• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'll get the game on PC soon. I'm contemplating changing my R9 270x to be able to experience it in Ultra settings (in 1080p). Advice, anyone ? Don't want to pay more than 250 €/$300.
I have an R270x and I play max everything except MSAA which I turn off and it runs well enough if I use Mantle in fullscreen. If you want solid 60fps with everything including MSAA, it may be more expensive than that, and may include more factors than just the graphics card.

I wish there was an easier way to manage the War Table missions.

I'm at a point where they're all over the map, and if I view them and decide to pass until later, I can't tell which ones are completed vs. which ones are available at a glance without hovering over every single pin. If there is a way to mark them as new and I've been missing it, I'd feel really stupid.

Aren't the new ones marked with an exclamation point or some kind of yellow dot ? I never had a problem with that unless I went into the mission menu, then the mark would disappear.

I have an R270x and I play max everything except MSAA which I turn off and it runs well enough if I use Mantle in fullscreen. If you want solid 60fps with everything including MSAA, it may be more expensive than that, and may include more factors than just the graphics card.

Thanks. Think I'll just stick with with the 270x and see how it holds up. It sure as hell will be better than PS4 anyway.
I wonder if the clipping is as agressive on PC, particularly on character models. You had hair/beard going through characters faces and armors and hands disappearing in bodies for half the characters. Really off-putting.

nawwafh

Just reached Skyhold.. Am i at least halfway through the story?

Also..
That attack on haven mission was a pain in the ass.. all because I haven't been using tactical camera at all.. but i had to for this mission..

Just reached Skyhold.. Am i at least halfway through the story?

Also..
That attack on haven mission was a pain in the ass.. all because I haven't been using tactical camera at all.. but i had to for this mission..

Depends on how much areas you have covered so far.
Story wise, I'd say you're still at 1/3 of the whole story.

Depends on how much areas you have covered so far.
Story wise, I'd say you're still at 1/3 of the whole story.

Probably *slightly more*, given relative quest length. Outside the prologue, the game's story basically has 3 Acts, but they vary a bit in length. Getting Skyhold is basically the Act 1>2 transition.

Act I:
"In Hushed Whispers"/"Champions of the Just" (Mages/Templars) and "In His Heart Shall Burn" (Attack on Haven.) Ends with the migration to Skyhold.

Act II:
"Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts" and "Here Lies the Abyss"

Act III:
"What Pride Hath Wrought" through to endgame.

Exactly how long each "Act" takes depends a lot on how much you explore, though, and each major story quest has a few areas primarily associated with them. However, only
of the 10 main regions are actually mandatory for the story:
The Hinterlands in Act I, and Crestwood and The Western Approach in Act II.

_woLf

Question about mission leading up to Skyhold...

Two people in Haven died, should I re-do the mission and save them? They died before I realized how to save people...

Further...

Is there anything specific I should do before losing Haven? Any recruits I need to get/missions I need complete?

Two people in Haven died, should I re-do the mission and save them? They died before I realized how to save people...

Absolutely not.

I fretted losing some of those people but even if you save all of them, they're all replaced at Skyhold and at most you maybe see the old people wandering around. But that's about it. Pretty lame really and definitely nothing to worry about.

Is there anything cool to do
after beating the game? I'm just wandering around skyhold and I cant even talk to my characters anymore. Sera went from my fiancee to a robot :(

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152550509]Is there anything cool to do
after beating the game? I'm just wandering around skyhold and I cant even talk to my characters anymore. Sera went from my fiancee to a robot :(
[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's a bug, I had a similar one.

Nothing new unlocks when you finish except a cutscene for which you have to go speak to Varric.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Guys, did I miss something? The Orlesian Wardens
well, you know what happened with them and the Venatori which is why they were disappearing. But what happened to the Ferelden Wardens from Amarantine?

I think it was specifically stated that *all* Ferelden and Orlesian Wardens are hearing the false Calling
Got a day off today (from everything and everyone) and finally started playing this.

Going for one single playthrough for Platinum, so I've been torturing myself on Nightmare. After 7 hours, I think I'm starting to get good at this. Maybe.

I suck at using the tactical view. Don't think I've properly activated it during a single batte yet. I'm too impatient.

Game's pretty good so far, though. And since I'm on Nightmare, every single kill counts and feels good.

What are you playing as? I meant what race/class?

There's a series of story battles later on that are an exceptionally pain in the arse if you don't bring proper class or have sufficient healing numbers or doesn't know how to... well, make it easier by doing certain things. It can be overwhelming.

I've platinumed the game.

Further...

Is there anything specific I should do before losing Haven? Any recruits I need to get/missions I need complete?

Nah, you only get approval from Varric and Vivienne
from saving all of them, which is not a big deal.

Spoiler number 2: the only things you can't do afterwards
are Haven specific side quests so beyond that, you're good.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152550509]Is there anything cool to do
[/QUOTE]

Nope. zip, nada.

Paganmoon

So... how far after
What pride had wrouth
is the last main quest? I've had it sitting on the War table for a bit but I'm not sure if it's the final main quest, as I want to do all sidequests before doing the final main quest.

diaspora

I think it was specifically stated that *all* Ferelden and Orlesian Wardens are hearing the false Calling
IIRC, it was explicitly stated they all disappeared, but we only tracked down Clarel and the Orlesian branch. Either way, I'm excited to see more about the
Warden Civil War.
Especially since the Mage-Templar war created deserters in both camps that joined them in Weisshaupt en masse.

Lux R7

This game is huge.
I don't have so much time to play it, but damn..
However, i'm ok with this, i really like to explore and take my time.

Side note, am i the only one that loves Sera here on Gaf? :D

This game is huge.
I don't have so much time to play it, but damn..
However, i'm ok with this, i really like to explore and take my time.

I think Sera is a lot of fun to use. A lot of people hate her guts though.

X-Frame

Damn, I just got a 1-Handed Sword "Song of the Marshes" from completing a War Table mission, it seems way too good to have gotten from a random table mission.

293 DPS
+32 Damage vs. Dragons
+12% Critical Chance
+21 Strength
On Hot: 10% Chance to apply Poison
Level 17

Wow.

gdt

Just started this finally. Quick question. I did a dragon age keep file awhile ago, importing my DAO and DAII stories. But I didn't k ow I had to choose export on the site.

I just did that but I'm already a few hours into DAI. Will the correct world state take effect now? Or am I boned and have to start a new game file?

Quoting for help.

So... how far after
What pride had wrouth
is the last main quest? I've had it sitting on the War table for a bit but I'm not sure if it's the final main quest, as I want to do all sidequests before doing the final main quest.

Honestly, that basically *is* the last quest. After doing it you get some story scenes and then a mission unlocks, but
the mission is literally just the final battle with no real lead-up

Maybesew

Last night I started a nightmare mode playthru and had more issues early on than I expected. I'm playing a Mage because I figured two mages would allow for a lot of control in combat and would help with survival. I'm really struggling in the hinterlands. I haven't been able to even get 4 power to get serrah and viv in Val royeaux. I can only survive one wave of a rift, and if I run from combat the rift respawns at full strength.
I'm trying to figure out what directions I can head in without hitting a rift, but they seem to be blocking every path.
I've seen a lot of threads about picking specializations, etc but didn't see anything about the early stages.

Last night I started a nightmare mode playthru and had more issues early on than I expected. I'm playing a Mage because I figured two mages would allow for a lot of control in combat and would help with survival. I'm really struggling in the hinterlands. I haven't been able to even get 4 power to get serrah and viv in Val royeaux. I can only survive one wave of a rift, and if I run from combat the rift respawns at full strength.
I'm trying to figure out what directions I can head in without hitting a rift, but they seem to be blocking every path.
I've seen a lot of threads about picking specializations, etc but didn't see anything about the early stages.

Take spirit tree powers to help you survive. Barrier and dispel for a start but the whole tree is worth taking imo. Also take fade step from the winter skill tree. Very useful to get you out of trouble early and into fights later if you go for knight enchanter.

I have been going back and forth for a while on whether or not I should pick this game up. Could anyone help me out by giving me a better idea if I might enjoy it based on what I say...

Basically I have tried to play Dragon Age Origins a few times. I didn't hate it, but everytime I felt like I got a little bored, so I never finished it. The furthest I remember is a little after ostagar is destroyed...i remember meeting Morrigan, and her joining my team vaguely. Other than that, that's kinda all the experience I have with the series. I heard the second game sucked, so I never bothered.

I was a big fan of Mass Effect for a long time. There was even a time where I would say it was my favorite new series during the PS3/360 generation...until the shitty ending of Mass Effect 3, and how lazily they tied the series together with the third game in general. Still really like KOTOR, even if it's aged in a few spots.

Based on some of this info, how do you think I might feel about Inquisition? Do i need to have played the previous games to enjoy the story for this even?

Menome

Last night, I finally got to do 'Wicked Eyes & Wicked Hearts'. Absolutely bloody magnificent and almost everything I'd hoped it to be. Only two niggles being:

The ticking-timer when you were away from the main party, seemed rather pointless with the sheer amount of points you could easily accrue.

and

Female Orlesian masks all having those massive hair-baskets. It's the Orlesian hats all over again. I'd rather have hair-clipping than these half-assed measures.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Based on some of this info, how do you think I might feel about Inquisition? Do i need to have played the previous games to enjoy the story for this even?
I think you'd enjoy it if you liked the ME series. However, I don't think the characters live up to those from the previous games or the ME series. There are a few interesting ones, but I felt they were really shallow.

In the end, I feel really indifferent towards DAI because it lost a lot of charm and character. Plus, it didn't do anything interesting with the world aside from making it large.

It's a decent game on its own, but get out of the hinterlands, get a mount (horse or w/e ASAP) and . . . try to have fun?

Sagely

I love Sera too, I think she's hilarious! I can understand why she's unpopular, but the odd things about her actually make her more appealing to me. Yes, she's childish and narrow-minded. Yes, she doesn't really fit with the Inquisition. Yes, she's silly and reckless. For me these things were interesting and made her the go-to character for time off from serious business. She was my romance option during the first playthrough, no regrets whatsoever :)

Her banter is really funny and I like how she gets on with Blackwall so well. All that aside, she's fantastic as a Tempest Archer in battle. Definitely a fun character!

I'm on my second run of this game. If you add up all the detailed story missions and companion missions I think you still have a solid 30 hrs of varied content. Most AAA games don't even approach that number. People that complain about side quests can go lay an egg.

Melchiah

I have been going back and forth for a while on whether or not I should pick this game up. Could anyone help me out by giving me a better idea if I might enjoy it based on what I say...

Basically I have tried to play Dragon Age Origins a few times. I didn't hate it, but everytime I felt like I got a little bored, so I never finished it. The furthest I remember is a little after ostagar is destroyed...i remember meeting Morrigan, and her joining my team vaguely. Other than that, that's kinda all the experience I have with the series. I heard the second game sucked, so I never bothered.

I was a big fan of Mass Effect for a long time. There was even a time where I would say it was my favorite new series during the PS3/360 generation...until the shitty ending of Mass Effect 3, and how lazily they tied the series together with the third game in general. Still really like KOTOR, even if it's aged in a few spots.

I think you'd enjoy it if you liked the ME series. However, I don't think the characters live up to those from the previous games or the ME series. There are a few interesting ones, but I felt they were really shallow.

In the end, I feel really indifferent towards DAI because it lost a lot of charm and character. Plus, it didn't do anything interesting with the world aside from making it large.

It's a decent game on its own, but get out of the hinterlands, get a mount (horse or w/e ASAP) and . . . try to have fun?

I loved ME series, hadn't played the previous DAs, and I definitely enjoyed DA:I very much. I did the Keep tapestry before playing the game, but all the info presented to you in the game felt pretty overwhelming in the beginning. It didn't take that long to get a grip of the lore and politics though.

After finishing the game I felt like I wanted to play Origins as well, but it just felt too clunky and dated after Inquisition. So, I'd say you don't have to like the earlier entries to like this one.

I love the dragons in this game. If I could add one thing to the dragons it would be to make them even more dynamic in terms of using the entire maps. It would be nice to get a map where the dragons hunt the player more or less.

Icefire1424

Speaking of dragons, I have yet to kill one of those things. Probably should get on that. Think I tried to take on the one in the Hinterlands around level 8 or so, ended badly.

I love the dragons in this game. If I could add one thing to the dragons it would be to make them even more dynamic in terms of using the entire maps. It would be nice to get a map where the dragons hunt the player more or less.
I found them disappointing because it was basically the same fight repeated 10 times. I wish each dragon was different. The dragon hunting the player is a nice twist on things.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I thought they were pretty boring, but it would be cool if they were more aggressive and attacked you at random points in those big empty maps. :p

Ended up making an archer rogue Inquisitor for my nightmare run and so far so good, thanks in part to Blackwall, Vivienne and Dorian (using terror demons against terror demons is fun!). While I'm those three could carry me to the end without choosing a specialization I feel the time has come to make a decision.

I'm torn between Tempest (after a renewal into DW, since archer attacks take too long to synergize well with Flask of Fire) or Assassin. If I were to choose tempest I think I'd switch Dorian for Cole, in order to have a Mark of Death to boost DPS. Any thoughts?

How I wish the blacksmith sold a renewal amulet for specializations...

Paganmoon

Ended up making an archer rogue Inquisitor for my nightmare run and so far so good, thanks in part to Blackwall, Vivienne and Dorian (using terror demons against terror demons is fun!). While I'm those three could carry me to the end without choosing a specialization I feel the time has come to make a decision.

I'm torn between Tempest (after a renewal into DW, since archer attacks take too long to synergize well with Flask of Fire) or Assassin. If I were to choose tempest I think I'd switch Dorian for Cole, in order to have a Mark of Death to boost DPS. Any thoughts?

How I wish the blacksmith sold a renewal amulet for specializations...

Tempest is OP as hell, Flask of Fire -> mark of the rift, everything dies.
On Boss mobs, Flask of Fire -> mark of the rift 3 times on the same spot.

If you do no more than 3 mark of the rifts with one flask of fire, it won't use up any of your focus, so you can just reuse it again whenever flask of fire is up again.

Varna

If you do no more than 3 mark of the rifts with one flask of fire, it won't use up any of your focus, so you can just reuse it again whenever flask of fire is up again.

They still haven't patched that out? What the fuck.

That's what I heard, but reading FoF's description seems like mark of the rift and thousand cuts not consuming focus is a glitch, and I wouldn't to base my decision on something that might change in the future (as there's no way to swap specializations). Also, I keep losing two thirds of my focus bar for no damn reason.

For the moment I've swapped Dorian for Cole to see if I like assassin.

Okay, so before Cole was cool.

He's an absolute beast. Two daggers that do 320 DPS each.

Damn, I just got a 1-Handed Sword "Song of the Marshes" from completing a War Table mission, it seems way too good to have gotten from a random table mission.

293 DPS
+32 Damage vs. Dragons
+12% Critical Chance
+21 Strength
On Hot: 10% Chance to apply Poison
Level 17

Wow.

Which mission?

Wow. I just played for 12 and a half hours straight and I didn't even leave The Hinterlands.

I am totally going to buy this game for myself tomorrow. I should get some sleep for the long drive back home tomorrow.

PS fuck whoever decided Sera was gay and not at least bi.
creeping intensifies

Glass

Is the hinterlands meant to be devoid of music? My friend is exploring it and has put spotify on, the game is that quiet outside of combat.

Lady Gaia

Is the hinterlands meant to be devoid of music? My friend is exploring it and has put spotify on, the game is that quiet outside of combat.

Atmospheric music generally fades in and out in most regions. You spend so much time in the game that anything that looped endlessly would get incredibly annoying. The soundscape of nature in the environments is incredibly well done, and the area's musical theme tends to blend in well when it is playing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I honestly couldn't play this game without Tactical Cam. Being able to position my characters in such a way that minimized damage was always rewarding, honestly I like to be in control of everything during battles, and I liked to setup detonation combos and with the AI using the abilities at will it was almost imposible, tactical cam helped a lot with that. Sure battles take longer than normal with tact cam, but I'm ok with that I don't like rushing in the game anyway.

I'm playing it again, this time with an archer, still as fun as ever. this game to me is a lot better than any of the mass effect games.

Atmospheric music generally fades in and out in most regions. You spend so much time in the game that anything that looped endlessly would get incredibly annoying. The soundscape of nature in the environments is incredibly well done, and the area's musical theme tends to blend in well when it is playing.

Eh, I found the music in Inquisition really really lacking. What's there is generally fine. The main theme and the music in some of the big moments are solid. The ambient sounds when out and about exploring are good enough but nothing terribly remarkable.

The biggest problem is that there just isn't enough music to fill out the game. When you have music play outside of cutscenes its just a quick cue and even those get repetitive. If you're going to do a huge open world game where you're exploring a ton, you need a ton of ambient music, like Skyrim.

Granted, the banter bug makes the game awfully quiet too. Inquisition just needed more music and more ambient music for all the exploring you can potentially do, otherwise the game gets awfully quiet.

Labadal

Started this back up after two/three months without playing. I had a terrible experience. I was trying to continue the main story and the game would crash on me repeatedly. I was about to give up entirely, but on my 11th or 12th attempt, the area finally loaded. Loot was annoying to pick up for some reason and I would clip through stuff. Strangely, once I left that are after having defeated the boss, things went back to normal. I wonder what the hell was going on.

Anyway, I now have all companions accessible to me at this point (one more left), but I am probably going to use Vivienne and Solas in the mage role, Varric as the rogue, and Blackwall will replace Cassandra as the tank. The other characters will have to stay at home and be useless. I will probably bring them with me if they have personal quests, but that's it.

Top Bottom