• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Is the Botanist trophy glitched for anyone? Just wondering because I'm pretty sure I've harvested more than 50 at this point, but I'm going backwards and forwards to do it as it's the last trophy I need before the final story ones on Nightmare.

Already killed 11 dragons and had to hit level 20 twice for those trophies, so thought I'd ask before I lose my sanity in going backwards and forwards from Skyhold.

EDIT: of course, after I post that, it pops the next herb I grab. Onwards to the platinum!
Going for that platinum as well. What did you do for the regal trophy (Fully upgrade one throne)? I need that and also kill a dragon again before starting a nightmare run.

Melchiah

Going for that platinum as well. What did you do for the regal trophy (Fully upgrade one throne)? I need that and also kill a dragon again before starting a nightmare run.

From PSNprofiles:
When you arrive at Skyhold, you will have your own throne room and in order to upgrade it, you'll need to go to the War Table and find the "Gather Coin" operation at the very left on the Ferelden map. Sometimes you will receive some extra items (aside from the gold). For this specific trophy you need a Throne Accessory II. You can also earn at any “resources” mission at the War Table.

Hasney

It just popped after I did a a load of quests on the war table. I think it was to do with Emprise du Lion resources, possibly sending Josephine?

EDIT: Answered and I found the same as Melchiahs post after a quick Google

I am like 60 hours in and I have found almost nothing to upgrade the looks of my castle. I find Banners pretty frequently, but all of the banners are already unlocked, so I don't really know the point of that. I was able to buy a bed and windows in Val Royeaux. When do you start finding other stuff for cosmetic upgrades?

I have all of the meaningful upgrades (Courtyard, tower, and garden) already.

Fake edit: I guess hours don't really matter when it's a pretty open game; it tells you nearly nothing of where I am in the story. Oops.

Real edit: Looking at this upgrade guide, I'm only at Stage 2 of renovation. It stands to reason that this could hold me back.

Melchiah

It just popped after I did a a load of quests on the war table. I think it was to do with Emprise du Lion resources, possibly sending Josephine?

EDIT: Answered and I found the same as Melchiahs post after a quick Google

I just did those resource missions every time there wasn't any other ones available for some of the advisors, and the trophy popped somewhere along the way.

Hasney

Well, that post credits scene... Even better than DA2s.

I really hope it leads to a DA:I expansion like awakening. I don't think I can wait for a full sequel

Icefire1424

Decent armor drops occasionally, but I found that crafting your own armor/weapons every few levels yields the best equipment. A good way to tell if you need to craft again is once you start finding better equipment than you currently have.

Well said, and I've found crafting your own better enables you to "specialize" each character to maximize their benefits. Case in point, I crafted defense bonuses into the armor of my tank, knowing they will be taking significant punishment throughout the game.

GorillaJu

>> Mark of Death
Mighty offense tonic
Sunder by twin fangs

War horn
Horn of valor
To the death

Pitch grenade + Bees
Sera, Solas, inquisitor focus abilities

Hidden blades, death blow

<< Mark of death damage

Dead ass nightmare dragon. Only 1 left to go!

Then gotta get the damn shards and do story missions and platinum is mine

Chitown B

>> Mark of Death
Mighty offense tonic
Sunder by twin fangs

War horn
Horn of valor
To the death

Pitch grenade + Bees
Sera, Solas, inquisitor focus abilities

Hidden blades, death blow

<< Mark of death damage

Dead ass nightmare dragon. Only 1 left to go!

Then gotta get the damn shards and do story missions and platinum is mine

I played on Hard. Only achievement I have left is Nightmare. I doubt I'll ever do it though - I don't like frustration.

One thing I miss from Origins: seeing you travel on the map and running into groups of bandits/darkspawn. Broke up the monotony of fast-travel.

Also I felt some things were too glossed over. Having only the market district of Val Royeaux was pretty disappointing for the grand capital of Orlais. The civil war between Gaspard and Celene was rarely mentioned.

Winter Palace mission was interesting but way too much talking lol

Holy shit, I know. I was bored to tears by the end of it. Plus, I hated the random timed sequences that they threw in there that limited exploration of the palace. "I should really get back to the party before they notice I'm gone." Stupid.

I stuck with the game even after I was going to give up and I'm still unsure if it was worth it... It was fun to explore new areas, but the story and the side characters sucked... I'm about to do last mission, let's see if my opinion changes. :)

Holy shit, I know. I was bored to tears by the end of it. Plus, I hated the random timed sequences that they threw in there that limited exploration of the palace. "I should really get back to the party before they notice I'm gone." Stupid.

My "approval" was really low so I kept getting "game over" screen at random points during the second part of that mission as I was fighting the enemies. That was the dumbest thing ever. I just had to start at random checkpoints and rush towards the next one. This is the worst mission design in recent memory :)

Also I felt some things were too glossed over. Having only the market district of Val Royeaux was pretty disappointing for the grand capital of Orlais. The civil war between Gaspard and Celene was rarely mentioned.

I fully agree with you. Val Royeaux should have been much bigger and much more important. And I wasn't aware of the civil war until the Wicked Lies mission. Felt like it was thrown in there.

Valus

I plan on picking up Dragon Age 1 & 2 on the xbox live sale, they're going for like $4 each.

My question - is the Legacy DLC for DA2 good? The game itself is $4 but the DLC is $10. I know about the boss in that DLC and how important he is but is the DLC itself good enough to justify spending double of what I'm paying for on the actual game?

Eh, not really no. It's short...you can clear it in 2-3 hours tops. If you really care about the lore and want to see the boss first hand it's cool I guess, but
Hawke & Varric
pretty much tell you all you need to know about what happened there.

Honestly the only DLC worth getting in DA:2 are the weapon packs (sets you up with gear for the whole game) and The Black Emporium (depends on the price).

Sebastian is an alright character, but nothing to write home about.

GorillaJu

I played on Hard. Only achievement I have left is Nightmare. I doubt I'll ever do it though - I don't like frustration.

It's honestly not frustrating at all you just need to use more resources that the game offers. Namely upgraded grenades and tonics and the tactical camera. Pitch Grenade & Bees are amazing when upgraded. Same with healing mist (which can res teammates!) and regen potion which becomes AOE regen.

I thought it was gonna be a slog on the hardest setting (like ME3 was, with armor/barrier/shield on nearly every enemy), but it ended up being really quite fun. And once you get to lvl 16 or so and start getting a Tier 3 recipes and mats, you rarely ever die anymore.

The hardest bit is at the beginning before you get access to better gear. Like I said earlier in this thread, the hardest dragon is the Hinterlands one. I killed the level 23 EDL dragon (the "hardest") when my Inquis was 20 and my party 19, and I had very little trouble as an Assassin-spec Rogue... And that was without any focus abilities (I had just come from killing the level 21 dude).

So yeah. It's fun. Give it a try. Hardest fight in the game is the Pride Demon in the intro lol

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
so, like the title says...how do i leave the hinterlands?

i have a quest saying to go to Val Royeaux and that i need 4 power. i have a couple other quests that need power but i have no idea where i get them from. anyway...i can't figure out how to get to this place. i know where on the map it is but i can't fast travel there and i tried journeying to the west in the hinterlands but got killed by some guys.

from what i've played so far i quite enjoy the game but i'm finding it really confusing.

i have a quest saying to go to Val Royeaux and that i need 4 power. i have a couple other quests that need power but i have no idea where i get them from. anyway...i can't figure out how to get to this place. i know where on the map it is but i can't fast travel there and i tried journeying to the west in the hinterlands but got killed by some guys.

from what i've played so far i quite enjoy the game but i'm finding it really confusing.

You get power from completing tasks -- closing rifts, finishing quests, etc. Stay in the Hinterlands region and do quests until you're about level 6 or so, then venture out. To go to Val Royeaux, you need to fast travel. If you haven't unlocked it yet, try visiting the war table in Haven. You should be able to unlock it there once you have 4 power.

Open up in game game .. Press triangle (i think) to open up world map and then go to Val Royo from there.

Red Mage

I plan on picking up Dragon Age 1 & 2 on the xbox live sale, they're going for like $4 each.

My question - is the Legacy DLC for DA2 good? The game itself is $4 but the DLC is $10. I know about the boss in that DLC and how important he is but is the DLC itself good enough to justify spending double of what I'm paying for on the actual game?

It really depends on how much you like the game, imo. Try the game first and then see if you'd be willing to pay for it. While Legacy is easily the best DLC in the series, the game play of DA2 is very much YMMV territory.

My "approval" was really low so I kept getting "game over" screen at random points during the second part of that mission as I was fighting the enemies. That was the dumbest thing ever. I just had to start at random checkpoints and rush towards the next one. This is the worst mission design in recent memory :)

...how did you screw it up that much? While it is boring, they tell you straight up how to gain points during the whole thing. You have more than enough to max it out. You basically NEVER give a direct answer or question unless it's with your allies. If you don't know which is which, 90% of the time it's the middle option.

...how did you screw it up that much? While it is boring, they tell you straight up how to gain points during the whole thing. You have more than enough to max it out. You basically NEVER give a direct answer or question unless it's with your allies. If you don't know which is which, 90% of the time it's the middle option.

I walked into the castle with 15%. I guess I should have talked with the people outside? But once I was in there weren't that many opportunities to raise it and I couldn't go back outside. What sucks is that the game did allow me to continue and my "punishment" was random "game over" screens :). It was ridiculous.

Red Mage

I walked into the castle with 15%. I guess I should have talked with the people outside? But once I was in there weren't that many opportunities to raise it and I couldn't go back outside. What sucks is that the game did allow me to continue and my "punishment" was random "game over" screens :). It was ridiculous.

Yep. Besides which, there's a crap ton of opportunities to raise it inside. If nothing else, look for the red circles. You stand there a second, get a (whispering) line, and then gain a 'secret' you can give to Lelaina to blackmail people with to raise your %.

Yep. Besides which, there's a crap ton of opportunities to raise it inside. If nothing else, look for the red circles. You stand there a second, get a (whispering) line, and then gain a 'secret' you can give to Lelaina to blackmail people with to raise your %.

Every time I stood in circle this happened - "whispering" -> nothing. :)

I know I fucked up, but the funny thing is that the game let me continue anyway. And the "punishment" was ridiculous.

Nightmare.
Ventori night attack.

Died with two spellcasters.

What group is better?

A:
Dawgman
Cassandra
Blackwall
Sera

B:
Dawgman
Cassandra
Blackwall
Iron Bull

C:
Dawgman
Iron Bull
Blackwall
Solas

Red Mage

Nightmare.
Ventori night attack.

Died with two spellcasters.

What group is better?

A:
Dawgman
Cassandra
Blackwall
Sera

B:
Dawgman
Cassandra
Blackwall
Iron Bull

C:
Dawgman
Iron Bull
Blackwall
Solas

I'd go with A or C. B has no long-range capabilities (unless your guy does) which sucks for archer or mage enemies.

ultron87

My lady elf got hit with the noodle arm glitch yesterday after I put some arm upgrades on her armor. Looks like this (not my screen). This was kind of funny since I first noticed it during the (romance spoiler)
scene in the Josephine romance where you duel a guy to break off her arranged marriage. So my inquisitor's sword was floating in front of her and when she and Josie embraced there were horrible Cthulu fingers going through Josephine's face.
It was a rather funny break to an already entertaining scene. Though I hope it doesn't persist since that arm armor does look cool.

ColdRose

Eh, not really no. It's short...you can clear it in 2-3 hours tops. If you really care about the lore and want to see the boss first hand it's cool I guess, but
Hawke & Varric
pretty much tell you all you need to know about what happened there.

Honestly the only DLC worth getting in DA:2 are the weapon packs (sets you up with gear for the whole game) and The Black Emporium (depends on the price).

Sebastian is an alright character, but nothing to write home about.

I disagree, I think Legacy is a great bit of content, much better combat design, a nicely done area to explore, some good banter (take Bethany/Carver and Anders alongside Varric for the best experience), adds a fair amount to Grey Warden lore not just Big Bad stuff - really shows what DA2 could have been given time.

I don't do Twitter, but Mark Darrah has tweeted about being able to change appearance in-game (copied and pasted this from BSN):

User
this is prob a popular question, but are we close to a way to edit appearance in game? #DragonAgeInquisition

Mark Darrah &#8207;@BioMarkDarrah
yes

Chitown B

It's honestly not frustrating at all you just need to use more resources that the game offers. Namely upgraded grenades and tonics and the tactical camera. Pitch Grenade & Bees are amazing when upgraded. Same with healing mist (which can res teammates!) and regen potion which becomes AOE regen.

I thought it was gonna be a slog on the hardest setting (like ME3 was, with armor/barrier/shield on nearly every enemy), but it ended up being really quite fun. And once you get to lvl 16 or so and start getting a Tier 3 recipes and mats, you rarely ever die anymore.

The hardest bit is at the beginning before you get access to better gear. Like I said earlier in this thread, the hardest dragon is the Hinterlands one. I killed the level 23 EDL dragon (the "hardest") when my Inquis was 20 and my party 19, and I had very little trouble as an Assassin-spec Rogue... And that was without any focus abilities (I had just come from killing the level 21 dude).

So yeah. It's fun. Give it a try. Hardest fight in the game is the Pride Demon in the intro lol

I appreciate it, but I just don't have enough 50 hours to throw at it for 90 gamerscore :)

Ouch, getting demolished by red templars in the empress lion or something area, guess I should go somewhere else and gain a level or two

Ouch, getting demolished by red templars in the empress lion or something area, guess I should go somewhere else and gain a level or two

If you have that warrior chain-grab ability use that to initiate. Focusing on one enemy at a time makes the fights very manageable, even when under-levelled. The only Emprise encounters this doesn't work on are the dragons.

I already beat the game when it was launched on hard and now I'm on nightmare and it's not too bad, much easier than Origins at least. I just have a question though, my guy is a mage and I was planning on going Knight Enchanter, but I also have Vivienne in the party and she's not getting dropped anytime soon. Is it viable to have both Knight Enchanters in the party? I'm imagining a lot of us not dying and the rest of the party dying, while slowly chipping away at mob's health.

Also is the recruit 10 agents thing still glitchy because it never unlocked on my first playthrough.

Oh and another thing; I have Sera in my party as a dual daggers rogue and I have no idea how to spec her, any tips?

Ducayne

Uuuuugh! I have some predicaments and hoping for some guidance. I just started playing.. about 5 hours in.

1) I always roll a Mage in RPG type games. Mage feels fun so far but have a few doubts on if he'll feel truly unique. ie. he's kinda playing like a spongy basic bitch. Also, I plan on boning the hell out of Dorian will probably keep him in my party for the majority of the game. Do I need two mages? I keep looking at Dual Wield Rogue which is usually my second choice and everyone seems really happy with this.

My counter argument to NOT restarting is that considering you can easily switch between party members that I can just make one of my rogue party members a dual wield rogue and switch to him when I feel the itch.

2) I'm not MUCH of an achievement hunter but I totally missed there is an achievement for Hard mode. I only noticed one for Nightmare and knew I would never get that.... but now seeing I can get all other achievements and have a nice 91% completion makes me feel like I should restart. I spent HOURS getting my character right and know I won't be able to recreate him which is kinda keeping me from doing this. Is Hard MUCH more of a challenge? Is there better incentive for doing hard? (more experience, better gold, etc)

Obviously there is no 'right answer' here but hoping for some viable opinions.

Dunlop

Has anyone played both versions?

I had to trade in my PS4 version as a qualifier for a crazy trade in deal with EBgames to get my XB1.

I'm tempted on the EA sale going on for LIVE right now

The game was beautiful on the PS4

Ralemont

not me
Uuuuugh! I have some predicaments and hoping for some guidance. I just started playing.. about 5 hours in.

1) I always roll a Mage in RPG type games. Mage feels fun so far but have a few doubts on if he'll feel truly unique. ie. he's kinda playing like a spongy basic bitch. Also, I plan on boning the hell out of Dorian will probably keep him in my party for the majority of the game. Do I need two mages? I keep looking at Dual Wield Rogue which is usually my second choice and everyone seems really happy with this.

My counter argument to NOT restarting is that considering you can easily switch between party members that I can just make one of my rogue party members a dual wield rogue and switch to him when I feel the itch.

2) I'm not MUCH of an achievement hunter but I totally missed there is an achievement for Hard mode. I only noticed one for Nightmare and knew I would never get that.... but now seeing I can get all other achievements and have a nice 91% completion makes me feel like I should restart. I spent HOURS getting my character right and know I won't be able to recreate him which is kinda keeping me from doing this. Is Hard MUCH more of a challenge? Is there better incentive for doing hard? (more experience, better gold, etc)

Obviously there is no 'right answer' here but hoping for some viable opinions.

The incentive to doing Hard and especially Nightmare is that otherwise the game is too easy and you just end up with a button masher. Combat becomes a lot more interesting when you need to plan things.

Two mages is fine as mages are always powerful and can fulfill different roles. Dorian is a Necromancer so you'll want to specialize in either Rift Mage or Knight Enchanter. Rift Mage if you want to gather things and nuke the shit out of them with unlimited MP, Knight Enchanter if you never want to die and you'd prefer swinging a Fade sword around to blasting things with a staff.

Dual-wield rogue can be fun, but the hit detection on daggers and moves can make it frustrating. It's also much squishier than any other class/weapon combo since it needs to be on the frontlines and doesn't have Knight Enchanter's unlimited Barrier protection.

I already beat the game when it was launched on hard and now I'm on nightmare and it's not too bad, much easier than Origins at least. I just have a question though, my guy is a mage and I was planning on going Knight Enchanter, but I also have Vivienne in the party and she's not getting dropped anytime soon. Is it viable to have both Knight Enchanters in the party? I'm imagining a lot of us not dying and the rest of the party dying, while slowly chipping away at mob's health.

Also is the recruit 10 agents thing still glitchy because it never unlocked on my first playthrough.

Oh and another thing; I have Sera in my party as a dual daggers rogue and I have no idea how to spec her, any tips?

You can have 2 Knight Enchanters. Combined with your tank you'll have a fairly unkillable party but it works out to about as you say. YMMV on whether that will be fun.

I got the recruits thing on my first playthrough but I did need to recruit more than 10.

Here's a dual-wield rogue guide: http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/2nm8bc/dragon_age_inquisition_class_build_dual_dagger/

For Tempest specialization upgraded Flask of Fire will be king, and also grab the passive for damage +15%.

Ducayne

The incentive to doing Hard and especially Nightmare is that otherwise the game is too easy and you just end up with a button masher. Combat becomes a lot more interesting when you need to plan things.

Two mages is fine as mages are always powerful and can fulfill different roles. Dorian is a Necromancer so you'll want to specialize in either Rift Mage or Knight Enchanter. Rift Mage if you want to gather things and nuke the shit out of them with unlimited MP, Knight Enchanter if you never want to die and you'd prefer swinging a Fade sword around to blasting things with a staff.

Dual-wield rogue can be fun, but the hit detection on daggers and moves can make it frustrating. It's also much squishier than any other class/weapon combo since it needs to be on the frontlines and doesn't have Knight Enchanter's unlimited Barrier protection.

You can have 2 Knight Enchanters. Combined with your tank you'll have a fairly unkillable party but it works out to about as you say. YMMV on whether that will be fun.

I got the recruits thing on my first playthrough but I did need to recruit more than 10.

Here's a dual-wield rogue guide: http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/2nm8bc/dragon_age_inquisition_class_build_dual_dagger/

For Tempest specialization upgraded Flask of Fire will be king, and also grab the passive for damage +15%.

Thanks so much for the insight! I think I'll just move past these qualms and keep playing as I am. I'm still certainly having a blast. I think the big thing was I didnt realize there were specializations so I looked at the four skill trees and thought 'this is it?'

I've never had this issue since cashing in secrets nets you so much court approval - you could basically play the whole sequence as a bumbling idiot and still have approval in the 90's by the end if you find enough secrets. I agree that it's one of the worst quests in the series, though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I just encountered Sera and she must be the most revolting character that has ever wanted to join my party in an RPG. After her completely terrible intro and her awful responses to all my questions, I decided to Alt+Tab to google a bit about her. I found this ridiculous article and the top comment was all the confirmation on my intuition needed. I wish there was an "arrest her" option so I could be sure she wouldn't be coming back to fuck with me in the next game.

Looking forward to recruiting Iron Bull, though. I have a two-hander Inquisitor so I'll have to respec to sword & board and give Cassandra the boot (she's alright but she talks A LOT, getting stale) to keep a good balance going with him. I'm kind of wondering how far off the next rogue recruit is, though, because I have some strong weapons/armor sitting in my inventory for them and I wonder if they'll be outdated by then.

So far my only regret is that I didn't roll a male named Harold.

DAI continues the Dragon Age tradition of having a party filled with insufferable rogues.

For the last rogue, the only thing that matters is: do you enjoy metahumour?

So I just encountered Sera and she must be the most revolting character that has ever wanted to join my party in an RPG. After her completely terrible intro and her awful responses to all my questions, I decided to Alt+Tab to google a bit about her. I found this ridiculous article and the top comment was all the confirmation on my intuition needed. I wish there was an "arrest her" option so I could be sure she wouldn't be coming back to fuck with me in the next game.

Looking forward to recruiting Iron Bull, though. I have a two-hander Inquisitor so I'll have to respec to sword & board and give Cassandra the boot (she's alright but she talks A LOT, getting stale) to keep a good balance going with him. I'm kind of wondering how far off the next rogue recruit is, though, because I have some strong weapons/armor sitting in my inventory for them and I wonder if they'll be outdated by then.

So far my only regret is that I didn't roll a male named Harold.
When it's time for battle she gets shit done. Probably is the best rogue in the game fighting wise

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I actually don't mind Sera, her personality gets better as the game progresses. She actually became one of my favorites, even though technically speaking this game's sidekicks are underwhelming.

She goes to nonsense spewing crazy, to actual person. Hrm, I guess it's not a huge progression but it's something.

anthym

Neo Member
Really gave this game a chance. Played over 40 hours, enjoyed the exploration, but the combat and UI (crafting, etc) just doesn't do it for me. I just can't play anymore. I think I could put another 40 hours into it but I want to move on to all of the other games in the backlog. Maybe I will come back to it again someday.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
She goes to nonsense spewing crazy, to actual person. Hrm, I guess it's not a huge progression but it's something.
A normal ignorant anarchist murderer person who is constantly wrong about everything and unwilling to pay attention to how the world is held up or listen to wisdom, I suspect. I dealt with more self-entitled little shits in the first game than I'll ever need for the rest of my life, so I certainly won't abide them when I'm the goddamn grand inquisitor.

Top Bottom