• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

A game you played for 50 hours is clearly not a bad game, unless you purposely make yourself suffer.

No, it's not a bad game. I just felt like I was done, even though I hadn't finished the story. I'll probably go back to it eventually.

I just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to keep doing the same thing over and over. Inventory management, repetitive and overpowered combat, as well as a story and characters I couldn't get invested in just made me drop it. I got 30-40 hours of enjoyment out of it, which is more than I can say for most games.

What really disappointed me is that my enthusiasm was really high during the first 5-10 hours than just slowly declined. I think really great games get better as you go along.

neoism

According to Mark Darrah's twitter feed, the next patch is 'close' but hasn't been locked down yet. Mostly a single-player patch, apparently.
I quit my first playthrough because I prob won't play the game again really hope it's worth the wait

Upon seeking the advice of more seasoned DA players, I've decided to start over with a warrior for Nightmare.

Now.
Metagamingly, a human works because of the extra stat point.
Thematically, a Qunari would work (also 10% less damage).

I guess what it boils down to is:
What is better for Nightmare? 10% less physical damage or an extra early game ability boost?

Kallor

According to Mark Darrah's twitter feed, the next patch is 'close' but hasn't been locked down yet. Mostly a single-player patch, apparently.

Thank God. Been waiting on this shit for about a month. Fuckin' Solas quest bugged. And it wasn't even my only companion quest to bug :/

Upon seeking the advice of more seasoned DA players, I've decided to start over with a warrior for Nightmare.

Now.

What is better for Nightmare? 10% less physical damage or an extra early game ability boost?

I'd take the 10% reduction on damage.

Kallor

Now.

Tell you how it goes later.

Yeah the early boost ain't gonna give you anything great anyways. Especially for a warrior, while I can see the dam reduc really paying off later on.

I didn't ask for win. I want make battles shorter to have less pain during boring clicking in combat.
My bad they've been my go to for speeding through battles but then I couldn't seem to build a 'glass cannon' mage set up in the way you usually can in these games.

I get freckles.

aaaaaaaaaaaaand I died five times trying to do kill the Pride Demon with a S&B.

Get Cassandra to tank it, Solas and Varric out of range in a good possition. Set Solas' barrier to preferred. Set your followers to follow themselves and stop taking potions when they are at least four left, so Cassandra won't run out. Try to stay out of the demon's range, flank it, hit it from behind and disrupt the rift every time you can. Cycle through your party members, in these kinds of fights you need to micro-manage. Make sure Varric uses his abilities as soon as possible and that Cassandra is surrounded by barriers throughout.

When lesser demons spawn and go after the Inquisitor (which they will, if you are flanking the PD and staying near the rift to disrupt it) regroup with Solas and Varric and get both them at the Inquisitor to eliminate the demons as fast as possible, when they're gone focus on the PD and disrupting again.

This should get you pass the Pride Demon.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Welp, I just finished DA: Inquisition. The last couple of missions felt a bit rushed, IMO. But that could be because I spent so much time doing side missions. 75 hours total, but I still have some things to do. Which I will do... eventually.

And that plot twist at the end. What. The. Fuck.

Goddamn I love this game. I think a lot of the game mechanics are communicated poorly but it never really seems to hold me up. My game counter says I've been playing for nearly 50 hours but at least 10 of that is from having the game paused. There's so much I've heard of in this game that I haven't seen yet; this thing must be just jam packed with content. I think the constellation connect the dots game is kinda goofy but any excuse to get new gear is always fun.

Didn't say it was hard. But its impossible if you aren't at least female.

Oh, I know. The poster you responded to was contemplating romancing Solas instead though, so I assumed they were playing a female Inquisitor.
So you're telling me that I can't get with Scout Harding? I've been flirting with her but I don't think she's having it.

Haha apparently if you don't romance anyone, she'll tell you to meet her at the tavern for a drink or something at the end of the game.
I deserve cake and wine!

Why are the Hinterlands so damn HAAAAAAAARD?

Like, shit.

Are you playing on Nightmare?

I had to give up on one of the rifts there until I had more abilities unlocked. Damn those fucking Terrors.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Aight so I'm enjoying the game so far, but some of the side quests have been pretty bland and I just don't have the time to complete them all. Can anyone who has completed most of them perhaps spoiler tag hit me with the regions/side-quests that are worth doing (outside of the first few companion ones)?

Eehhhhh not really.

Sera's romance isn't hard, I don't understand. Do all her Red Jenny shit and flirt with Scout Harding. She likes that.

That's what I did on my first playthrough, with a female elf, and nothing happened. She kept saying "let's travel around more, get to know each other" for like 2/3 of the game. Although I got a bug after I finished the main quest where shere disappeared from Skyhold and I couldn't interact with her anymore.

I actually chose a female Qunari for my second playthrough because of something she said while talking to Iron Bull. And she seems to like me a lot more now that I'm Qunari.

Aight so I'm enjoying the game so far, but some of the side quests have been pretty bland and I just don't have the time to complete them all. Can anyone who has completed most of them perhaps spoiler tag hit me with the regions/side-quests that are worth doing (outside of the first few companion ones)?

The main region quests in Crestwood and Emprise du Lion (basically these regions have one big quest to restore order) are the most interesting to me. It'd be a shame if you missed them.

Voror

Is it possible to get locked out of Pranks with Sera? I did a War Table quest and then talked to her which had us going to deal with some Noble. At some point during all this I had an investigative question about her pranks, which confused the hell out of me since I never got that scene.

Did doing that War Table mission lock me out of the Pranks scene and the alternate tarot image and such?

Just got to Skyhold. That song they sing in camp before then sounds way too much like Pippin's "The Edge of Night" from Lord of the Rings. The melody is ever so slightly different, but it still sounded like a ripoff to me.

Is it possible to get locked out of Pranks with Sera? I did a War Table quest and then talked to her which had us going to deal with some Noble. At some point during all this I had an investigative question about her pranks, which confused the hell out of me since I never got that scene.

Did doing that War Table mission lock me out of the Pranks scene and the alternate tarot image and such?

What kind of question was it ?

Just did the pranks scene again a few hours ago and it happened right between the war table operation and her quest with the noble.

You probably encoutered a bug of some kind, but I assume there'll be other opportunities for you to get the alternate tarot card later.

That's what I did on my first playthrough, with a female elf, and nothing happened. She kept saying "let's travel around more, get to know each other" for like 2/3 of the game. Although I got a bug after I finished the main quest where shere disappeared from Skyhold and I couldn't interact with her anymore.

I actually chose a female Qunari for my second playthrough because of something she said while talking to Iron Bull. And she seems to like me a lot more now that I'm Qunari.

It's definitely easier as a Qunari, but I romanced her with an Elf and it wasn't all that difficult. The trick is not to be too Elfy.

Ralemont

not me

Do the side quests in Crestwood, Emprise, Fallow Mire, Emerald Graves that Harding tells you about when you enter/

Look up how to unlock the big dungeons, the ones that have their own icon on World Map and do those.

If you recruited the Templars make sure to do the Calpernia questline.

Voror

What kind of question was it ?

Just did the pranks scene again a few hours ago and it happened right between the war table operation and her quest with the noble.

You probably encoutered a bug of some kind, but I assume there'll be other opportunities for you to get the alternate tarot card later.

"Do your pranks achieve much?" was the question. According to the wiki which I consult from time to time it shows up after the prank scene.

Possibly, but I want to look into this further before continuing forward.

Do the side quests in Crestwood, Emprise, Fallow Mire, Emerald Graves that Harding tells you about when you enter/

If you recruited the Templars make sure to do the Calpernia questline.

I think the Fallow Mire quests are pretty weak compared to the others you told him about. The main problem IMO is that
there is no one left in the region so your actions don't have any positive results on people. Also the quests are very straightforward and there's pretty much no dialogue or actions required except killing undead and avvar. I would agree the judgment scene at skyhold after you've killed the avvar is quite funny.

I'm curious about the Calpernia quest you mention though, when does it appear ? I chose the templars on my second playthrough.

"Do your pranks achieve much?" was the question. According to the wiki which I consult from time to time it shows up after the prank scene.

Possibly, but I want to look into this further before continuing forward.

Maybe try loading an old save, or go talk to her later to see if the scene unlocks somehow ? It's a cute scene but you didn't miss much.

Voror

Maybe try loading an old save, or go talk to her later to see if the scene unlocks somehow ? It's a cute scene but you didn't miss much.

Ah, think I might have triggered it. Went and did found some of those caches and when I came back it triggered a scene. So it worked out. Maybe reloading did do the trick on it so thank you.

Varna

OK.... something really strange I just notice. The AI seems to have stopped using most abilities. They only seem to use defensive skills like stealth and barrier on the party members with the lowest health.

I must have spent about 100,000 gold for gear, upgrades, schematics, and the 10,000 mystery box during my 182 hours. At best I had ~35,000 of gold.
Yeah there's a lot to buy...

I can definitely understand that it seems possible to play through always rich because I definitely felt the vast majority, heck, maybe all, of my purchases were not really required.

But I always found that I had far too little money for all the different armor and schematics I wanted for 'roleplay' reasons, and I was almost always broke haha anytime I made a big sale of stuff, I was broke a few minutes later because there were a few new items or schematics I wanted and I could only afford one. And I think I was pretty rich, relatively speaking... I spent like 70 hours just getting to Skyhold and 130 to get to Arbor Wilds ;p

really loved gear in this game, crafting and adding upgrades, and in general 'suiting up' all my characters for different weather climates, story roles, etc... one of the most enjoyable parts for me.

I think I had more fun 'preparing' for the major 'story events', such as doing missions, taking over camps and keeps, preparing gear, than the actual story event missions themselves ;p

i just finished the game last night and it was a bit underwhelming, and I realize over half the missions were pretty underwhelming, actually. most of my fun game from just the core 'war effort' and 'inquisition' plot (and supporting systems), and the character-driven side stories, than any of the actual main story missions.

I had to give up on one of the rifts there until I had more abilities unlocked. Damn those fucking Terrors.

Nightmare makes everything a terror.

Nightmare is like a whole new game.

Crafting becomes something you do just to get through to the next area.

Is there any way to load your previous Inquisitor's appearance as a new game appearance? Perhaps via the Dragon Age Keep and DA3 being saved to it as a world state? (I'm looking around the DAK website but can't seem to find anything).

I wanted to start a new game but I really dislike playing it as a different looking Inquisitor. Just feels 'off'... I had the same problem in Mass Effect if I ever tried to play with a different looking Shepard. In ME though I had the appearance code at least. Anything like that for re-using the same appearance again?

I'm having a lot of trouble manually recreating my qunari... I changed too many things and every attempt I make still looks a bit off lol

Auctopus

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had to give up on them for ages. I can fast forward through tactical view frame by frame and there's still no way to help my party avoid their portal move.

ColdRose

Is there any way to load your previous Inquisitor's appearance as a new game appearance? Perhaps via the Dragon Age Keep and DA3 being saved to it as a world state? (I'm looking around the DAK website but can't seem to find anything).

I wanted to start a new game but I really dislike playing it as a different looking Inquisitor. Just feels 'off'... I had the same problem in Mass Effect if I ever tried to play with a different looking Shepard. In ME though I had the appearance code at least. Anything like that for re-using the same appearance again?

I'm having a lot of trouble manually recreating my qunari... I changed too many things and every attempt I make still looks a bit off lol

Currently there isn't, which is a shame. However, there is some hope. From Twitter comments made by devs, it appears this is something they are 'looking into' as are a walk toggle, and the ability to change appearance mid-game.

Paganmoon

Took me 17+ hours to get to
Skyhold
on hard. Didn't find hinterlands that bad tbh, still got stuff to do there.

But it felt strange, almost like a 17 hour prologue until the game really starts heh.

Top Bottom