• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Ralemont

not me
So I was kinda bummed out by the different impressions of the game after release of the quests being MMO-ish but I found it for cheap and just bought it straight up.

I usually research my games ALOT before purchasing, but I thought why the hell not, there has to be something good about it!

Any tips ?

There's a lot of story content but most of it takes place in Skyhold. Find a good way to pace yourself alternating between exploring the zones and doing companion/story missions and I feel it's much more enjoyable.

neoism

We'll I'm on ps4 and not sure if it's just that I clean my hd TV off lol or not but seems like the game has more pop and color or something... Plus the left camera stick seems faster..... Also loooove the new top down camera angle with the battle mode.... Advance time thing....

Still extremely disappointed I reaalllllllllly don't want to start over again at least not for awhile. But even though I like my characters look. I really want to change her face and if I end up 100%ing this play through that feature is pointless to me :( :( :( I've been waiting almost all this year whhhhy bio ware why

gioGAF

Man I swear if the Black Emporium isnt in this patch or its DLC Im done with this game...
If I've learned anything from this game its not to buy Bioware games until a year out.. smh......
Thankfully I already learned this lesson. Looking forward to playing this game by the end of this year (hopefully).

Lucreto

To the people who have yet to check the patch out.

The storage chest is in the undercroft right in front of you as you enter. I am sure most people just jumped down from that ledge but the chest prevents it now.

The tint armour station is now beside the buy/sell pole.

The tint armour is a lot nicer than I thought it would be. My Inquisitor now sports a shiny gold chestplate and red cloth over the arms and legs.

No Black Emporium in this patch, but they are already working on the next patch so if it is as quick as this one we won't have to wait long.

I also got 3 new war table missions unlocked. I think it was a bug which prevented them from unlocking. I got Unmasked "Those across the sea" and Stop you War between Navarra and Tevinter.

Super drag that the Dark Emporium is not in this patch... I was thinking about restarting the game when it came out. I just might do that anyway. Don't see anyone talking about performance improvements.

Fuck me

Had the most intense fight ever when killing the last High Dragon. The rest of the party are dead and Cass is the only one left. I've got just about enough hp to one shot kill me, thank god for guard and a ton of adds. What a fight

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Man, I really need to start playing this again. Barely played 4 hours of it. For shame.

Any noob tips? Not new to DA really but the game.

After finishing DA:I:

Qualms:
-Story driven side quests. Where are they? BioWare is or was really good at this, showcasing the talents of the voice actors and writers of the game. Without this playing DA:I is like watching myself as the main dude in I am Legend. There's absolutely no sense of immersion when I spend more that half the time mounted and running around the map just to get those points to progress the main quest.
-Main quest is surprisingly short
-It felt I'm just eliminating the Red Templars just to level
-Giant spider gland drop rate is horrendous (Dragon Slayer Rune)
-Some recycled character animations
-Capturing keeps. I really don't see the point in it, apart from just a travel point. Might as well divert those effort in creating Keeps to making more story driven quests. I was expecting capturing a keep was like
besieging Adamant Fortress
. Disappointingly, its not.
-Immersion. The story loses its pace after doing parts of the main quest, because BAM!! here I am again killing stuff and closing portals just to level up and gain points

Ok's
+ Graphics
+Texture
+Dragon Fight (More fight variations please)
+Characters from previous instalments. Where's Oghren?
+DA:I characters
+Politics
+Soundtrack

7/10

Sothpaw

Just finished first run through on nightmare. Started on launch and slogged through.

- Environments are absolutely incredible. Some of the best I have seen in a 3D game.
- Companions are mixed bag; really liked Blackwall and Vivienne.
- Combat is terrible. Mash mash mash. Even DAII combat is better.
- Tactical camera is terrible.
- Keyboard controls are horrible; had to switch to controller :/
- Sidequests are terrible.
- Loot is fucking horrible.
- Story is forgettable.

5/10 not going to play again or recommend to anyone.

lionpants

I'm bummed that I can not get into this game, this is my genre and I was so pumped for it! I just get really tired and start yawning/falling asleep when I play.

Any improvements to load times on XB1? They're brutal.

It took me a really long time after my first playthrough to start a second character because I really did not feel like playing it all over again.

2-3 months later and I am feeling it again. That sense of wanting to explore every nook and cranny, and this time with the added mindset of leaving the hinterlands after a few hours.

This game is once again so much fun. Also there is a great improvement in the overall combat with the 2h warrior in comparison to an archer or rogue. So visceral.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
holy balls, arcane horrors are simply no fun at all to fight against

there are so many poor design decisions around the combat in this game, it's fairly exasperating

holy balls, arcane horrors are simply no fun at all to fight against

there are so many poor design decisions around the combat in this game, it's fairly exasperating
I cannot stand Arcane horrors. They are literally the worst enemies in the game. Even when you're a much higher level, their spirit blast attack does ridiculous damage. Greater Terrors are also cunts as well.

I cannot stand Arcane horrors. They are literally the worst enemies in the game. Even when you're a much higher level, their spirit blast attack does ridiculous damage. Greater Terrors are also cunts as well.

Pretty much. They are a ridiculously overpowered enemy because the only thing you can do to hinder their attack is using freeze on them. You can not stagger them, or throw them on the ground.

Even if you managed to hit him a couple of times he teleports across the room and start with the whole spirit blast attack again.

Great game but true, the game itself is full of design flaws combat wise.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I just turn the difficulty down whenever I have to face more than one Arcane Horror at a time. I have no interest in suffering through these fights over and over again.

At least with the tough fights in BG2 I had the feeling that with extremely clever tactics and spell management I could make it through the fight. Here I just have to hope that the AI freaks out and gets stuck behind a small wall or something.

So this game is $40 on Amazon, PC digital version, and I'm on the fence.

I loved origins, skipped 2, and I'm wondering if I should pick it up or wait it out.

Thoughts?

Sothpaw

I loved origins, skipped 2, and I'm wondering if I should pick it up or wait it out.

Thoughts?

I would not recommend this game to anyone. Beat it on nightmare last week (started on launch so that tells you what I think about it) and I am just glad it is over with. I really enjoyed Origins on PC. People in this thread will probably tell you to jump on it, but if you want to see points against the game check out the review and thread over on rpgcodex.

Thoughts?

Get it for a cheaper price, imo. There's a lot of stuff that BioWare needs to improve on and probably address before they make a sequel/expansion. The most negative aspect of the I found was the lack of pacing and its consistency. My review is just a few posts up

neoism

Thoughts?

wait until the summer... its been a waiting game for me since launch... realllllllly wish I'd waited.. bioware games are fucking messes at launch.. and they are almost as slow with patches as blizzard.

Khayam

Banned
Shit, when fixing the amulet exploit, Bioware removed many loot locations for amulets.

The one in the Fade doesn't drop anymore. The one in Celene's Vault neither. A few dragons don't drop them anymore. The one in Valammar doesn't drop either... you got the idea.

I'm very bummed by this, I'm in the Fade and I hate continuing without it.

Grisby

Was thinking about starting a new game as a female elf inquisitor pretty soon. I think I want to take another trip through these lovely environments. Question though, who should I go after this time around, Josephine or Sera? Curious which one you guys thought was better (if you went for either of those two).

Also, any news on DLC coming down the road?

One last thing, if any bioware guys are reading this, thanks for putting up the tarot cards on your store and thanks for the bards songs on Itunes!

Linkark07

Banned

Thoughts?

Origin has it for $36 on the US store. $24 Mexican store.

So wondering, for $24 should I bite or wait it to go even cheaper?

Was thinking about starting a new game as a female elf inquisitor pretty soon. I think I want to take another trip through these lovely environments. Question though, who should I go after this time around, Josephine or Sera? Curious which one you guys thought was better (if you went for either of those two).

Also, any news on DLC coming down the road?

One last thing, if any bioware guys are reading this, thanks for putting up the tarot cards on your store and thanks for the bards songs on Itunes!

Josephine is a more old-fashioned "impress the girl with subtle compliments" innocent romance.

Didn't romance Sera but I imagine it would be... different.

For those on the fence, if you want to play it today, buy it. If you've waited this long and can continue waiting for a lower price, do so. Games will always get cheaper in the long run. I wanted to play it at launch so I bought it then and even though it's half the price now I don't regret my purchase.

Menome

If you want traditional romance; Josephine. If you want nudity and cheekiness; Sera.

Grisby

No announcement from Bio as of yet, they have been pretty quiet
Yeah, hadn't heard anything myself. Was just checking.
Josephine is a more old-fashioned "impress the girl with subtle compliments" innocent romance.

Didn't romance Sera but I imagine it would be... different.
Yeah, I think I want a more fun, sorta deal. I'll probably go with Sera.
If you want traditional romance; Josephine. If you want nudity and cheekiness; Sera.
Cheeky sounds alright.

Well fuck. I knew this would happen. I stayed in the Hinterlands and now i'm overleved :|

In my defense i couldn't just wait doing nothing while the rest of the game installed... which i suspect is why the Hinterlands are so dense with content. I was thinking of siding with the mages... i hope Cassandra doesn't disagree too much.

Matush

So can anyone recommend me the most op character builds + crew for Nightmare run? Latest patch fixed couple of exploits so not sure what to use anymore. Thanks.

So can anyone recommend me the most op character builds + crew for Nightmare run? Latest patch fixed couple of exploits so not sure what to use anymore. Thanks.

I'd recommend Knight Enchanter, and I would run Cole, Sera and Cassandra/Blackwall until you get the KE specialization.

Once you get KE it's irrelevant since you can solo nightmare. I'd actually choose based on party interaction, but for power, I'd go with some combination of Cole, Sera, Solas, Dorian and Vivienne.

Vivienne is probably the strongest but redundant since you're the KE.

Cole is 2nd. Sera is 3rd, but the AI doesn't use Tempest properly, so you'll have to micromanage constantly.

Running four mages is not quite as powerful but strong enough and the most hands-off option.

My character is starting to annoy me after 55h. I hate his face, I hate his beard. So I stopped playing 2 months ago.

I'll play it if the patch is out. I think I shouldn't be that far off:
Last main quest I was drinking out of some kind of magic water, I forgot the context, how many mainquest/hours left ?

look at him, such an arrogant douche he is.

dai1sudp.jpg

My character is starting to annoy me after 55h. I hate his face, I hate his beard. So I stopped playing 2 months ago.

I'll play it if the patch is out. I think I shouldn't be that far off:
Last main quest I was drinking out of some kind of magic water, I forgot the context, how many mainquest/hours left ?

look at him, such an arrogant douche he is.

dai1sudp.jpg

1 or 2 more main quest, and then that's you done.

Top Bottom