• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

All this love for Cassandra and Blackwall makes me pine harder for my first love, Iron Bull. He's the greatest. I really want my male Qunari mage to hunker down with him, get some good Qunari on Qunari lovin' going.

Both my Cass and Blackwall are absolute tanks that basically just never die and revive my 2 Reavers when they spam too much Dragonrage lol

They revive up and can go back to spamming 5-10K crits while my 2 tanks try to get them bodyguarded and at the mob's flank haha and if they both die I'm still good cuz the two tanks never die
What are your abilities for Cassandra? I literally have no idea what I'm doing wrong with her.

Sagely

So, I've done every romance option available with Sera so far. The most recent one was going on the roof with the cookies. However, now I'm at the final mission and I have no more romance options and I can't seem to get anymore.

Any help?

I'm successfully romancing Sera but can't think of any concrete advice...is your Inquisitor definitely a female? Have you done her personal missions
(pranks and Crestwood)
? Other than that, I can't think of much else. For me it triggered a specific Romance quest after telling her I was interested. She only likes women, so if you're a female and have completed her personal quests I don't see how you could be blocked.

I love this game. What's funny is that I always do the non-hetero romance options if possible, but this time I fell completely for Cullen. Which is heartbreaking because he only dates elves and humans. Which means I have to play again to romance him. Oh well! More hours in Thedas? Yes please!

Thing is that my inquisitor is a sword and shield guy. But I'll respec him to a 2-handed warrior and see if I like that play style.

I just started the game up for the first time after the patch and the shield that I crafted went from 35 defense to zero. What the hell? Anyone else see that?

I think the Crestwood dragon is the easiest. I fought just to gauge its strength and I accidentally won. It was my first dragon kill. The Frostback dragon is full of shit with the burning condition it inflicts and its constant screeches.

Varna

Yeah... I think I'm maybe 3/4 though the main story (taken about 65 hours) and I think I am going to pass on the romance options. I just don't really like the way the Inquisitor is presented in any of them. I'm not a fan of the Mass Effect style protagonist in general but I thought they did a decent enough job giving you a good number of dialogue choices to role-play with in this one. That's kind of out the window once you start one of these romance paths... They are all pretty cringe worthy.

BFIB

So how long should I stay in the damn Hinterlands? Done some side questing, sitting at level4.

Great game so far. Always a sucker for the Dragon Age games, and it's nice to see Bioware come back strong with this one.

So how many side quests should I be doing? It's overwhelming, I keep just going back to the Hinterlands and not doing the main quest much at all.......

My characters also feel pretty weak, should I be buying more gear or crafting or what lol

kcp12304

Banned
So how many side quests should I be doing? It's overwhelming, I keep just going back to the Hinterlands and not doing the main quest much at all.......

My characters also feel pretty weak, should I be buying more gear or crafting or what lol

Read the thread title! Pace yourself properly. Do main quests if you start getting bored with the filler quests (there are a shit ton of these) and explore the regions when you feel like it. Don't worry about finishing all these quests or exploring every area.

Try your hand at crafting for gear.

anthym

Neo Member
This is my first time playing a dragon age game and I'm 35 hours in. Pretty sure I have most of the areas unlocked but i've only completed (most of) 3 of them. Playing a mage and I've kept my part as Cassandra(romance), Dorian, and Sera. Rarely have any trouble killing anything, though I did try to fight the frostback in the Hinterlands at level 10 and got my ass kicked. I haven't looked up any guides or anything about how to play efficiently. I'm learning as I go and enjoying it much more that way. I was going to complete every quest but I don't see that happening now...there's just way too many "filler" quests. Overall I'd say this game is a solid 9 in my book. Cut some of the filler and maybe throw in a good/evil choice system, it would be a 10.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally tired out the multiplayer tonight and it's pretty decent. I don't know if it'll be long-lasting for me yet, but I'll enjoy it for now.

GorillaJu

I think the Crestwood dragon is the easiest. I fought just to gauge its strength and I accidentally won. It was my first dragon kill. The Frostback dragon is full of shit with the burning condition it inflicts and its constant screeches.

The Frostback is hardest for sure. The baby dragons it poops out are really annoying, but the one thing that makes the Crestwood dragon hard are those electric bubbles that force you to space out your party members. You can never have two melee hitting the dragon at once because of that

sappyday

I've had this game for almost a month now and I finally decided to sit down and play it. At first everything was overwhelming. Obviously I was entering a world that has already been fleshed out (never played any of the other DA games) and massive that I couldn't handle it. Kept replaying the first mission with different type of characters (well until I at least got one that looked good during the cutscenes) and finally went with a human male, something I regret since quinari are the most the unique.

Once I've reached the Hinterlands I still had the feeling of too much but as I just explored to do some of the side quest I ended up just exploring everything I can. If this was a last gen game I most likely would of gave up there but thanks to the graphics this time around and some decent art design, I was able to enjoy exploring the map.

Combat isn't great though, so I lowered the difficulty to casual which is something I never do. I just don't like it that much and I would rather plow through enemies faster in order to go back to the exploration. Plus there is a lot of content and I already have a big enough backlog as it is that I would rather not invest too much time on this.

I'm off to bed but I'm excited to wake up and start this up again.

Chitown B

The Frostback is hardest for sure. The baby dragons it poops out are really annoying, but the one thing that makes the Crestwood dragon hard are those electric bubbles that force you to space out your party members. You can never have two melee hitting the dragon at once because of that

hardest? It's the lowest level. It's annoying but not the hardest. The hardest is the level 21 in Emprise. Constantly screaming and also adding armor.

Voror

Man, I'm having a hard time picking a specialization for my 2-handed warrior. I like them all, but like Champion and Templar a bit more than Reaver despite the latter's damage abilities.

That combo with Wrath of Heaven and Spell Purge is fantastic, but not quite as useful with bigger enemies like Dragons or Pride Demons.

The Champions abilities are great simply for the survivability and its focus is fantastic.

Really wish I could switch specializations even if I get why they made it the way they did it.

GorillaJu

+3 guard on hit?

Nah, just timing Shield Walls with War Cries I between and revenge slash or whatever it's called.

Did the same thing on Vinsomer, the level 19 lighting fucker who is basically the Crestwood dragon with armor. Party took it down to about 25% before they all died and only Blackwall was left. But this time I had shield bash and the taunt that makes enemies take and deal more damage. When he had guard up shield bash was doing 17k dmg! revived the team during one of those vacuum wing cycles, and used my focus to finish him off. Party was only lvl 16. His weapon has a lame ability on it, my rogue has armor with +5 guard though (doesn't keep her alive still)

hardest? It's the lowest level. It's annoying but not the hardest. The hardest is the level 21 in Emprise. Constantly screaming and also adding armor.

I thought Frostback is the hardest by far because you only have 1 member (Inquis) with focus ability trained at lvl 12, and the baby dragons are fucking annoying. Even on Normal mode I had trouble with the Frostback, where every other dragon was cake since you have such good gear at that point and can just blow your focus and wipe it out. Varric + Blackwell + Inquis + Solas focus at once eats up a lot of a dragon's HP, and since I'm an assassin, Mark of Death on it first... You just don't have that stuff during Frostback fight, unless you fight it over leveled.

Alright, so I got the Cheat Editor 6.4 and so far it's nice. Is there a way to change the look of my current high end armor to the formal attire in "Wicked Minds and Wicked Hearts"?

After 200 hours combined on both of my playthroughs, I think I have finally hit a wall lol. Can't wait for the DLC though. I'm hoping it releases before the all the big titles come out this summer / fall.

neoism

wtf is keeping this patch.... :/ man really thinking about trade-in this in its still 25 bones... WHy u take so long bioware D:

Blackwall is an absolute beast. He rarely dies and he usually saves me from sticky situation. I can't do the same with Cassandra. She dies fast even though she has nearly identical abilities.

Wish I knew that when i was playing through the game the first time. XD

I'm in the middle of game #2, I haven't picked it up in a while. I'll probably get back to it soon.

witness

So did I screw myself out of getting Sera as a party member? I'm 40 hours in and never bothered to figure out the quest, and now when I go back, the quest is gone. Pretty upset that I didn't do it now if I can never get her.

Chitown B

I thought Frostback is the hardest by far because you only have 1 member (Inquis) with focus ability trained at lvl 12, and the baby dragons are fucking annoying. Even on Normal mode I had trouble with the Frostback, where every other dragon was cake since you have such good gear at that point and can just blow your focus and wipe it out. Varric + Blackwell + Inquis + Solas focus at once eats up a lot of a dragon's HP, and since I'm an assassin, Mark of Death on it first... You just don't have that stuff during Frostback fight, unless you fight it over leveled.

Yeah I saved most of the dragons for last.

Finished the game just now and I have to say I'm quite underwhelmed and disappointed. When I first started the game and by the time I got to Skyhold, I kept thinking this game was absolutely amazing and exactly the type of game that Dragon Age 2 should have been, but the more I kept playing it, the more I kept coming across quests that were your typical run of the mill fetch quests and those riddiculous collectibles, the more I felt like Bioware just threw everything they thought of at the game in order to make up for Dragon Age 2.

The game had a ton of great ideas, such as leading the inquisition, Skyhold, Judgement, but they all felt like lacklustre in execution. I think the most disappointing part of the game were the quests, nothing really stands out apart from the Ballroom one and Dorians quest - Most of the quests were just filled out with a ton of reading material/lore, not that its a bad thing because writing does expand on it, but 95% of the quests were just TL;DR ...I would have preffered cut scenes or at least some sort of closure, instead its just a random fukin note and the quest ending abruptly. All that is more glaring when the main quest started going downhill once Corypheus shows up because he was a horrible cookie cutter villain.

Companions weren't all that great either ... Sera was fukkin annoying, I dont get her, she seems so out of place in this game with her cockney attitude, she's easily the worst Bioware character and thats saying something because I detested Sten in DA:O ... Blackwall was boring... Solas was depressing and passive aggressive ... The only interesting companions were ones we couldnt have in our team, Leliana, Morrigan and I would have liked Isabella.

At least the environments were absolutely breathtaking and biuriful (dat emerald grave), but they were just TOO BIG! and they felt lifelless and empty because of the lack of (meaningful) content in them. I'd have easily taken DA:O sized environments, but they just made the areas more dense nomsayin.

In retrospect, I actually think DA: 2 had the best story (until the 3rd act) ... Yes the game as a whole was lazy as fukk, but I loved how personal Hawke's story was.

I dont know if I'm ready for a second playthrough yet (even tho I created a second sloot character just for the fun of it). I suppose I was expecting more out of this game because of the rave reviews it was getting and this game was one of the biggest reasons in me getting a PS4 last year lol. That said, it did have a lot of great parts too and overall, I enjoyed the game a lot.

I dont know if it deserves the praise its been getting, but it gets a solid 7/10 from me.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Wonder if Bioware can ever reach the highs of Mass Effect/Saren and ME2 character development ... Somehow I doubt it lol. That said, I seriously wish the next Mass Effect is less of a power fantasy and more grounded/personal like how DA:2 was.

Finished the game just now and I have to say I'm quite underwhelmed and disappointed. When I first started the game and by the time I got to Skyhold, I kept thinking this game was absolutely amazing and exactly the type of game that Dragon Age 2 should have been, but the more I kept playing it, the more I kept coming across quests that were your typical run of the mill fetch quests and those riddiculous collectibles, the more I felt like Bioware just threw everything they thought of at the game in order to make up for Dragon Age 2.

The game had a ton of great ideas, such as leading the inquisition, Skyhold, Judgement, but they all felt like lacklustre in execution. I think the most disappointing part of the game were the quests, nothing really stands out apart from the Ballroom one and Dorians phaggot quest - Most of the quests were just filled out with a ton of reading material/lore, not that its a bad thing because writing does expand on it, but 95% of the quests were just TL;DR ...I would have preffered cut scenes or at least some sort of closure, instead its just a random fukin note and the quest ending abruptly. All that is more glaring when the main quest started going downhill once Corypheus shows up because he was a horrible cookie cutter villain.

Companions weren't all that great either ... Sera was fukkin annoying, I dont get her, she seems so out of place in this game with her cockney attitude, she's easily the worst Bioware character and thats saying something because I detested Sten in DA:O ... Blackwall was boring... Solas was depressing and a passive aggressive phaggot,... The only interesting companions were ones we couldnt have in our team, Leliana, Morrigan and I would have liked Isabella.

At least the environments were absolutely breathtaking and biuriful (dat emerald grave), but they were just TOO BIG! and they felt lifelless and empty because of the lack of (meaningful) content in them. I'd have easily taken DA:O sized environments, but they just made the areas more dense nomsayin.

In retrospect, I actually think DA: 2 had the best story (until the 3rd act) ... Yes the game as a whole was lazy as fukk, but I loved how personal Hawke's story was.

I dont know if I'm ready for a second playthrough yet (even tho I created a second sloot character just for the fun of it). I suppose I was expecting more out of this game because of the rave reviews it was getting and this game was one of the biggest reasons in me getting a PS4 last year lol. That said, it did have a lot of great parts too and overall, I enjoyed the game a lot.

I dont know if it deserves the praise its been getting, but it gets a solid 7/10 from me.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Wonder if Bioware can ever reach the highs of Mass Effect/Saren and ME2 character development ... Somehow I doubt it lol. That said, I seriously wish the next Mass Effect is less of a power fantasy and more grounded/personal like how DA:2 was.
I really disagree with your opinion about companions. I thought they were great and I had a blast having them in my party. Each time I went out, I gave thought about who I would take with me. Each person brought something interesting to the table.

I do agree about the locations. They were big without much to do besides quests. They were breathtaking and gorgeous.

Auctopus

Okay, so I'm doing my 2nd Nightmare playthrough and I decided to side with the mages this time because I heard that the mission is dope.

However, I'm playing through as a mage and when
Alexius' necklace thing blows up and I suddenly appear alone in the cells with Dorian and two enemies about to set on me, I'm fucked! I'm a mage and because I'm in combat, I can't upgrade Dorian's skills which I need to do as I've only just met him! Barrier doesn't last long enough to protect us whilst we kill the mob.

Any tips? I'm doing this at Lvl 7 btw.

So did I screw myself out of getting Sera as a party member? I'm 40 hours in and never bothered to figure out the quest, and now when I go back, the quest is gone. Pretty upset that I didn't do it now if I can never get her.

Yup.

She's literally better Varric, too. Sure, you can get Bianca up to 100+dps, but with Sera, you can do it faster, craft much better bows, and get a much better spec in Act 2.

Plus Sera's dialogue is amazeballs.

I really disagree with your opinion about companions. I thought they were great and I had a blast having them in my party. Each time I went out, I gave thought about who I would take with me. Each person brought something interesting to the table.

Yeah, I really liked the characters in this game. They made up for the weak plot for me. I especially liked the characters he singled out as not liking. Sera, Blackwall, and Solas usually made up my party. I switched them out every once in awhile, but it was usually them.

Yup.

She's literally better Varric, too. Sure, you can get Bianca up to 100+dps, but with Sera, you can do it faster, craft much better bows, and get a much better spec in Act 2.

Plus Sera's dialogue is amazeballs.
Sera is an incredibly strong fighter. If given the right abilities, she could survive on her own against any enemy that isn't a dragon. Her abilities are great.
Yeah, I really liked the characters in this game. They made up for the weak plot for me. I especially liked the characters he singled out as not liking. Sera, Blackwall, and Solas usually made up my party. I switched them out every once in awhile, but it was usually them.
When I needed to get shit done, I rolled with Sera, Blackwall, and Vivienne. Blackwall literally doesn't even need help against any enemies, dragons included.

Yeah same for me. I love the core 'war effort' plot but most of the plot developments and story events (aside from
Haven burning which was pretty incredible, especially the snowy trek to Skyhold
) were actually pretty lackluster and anticlimactic for me. It was basically just the 'idea' of the Inqusition and my compananions (and their stories) that entirely drove any incentive and interest I had in the game. I almost never felt the content was grind-y or filler-y almost entirely because I just loved doing anything with the characters and to hear their banter.

I'm tempted to say the game has some of the best use of companions in any RPG... I put so much thought into which companions I took on missions because I was just genuinely really attached and interested in hearing their opinions, and I would plan out almost every mission and try think about which party make-up made the most sense for my headcanon. I grew really fond of characters that I didn't think I'd like especially just for reasons like that, such as taking Dorian out to the desert to fight venatori, always taking Varric if I was going underground and Solas if I was going into ruins... and after how awesome it was to hear Iron Bull's excitement of dragon hunting, I kept my original dragon hunting crew of Iron Bull, Cassandra, and Blackwall for all the fights just because I became attached to their dragon hunting banter... especially when they had some 3-person banter during it. It's hard to describe but I really felt attached to them, they were most than just party characters but I started to look forward to their comments or see how they reacted to success. I felt a sort of... sense of camaraderie with them.

There is a fade rift in the middle of the hinterlands that keeps owning me, enemies with red skull icons on them are too strong for me or something?

I also keep finding gear only used by someone trained by the Qnari or something, do I get yet another party member to equip it or through a training quest?

Maledict

Yes, there are some higher level rifts with despair demons in the hinterlands that you should avoid at first.

But that's the subtle clue - leave the hinterlands!

There is a fade rift in the middle of the hinterlands that keeps owning me, enemies with red skull icons on them are too strong for me or something?

I also keep finding gear only used by someone trained by the Qnari or something, do I get yet another party member to equip it or through a training quest?
Lock on to an enemy and you'll see their level. You can gauge it strength relative to your own party and act from there. Higher level rage demons and lesser terrors are incredibly annoying.

wow finally finished the game clocked around 71hrs only did character side missions
I hope next game have less mage vs templar. Less end of the world cliche (but I doubt it)

Yes, there are some higher level rifts with despair demons in the hinterlands that you should avoid at first.

But that's the subtle clue - leave the hinterlands!

Lol, I stuck by it and easily beat the quests further on....

This is also why I bailed on the fallen mire or whatever it's called

X-Frame

Sooo .. I just experienced a PSN error, that caused the game to crash -- and now when I went to re-load the game it is telling me there is a Corrupt Save and I can't load it.

Not only that, but I continually cycle between and have at least 5 saves in a career for this reason, and ALL of them are gone.

Am I fucked?

EDIT: Nevermind, for some reason it all came back after I switched Hero's. Phew. Only lost about 10 minutes of playtime.

Varna

I enjoy Iron Bull.

Blackwall, in none of my games, has come close in terms of stats.

But maybe my NM will be different.

Iron Bull will be fine on nightmare if you make him a sword and shield tank and just ignore his specialty. Otherwise, unless you plan to control him manually most of the time, prepare to watch him get destroyed in even the most mundane encounters. I remember people saying Rogue was the hardest class to level up on nightmare... not even close. Rogues can at least instantly lose aggro and zip around the battlefield doing massive damage with very little risk to themselves with the right passives.

I've played around with quiet a few 2-handed build ideas but the only thing that makes the AI not completely terrible with it is having a good number of guard building abilities. Only problem is that you are really limiting your active skills and using a ton of points that should be going towards some of the better attack skills (that still don't come close to Rogue's arsenal).

Story aside, this really isn't the case. Different party members are there for flavor only. I really dislike how nobody but Solas, Cassandra and Varrik had starting skills. It's like everyone else was just waiting for you to join but before doing anything with their lives. I like how Sera was a badass archer in the cutscene when you meet her but didn't have a damn point in archery when you start. The skill trees made is so that tons of party members had a lot of overlapping skills. None one really feels unique (including the MC).

Iron Bull will be fine on nightmare if you make him a sword and shield tank and just ignore his specialty. Otherwise, unless you plan to control him manually most of the time, prepare to watch him get destroyed in even the most mundane encounters.

Will keep in mind. I've worked out my Hushed Whispers party (only need to do a few more Rift Seals for Coast and Mire).

Iron Bull
Sera
MC

I re-equipped everyone and even made new shit for Dorian. Looks like I'm switching out Bull for Blackwall.

So this happened after I crafted my latest greataxe :

89dlX5F.jpg

The pommel is just here next to me, floating in the air, at all times. Tried unequipping the axe, giving it to another character... nothing works. It only gets back into place during cutscenes.

I've come to get used to it. Kinda reminds me of my time with Destiny.

Top Bottom