• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Am I the only one who think that leveling progression in this game is too fast?
I found myself over-leveled in most zones I visited. Perhaps it's because I finished almost every single quests out there?
I love adventuring, but out-leveling the zones & mobs really killed my overall fun. I'm on hard, by the way.

I ignore most of the little sidequests and the levels are mostly just right for me aside from when I went to Fallow Mire just before the final story quest. If you are having it too easy, try bumping it to Nightmare?

I found myself over-leveled in most zones I visited. Perhaps it's because I finished almost every single quests out there?
I love adventuring, but out-leveling the zones & mobs really killed my overall fun. I'm on hard, by the way.

I do not know if I would agree with this... I mean I am about 40 hours in and I just hit level 15 and I haven't done the
Winter Ball
or whatever that mission is called as of yet. I also have only killed one Dragon...

I guess it really depends on how many side quests you do since missions get your more EXP than killing random stuff.

Yes. It definitely is. I'm level 23, and the last story mission I did was at the Winter Palace... Seems great for those people who like to speed through things, though.

I ignore most of the little sidequests and the levels are mostly just right for me aside from when I went to Fallow Mire just before the final story quest. If you are having it too easy, try bumping it to Nightmare?

I do not know if I would agree with this... I mean I am about 40 hours in and I just hit level 15 and I haven't done the
Winter Ball
or whatever that mission is called as of yet. I also have only killed one Dragon...

I guess it really depends on how many side quests you do since missions get your more EXP than killing random stuff.

Yes. It definitely is. I'm level 23, and the last story mission I did was at the Winter Palace... Seems great for those people who like to speed through things, though.

I won't ignore side quests, I just can't.
I did Winter Palace a while ago, at level 18. I've yet to visit Emprise du Lion and I'm already level 20. And from what I've read on the internet, the zone is recommended for level 16+. I guess switching to Nightmare is the only way to go.

I think the exp bonus perks for reading codex also a big source of exp besides side quests. But those are somewhat important for unlocking additional dialogue options.

I kinda have this issue too on the same difficulty, but I'm not sure if it's my fault or the game's for feeling compelled to complete most of an area's side content before progressing. The underrated Kingdoms of Amalur had a similar problem albeit in a much more pronounced fashion. I don't think the devs anticipated that people would want to be completionists so early on. Perhaps they should have, I don't know. What I do know is that the only real alternatives to static levelled zones are scaled ones (which reduce your sense of progression) or drastically reducing the exp awarded by quests and enemies (which would force you to grind and disrupt the pacing).

I'll probably bump it up to nightmare if things get too easy.

Edit: I agree that simply ignoring side content isn't really an option here. Ideally the game would have challenges appropriate for characters lv. 25 and beyond.

kamspy

Playing on PC from the couch. Appreciate the gamepad and console HUD soooo much.

Best game I've played in a few years. Probably put close to 25 hours in this (3 day for me) weekend.

So I just finished
both of the act 2 quests and am about to start What Pride Had Wrought.
How far am I till the end? 63 hours in to be precise.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

I think the game was definitely designed for non-completionists... I truly would welcome a bit more level scaling to be honest, if it meant not over-levelling so many areas.

I'm level 17 at the moment and just finished the Ball mission.... at least I'm on par with the Dragons now though (killed the first 5) - god damn, I love Dragon hunting in this game!

Apparently I'm the only person who thinks leveling in this game takes too LONG. For some reason I'm always entering main story quests near the bottom of the level range, which was doable up until the final mission, whereupon I get totally destroyed.
I find that fight requires way too much micromanagement thanks to the bullshit red lyrium walls and the lyrium ray of doom, and the awful tactical camera just makes it worse. I've made it to what I think is the second stage exactly twice, whereupon everyone gets murdered by demons because it takes all my attention just to keep my mages alive without them being pounded by demons while attacking Corypheus.
A few hours later and I'm so fed up with the game giving me experience in tiny dribs and drabs that I'm about ready to drop to medium or easy and get the final fight out of the way so I can shelve Inquisition for a long while.

If this game were twenty hours shorter, it'd be a lot better. I'm getting perilously close to doubling my Dragon Age 2 time.

UberLevi

Okay, so here's a question about a particular character. I'm on Here Lies The Abyss and have just met up with
Stroud

My special ally
Hawke had the comical/sarcastic personality in Dragon Age 2 but so far he hasn't said anything remotely funny. Is it normal for him to be so serious up to this point?

Okay, so here's a question about a particular character. I'm on Here Lies The Abyss and have just met up with
Stroud

My special ally
Hawke had the comical/sarcastic personality in Dragon Age 2 but so far he hasn't said anything remotely funny. Is it normal for him to be so serious up to this point?

I don't recall anything in the Keep asking if your Hawke was sarcastic or not, and since your DA2 save doesn't carry over directly, I don't know how Inquisition would know what kind of personality your Hawke had. Hell, it doesn't even keep your Hawke's appearance. For reference, my Hawke was pretty serious too, though I played her more straight in DA2 personally.

hemtae

I don't recall anything in the Keep asking if your Hawke was sarcastic or not, and since your DA2 save doesn't carry over directly, I don't know how Inquisition would know what kind of personality your Hawke had. Hell, it doesn't even keep your Hawke's appearance. For reference, my Hawke was pretty serious too, though I played her more straight in DA2 personally.

There is definitely something in the keep asking what Hawke's personality was like. I found my Hawke to be a bit more serious than I liked but he still said some sarcastic quips from time to time.

Tabby

Managed to kill the Hinterlands Dragon with the help of Fade Touched Obsidian and it rewarded me with some T3/T4 mats.
Managed to get rid of a rift +5 levels higher than me and now that I have some Silverite (I've heard that it lets mages and rogues equip Heavy armour though I'm probably wrong on that) I should be able to just steam roll everything.

Nothing says OP like a KE with gear crafted with high level mats and fade touched Obsidian.
Need to see if that Silverite thing works tomorrow.

leng jai

You tell me how to get this and you tell me now. I'll tell you where to find the easter egg of a skeleton washed up on some rocks with a broken boat and nothing but wheels of cheese around his corpse.

It was a huge piece of cheese on a random table in Crestwood. You can't miss it.

Hubble

How are people fighting in combat and upgrading abilities? The game is good but think the combat system is too convoluted.

As controlling one person, I am fighting and selecting main abilities and just letting my squad do what they want. Seems to be working. Yes, you can freeze to control others but think it takes too long.

And when upgrading abilities, I think there is too many especially to map as a button and a pain to tell which can be mapped or not. For example, Sora's Revival ability, you can't map as I assume he does it on his own? So I just run around as one guy selecting the front abilities and let my squad do their thing. Common?

Gvaz

Banned
PIXTARS TIME

Scrooge mcduck?
lo6oyL0.png

This is the area in Storm Coast where you can find the mighty strength tonic. lvl 11
WDa5yfw.png

Where the fuck was this when I could have used it? This is badass
4W9Oqfd.png

holy shit lol
w8Et467.png

Favorite 1h weapon :)
HGdNyTc.png

You know that secret quest? The boss
tjB5GCF.png

I will pick this option next time (warden story spoilers)

Where to find that 1h weapon I mentioned:
pIs5wNR.png

cheeeeeze
0VfPAbW.png

and more...
bbKJvLD.png

I think she has a gravity problem...
v3kP4HE.png

SO MUCH CHEESE
28xNHHQ.png

Nuke Soda

And now I am frustrated fighting the boss
in the fade. Those spiders of his are seriously over powered.

Done playing for tonight, maybe tomorrow I will beat that damn boss.

LX_Theo

Banned
I get the feeling that
Leliana's like this regardless of whether you chose to harden her personality or not in DA:O
Well, yeah.

They don't let you chose if you harden her or not in the Keep. If you want to do something that requires her being hardened in the Keep, they just check if you did her quest it not, which you can set.

I will say, though, that
they go out of their way to give her a role that embraces both routes she could have taken.

Stroud

My special ally

I haven't actually played a playthrough that has
Sarcastic Hawke. But my Diplomatic and Aggressive Hawkes do say different things in Inquisition

PIXTARS TIME
Scrooge mcduck?
lo6oyL0.png

Oh my, where is this?

Well, yeah.

They don't let you chose if you harden her or not in the Keep. If you want to do something that requires her being hardened in the Keep, they just check if you did her quest it not, which you can set.

I will say, though, that
they go out of their way to give her a role that embraces both routes she could have taken.

We do get to choose in the Keep between
Leliana not meeting Marjolaine at all, meeting her but sending her away, or killing Marjolaine. Those effectively determines whether she's hardened or not, yar?

Dmax3901

Finally feeling the region fatigue with Exalted Plains. This zone really doesn't have much going on huh? Somehow the Western Approach (literally a desert) had me way more engaged and keen to explore.

Xeteh

Finally feeling the region fatigue with Exalted Plains. This zone really doesn't have much going on huh? Somehow the Western Approach (literally a desert) had me way more engaged and keen to explore.

There's something about the Exalted Plains that I'm just not a fan of. I feel like I have to power through that area despite the quests there not being much different from any other zone.

Gvaz

Banned
Oh my, where is this?

Ever wanted to know where your bottles were being stored? enter the doors outside jose's room, then take a hard left before the second door.

Yes, there is a path into the basement there that opens up to a side door outside.

It took me 100 hours to realize there was even a path there in the first place.

UberLevi

This game is massive....Anyone else feel like the Knight-Enchanter specialization is just a little too OP?

I've been playing around with the Knight Enchanter since I unlocked it and I feel a little ridiculous. I was having some difficulty on Hard beforehand, but now it's like a cakewalk.

KePoW

Banned
This game is massive....Anyone else feel like the Knight-Enchanter specialization is just a little too OP?

Yes, quite frankly KE still needs to be nerfed a little more

---

I'm about to start my second playthrough... what's the best Rouge specialty class for Nightmare?

Yes, quite frankly KE still needs to be nerfed a little more

---

I'm about to start my second playthrough... what's the best Rouge specialty class for Nightmare?
Probably tempest. Not quite as broken as KE but easily the second most powerful spec in the game.

UberLevi

I'm level 13 with the Knight Enchanter specialization and I still haven't managed to drop a dragon down to more than half health. Am I doing something wrong or am I taking them on too early?

danthefan

I'm level 13 with the Knight Enchanter specialization and I still haven't managed to drop a dragon down to more than half health. Am I doing something wrong or am I taking them on too early?

Probably just a bit early. The Hinterlands is the easiest one I think so start there.

Generally enjoying the game (combat's a bit dull and trite, but eh, whatever). I think my biggest nitpick is that I find it really odd that your character can model any type of armor when you're modifying/crafting gear, regardless of whether or not your class can actually use it. I found it particularly strange that my dwarf rogue can be shown wearing a mage robe, despite the fact that the garment is locked to mages only and dwarfs can't be mages.

Generally enjoying the game (combat's a bit mashy and trite, but eh, whatever). I think my biggest nitpick is that I find it really odd that your character can model any type of armor when you're modifying/crafting gear, regardless of whether or not your class can actually use it. I found it particularly strange that my dwarf rogue can be shown wearing a mage robe, despite the fact that the garment is locked to mages only and dwarfs can't be mages.

There are actually non-class restriction materials later in the game. You can craft a heavy armor for your mage, leather armor for warrior, etc.

Carn82

I'm still +- 10 hours in; how does the inventory system work regarding Valuables? I can mark gear as valuable, and then?

Top Bottom