• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Chitown B

Iron Bull will be fine on nightmare if you make him a sword and shield tank and just ignore his specialty. Otherwise, unless you plan to control him manually most of the time, prepare to watch him get destroyed in even the most mundane encounters

Seriously. This was my experience too. He just died constantly. So I stopped using him.

Valus

Holy crap Thousand Cuts is broken. Was fighting the Crestwood dragon on Nightmare and when I was moving Sera away I noticed she had enough focus to use it, so I did and she took it from around 60% to 0%. Completely destroyed it. Next time I'm going to put on the two Thousand Cut rings I got and just use it from the getgo, see if I can oneshot...

ppor

So I have a bug where quick travel and warping to Skyhold are grayed out, am I totally stuck in Emprise du Lion? Apparently the game thinks I'm still in a dungeon even though I can run all over the map and rest at camps, just can't teleport to them.

I just killed the boss and claimed
Suledin Keep
for the Inquisition, need to talk to
Michel
to complete the quest, but can't find him. I also unlocked the
Judicael's Crossing
operation before doing this quest and apparently it makes the game glitchy?

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/527596-mystery-quest-in-suledin-keep/

Okay, so level 24 may be a little overpowered for the final fight. Crafting OP equipment from dragon materials probably didn't help. That said, 120 hours and completely done. Bring on the DLC.

Auctopus

It's irritating that some of the more infuriating aspects of the game could've been solved with just a bit of thinking.

South-west Hinterlands between the camp and the mercenary fortress on Nightmare mode, there are just way too many mobs to get anything done.

You'll be fighting a bear, then get ganked by assassins, then another bear will come at the end of the fight until you're in a endless cycle of just surviving your last fight.

Chitown B

Holy crap Thousand Cuts is broken. Was fighting the Crestwood dragon on Nightmare and when I was moving Sera away I noticed she had enough focus to use it, so I did and she took it from around 60% to 0%. Completely destroyed it. Next time I'm going to put on the two Thousand Cut rings I got and just use it from the getgo, see if I can oneshot...

there are thousand cuts rings?

what difficulty are you playing on? I've tried TC on dragons at least 23 on Hard and definitely was not doing 60% damage. And that's even with lightning flask and two 450 damage daggers.

Xevren

what difficulty are you playing on? I've tried TC on dragons at least 23 on Hard and definitely was not doing 60% damage. And that's even with lightning flask and two 450 damage daggers.

Full focus on nightmare Sera 1 shot dragons for me with Thousand cuts. Dragons in general are super easy anyway. Either do that or throw on some damage buffs and just auto attack it to death with lightning flask.

Valus

Yes there are thousand cuts rings, I have two. I'm playing on Nightmare difficulty as mentioned in my post.

My Sera was level 14 when I did it, using a bow I crafted for her. She had the fire flask buff on at the time if that makes any difference. It was a full level 3 focus.

I dunno what else was going on that caused that much damage, as I said I just kinda did it randomly when I was moving her away from the dragon.

Chitown B

Yes there are thousand cuts rings, I have two. I'm playing on Nightmare difficulty as mentioned in my post.

My Sera was level 14 when I did it, using a bow I crafted for her. She had the fire flask buff on at the time if that makes any difference. It was a full level 3 focus.

I dunno what else was going on that caused that much damage, as I said I just kinda did it randomly when I was moving her away from the dragon.

sorry somehow missed Nightmare in your post. That's crazy.

Ferrio

Banned
I think...I think I spent too much time in the Hinterlands.

I'm at 20 hours in, just got to skyhold. Don't know what to do now, I feel lost that I'm not in the Hinterlands.

I think...I think I spent too much time in the Hinterlands.

I'm at 20 hours in, just got to skyhold. Don't know what to do now, I feel lost that I'm not in the Hinterlands.

I felt the same way.

Go to the war room at the back of the Chantry. That's how you unlock new places to explore using the Power you've build up by closing rifts and completing quests. Then you can access the map screen and hit Y to access the world map and fast travel to any of the new places you've unlocked.

Ferrio

Banned
I felt the same way.

Go to the war room at the back of the Chantry. That's how you unlock new places to explore using the Power you've build up by closing rifts and completing quests. Then you can access the map screen and hit Y to access the world map and fast travel to any of the new places you've unlocked.

I know this... but now I have like 3 places that need 20 power each and I"m all like 'Hrmm okay which one..."

Finished it last night, just over 60 hours. Did the romance but no companion side-quests aside from Leliana's, spent very little time in the Hinterlands (went back for the mounts and to find Redcliffe), fully mapped a few areas (left 3 unexplored), did the final boss fight at level 19, slew two dragons. Sandy Howler wrecked me with its Dragonling summoning every time I got it low and the one in the Storm Coast was skipped since I was underleveled. Went dual-dagger rogue with assassin (didn't know about tempest cheese).

Questions:

I drank from the well. I assume if Morrigan drank there would be no dragon-taming (she'd be the dragon)? Was there any way to actually destroy it?
Who was the lady in the lake (last to go through the Eluvian before it closed)?
I did the demon baby in DA:O so I saw the Flemeth scene. What happens if he didn't exist/ didn't have the archdemon soul?
Is the only difference between continuing with the game (as opposed to booting up a pre-final save) the absence of Solas?

Thoughts on the game:
-PC interface sucked. Tactical camera was useless besides analyzing dragon weaknesses (couldn't queue attacks). Navigating inventory/skills was terrible. I imagine it worked really well on a controller though.
-I ran out of War Table missions at the end. The length of operations didn't really bother me as I played almost every day but not for very long. Some days I'd just login to check on my plants and operations.
-Inquisition Perks didn't seem that helpful. Skipped the merchant ones and the codex XP wasn't retroactive. I did a few of the combat ones, the inventory increase, and enough Secrets perks for the lock-picking.
-I was almost always at inventory capacity. At least schematics and crafting materials didn't count. There should've been a bank/storage system.
-Melee combat is maddening. I'd be holding down left-click to go through an attack sequence only to find out the enemy is slightly too far away. Lack of feedback for skills that don't trigger doesn't help, skill bar is too small for the number of skills you get, and targeting can be iffy (I'd be attacking a dragon leg and suddenly it's targeting another one).
-Gold was pretty useless to me. I usually hoard anyway, but there was nothing really worth the cost. And what's with the war table operations that gave <100 gold late-game?
-The Winter Palace quest was interesting but too long. What happened to all the secrets I acquired? Why aren't there enough Halla statues around to unlock all the doors? Should I backtrack? Is there a map? Where should I go next? Why are they rushing me through the outside areas by decreasing my court approval? Why does Leliana look so much better with a hood on?
-Initial loading time was poor, but otherwise it ran well on auto-detect settings (averaged around 30fps with the stress test). Ran into a few unexpected crash-to-desktops but no major bugs encountered.
-Only tried multiplayer a couple times but the lag was atrocious. Completed one scenario where all I did was run and still lagged behind my teammates who killed everything.
-Being able to convince Calpernia to rebel against Corypheus was nice, though it was funny that you were carrying that scroll all along.

Horohoro

I'm ready for some dlc news I've rolling theough play through number 3 on hardest difficulty its really not that difficult if you level up as much as possible before going to skyhold.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
It's irritating that some of the more infuriating aspects of the game could've been solved with just a bit of thinking.

South-west Hinterlands between the camp and the mercenary fortress on Nightmare mode, there are just way too many mobs to get anything done.

You'll be fighting a bear, then get ganked by assassins, then another bear will come at the end of the fight until you're in a endless cycle of just surviving your last fight.

I was trying to get the south west camp in the Hinterlands on nightmare and had to fight 1 Bear, 2 Great Bears (due to quest) 3 Hounds and 2 Wolves all in one battle.

Still the most annoying enemies on Nightmare are Lesser Terrors and Wraiths due to their insane damage as it bypasses armor.

I was trying to get the south west camp in the Hinterlands on nightmare and had to fight 1 Bear, 2 Great Bears (due to quest) 3 Hounds and 2 Wolves all in one battle.

Still the most annoying enemies on Nightmare are Lesser Terrors and Wraiths due to their insane damage as it bypasses armor.

Lesser Terrors and Rage demons at low level is literally rage inducing. Wraiths are annoying when they focus on you in bulk.

ppor

So I have a bug where quick travel and warping to Skyhold are grayed out, am I totally stuck in Emprise du Lion? Apparently the game thinks I'm still in a dungeon even though I can run all over the map and rest at camps, just can't teleport to them.

I just killed the boss and claimed
Suledin Keep
for the Inquisition, need to talk to
Michel
to complete the quest, but can't find him. I also unlocked the
Judicael's Crossing
operation before doing this quest and apparently it makes the game glitchy?

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/527596-mystery-quest-in-suledin-keep/

Quoting myself, patch came out today and fixed my issue. Lucky me!

Well that's disappointing. I killed the Highland Revenger dragon and the trophy didn't appear for killing all dragons. This is the first time a trophy ever glitched on me. I'll do it again in my next playthrough.

Arjen

Well that's disappointing. I killed the Highland Revenger dragon and the trophy didn't appear for killing all dragons. This is the first time a trophy ever glitched on me. I'll do it again in my next playthrough.

Reload a save and do it again, that seems to work for most people.

Auctopus

So, after finally getting through the first part of the Mage's mission on Nightmare when you are separated with Dorian, the game gives me the 'can't select conversation options so you've gotta reset the game' bug. Infuriating to say the least.

I've enjoyed this game for the most part but I'm going to think twice before buying another bioware game. A lot of this feels rushed and some of the bugs are so detrimental to gameplay, I'm surprised they got through testing.

Well, I killed the final high dragon and the achievement didn't pop. Stupid Xbox Live.

Yep, that was the last one I killed, too. Lame.

Haha first time I went into western and south western Hinterlands about 2-3 levels underleveled, I was getting destroyed by bears and assassins... was barely surviving, hanging onto dear life through parries and my two tanks... and every single time I thought I almost had the last enemy dead, I would get flanked again.

I refused to try escape the area and restock on potions... and I barely hung in there and god I was happy to finally reach that last camp site haha

actually one of my most memorable moments in the game (up there with giants in Emprise du Lion)
Is it just me or is there a serious lack of Qunari in this game? Outside of Iron Bull (and his companion quests) I don't think I saw any.
sometimes there's 1 up on the castle wall beside Cullen's tower!

....that's about it though lol :(

DA2 had more than enough. I'm ok with it.

Iron Bull basically outlines why the Qunari are laying low. The war is in full swing and they want Bull and agents like Bull to tell them where the wind blows. You even get the option during an act 2 dialogue with Bull to accept Qunari troops.

Auctopus

Forgive my ignorance, Inquisition is my first proper Dragon Age title (I played parts of DA:O & DA2). Just read on the 2015 RPG thread that Origins had 6 unique prologue chapters depending on race & class? Were these genuine?

Inquisition could've used some spiced up prologues besides for "What's that green thing on your hand, you *insert derogatory racial term*?!"

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Forgive my ignorance, Inquisition is my first proper Dragon Age title (I played parts of DA:O & DA2). Just read on the 2015 RPG thread that Origins had 6 unique prologue chapters depending on race & class? Were these genuine?

Inquisition could've used some spiced up prologues besides for "What's that green thing on your hand, you *insert derogatory racial term*?!"

Each race and some classes had their own unique origin story, was a really nice little system and added something more personal to each character.

Problem is I think Bioware looked at the metrics and saw that the majority of people played as a boring human and decided it was not worth implanting in future games.

Chitown B

Each race and some classes had their own unique origin story, was a really nice little system and added something more personal to each character.

Problem is I think Bioware looked at the metrics and saw that the majority of people played as a boring human and decided it was not worth implanting in future games.

seriously? who the F would play as human?

GorillaJu

I only play as humans. Dunno, just don't like the weird body shapes of the other ones for my main character though my party is Bull, Varric and Solas so clearly I don't mind the companions like that :)

Melchiah

So this happened after I crafted my latest greataxe :

89dlX5F.jpg

The pommel is just here next to me, floating in the air, at all times. Tried unequipping the axe, giving it to another character... nothing works. It only gets back into place during cutscenes.

I've come to get used to it. Kinda reminds me of my time with Destiny.

The Destiny remark gave me a smile.

I had a similar bug with the armor that I crafted, which stretched the inquisitor's arms in cutscenes as seen below.

Luckily, I found schematics for another armor later on, which didn't have the issue.

So guys I got round to playing this game and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I mean I guess I'm Enjoying it, I'm at the farm area just now but I just seen to be dying all the time, especially at the rift where the west roads are just before the farm.

I decided to roll as a rogue archer but yeah I dunno what's going on >.<

Icefire1424

I mean I guess I'm Enjoying it, I'm at the farm area just now but I just seen to be dying all the time, especially at the rift where the west roads are just before the farm.

I just got into this as well (finally). Check the level of the baddies you're trying to fight. There are a few rifts in the Hinterlands with enemies North of level 10 that will mess you up pretty quickly. The rift in the river near the farm comes to mind immediately.

Personal thoughts having played Origins and DA:2? I love this game. At times it almost feels like a hybrid of Dragon Age and WoW. Love how much more open it is that Origins, and I'm having a lot of fun with the crafting system. I missed being able to customize everyone's loadouts from 2, really glad that came back.

Leave. The. Fucking. Hinterlands.

There are a ton of higher level bad guys that you pretty much can't beat at a low level. Go to other areas and level up. The Hinterlands is pretty much just an intro level -- most of the quests are bad. You're really doing yourself a disservice if you don't move on by like level 6/7.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I plan on picking up Dragon Age 1 & 2 on the xbox live sale, they're going for like $4 each.

My question - is the Legacy DLC for DA2 good? The game itself is $4 but the DLC is $10. I know about the boss in that DLC and how important he is but is the DLC itself good enough to justify spending double of what I'm paying for on the actual game?

Leave. The. Fucking. Hinterlands.

There are a ton of higher level bad guys that you pretty much can't beat at a low level. Go to other areas and level up. The Hinterlands is pretty much just an intro level -- most of the quests are bad. You're really doing yourself a disservice if you don't move on by like level 6/7.
I just got into this as well (finally). Check the level of the baddies you're trying to fight. There are a few rifts in the Hinterlands with enemies North of level 10 that will mess you up pretty quickly. The rift in the river near the farm comes to mind immediately.

Personal thoughts having played Origins and DA:2? I love this game. At times it almost feels like a hybrid of Dragon Age and WoW. Love how much more open it is that Origins, and I'm having a lot of fun with the crafting system. I missed being able to customize everyone's loadouts from 2, really glad that came back.

Yeah I'm level 6 now so I'll move onto the other areas now. I've unlocked loads in the war room so I guess I should put it to good use!

One last quick question as this is my first Dragons Age game, should I be buying Schematics/weapons/armour from vendors or does armour etc drop as I progress?

I'm used to games like wow/Diablo where I can get things from just drops and not necessarily having to buy stuff but I'm unsure if it's the same process in this game!

Yeah I'm level 6 now so I'll move onto the other areas now. I've unlocked loads in the war room so I guess I should put it to good use!

One last quick question as this is my first Dragons Age game, should I be buying Schematics/weapons/armour from vendors or does armour etc drop as I progress?

I'm used to games like wow/Diablo where I can get things from just drops and not necessarily having to buy stuff but I'm unsure if it's the same process in this game!
Decent armor drops occasionally, but I found that crafting your own armor/weapons every few levels yields the best equipment. A good way to tell if you need to craft again is once you start finding better equipment than you currently have.

Hasney

Is the Botanist trophy glitched for anyone? Just wondering because I'm pretty sure I've harvested more than 50 at this point, but I'm going backwards and forwards to do it as it's the last trophy I need before the final story ones on Nightmare.

Already killed 11 dragons and had to hit level 20 twice for those trophies, so thought I'd ask before I lose my sanity in going backwards and forwards from Skyhold.

EDIT: of course, after I post that, it pops the next herb I grab. Onwards to the platinum!

Top Bottom