• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Yeah Emprise is pretty brutal if you're under level 15, but it's also one of my favorite zones in the game.

So there it is, I platinumed this baby yesterday. I had tremendous fun in both my playthrough, although I'll never create a 2h warrior again. This class is so hopelessly weak it's ridiculous.

Going to double dip for the PC version, then have a third playthrough with an archer. At the end of the game I was playing half the time with Sera because that Longbow of the Griffon is so fucking sexy.

neoism

so did the ps4 patch break anythang... been waiting 2 fucking months for more patches... will have to wait til tomorrow to play though... :/

Yeah Emprise is pretty brutal if you're under level 15, but it's also one of my favorite zones in the game.

So there it is, I platinumed this baby yesterday. I had tremendous fun in both my playthrough, although I'll never create a 2h warrior again. This class is so hopelessly weak it's ridiculous.

Going to double dip for the PC version, then have a third playthrough with an archer. At the end of the game I was playing half the time with Sera because that Longbow of the Griffon is so fucking sexy.

That area wrecked me at level 13 but I had no problem at level 15 :)

The-Bean

So I'm up to the final quest in the main storyline. Apparently you can keep playing afterwards, but some quests will no longer be possible to complete. Does anyone know what quests these are (as spoiler-free as possible)? I'm wanting to play as many of the quests as possible, but the areas are all pretty large and I'm really wanting to finish the main story.

Auctopus

So I'm up to the final quest in the main storyline. Apparently you can keep playing afterwards, but some quests will no longer be possible to complete. Does anyone know what quests these are (as spoiler-free as possible)? I'm wanting to play as many of the quests as possible, but the areas are all pretty large and I'm really wanting to finish the main story.

The Inner Circle quests mainly. I started a new game after finishing the story despite the remaining quests because the world and Skyhold felt sort of lifeless. I only go back to that save to get the Dragon trophy.

Had to use the tactical menu to take down a boss,
Nightmare was really giving me trouble
. I found the interface for that system to be pretty clunky when I first played around with it but being forced to use/learn that menu to take down the boss made me appreciate it a lot more.

So...does anyone know if there are any repercussions for doing story missions out of order? I spent several hours doing side missions and just general leveling and completely forgot to talk to another character to trigger a story mission.
It's the From the Ashes/Here Lies the Abyss missions where you need to speak to Varric to trigger FtA. I ended up doing Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts, and realized that something was wrong when I was told to speak to Hawke. Between the leveling and trying to figure out why Josephine's "An Unexpected Affair" wasn't triggering (i'm hoping that doing these missions will fix that), I completely forgot to talk to Varric.

Melchiah

Just played the multiplayer on solo, and when I was over halfway through the game crashed, and I lost everything I had gained. The MP is still a fucking mess.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just played the multiplayer on solo, and when I was over halfway through the game crashed, and I lost everything I had gained. The MP is still a fucking mess.
Had you been playing long? I find that after a few hours the game crashes at the war table, then I look at the executable which is still frozen and it's using 3.5GB of memory so I wonder if it doesn't have a memory leak that makes it hit a limit that it's not supposed to.

Dice

I know, right? The best thing you have is Might Blow because it knocks down almost anything for your team to freely attack. What helped me A LOT is a belt that refills my stamina 30% for every successful hit, and I also use my crafted greatsword because if you aren't hitting multiple targets, you're pointless.

The stamina allows me to use block & slash a lot more, so it's a lot easier to fight dragons and hurlock alphas, and if I do well enough, it builds guard at the same time. Still, moves that boost guard among crowds are essential and even then it can easily get drained fast. Whirlwind is okay in those situations if you have the upgrade for it and the passive that boosts stamina when you multi-hit, but you're still mostly just distracting them while the others clean up. Pommel Strike sucks because it misses easily and doesn't stun anything worth stunning, same for charging bull knocking people down.

When the shit really hits the fan, the class is basically worthless without a mage dropping barriers on you because you get all the attention but have no real protection from ranged attacks. Other than that, you only seem good for opening up the enemy for others rather than doing significant damage yourself. A rogue can open people up AND do way more damage AND have high evasion.

Edit: Oops, I meant for this to be an edit. But anyway, I also happened to never use Dorian until I had a ton of points and Necromancer open, so I maxed that tree and put leftover points into barrier & dispel and HOLY SHIT he tears stuff up! Of course then I run into way more special magic barriers that need a particular elemental cast, but I can keep around a small staff collection for that to just basic attack them.

Melchiah

Had you been playing long? I find that after a few hours the game crashes at the war table, then I look at the executable which is still frozen and it's using 3.5GB of memory so I wonder if it doesn't have a memory leak that makes it hit a limit that it's not supposed to.

Only few matches, and this is the first time the game crashes to the OS for me. The connection to the servers has failed during the matches before though. It's extremely annoying, especially on solo, as you lose all progress. This doesn't bode well for the ME4 multiplayer.

It never crashed during the campaign, and I often played 7-9 hours in a row.

I know, right? The best thing you have is Might Blow because it knocks down almost anything for your team to freely attack. What helped me A LOT is a belt that refills my stamina 30% for every successful hit, and I also use my crafted greatsword because if you aren't hitting multiple targets, you're pointless.

The stamina allows me to use block & slash a lot more, so it's a lot easier to fight dragons and hurlock alphas, and if I do well enough, it builds guard at the same time. Still, moves that boost guard among crowds are essential and even then it can easily get drained fast. Whirlwind is okay in those situations if you have the upgrade for it and the passive that boosts stamina when you multi-hit, but you're still mostly just distracting them while the others clean up. Pommel Strike sucks because it misses easily and doesn't stun anything worth stunning, same for charging bull knocking people down.

When the shit really hits the fan, the class is basically worthless without a mage dropping barriers on you because you get all the attention but have no real protection from ranged attacks. Other than that, you only seem good for opening up the enemy for others rather than doing significant damage yourself. A rogue can open people up AND do way more damage AND have high evasion.
+2 guard on hit is made for 2 hand warrior classes.

Yeah I ended up using Mighty Blow 90% of the time, really effective against large groups of enemies, but also Charging Bull mostly to get out of difficult situations fast.

As soon as I got up against a powerful enemy that couldn't be knocked down I'd just switch to Solas, and if I forgot to put a barrier right away, my warrior was always the first to kick it.
Perks that increases you guard are hardly useful for 2h warriors because of their lame ass defensive skills, half your fucking guard gets knocked off in a single hit.

I really hope there'll be more balance in the sequel.

Dice

So I got all geared up fresh for killin dragons and I killed one SO EASY so I went ahead and fought the
first one at Emprise du Lion
but then KALTENZAHN! OMG!

Uh yeahhhh... I think I might need that combat roll to beat him... and maybe Reaver specs... and forget Varric so I can have Blackwall AND Cassandra... and maybe kill other dragons and get to level 20 and level 3 focus attacks first...

I wish you could have a fling with
Morrigan.
I know why you can't, but she is so hot and snarky. Too bad.

tgIJcp6.gif

Play Origins.

Subitai

So I got all geared up fresh for killin dragons and I killed one SO EASY so I went ahead and fought the
first one at Emprise du Lion
but then KALTENZAHN! OMG!

Uh yeahhhh... I think I might need that combat roll to beat him... and maybe Reaver specs... and forget Varric so I can have Blackwall AND Cassandra... and maybe kill other dragons and get to level 20 and level 3 focus attacks first...
I got pwn3d at first, but when I started caving and favoring defensive stats and making sure I was 2 or 3 lvls above the lvl of the dragon I was attacking, things became much more manageable. Cassandra almost has 1300 hp, Sera almost 1000 hp, and me almost 1150 hp didn't worry about getting any additional spell resistance, but I did make sure Cassandra and my warrior had weapons/armors that proc-ed Walking Fortress. Although, there are other lower lvl dragons you can probably get
starting in Crestwood

Ferrio

Banned
Random question, why is my character in her damn undies everytime she has a war table meeting? It was also weird as hell seeing her in them when she was given the title of inquisitor.

Random question, why is my character in her damn undies everytime she has a war table meeting? It was also weird as hell seeing her in them when she was given the title of inquisitor.
Sounds hot. As inquisitor, you are allowing your advisors to gaze upon your magnificent lower garments.

Ferrio

Banned
No seriously, is it a bug with my game? It looks so stupid her being in pajamas in these cutscenes. It's a female dwarf too, so not that hot.

_woLf

I finally am getting into this game on PS4 and it's probably one of the buggiest games I've played in a long time...I only just beat the first main quest in the Hinterlands (ive been exploring for ever) and I've had entire camps vanish before my eyes while standing in them, getting stuck in falling animation while running, characters running around without limbs or heads, my dialogue wheel not popping up in important conversations, requiring me to quit the game and restart it...and that's just naming a few of them.

Jeez.

Ralemont

not me
tgIJcp6.gif

Play Origins.

Awesome. I just watched the PAX South Panel BioWare did and Mike Laidlaw knows his audience so well. Someone asked him why Leliana can't be romanced in Inquisition and his paraphrased answer was: "Because it'd amount to her cheating on you with you. It doesn't matter if she's actually cheating, and we'd certainly get blamed for it somehow. So yeah, off limits."

Am I right in guessing that the close 75 rifts trophy is bugged?

It wasn't for me. I don't know if it was exactly 75 rifts but it definitely popped for me.

Dice

I got pwn3d at first, but when I started caving and favoring defensive stats and making sure I was 2 or 3 lvls above the lvl of the dragon I was attacking, things became much more manageable. Cassandra almost has 1300 hp, Sera almost 1000 hp, and me almost 1150 hp didn't worry about getting any additional spell resistance, but I did make sure Cassandra and my warrior had weapons/armors that proc-ed Walking Fortress. Although, there are other lower lvl dragons you can probably get
Yeah, I'm going around everywhere killing dragons. It's so easy except for that one. Now everyone is level 18 and I haven't started Wicked Eyes, Wicked Hearts... you could say I've been a completionist as I go. People say you'll burn out doing that, but they aren't real completionists! Speaking of procs... can you proc things that don't belong to your class? If so, could an archer proc Shield Bash with an arrow, or a mage Hidden Blades?

As for being a completionist, I will say, the Exalted Plains were absolute garbage! So many pathways making you go ALLLLL THE WAY AROUND with absolutely nothing on the map showing where you can't go, and even the damn ramparts and everything were all twisty-turny to the point of absurdity. Emprise du Lion was also shit in this regard but at least once you got used to it things weren't so bad. Still, for either one of them, I can guarantee that human beings would never make such ludicrous scaffolding requiring you to run around in circles for 20 minutes when it would take 2 minutes with a few ladders in the right spots. Jesus. And so many fucking invisible walls everywhere so you can't skip.

I like the elven and dwarven dungeons, though. Those are cool. But if this is not DLC then I will be pissed. I mean look at where it is and everything around it. You can't go anywhere else there. The invisible walls make no sense.

Anyway, as a random aside I had some funny things happening with Dorian. Some intended, some weird bugs.

The undead undead:
FFtzIUa.jpg

The re-dead ghost:
pEYXDPp.jpg

Hangin out with Mr Corpse, who wants to stay undead, but learned his lesson after a good beating and decided he will behave and just stand there and not hurt anyone:
btHxK5r.jpg

But seriously, he is extra-undead:
8mrafQ1.jpg

Went up to the next house and his neighbor got the same idea, and the other became another undead undead for a while:
pvXPZI5.jpg

VA3hN95.jpg

It took forever to get a Ferelden Tome off of one of these guys, I had like 15 medals of service.

And an older screen from when I was running lower settings/resolution, just because my inquisitor is a babe:
wm4rUke.jpg

I think I'm going to [late Solas romance spoilers]
keep the tattoo. I don't know if that will change things in the story since his explanation is rather innocuous in terms of meaning anything present-day, except for these ancient villains thinking they're getting their asses kicked by a slave, which is even better.

diaspora

I would really like the next DLC to be Vivienne focused. She's by far the smartest and most pragmatic person I've ever seen in this entire damn series.

I would really like the next DLC to be Vivienne focused. She's by far the smartest and most pragmatic person I've ever seen in this entire damn series.
Over on the DAI tools forum, one of the modders there was poking around some of the files and noted a DLC file with Qunari models in it. So maybe Sten comes back ( as the new Arishok)?

Auctopus

If Vivienne was my only party member, I wouldn't mind her. She's also very powerful once upgraded.

But she picks a fight with every other party member, it's so annoying just listening to her unprovoked smarmy insults.

Ralemont

not me
But she picks a fight with every other party member, it's so annoying just listening to her unprovoked smarmy insults.

She likes Cassandra and Varric for what it's worth.

I'd be fine with a Vivienne DLC if only because I don't feel the game fleshed her out enough. You do her companion mission and it's like....that's it?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've put 40 hours into this game and only recently
gotten skyhold and found the warden main quest

How far along am I? Is his game that big?

Melchiah

The conversations I've had with her at Haven and Skyhold are what makes me think this. She's irritating as hell with everyone but Bull but as far as her opinions on the Circle and Chantry are concerned she's perfect.

Her views were the opposite of my inquisitor, who
broke the cicle, and let Leliana to reform the chantry.
And I couldn't stand her snobby attitude.

diaspora

Her views were the opposite of my inquisitor, who
broke the cicle, and let Leliana to reform the chantry.
And I couldn't stand her snobby attitude.
That's an apt description of my first play through. My second I talked to her some more and I ended up agreeing with her opinions regardless of the snobby attitude that wrapped it.

Melchiah

That's an apt description of my first play through. My second I talked to her some more and I ended up agreeing with her opinions regardless of the snobby attitude that wrapped it.

I can't imagine that happening for me, which is why I hope she won't have a pivotal role in any future add-on. I just want to keep ignoring here as I've done so far. If I could choose the main character for new content, Leliana or Dorian would get my vote.

Dice

It's true. Vivienne may look down on everyone, but it's only because everyone is being so naive about how rulership and stability actually work. You can have disagreements with her, but your reasoning better be more articulate than a teenager demanding freedom over their own life from their parents.

The mages are busy looking at what is possible instead of what happens because of their search of it, the rebels of every other sort are too busy looking at incidents involving rule to realize that infrastructure is indispensable, and she may acquiesce to the problems of tight theocratic rulership a bit too much but she is fully lucid about the implications of every aspect and what the least of many evils is.

The thing about her is that nobody is her intellectual rival except for maybe Dorian, but he doesn't care to challenge her because their worlds are separate except for the great evil that would threaten them both. Remove that aspect and he will still have problems with the Chantry, but his issues with it are separate from anything that anyone else would bring up.

He's smart enough to realize that no revolution or inquisition is going to smoothly and quickly transform a system and faith ingrained in so many people, and trying to slowly change a system while holding it is better than uprooting it, because in doing so you all to quickly become the all more severe form of the very thing you hated most about the old establishment.

You know, I actually never thought about having two mages in my party, but the potential for their banter is so high I might go for it. If I come across a locked door I can always come back later.

WHY DOES VIVIENNE KEEP APPROVING OF ME KILLING NUGS?
lol this brings to mention how when you kill innocent, gentle animals your party shouts things like they are killing darkspawn

*blows up a halla* "ONE DOOOWWNN!!"

I ran with two mages (Dorian and Solas) in my party at one point and it tore faces. Not really used much of Vivienne though :/

I definitely feel that having a tank and 3 ranged party members is the best option in this game as whenever I personally have a melee DPS in my party they're always dying or using my potions.

They only melee conpanion I found useful was Cole purely due to his skill that makes enemies fall asleep :p which used in conjunction with my guaranteed crits on sleeping targets perk, it's quite nice. Obviously the CC is a bonus too.

I want to use IB but after trying him yet again, not worthwhile :/

Top Bottom