the taste out of my mouth. Made me realize that a lot of the games problems stemmed from too much clutter. In the worlds, the quests, the story, the inventory. Just wasn't my thing. Again, felt like an MMO.

A game you played for 50 hours is clearly not a bad game, unless you purposely make yourself suffer.

A game you played for 50 hours is clearly not a bad game, unless you purposely make yourself suffer.
Oh I don't know, Destiny has me all over the map. It's certainly possible to get stuck in compulsive loops in poor games for a while. On completing DA:I I find myself resenting the minimal utility of a lot of the side activities but it doesn't stop DA:I being good. I would argue that it stops it from being a great game however.

Shumafuk

Please, help me.

I need somehow make battles shortest as possible. Battles here are incredibly boring, MMOlike clickfest and duration of elimination enemies is ridiculous.

So I would like to multiply DMG (for NPC's and player ofc). Just globally increase damage dealt. That would be great. Some hidden mod? Or console command?

Thanks!

Please, help me.

I need somehow make battles shortest as possible. Battles here are incredibly boring, MMOlike clickfest and duration of elimination enemies is ridiculous.

So I would like to multiply DMG (for NPC's and player ofc). Just globally increase damage dealt. That would be great. Some hidden mod? Or console command?

Thanks!

Not that I know of, generally past lvl 12ish the combat becomes almost automatic win. Take the two tanks Cassandra and Blackwell max their guard abilities and they'll never die once they get their specialisation.

Shumafuk

Not that I know of, generally past lvl 12ish the combat becomes almost automatic win. Take the two tanks Cassandra and Blackwell max their guard abilities and they'll never die once they get their specialisation.
I didn't ask for win. I want make battles shorter to have less pain during boring clicking in combat.

Melchiah

I'm 100 hours in and probably made over 50,000-60,000 gold but I'm still always broke because I spent it constantly on new armours or schematics for 'aesthethic' changes... even if it's not an upgrade, I'll often customize everyone in new armour to 'fit the theme' of a mission. e.g.
all Warden gear for Adamant, Orlaisian for Winter Palace,even Carta items on Varric for Valamar, etc.
kind of a waste of money but it makes the aesthetic look so much better. and I rather have slightly weaker (therefore more challenging) but visually fitting and appealing armour anyhow. any added difficulty and better 'roleplay' is a big benefit to this game.

I must have spent about 100,000 gold for gear, upgrades, schematics, and the 10,000 mystery box during my 182 hours. At best I had ~35,000 of gold.

cormack12

Gold Member
45 hours in and I have a question for anyone who has 'romanced' Sera.

Every time I keep speaking to her at Skyhold, I select 'I'm interested in you', and she says 'Look, I like you. Let's travel round a bit...yada yada yada.' It's hard to gauge where you're up to in this game so I'll sum up by saying I'm currently:

Doing the Abyss main quest;
Haven't done the Verchiel March (which seems to be importan);
Currently involved in the long Josephine/assassin questline;
Doing war table operations;
I have travelled with Sera to meet some noble and I let her kill him (the ambush scene);

Do I just spam the interest every time I am at Skyhold - what's the next trigger? I don't mind if I've already broken it or whatever, I'll just do someone else as I'm going to play through it again, but I'm really only interested in her as an option for my char.

Also, any tips for dragons? I've been attempting the one in Crestwood and Hinterlands. I'm level 15 and my party are 14ish. I usually take one tank, ranged rogue and another mage (I'm playing as mage too). Seem to do OK until it flaps its wings and draws us all in and wastes us. Pain in the ass.

Any tips on killing dragons? I'm level 14 and having zero luck with even the weakest ones. My party is Dual-Wield Rouge Inquisitor, Iron Bull (2-handed), Sera (Archery) and Dorian. I think it may be that I need better gear, where is the best place to get some nice Tier 3 armor or find weapons that do extra dragon damage?

Melchiah

Any tips on killing dragons? I'm level 14 and having zero luck with even the weakest ones. My party is Dual-Wield Rouge Inquisitor, Iron Bull (2-handed), Sera (Archery) and Dorian. I think it may be that I need better gear, where is the best place to get some nice Tier 3 armor or find weapons that do extra dragon damage?

A tank like Cassandra/Blackwall would help, and a mage that can take advantage of the elemental weaknesses of the dragons. I rolled with my mage, Cassandra, Sera and Dorian/Solas, the latter depending on the dragon.

A tank like Cassandra/Blackwall would help, and a mage that can take advantage of the elemental weaknesses of the dragons. I rolled with my mage, Cassandra, Sera and Dorian/Solas, the latter depending on the dragon.

Thanks, swapping Sera for Blackwell and crafting everyone some new gear helped a lot. Beat the Hinterlands and Crestwood dragons just now.

45 hours in and I have a question for anyone who has 'romanced' Sera.

Every time I keep speaking to her at Skyhold, I select 'I'm interested in you', and she says 'Look, I like you. Let's travel round a bit...yada yada yada.' It's hard to gauge where you're up to in this game so I'll sum up by saying I'm currently:

Doing the Abyss main quest;
Haven't done the Verchiel March (which seems to be importan);
Currently involved in the long Josephine/assassin questline;
Doing war table operations;
I have travelled with Sera to meet some noble and I let her kill him (the ambush scene);

Do I just spam the interest every time I am at Skyhold - what's the next trigger? I don't mind if I've already broken it or whatever, I'll just do someone else as I'm going to play through it again, but I'm really only interested in her as an option for my char.

Also, any tips for dragons? I've been attempting the one in Crestwood and Hinterlands. I'm level 15 and my party are 14ish. I usually take one tank, ranged rogue and another mage (I'm playing as mage too). Seem to do OK until it flaps its wings and draws us all in and wastes us. Pain in the ass.

Sera is a friend of Dorothy so make sure you fill that requirement.

Top Bottom